7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 27)

7 quick takes sm 7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 27)

— 1 —

I loooooove the song from this video, but I can’t find it anywhere. Does anyone know where I could get it? I’m pretty sure it’s called Jesus Christ, You Are My Life by Msgr. Marco Frisina and that it was the theme to World Youth Day 2005. I found a different version of it on iTunes, but can’t seem to get this exact one. Any tips?

— 2 —

If you were to look up “setting yourself up for failure” in an English phrase dictionary, this is what you would see:

7qt27 bunny 7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 27)
Yaya brought this life-sized Easter bunny when she came to stay this week. It’s evidently something she’s had for a while that she wants to keep nice, so she’s adamant that the kids not touch it. It is sitting in the middle of our living room. Our older kids are ages 4, 2 and 1. This awesomely huge bunny has his own little outfit, an Easter basket, floppy ears and moveable arms and legs. And they’re not supposed to touch it.

About every ten minutes my husband and I have to run off to another part of the house to secretly laugh hysterically when Yaya reacts with shock that one of the kids is yet again playing with the rabbit. Many a joke along the lines of “Maybe we could put a mountain of candy in the middle of the floor and tell them not to look at it!” has been made.

— 3 —

7qt27 sxsw 2009 7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 27)I have to admit, I am glad that SXSW is finally over. Every year I feel all this pressure to care about it or participate somehow, despite the fact that I’m not a live music fan. It was almost unbearable when we lived downtown. I’d look out the window and see hoards of people walking from venue to venue and could hear drums and guitar riffs floating through the air at all hours, and I’d be overwhelmed with these conflicting feelings of, “I need to get in on the action! But I hate overcrowded live music shows! But I might be missing something if I don’t go!”

I thought I would escape all that when we moved out here to the hinterlands, but last week all our neighbors were buzzing excitedly about who was going to see which bands, leaving me once again with that angsty feeling of not wanting to go but not wanting to miss anything. (…And wondering which body parts they sold to be able to afford the gazillion-dollar wristbands.)

— 4 —

real food 7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 27)I’m hoping to be able to make it to the local farmer’s market this weekend, inspired in part by a great book I just finished, Real Food: What to Eat and Why by Nina Planck.

We’re also looking into purchasing local, grass-fed beef after tasting it at our friends’ house a couple weeks ago (they blogged about it here). It was so moist and buttery and delicious, I can’t wait to get my hands on some! I also like the idea of buying meat from animals who were treated well and slaughtered in a humane way.

— 5 —

7qt27 table 7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 27)Last night my husband and I left the older kids with Yaya and went to a “salon dinner” where I had the pleasure of meeting Fr. Robert Sirico and Kris Alan Mauren, founders of the Acton Institute.

I like the concept of these salon dinners: after a social hour, people are mixed up and seated at tables with six other people for dinner (nobody is put at the same table with their spouse to encourage socializing), and everyone at the table discusses the evening’s topic (in this case it was about the future of entrepreneurship). Then, after dinner, everyone gets together in a group, discusses the topic some more, and listens to a presentation by an expert on the subject (in this case it was Fr. Sirico).

In a different phase of life I’d love to host an event like this. It’s a great way to meet interesting people and hear all sorts of different perspectives on a topic.

— 6 —

7qt27 rattlesnake 7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 27)Evidently rattlesnake is pretty tasty. So says my dad, anyway. He once killed one when he was working on a friend’s ranch in Mexico and the family cook deep-fried it for him. Evidently the pieces of meat started “crawling” in the pan when they put salt on them! Yuck.

Although evidently he’s not the only one who thinks it’s good — here’s a rattlesnake recipe page. Umm…where does one acquire the meat for these recipes??

— 7 —

According to the Parents’ Sleep Index it feels like I got about six hours of sleep last night, even though I really only got five. I think that’s about right. I’m really tired, but not as tired as I would feel if I only got five hours of sleep and wasn’t expecting it. Funny how that works.

—————

I look forward to reading your posts!

[I’ve had to temporarily take down the list of links for technical reasons. Hope to be able to re-post it soon!]

photo #5 by TimmyGUNZ

52 Responses to “7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 27)”
  1. Eliz says:

That bunny is hilarious. I can’t wait to hear what happens to it in the next two weeks.

2. Dawn says:

7 Quick Takes – Unthemed

——————————

I love your Yaya stories! I also enjoyed your PSI. I totally agree about the how your expectations affect your reality.

I posted a similar (but much simpler and less clever) “formula-kind-of-post”. You might enjoy it, although it seems like ya’ll are pretty smart. You might just get bored!!

Thanks for hosting!

3. Eliz says:

Also, what about the blogging and interactive stuff at SXSW? What was the buzz about that? I would have loved to go to some of those panel discussions.

4. fierybones.com says:

fizy.com found a couple versions: here

5. puellapaschalis says:

Re. 6: well, you find a rattlesnake and kill it before it kills you :) (I’m guessing so, at least…)

6. Olson Family says:

I don’t have any quick takes for you but thank’s for the Yaya Rabbit story. Great chuckle to start off my morning

7. bobd says:

You know what I thought of when I saw that picture of that gigunda bunny rabbit in the living room and your relating to us the command given by their grandma to them? The story of Adam and Eve. I know they were not that young. But a lot younger than probably we think. It looks to me like they were set up. And all this talk about their sin being one of pride. If they were guilty of that they wouldn’t be in heaven-which they are. I think there’s much more going on in that story than we presently know.

One other aside on that story concerning the presence of the devil which, I’m sure, certainly surprised them. Abbot and Costello did a skit once where they visited a bookie. And the bookie said he had a great bet for them. Where only 1 horse was running and it was 5/2. Obviously the odds should have told them something. Anyway they put down their money and listen to the race on the radio. All along their horse is in front with no mention of any other horses but just at the wire the announcer yells and here comes Mattress who gets up to win by a nose. And Costello says where did he come from?

8. Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience says:

True — the song is breathtaking, Jen!

9. Tami Boesiger says:

Ew. That rattlesnake story creeped me out.

10. TwoSquareMeals says:

I love my local farmer’s market! And we do a CSA that allows us to buy beef and pork, raised locally and humanely. We switched a couple of years ago to buying mostly local and only humanely raised meat, though I have yet to find a good source for bacon…

11. Cathy Adamkiewicz says:

That Salon Dinner is a very intriguing idea! I’d love to host something like that. Was it a fund raiser?

12. Betty Duffy says:

I love this idea of a “Salon.” There are so few opportunities to rabble rouse these days, and it looks like this one is sponsored by the CHurch? Why aren’t we doing this everywhere? I always thought the “Theology on Tap” idea would take off…but what happened to that?

13. Charlotte says:

2.I’m with you on the eater bunny thing. Hilarious. I’ve pretty much gotten to that place of not having anything in my home that isn’t to be touched. If something gets broken, that’s one more thing I can throw away.

3. I went to their web site a few weeks ago. I couldn’t believe the hugeness of the whole shebang. I love live music, but I rarely brave those types of crowds anymore. I guess I’m getting old.

4. And, thanks for another great cookbook recommendation…

14. Tracy says:

Our farmer’s market opens tomorrow for the first time this year. I’m planning on going too. I love the giant bunny- but yes, it’s a bit about saying, “don’t think about pink elephants.” to say “don’t touch the giant cute bunny!”

15. majellamom says:

You go out and shoot the rattlesnake, of course!

I don’t know though…there may be a day when those big specialty markets sell rattlesnake meat…I’ve never seen it though!

(To be fair, I’ve never shot a rattlesnake, either…I live in fear of seeing one someday, but haven’t seen any yet, even though they do live out here…)

Maybe next week you’ll have something about the giant Easter bunny and scorpions?? ;)

16. Sarah says:

Great post and thank you again for hosting!

I’ve been meaning to read that book by Nina Planck. We too love eating “real food” and I’m constantly learning more about it! I’m the crazy person at the store reading the back of boxes and asking where the kale is located. I know you’ve been recommended this book a million times, but I can’t help but suggest reading “Nourishing Traditions” as well! We eat somewhere in the middle of the two, but it is a great resource.

My MIL sounds similar to your YaYa sometimes. She decorated for Easter recently with a ceramic train (that lights up!) (my son is currently infatuated with any and all things wheeled and has just discovered the joy of trains. By the way he is two) and a big basket of plastic Easter eggs in that horrible plastic grass on a shelf about four inches from the floor. And she can’t seem to understand why he won’t leave the train alone (did I mention it is on a table right at his eye level?) or why there is plastic grass and eggs everywhere and why they are breaking – because they look just like balls and he throws them.

Finally, we just moved the basket on top of the fridge to resist temptation. But that didn’t make her very happy, as how could it be decorative on top of the fridge? :)

Ugh.

Anyway, hope you have a lovely weekend!

Best,
    Sarah

PS – Five weeks till I can eat sushi again.

17. Mrs. C. says:

I read Real Food, and also Michael Pollan’s books. Then I nearly couldn’t eat for a week!

18. graceunbound says:

Love it! Those salon dinners actually sound kind of fun, and I am laughing so hard about the rabbit! Seriously, don’t touch it? Hilarious!

I’m kind of with you on the live music event thing. Every summer we have a Jazzfest, and every summer I say “We’re gonna go”. And then feel guilty because we don’t take advantage of the opportunity and might be missing out. (Except ours is free, except for the shuttle bus to get there…) And yet…I don’t LIKE crowds. And I’m not even a huge jazz fan, it depends very much on the artist. So why do I feel that I must go?

19. Elizabeth says:

Gotta love Yaya. At least you and your husband are getting a kick out of it! I love the things that are brought to very young children without thinking!
    Have a nice weekend.
    Stop by my place if you can…I have prayer request on my blog…
    Pax Christi.

20. The Bookworm says:

LOL at the thought of Yaya trying to police that out-of-bounds Easter bunny!

21. Amity says:

Where do you get rattlesnake? You chase it through the woods and shoot it in your neighbors’ yard, in front of their two small children. (This happened at our place when I was seven and my brother was five. It was very exciting.)

22. Jessica says:

That bunny is amazing. “Don’t touch”? ha!

23. Laura says:

My little kids would probably be afraid of a bunny that big! Thanks for hosting.
    God Bless

24. Stephanie says:

Um, I don’t think I could even stay away from that bunny. It’s way to cute! I would have to make it wave. And maybe we would dance around the living room…yeah, I think you’d have better luck with that candy mountain! ;)

Also, I’ve had rattlesnake at a restaurant. It wasn’t terrible, just kinda tasted like really greasy chicken. I think there might be rattlesnake ranches where they raise them, but I don’t think you can just get it in a store anywhere.

25. Big Tex says:

Only had Rattler in Arizona, but I was party to a Rattler killing in my days living in Austin. Worked at a local semiconductor company on the NE side of town, which is still relatively undeveloped. We were doing some work with the electric utility in the field, and needed to move an old dog house… and there it was. It was a danger to those working nearby, so we took care of it. :-) My colleague took the rattle home for his boys.

26. Melanie B says:

I love the Yaya rabbit story. Classic.

The salon sounds awesome. We need to organize something like that around here.

BettyDuffy,

Since Theology on Tap is organized on the local level, it depends on your diocese. In Boston where I live it’s still going strong. My sister has gone the last two months and loved it, met lots of good people.

27. Kaycee says:

Thanks again Jen for hosting this, it’s been a great exercise for me and I’ve met some awesome people.

I’ve had rattlesnake before. It’s not too bad, but I dont think I’d go out of my way for it or try to prepare it myself. You know, because of the whole poison thing.

28. Janelle says:

This guy says you can email him and he’ll send you an MP3 of that song. I love it too!

I thoroughly enjoy reading your blog. Blessings!
    P.S. Your littlest one is gorgeous!

29. elizabeth says:

I felt the SAME way when we lived in SXSW territory, but I got over it… ;-)

The bunny is hilarious, I can’t believe though that the kids are expected not to touch it/him/her. :D

That’s like my having chocolate in the house and not partaking in it!

LOVE your blog!

30. Patrick O'Hannigan says:

Long ago at a folk music festival in California, one of the performers sang a song with the following chorus:

“I’d want rattlesnakes for breakfast, and sugar in my stew;
    whiskey in my coffee
    and a dream to hold onto.
    A million stars above me
    to count before I sleep;
    rattlesnakes for breakfast
    and a dream that I can keep.”

I found the lyric so memorable that I wrote it down afterward..

31. KimK says:

I know that song! My husband and I took the Youth Group to WYD 2002 and we had to bring the CD back. Looks like Peeper found you an MP3 link, but if you’re interested, the version on the CD is also exactly the one on the video, and it has some other pretty great songs. “Daughter of God” is particularly wonderful. My 4 year old and I dance around the house whenever it comes on. http://www.spiritandsong.com/store/music/11717

32. Amber says:

Between the giant bunny, the poor cows, and the rattlesnake-eating, this week’s quick takes are pretty horrifying. I think I’ll have a salad for lunch. A big one.

33. politicalhousewyf says:

Glad to hear I’m far from the only one with wildly unrealistic grandparents. Sheesh… it’s like my parents and in-laws have totally forgotten what little kids are like!

But we don’t have rattlesnakes here… that’s my excuse on skipping the recipes…

34. Stephanie says:

Oh I hear you on SXSW! I was so bummed because we were going to attend a special St. Joseph day mass (with a reception after) at the Cathedral, and we drove for an HOUR trying to find a parking space and finally had to give up and go home. :-P It was nuts!

35. lyrl says:

No comments on any particular quick take, but I love how you always illustrate your Friday posts. Great job finding meaningful pictures for so many of your “quick takes”!

36. Maggie says:

That bunny would scare me if I were a small child, even if he does have candy.

Happy Friday!

37. blog nerd says:

Nerd Husband tells patients to read Real Food. We love it. Planck does a great job. Grass fed beef is delicious, isn’t it? It’s tough to get around here.

38. Pharmgirl says:

The bunny story was hilarious!

39. Love2Learn Mom says:

ROFL about the bunny! We once had a relative stay at our house with their kids who requested that I have my kids follow one of their house rules. The rule was to absolutely not have the children touch any doors or windows in the house. Yikes!

Thanks for the laughs and thanks for hosting.

40. Maria says:

I’m new to blogging and stumbled upon you page last week. I look forward to reading more. Thanks for sharing!

41. Curryba says:

That bunny is way too much!

Thanks as always for your blog!!

42. Alexis says:

I HEART Fr. Sirico! The man is articulate and convincing.

43. j. christian says:

I bet rattlesnake is good with some cilantro.

44. Organizing Mommy says:

Thanks for coming to my blog to leave a comment about the blitz. I’m honored that you spent so much time reading about organizing from my blog. I hope it is a source of encouragement for you. We’d love to have you blitz whenever you are able! God bless you. I can’t believe the big bunny sits there and they can’t touch it. I couldn’t handle the clutter of it. (sorry)

45. Jaime says:

I haven’t done my 7 Takes yet…maybe in another day or so. But I have to tell you, I was feeling blue and your story about the bunny made me chuckle. I truly love your YaYa stories!

46. ABBEY says:

Just found you thanks to Aussie Mom! Love your blog. One of the attorneys that I support is an entertainment lawyer and attended the festival, mainly for PR. Said he was EXHAUSTED! I’m going to post a link to you on my sidebar!

Blessings,
    Abbey

P.S. Don’t touch the rabbit!!!

47. Shelly W says:

One of these days I’ll be back to post here. But not this week. Or next. Because I’m on vacation. I love reading your Seven Quick Takes, though!

48. Lynne says:

Thanks for posting the link to the song Peeper! I just bought it and am listening to it now…

49. If you want to buy real estate, you would have to receive the home loans. Moreover, my brother commonly utilizes a student loan, which is really fast.

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. […] similar to what Professor Robert Koons has done with his apologetics series, as well as those salon dinners we sometimes go to. If I had more free time, I would make sure we had something like this every […]

2. […] is the same friend who occasionally hosts the salon dinners where everyone gets together over a meal to talk about some big issue facing society. The dinners […]