7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 26)

7 quick takes sm 7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 26)
— 1 —

7qt26 sunny 7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 26)I used to have wonderfully romantic feelings about winter, but this year I hated it. I’ve always been a whiner about extreme temperatures both hot and cold, but this season I found myself unusually sensitive to cold and experienced a new level of misery when the thermometer dropped below 40. (OK, I’m lying to save face with my northerner readers. The whining started at 59.)

Anyway, normally the return of warm temperatures depresses me, but this week I am thrilled to see that we’ll have highs in the 70’s and lows in the 60’s. Also, over the past few months I repeatedly made dramatic, fist-shaking proclamations that I will “never” complain about the heat again. We’ll see how long that lasts.

— 2 —

saving dinner 7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 26)As requested from my last post about the “Saint Diet”, here are some example meals that I’ve been eating lately:

• BREAKFASTS: Steel-cut oats; Bulgarian yogurt (no added sugar) with fruit; scrambled eggs with pre-prepared frozen “skillet” veggies; (if I’m in a hurry or too tired to deal I have something quick from the snacks list and eat more later)

• LUNCHES: Salad with hardboiled eggs; buttered whole-grain brown rice with edamame, topped with cheese (very yummy!); sandwich with Ezekiel (flourless) bread; leftovers from dinners; microwaved frozen veggies with rice
  • DINNERS: Beef stew with lots of veggies; chicken rice broccoli casserole; cheeseburgers and coleslaw (no bun for me); shrimp/chicken stir fry; 13 bean chili with rice; sandwiches on Ezekiel bread; various casseroles that don’t use pasta; anything from the wonderful, must-have cookbooks 12 Months of Monastery Soups or Saving Dinner the Low-Carb Way
  • SNACKS: Ezekiel bread with Laura Scudder peanut butter; apples with peanut butter or cheese; almonds; walnuts; hardboiled egg (I keep some prepared at all times); fruit with cheese

monastery soups 7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 26)Some tips:

• Having a cheap rice cooker has made it easy to incorporate whole-grain brown rice into lunches.

• Posting the list of snacks on my refrigerator (and taking care to always have those ingredients on-hand) has helped me make good choices when I’m hungry and overwhelmed.
  • That flourless Ezekiel bread is found in most grocery stores’ freezer sections. I keep it in the fridge and always eat it lightly toasted (it’s not very good plain but is delicious toasted).
  • Taking time on the weekends to plan meals for the week — including breakfast and lunch — was absolutely critical in the first few weeks.
— 3 —

7qt26 broccoli 7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 26)Speaking of food, I’m having to re-adjust to watching the amounts of vitamin-K-rich veggies that I eat since I’m on Coumadin (warfarin). Since Coumadin thins the blood by impairing the body’s use of vitamin K, dietary intake of foods like broccoli, spinach, lettuce, cabbage, asparagus, etc. can make Coumadin work too much or too little. I already have to have my blood tested weekly to make sure it’s at the right level of “thinness,” and when I forget and change the amounts of food with vitamin K that I’ve been eating, it usually means that I buy myself an extra blood test since it throws everything off.

— 4 —

That reminds me…one post I’ve been meaning to write for a while is on the topic of dealing with medical professionals when you have religious or other ethical objections to the course of treatment they recommend.

7qt26 stethoscope 7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 26)When I was first diagnosed with the clotting disorder after getting a deep vein thrombosis while pregnant with #2, everything seemed so difficult. My cardiologist, hematologist and obstetrician were all flabbergasted that not only would I not agree to not have any more kids but that I wasn’t open to using contraception — a huge issue since my treatment required Coumadin and it is critical not to conceive while you’re on Coumadin. It was all such a stressful mess, especially since I had only very recently come to embrace these beliefs (I wasn’t even Catholic yet) and felt weird to suddenly have to defend them. (I wrote about my struggles with it at the time here).

Interestingly, things are fine now, and I didn’t even have to switch doctors. I’ve learned a lot about navigating these types of situations that I’ll hopefully be able to put down on paper one day. Anyone else have any tips?

— 5 —

I’ve found that having a newborn is great practice for trying to live in the moment and not worry about the future. As a control freak, it’s very tempting for me to freak out about all sorts of new baby stuff. “What if she doesn’t sleep tonight since she’s been asleep all day?!” “What if she catches that stomach bug and loses too much weight?” “What if nothing helps with my low milk supply issues?!” These sorts of thoughts run through my mind all day.

I’ve been pretty good about letting go of these thoughts and just dealing with the situations that are in front of me right now. And I’ve discovered that half the things I tended to worry about never come to pass anyway, and the other half wouldn’t have been helped by stressing about it ahead of time. It’s almost as if it were a pointless waste of time to sit around and fixate on what might happen in the future. Whaddayaknow.

— 6 —

I had a great learning experience about the above lesson when, earlier this week, a stomach bug ran through the house and not only were my three toddlers constantly throwing up and having explosive diarrhea, but the people who were there to help us (my aunt and mom) got sick as well, leaving us with little help.

If you had told me a few months ago that two weeks after the baby was born I’d be cleaning up after everyone throwing up everywhere, I would have spent an obscene amount of time stressing out about how terrible it would be. But it actually wasn’t as bad as it sounds. My husband, the baby and I didn’t get very sick (yet!), another friend stepped up to lend a hand, and it was a good opportunity to be thankful for having a husband who’s so hard-working, helpful and laid back. We frequently found ourselves laughing at the absurdity of it all. If I had worried about this in advance it would have been a complete waste of time.

— 7 —

Yesterday I saw the kids playing outside with something that came from a box Yaya brought from her attic, some junk that had been sitting there from my husband’s college years. I did a double-take when I saw my four-year-old pouring sand into some contraption with a long hose and thought, “Is that a beer bong?!”

It was a perfect “old life meets new life” tableau. And, as it turns out, beer bongs make great sand table toys.

—————-

I look forward to reading your posts!

1. Blair\’s Blessings
20. Mrs. C.
21. Meg @ Tasteful Insight
22. Kacie @ Papua Girl in Dallas
23. Tracy@The Secret of Living
24. Loretta @Graceunbound
25. Sara@coffeerandoms
26. Kaycee (In The Moment)
27. Ingrid Airam
28. Denise @ Full Nest
29. Amanda @ Housewife Wannabe
30. majellamom
31. Nicole @ As Many As We\’re Given
32. Milehimama (Mama Says)
33. beckygiggles2
34. Sarah @This Heavenlylife
35. Joy B.
36. Trena @ The Third Prayer
37. Salome Ellen
38. warillever
39. Lisa (Are We There Yet?)
40. Lerin @ Beautiful Chaos
50. Tina @ Multiple Mom T
51. Petroni
52. Margaret in Minnesota
53. TwoSquareMeals
54. Aubrey in NE
55. Amy @ Tiny Blessings
56. stephanie (LSL/Bold Avenue)
57. Eliz at Tink\’s Mom
58. Kathryn @ The Bookworm
59. Kristy at Prone to Wander
60. Pam @BeyondJustMom
61. Jaime (ChaseNKids)
62. Peace Garden Mama (Roxane)
63. Aussie Therese
64. Sarah @ Fumbling Toward Grace
65. Catherine
66. Dawn
67. Diane @ At Least Three
68. Elisa @ BlissfulE
69. Becky
70. Gillian-Life of a Photographer
71. Christine @ Good Company
72. Emily in NC

Powered by… Mister Linky’s Magical Widgets.

51 Responses to “7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 26)”
  1. sarah says:

Those are such big meals! Wow.

I love winter, but the extreme cold has begun to get to me now I’m older.

I’m sorry everyone got so sick, but thank heavens you and the baby avoided it, I hope everyone is better now.

2. Christi says:

You asked for tips on working with medical professionals, I think the most important thing (what ever the issue is) Do your own research. If you can go in and sound reasonable (not emotional), that helps. If they realize that you do know the risks, side effects, whatever then they are more likely to work with you.

Even if you don’t have religious or ethical objections, you need to be your own advocate.

3. chickadee@afamiliarpath says:

i think i’m better at dealing with things as they come too rather than knowing in advance and having worry time. because if i have the time, i’m probably going to try to plan it out and dwell on it.

4. Tami Boesiger says:

I appreciate the meal ideas. You’ve had me mulling over your diet and trying to decide if it was something I could do for the long haul.

Have a great weekend, Jennifer.

5. Multiple Mom T says:

Oh My Word! Your Yaya just kills me!! Love the new use for the beer bong!

6. Faith says:

That is hysterical about the beer bong!

7. Laura says:

Thank you so much for the menu ideas. It helps me so much to see what other people “actually” eat!

I totally agree about the wasting time worrying thing! Whatever it was that took up so much brain space, rarely turns out the way I imagined it! Thanks for the reminder.

God Bless!

8. Hope says:

Something that helps me is this saying, “God gives grace for the situation, not the imagination.”
    I have the wildest imagination some days.

9. Elizabeth says:

LOL! Daddy’s beer bong makes a comeback as…..TODDLER TOY! Hilarious!

Jen, I so relate to the staying in the moment with a newborn. When the twins were born, I forced myself simply to NOT THINK about anything other than what was before me right at the moment. And there was always something to do right at hand. It was a great way to deal with worry. :)

10. Charlotte says:

#5–Amen

#7–Hilarious. I never mastered the art of funneling during my partying/Before Christ days. It only took a couple of attempts for me to learn that it’s a whole lot harder than it looks and that I needed to abandon that endeavor. I can’t believe your kids are using one for a sand toy. We often use ordinary household items as sand toys–but this one takes the cake. Not sure it would qualify as an “ordinary household item,” though.

11. truthfinder says:

#1- I have made those pronouncements myself this year-let’s see how well I hold up in July and August!
    #7- How funny!

:) Rosemary

P.S. – Any more scorpions?

12. Alice says:

I would love to read that post about dealing with doctors who have different opinions/values than you. I’m a pediatrician and often have the opposite issue…caring for patients who have different values than me. (And I don’t mean different opinions. I’m not so crazy of a control freak as to think all my patients must listen to me and do everything I say. Sometimes though it’s figuring out how to care someone with very different values/ethical standards that is tricky.)

Anyway…write the post! I want to read it.

13. Laura says:

I just got my National Catholic Register out of my mailbox. Congratulations on your front page article!!!
    God Bless!

14. Shelly W says:

Oh my goodness, I’m so sorry you’ve (almost) all been sick this week. I’ve had it too, and it’s miserable! Your situation is WAY worse than mine, so hang in there.

And the beer bong thing? . . . HILARIOUS!!!

15. Kaycee says:

LOL – I’ve been wondering what to do with that old beer bong.

I thought about teaching the kids how to chug with bottles of apple juice, but then decided that would be inappropriate.

Thanks for the tip!

16. Mrs. C. says:

#4 hits close to home for me. My docs have suggested that I have no more children. I’ve had 3 C-sections already, and I have Factor V. I’m at the place where “open to life” meets “serious medical disorder,” and trying to discern if I’m being lead to adopt.

On a lighter note, when my OB told me I couldn’t use the pill or any other hormonal contraceptive, I said, “No problem, since that’s against my religion.” His eyes grew wide as he inquired (with all seriousness) “What type of religion is that?!”
    The irony is: he practices in a Catholic hospital.

17. Rebekka says:

As someone on the other side of the professional/patient relationship I would say: be up front about these things when you meet a new doctor/nurse/etc. Anything “unusual” at all merits a heads-up as long as it is potentially relevant to the relationship – non-contracepting, vegetarianism, medical allergies or contraindicated procedures, etc. Part of the reason doctors and nurses get that look on their face is because they’re thinking “crap, what do I do now?” – but once you know that the patient has special needs, you use those as a jumping off point to start with. If you’re clear from the start about your needs and/or limitations as a patient, you prevent a lot of wasted time on everyone’s part, and save the doctor or nurse or whomever flailing around trying to come up with an alternative at the last minute.

Also, I’m sure your doctors want to make sure you’re making an *informed* decision about your health when it comes to avoiding certain meds or procedures, which may sound like they’re hashing stuff through AGAIN.

18. Joy of Frugal Living says:

#4 – I find usually once you say your part they come up with some sort of adjustment in the plan they wanted. I also left the one practice that was totally unwilling to accept my position. (When I said no to some testing aimed only at abortion, they told me to go home, think about it, and come back with a different answer!) I still get questioned on testing a lot, due to my bad MC history, but they tend to back off pretty quickly. I think dealing with that stuff is often harder to think about than to do. Practice makes it easier.

Thanks for the meal suggestions. I have been thinking about getting the low-carb saving dinner book. Definitely will now!

19. Trena says:

My baby is 6 months and everyday I still worry, “was that nap too long and now she won’t sleep at night?” It never ends!

20. Salome Ellen says:

Thanks for hosting the Quick Takes. My blogging had fallen behind, and they’re just what I needed!

Thanks for the insight into the Saints Diet. The books on eating right and low carbs. I’ve been wondering what was included.

On patient doctor relationship, I’m at a loss. Being Diabetic they suggest I get smart about when I need test and what must be done before they can write the prescriptions. When I did, the nurse told me to quit diganosing she would tell when I needed my blood tested. That little insight led us to I go to the doctor and we have nothing to discuss because I need the test and then we can talk about weather the meds are working which is 2 appoints and TWO Co-Pays! I told him that was a scam!

The beer bong in humerous! What a wonderful use!

22. elizabethe says:

That monastery soups cookbook is great. I second the recommendation.

23. Tracy says:

I’m sorry that everyone was so sick. You didn’t even get a complete babymoon before having to take care of everyone.

That diet does look interesting – enough that I think I will look more into it.

24. reprehriestless warillever says:

re#1: I wrote about how warm it has been up here in New Hampshire. With temps in the 40s my kids think it is summer. They have honnestly asked me to fill the wading pool so they could swim.

re#7 Now I don’t feel so bad letting my kids dance to “Space and Drums” from the Grateful Dead…

25. Aubrey says:

As a doctor, I think it’s important to be honest, and open, and most importantly, just to find a doctor you are comfortable with. Even if your doctor doesn’t agree with all your decisions, they should at least be willing to listen and dialogue with you about them. That is certainly what I try to do – I want to be on a team with my patients – both of us working towards the same goal – to be healthy. But ultimately, it is the patient’s decision about how they want to do things. We can only offer our opinions and experiences. But I know that there are lots of great doctors out there who would share your thoughts on contraception. But we doctors do want to understand where our patients are coming from – hopefully we all take the time to listen.

26. Michelle says:

#4- I have had some experience with this recently. Although I don’t have any serious health issues with my pregnancies, I had problems with my OB/ GYN from the beginning of my last pregnancy. My husband and I had to endure lectures from her because we don’t use contraception, had gotten pregnant eight months after the birth of my son, wouldn’t consider using contraception, wouldn’t get an abortion (nor or in the future), and would not consider getting my tubes tied (and any other form of sterilization). My son was a c- section and we were informed that no doctor would perform more then 3 c- sections on any woman for safety. Which it can be dangerous to have multiple c- sections. Those things are still not a choice for us so we take the risk (that and after some research we had decided we wanted to try for a vaginal or vbac delivery). She was initially unhappy with us wanting to try for a vbac instead of just scheduling another c- section. It seemed to help us to reach a happy compromise that even though we wouldn’t consider the birth control/ abortion options we were open to the c- section if the vbac didn’t work. I didn’t realize that not all doctors are allowed to offer that option since they are required to be at the hospital during the entire labor. We were very blessed in our doctor choices in that way. I did a lot of my own research to become well informed so that I was aware of my choices and the risks. I prayed the entire pregnancy for a vbac and my daughter was indeed born vaginally with no problems three weeks ago. Again we were very blessed. The doctor actually ended up doing everything she could to make sure that our wishes were honored in the end (even if she disagreed with us). By being firm in our resolve we were somehow able to work it all out. I’m sure it helps that having a vbac delivery solved some of her concerns too. We’ll see what happens when or if we get pregnant again. Only time will tell. I don’t know what the exact answer is since so many people don’t respect choosing life these days. Some of my own friends don’t understand why we’d have kids so close together in age or why we’d be happy to do it again. So it’s hard to say what my pro abortion/ pro contraception doctor will say. But it seems like being firm, clear, and well informed about what I wanted the whole way helped.

27. Charlotte says:

i totally missed the link to the monastery soups cookbook the first time i read your quick takes. i think i will love this cookbook. making soup is one of my most favorite things to do. and, i daydream about living in a monastery… thanks for the recommendation!

28. Kate says:

Hm, maybe you should write your own list of “timeless classic children’s toys from real life” and be sure to include that beer bong! LOL. Just imagine how popular you’d be with any other moms around to see your kids playing with that. that’s hilarious.

As a medical professional myself, I empathize with your situation. I was blessed to find a phenomenal Catholic OB, but have dealt with other MDs and nurses in other situations as a nurse myself. I agree with the advice to do some research ahead of time if you anticipate a conflict. Sounding well-read and intelligent helps a shameful amount in contradicting medical advice based on morals and ethics.

Frequently the reaction is just shock at difference. We are used to people being part of the mainstream with regard to most medications and medical decisions. When a patient confronts us with special circumstances it challenges us ethically (I’ve had people on the flip side of my own morals) and clinically. Your clinician then has to reevaluate the course of treatment, which is a GOOD THING but can lead to initial apprehension. Doing the research ahead of time can often provide you with documented use of other treatment options that your clinician may not be aware of yet.

One thing that is almost always an immediate barrier is to walk in with a “know-it-all” mentality. Being open about your religious/moral/medical conflicts while respecting their trained advice can really break down those walls, as well as help you witness to them.

Long response, sorry. I look forward to reading that post whenever you get a chance to write it!

29. Elizabeth says:

Worry is a futile thing,
    It’s somewhat like a rocking chair,
    Although it keeps you occupied,
    It doesn’t get you anywhere!

I just started working with a NaPro Technology counsellor and Dr.
    WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!
    Might be an alternative to NFP for you…..really good statistics.

I bet the cold got to you more because of your weight loss…
    more fat = more insulation…
    Here’s hoping the summer is more comfortable for that reason!
    Pax Christi, EJT

30. Chloe says:

#7 – Hilarious!

I hope that everyone feels much better soon. That stomach bug sounds like no fun at all!

31. TwoSquareMeals says:

I’m with you on #5! I think moving to three kids is the beginning of that lesson. Suddenly things are much less controllable. And it is good for me. Though I don’t know if I could have handled the stomach bug with such good humor!

32. Amy says:

I am really interested in your diet and meals- thanks for sharing! I’m looking to make some changes myself, and have enjoyed reading about the benefits you’ve enjoyed from your big diet changes.

I’m sorry to hear everyone was sick at once- yuck! Hope everyone is feeling better!

My 7 Quick Takes post today is a random collection of thoughts as I’m just returning from a blogcation. Have a great weekend! :)

33. Stephanie says:

Rice cookers are the best! Just one of those things that simplifies life – or at least dinner! :)

I don’t have any tips about dealing with medical professionals when those things come up, but I would definitely be interested in a post on the topic.

34. Jaime (ChaseNKids) says:

This is the first time I’ve did 7 Quick Takes, but I read yours faithfully each week. I’m so sorry your family was sick! How awful. At least you and the baby didn’t catch it.

I appreciate your meal ideas!

I am currently protestant but very conservative and hoping to possibly become catholic at some point. We are in Canada and I have ahd a really hard time finding a midwife that is christian. I wish that I had more advice on standing up for what I believe, but its hard when it feels like you are the only one! They have been shocked that I am having my 3rd child in 3 years and ask questions like whether I am even excited about this baby. I just keep saying (over and over) no we don’t use birth control and we don’t plan on starting, no I don’t want genetic testing because abortion is not an option… and on and on. I hope it gets easier, maybe I’m just spoiled, my Dr before we moved was amazing!! I miss him alot. :)
    Oh, and my 2 toddlers had that same flu/intestine bug this week, I think I did 20 loads of puke/poop laundry!!

36. Pharmgirl says:

#4: To add to what some other health professional commenters have said, a little courtesy can go a long way. When a doctor tells you, “don’t do have another baby or you could die,” don’t act like they’re some sort of Catholic-hating monster who wants to kill your baby and lead you to a life of sin. (Some docs may actually feel that way. If yours does, I humbly suggest you get a new doctor.) Chances are the doctor has seen another woman have a baby under those circumstances and die painfully and far too young (possibly taking the baby with her). If you approach your doctor with the realization that (s)he has seen horrible things happen to other patients and doesn’t want them to happen to you, things will be much easier for both of you.

Also #7: I don’t care who you are, that’s funny right there!

37. Dawn says:

7 Quick Takes – Parenting Paradoxes
    ==================================

Thanks for hosting. I totally agree with #5. It’s one of my favorite things about those early weeks after a new baby. It’s why I like that term “babymoon”.

38. Roxane B. Salonen says:

Jennifer,
    I’ve experienced a medical situation that required changing doctors. I felt, in the end, I was fighting for my baby’s life, so it wasn’t a difficult choice in that regard. But in other ways, it was hard…because it came down to the doc’s refusal to look at my NFP charts, which had evidence my pregnancy could be in danger (I’d miscarried the pregnancy prior). I really felt she saw me as some lunatic Catholic. It was a test of my faith, that’s for sure. I’m glad you were able to ride it out, but it’s really difficult, but also helps you grow in your faith, as you experienced.

39. MamaTod says:

to Anonymous regarding your diabetes testing: My husband’s doctor is willing to schedule the A1C every three months and then see him AFTER he gets the results, so there is only one office visit. The Dr. just faxes the lab work order to the hospital a couple weeks before the next Dr. appointment (I usually call and remind his nurse), hubby goes in at his convenience and has it done. Ditto for annual blood work like cbc, cholesterol, etc.

In reality this not only saves us money on copays, but results in better health care for my husband. He would be unable to take that much time off work some seasons of the year, and, quite frankly, he couldn’t afford to either. He just wouldn’t go.

I hope your Dr. will consider this alternative.

40. Starrball says:

At first I was thinking that those were big meals, even for someone who is pregnant, but I’m thinking now that those are a couple options (but I could be wrong) Very good the baby didn’t get sick!

I linked up.

41. Chris says:

The steel-cut oats also make a good rice substitute. You can cook ‘em with beef, chicken, fish, pork (or just the broth from any of these). Another good idea that’s worked for me: take fresh, raw tomatoes, cut them up and liquefy them in a blender (you’ll need to add some water). You can add fresh onions, carrots, celery, and pretty much any other vegetable that suits your fancy, but tomatoes are a good choice because their strong flavor can actually substitute completely for meat broth. Use this liquid as part or all of the liquid that you add to beans, rice, barley, steel-cut oats, or any other grain. You can also use it as a soup base. When using it for soup, cook it for a couple of hours (fresh tomatoes have an acid flavor that cooking removes). Then add diced vegetables, frozen vegetables, potatoes, your favorite pasta — whatever — and turn it into soup.

Another good idea: keep the waste when you peel carrots, onions, and the like. Also keep your tomato ends and other fresh vegetable throw-away parts. Store them in your refrigerator until you have about a gallon’s worth or so. You can augment this just by cutting up onions, carrots or celery into small pieces, if you like. When you have enough, put the whole thing in a pot, cover with water, add thyme, peppercorns, and a couple of bay leaves. Boil this for two hours or more and strain out the solid stuff. The liquid is a vegetable broth that’s often as flavorful as meat broths and can be used as base for soup or as the liquid to add to rice, beans, barley, steel-cut oats, etc.

Another idea: when you buy rotisserie chicken at the supermarket, keep all the bones and skin after you eat the meat. Throw the bones and skin into a pot with some cut-up vegetables (or your collected throw-away vegetables from above). Add thyme, peppercorns, and a couple of bay leaves and boil the whole mess for an hour or two. There’s usually enough here for a gallon of chicken broth.

42. Frances says:

Congrats on the National Catholic Register article! My husband picked up the paper and said, “hey, isn’t this the ConversionDiary lady?”

43. Headless Mom says:

“Beer bongs make great sand table toys” had me rolling!

Thanks for the laugh tonight!

44. Carol @SheLives says:

Am new to your blog. What an interesting idea for a post! Quick takes sort of wraps up the week? Collects thoughts all into one post? I love the idea!

And I’m certain I could make a mess of the whole thing in no time flat.

Love your blog!

#3 I never knew those vegies were blook thinners. Answers my questions about why I bleed when the dog touches me with paw/nails. I’ve been feasting on aspargus and broccoli and lettuce, etc!

46. Rina says:

Jennifer, I’ve been reading your blog for a little while now and I was recently awarded the Sisterhood Award. I am supposed to pass the award on to others, and I chose you as someone to pass it along to. If you are interested in receiving it and passing it along you can pick it up here:

47. Jess says:

My father also had serious blood clotting issues and was on high doses of coumadin and 12 Asprin per day to control it. It is a difficult medical issue to manage. I’m sorry you have to deal with it.

Your idea of keeping snack ideas on the fridge is genius! Thank you!

Today was the Second Scrutiny service. Easter is right around the corner – I can’t wait!

48. Chana says:

My third pregnancy was quite complicated and the OB/GYN kept insisting on tubal ligation after the unavoidable C-sec. Finally fed up I told him that if he was so eager to perform another procedure we should agree on a LIPOSUCTION!!! He laughed and finally gave up.

49. Becky says:

Jen–I googled “Catholic sugar addiction” and was led to you! Can you tell me what your diet is like now? Are you still eating flour-less and sugarless? I’d like to try just to see what it does for me. I have sugar addiction (I think) that is sometimes manageable, but sometimes not….Would love to know what your diet is like after 4 after this post! Thanks!

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] of fresh cream and nutmeg. Yes, yes, it must be the nutmeg that had me eyeing that old beer bong (from #7 here) every time the thought of eggnog came to mind. Surely this was not another case of delightful [...]

2. […] UPDATE: I posted some sample meals in #2 here. […]