Coming out – Part I
What I can’t figure out is why that has to be found out on a blog instead of from the hemotologist?
Um…still not getting why heparin and/or lovenox is not an option here?
I think you should be able to find a hematologist who will work with your using NFP.
These excerpts from the comments to my last post were swirling around in my head today as I drove back and forth to yet another doctor appointment. I realized that there really aren’t a whole bunch of complicated, intertwined issues going on here as it seemed when I typed out that post last night. It really just comes down to one thing: whether or not I am ready to say that I am Catholic.
Because if I’m not Catholic then I’ll just use some sort of contraception (other than the Pill) and this whole dilemma goes away. I’d probably still do NFP but for now, while I’m on Coumadin, it would tie all this up neatly to have a backup for peace of mind in case I screw up my charts.
And if I’m Catholic and I truly have faith in the Church, its teachings on contraception and all, then it’s time to “come out of the closet” (so to speak). There really aren’t that many decisions to be made here if I’m willing to firmly proclaim my faith to any doctor and say, “I am Catholic. I am not willing to use contraception. I would not be willing to abort a pregnancy. These beliefs are non-negotiable, and you need to help me find a solution that accomidates them.” I don’t even necessarily have to switch doctors if I’m willing to be honest and unwaivering about what I believe with the ones I have (though I probably will switch for other reasons).
After all the spiritual flailing I’ve done these past few months it looks like I’ve reached a fork in the road. A decision is required. If I don’t have faith in the Church, if I’m not Catholic, then I need to just do NFP + backup contraception and stay on Coumadin since that’s by far the easiest option*. And, if I do have faith in the Church, which I think I do, then it’s time to start talking about it, and living it.
* To answer some questions from the comments to the last post about drug alternatives: aspirin isn’t strong enough to be used as a treatment for an existing clot; heparin requires hospitalization to administer (from what I understand — anyone know of oral heparin?) so it’s not given for long-term treatment; and Lovenox shots (a.k.a. low molecular-weight heparin) would cost me about $1,700/month out of pocket and is not proven to be safe during breastfeeding. The main treatment options for DVT are listed here.
New here? Come say hi on Twitter at @jenfulwiler!