7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 84)

7 quick takes sm 7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 84)

— 1 —

“How are things coming on the book?” you ask? Wait, what? You didn’t ask? You couldn’t care less? Well, I’m going to tell you anyway because this is Quick Takes and I need something quick to write about: I just passed the 100,000 word mark for this draft (277 pages) and am just now introducing the big climax, so…I’ll have a lot of cutting to do in revision. The good news is that I think it’s a fun, interesting read — as much as a story that involves me can be fun and interesting, that is.

— 2 —

But here’s what I keep thinking about:

Stephenie Meyer wrote Twilight in three months with three kids under five? With no nannies or anything? And it’s now sold 70 million copies and spent 143 weeks in the New York Times bestseller list? THREE MONTHS? Umm…wow.

— 3 —

A few people who saw this tweet asked: “Why haven’t you called an exterminator?” (Or, more like, “WHY HAVEN’T YOU CALLED AN EXTERMINATOR?!?!?!“) You see, it’s not that simple. The problem is this: long term, it does help to have the house exterminated. But in the short term it always brings the scorpions out of the woodwork, and there are inevitably a few hardy specimens who are only irritated by our measly chemicals and are now out for revenge, as I once recounted in this post. So the reason I keep stalling on calling the exterminator is because I never feel like, “Hey, tomorrow would be a good day to have a bunch of angry, undead scorpions roaming around the house!”

— 4 —

7qt84 7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 84)I am in love with the Dominicans. For those of you who aren’t familiar with them, the Order of Preachers is an 800-year-old religious order whose motto is contemplare et contemplata aliis tradere — “contemplate, and share the fruits of your contemplation.” I recently went to the local convent of the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist (perhaps better known as “the nuns who were on Oprah”) for evening prayer, and they just about had to kick me out. I read The New Wine of Dominican Spirituality: A Drink Called Happiness by Paul Murray, OP and was almost in tears I liked it so much. Anyway, all that is to say: if anyone wants to tell me about Dominican stuff, I’m all ears. It’s a subject of great fascination for me right now.

— 5 —

One of the things that struck me when I was first looking at Catholicism was that there were all these different orders within the Church. Not that everyone has to join one, of course, but I thought it was so beautiful that there are so many rich options for people to serve the Lord in different ways depending on the particular gifts that the Holy Spirit has given them. There are the Dominicans, the Franciscans, the Benedictines, the Carmelites, the Jesuits, the Cistercians and a bunch more, and most have lay orders (for people who are not priests or consecrated religious). If anyone is associated with a religious order, I’d love to hear about it: How did you know you were called to that particular order? How has being a part of it helped you serve God?

— 6 —

7qt84 wine 7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 84)My husband was telling me that he once saw someone from the Gallo Family Vineyards speak, and this guy (one of the Gallo brothers, I think) was saying that it’s silly when people write them off as having low-quality wine, considering that they have six Ph.D.’s on staff full-time from the University of California Davis’ famous Viticulture and Enology program. Given that, we figured that their lower-priced wine probably had great bang for the buck, and, sure enough, it did. We had an $8 bottle of their Sonoma Cabernet the other weekend, and it was excellent!

— 7 —

Back to writing. It’s not looking good for my deadline of the 20th, but I’m going to keep at it. Thanks for your prayers!

———————-

I look forward to reading your posts!

1. Lady Caitie
2. Glam-O-Mommy Take 2
3. Kristen @ St Monica’s Bridge
4. Brianna
5. Nicole @ surviving endometriosis
6. Blair’s Blessings
7. Leah @ Unequally Yoked
8. Joe @ Defend Us In Battle!
9. Gae @ Cherished Hearts At Home
38. Barbara C.@Box of Chocolates
39. Holly @ Hollison Journey
40. Milehiama @ Mama Says
41. Matching Moonheads
42. Mrs. Bubbles
43. How To Amuse Toddlers @ YoungMom
44. Elena @MyDomestic Church The Rock Band edition!
45. Judy @ A Thankful Woman’s Book of Blessings
66. Gillian – Life of a Photographer
67. Tina @ Multiple Mom
68. Monica @ And I’ll Raise You 5
69. Bonnie @ Learning Newlywed
70. Jillian @ Welcome To Jillville
71. Christian H @ Thinking Grounds
72. Amy Jane (Life Untangling)

Powered by… Mister Linky’s Magical Widgets.

54 Responses to “7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 84)”
  1. Lady Caitie in the Pretty City says:

Can't wait to read that book!!! :) Your hard work will pay off! :) Will read it with a bottle of Gallo! :)

2. Brianna Heldt says:

Being from California originally, I'm very familiar with Gallo, and even had a friend who worked there for a time. The wine tasted good to me!

Can't wait to read your book!

3. Jaimie says:

First of all, I love Ellen. I mean, I LOVE Ellen.

Secondly, as a writer who has written 4 drafts of her urban fantasy, who has extensively researched publishing and is querying a novel right now…

Stephanie Meyer's success is a fluke. I mean, just listen to her. Never written before, no rewrites, agented with 15 queries to THE most desired agency in agentdom, Writer's House…

She is a great person, really nice and well-meaning, and her book isn't terrible (I'd give it a 4 out of 10), but her success is a fluke. All success is a fluke to some degree, but hers… I think God made a bet with Satan.

4. Nicole says:

Your 7 Quick Takes inspired me to get a post done tonight. After having Claire it seems time is just flying by. You left a comment a couple months back on my blog – thanks for stopping by. I was so excited to see your comment about NFP that I had plans to write you back about Creighton. Well I have since had a baby… and you can see how time gets away from me. I'll write that email some night… for now, know that I am up to my neck in new baby :) Love your posts!

5. Blair says:

I'm a big Dominican fan too! One of my dearest friends is a Sister in Nashville. I got to visit with my baby for her final vows a couple years ago, what a great memory! Here are some photos:

As for lay orders, I was involved in one for several years. Initially I got many spiritual benefits, but my involvement ended on a bad note with the scandal of the founder last year. So I'm still dealing with the spiritual and emotional repercussions from that. Hopefully some other readers have had positive experiences!

Best wishes these next few weeks with your book-writing!

6. Mindyleigh says:

I too am in love with the Dominicans. They serve at our local Cathedral, and I feel a strong calling to their spirituality. We are in the process of forming a lay chapter and I am doing some preliminary reading and study. I also receive spiritual direction from a Dominican priest.

The way I discerned this calling was through the awareness of holy love that developed in my soul toward them…I feel called to pray for them and collaborate with them for Christ. I also feel my charism is lived out through contemplation and teaching. So it fits.

7. Joe (Defend Us In Battle) says:

Yeah, I think the Dominicans are the cat's meow as well. Since I too have seen them in action in Anchorage, as WELL as the Dominican Sisters in Ann Arbor… I am pretty impressed with that order :)

8. Jamie says:

I was a postulant with the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist for a few months, and they are just so beautiful! Dominicans are just so filled with joy! I love them so, so much and I'm discerning a call to the Third Order Dominicans.

But I'm also very much in love with Carmelites… :)

9. Michelle says:

I can't wait to read your book!

As for Stephenie Meyer…the book isn't a complicated read (no offense to Ms. Meyer…I am a lover of her Twilight Saga myself) and I could imagine that once the idea was in her head it probably didn't take all that long to get it out on paper.

I am a fan of the Carmelites! Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Pray for Us!

Love your takes, as usual. Prayers for you as you soldier on in that book!

10. Tami Boesiger says:

Keep at it, Jennifer! I agree it is depressing watching that clip on Stephenie Meyer, but you're still amazing to me! I've got four kids all aged 11 and UP and still can't manage to get my book written.

You can do it, babe!

11. Gina says:

And if you wanted to write utter rubbish, you could write a book in three months too!

(Sorry, "Twilight" fans, but they READ like books that have never been written before and had no rewrites. And no edits, either.)

12. Gina says:

I mean, like books from someone who's never written before. Nice typo. That, my mother would say, was God's little way of making me humble. :-)

13. Christina says:

Several years ago a Dominican seminarian came to our parish and gave an appeal. During it he went over the four pillars of their spirituality; prayer, study, community and preaching. Something in my heart just connected with it and I knew I was supposed to be a Dominican (and I figured a nun).

I visited Nashville and Ann Arbor and got asked in both places if I'd considered the Lay Dominicans. I'm now in the first year of formation in the local chapter and it's been a blessing.

I love how the Church has room for everyone's talents and gifts. I have a friend who is gifted with knowing the needs of others and she does wonderful work with the poor. I have another friend who's gifted with teaching children and teaches in a inner city school.

I have neither of these gifts, but I do have the gift of intelligence and the desire to give the Truth to others. I can't have every talent, God wants us to work in community. It's through my friendship with others that God provides me with those skills. So, I may not see the needs of those around me clearly, but my friend does and points it out. At that point I put my skills to the task of meeting that need.

Or, in the case of my teacher friend, I can rest easy that event though I know those kids need a teacher, it doesn't have to be me (which would be a bad thing if it did, I once tried to teach and I think those children are scarred for life).

14. Kim says:

I can't wait to read everyone's thoughts on the Orders also!

15. Liesl says:

Well, Stephenie Meyer also had a dream about the book before she wrote it… and have you read Twilight? Fun story… but the writing is very elementary. So I bet you're book is going to be well written!

Fun fact: I took a class in undergrad called "Viticulture and enology"… we all called it "wine tasting". It was the most difficult class I've ever taken (3 hours of lecture once a week), but it was worth it for the 1 hour of wine tasting one night a week!

16. Mary @ tinyprayers says:

I haven't read the Twilight books, so I can't speak from personal experience. However, I understand them to be romance novel fluff. While it is amazing how fast and furiously they have grown in popularity, I hardly feel that Stephenie Meyer is a person you should aspire to be like.

17. Suburban Correspondent says:

3 months? Really? Sigh…

18. Barbara C. says:

I went to a Carmelite grade school and a Dominican high school (in the 80's and early 90's). However, neither one was really infused with the spirit of either order that I could tell. In fact, neither one really taught orthodox Catholicism…most of what I really learned about Catholic theology I learned at my secular college or on my own.

So, I tend to have mixed feelings…pride and loyalty combined with disgust and disappointment.

19. Jamie says:

To quote a good friend "I never met a bottle of Gallo Merlot I didn't like." It is a great choice!

We don't have scorpions, but have had ants and I know what you mean by dealing with swarms before you kill them all. Maybe you should have Yaya housesit while you go on vacation!

I have been Catholic my whole life and still do not understand the different religious orders. Do you have a good resource to learn about them?

20. Bonnie says:

I have a GREAT story about Mother Assumpta, the foundress of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist order, but I will save it for if/when we ever speak/meet. Typing it out just won't do it justice.

I have 2 very good friends who are religious sisters (Nashville & Sisters of Life), plus a handful of other old friends in other orders. Watching them all discern which order to join was a lot like watching a friend meet and casually date a few guys and then meeting THE ONE. They just knew. Their passions and personalities matched and God put a peace in their heart. Does that make sense?

21. Kathleen@so much to say, so little time says:

You can do it! Go for it! Momentum is the key!

I have none right now, as I was lamenting this a.m….so it goes. :) I've bequeathed it all to you. LOL

22. mrsbroccoliguy says:

She wrote that book in three MONTHS? With three little kids at home? Good grief, there goes my best excuse. Wow. That's beyond amazing. That's just plain freaky.

23. Ray Ingles says:

Speaking of wine, this article is very interesting: http://scienceblogs.com/cortex/2009/10/robert_parker.php

When we take a sip of wine, we don't taste the wine first, and the cheapness or redness second. We taste everything all at once, in a single gulp of thiswineisred, or thiswineisexpensive. As a result, the wine "experts" sincerely believed that the white wine was red, or that Lafite was actually Troplong-Mondot. Such mistakes are inevitable: Our brain has been designed to believe itself, wired so that our prejudices feel like facts, our opinions indistinguishable from the actual sensation. If we think a wine is cheap, it will taste cheap. And if we think we are tasting a grand cru, then we will taste a grand cru. And if we're tasting 15 young and tannic wines, then we shouldn't expert our poor olfactory cortex to be able to reliably assign an exact point score to the spoiled grape juice in our mouth. Our senses are vague in their instructions, and we parse their suggestions based upon whatever other knowledge we can summon to the surface. As Brochet himself notes, our expectations of what the wine will taste like "can be much more powerful in determining how you taste a wine than the actual physical qualities of the wine itself."

24. Mitch says:

Mark Shea has a good story about an amazing Dominican who fell asleep in the Lord Jan. 2009. Fr. Tom Kraft OP is considered a saint by many who knew him. Reading about his last months is moving, it truly was a privilege to know him.

Your mention of love for all things Dominican made me think of him.

25. Catherine Lucia says:

I love the Dominicans! They are the ones who helped me discover my vocation, and their spirituality is still very much a huge part of mine. Right now I am discerning with the Servants of the Lord and the Virgin of Matara, an international missionary order of active sisters and contemplative nuns whose charism is "evangelization of the culture."

You can learn more about them at http://www.ssvmusa.org (this website is for the Province of the Immaculate Conception — which includes the USA, Canada, and Guyana — and it is the best one for English speakers).

26. Sister Lynn says:

Hi Jennifer,

I am a Benedictine Sister. I feel in love with the Rule of St. Benedict when I was working wiht a group of Benedictine oblates after college.

The Rule of Benedict is 1500 years old and is still so timely. St. Benedict understood human nature. I think his rule is the sanest and lovliest approach to community living. Google Chapter 72 of the Rule of St. Benedict. It is so beautiful!
    I love monastic life. Our work is prayer and we don't have ministries outside the monastery. It isn't easy but I am happier here than I even thought I could be! God knew what he was doing when he called me here!

Praise Him! blessings Sister Lynn

27. Wendy says:

My husband and I knew we were called to the Lay Dominicans at the first meeting we attended. They told us, "St. Dominic insisted on poverty in everything. Except for books, of course!"

We had no money and several thousand books!

Seriously, I think it was the feeling, "There are other people like this? People who love the Church and want to learn about it and talk about it all the time, and tell everyone else?"

28. Texas OPs says:

We'd love to nourish your love for all things Dominican! Check out this link to podcasts, video and writings of Dominican friars from the Eastern province of the U.S.: http://priory.dhs.edu/preaching.aspx. We've listened to a few for our refectory reading using itunes. It's great to be a modern OP! God bless,
    Your Sisters

Sometimes I get tired of hearing about your book – truth be told. I guess because I come here to read about other fascinating topics you so often cover. So selfishly – I say that, and possibly with a tinge of jealously. It does not matter how long it is taking you — you are doing it. I would not hold up Meyer's as an example — her stuff is fodder, trash. Will it outlive Chesterton, Aquinas, Tolkien — the great writers…you? ;-)

Blessings to you – and KNOW God is guiding your days.

Eii

30. Emily says:

I agree with all the Meyer comments – it reads poorly. It's a good trashy novel, but not something that will sustain the mind long.

Regarding orders, I grew up in Franciscan parish, went to a Franciscan college, and our new bishop is Franciscan as well (excited about that!). Having no experience with other orders, I can't compare. But I love the openness and hospitality that the Franciscans share. Everyone is welcome at God's table. (Although, I'm sure other orders share the same sentiment). The simplicity and the celebration of nature, reflection and peace provide a spiritual home for me. I'm in the process of becoming an affiliate, too, which has provided such good guidance. I wouldn't trade this order for anything.

31. Karen E. says:

"Stephenie Meyer wrote Twilight in three months with three kids under five? With no nannies or anything?"

Jen, you, too, could drone on about a boy's glittery good looks for an entire novel and be done with it in three months. I'm thinkin' you might have a little more to say. :)

The Devil is in Twilight so I assume the devil is also involved in the rush to print

also cut?, drastic cuts??,
    I'm yired of thin pourly illlustrated books
    why would you want to de-nude your story?

Offer it all up to God. :)

33. shopannies says:

do not want to meet up with an angry scorpion spiders are bad enough

34. misty says:

I love the Dominicans too! I now live in Florida but I travel to Tex every year to visit my cloistered Dominican Sister in Lufkin. What a blessing to pray with them and you think you are in heaven when they chant the psalms. Visit their web site: lufkinnuns.org

35. Jet says:

I belong to a prayer cenacle for the Lay Apostles of Jesus Christ the Returning King. Anne, an American wife and mother (of 6) living in Ireland, receives monthly messages from Jesus and has written a series of short paperback volumes that are also available to download for free.

Everything I have read is in line with the Vatican-they take great pains to remain faithful to the Church-and the readers are strongly encouraged to participate in the Sacraments as often as possible, to spend 1 hour/week at Eucharistic Adoration and to seek and do God's will daily and as joyfully as possible right down to mundane household chores. The writing style is simplistic but the message is consistent and (I think) inspirational.

My group meets monthly for the prayers, rosary, and message. The Litany of Humility is one of the prayers. I have participated for 3 years and I know that my 4th child, now 1, is a result of prayers at work–I prayed for 2 years for my unequally-yolked husband to get a reversal and to be completely open to God's will for us and our family.

I have researched about private revelation and such. I am convinced that until proven otherwise, these messages are from Jesus.

Caritas, pax et salus,
    Jan

36. Scott Johnston says:

I was a Dominican friar of the St. Joseph (Eastern) province for 4 1/2 years. I discerned that I was not called to be a Dominican for life, and departed on good terms shortly before expiration of my temporary vows. I still love Dominicans and Dominican life! Much about being Dominican will remain with me for life.

A good book about the life of St. Dominic is available from Ignatius Press. It is, "Saint Dominic: The Grace of the Word," by Fr. Guy Bedouelle. It gives, through Dominic, a sense of the underlying spirit of the Dominican order.

You might know already that there are, in contemporary times, four types of Dominicans. There are Dominican friars (most of whom are priests but there are brothers as well), Dominican nuns (who live a cloistered, contemplative life of prayer), Dominican sisters (who have active apostolates, usually teaching), and Dominican laity (i.e., third order). The Dominican nuns and the friars were both begun by St. Dominic. In fact, the first community of contemplative nuns was founded by Dominic before the friars became organized formally into their own new religious order.

While Meyer did write her first novel in a short amount of time, I'll echo the sentiments here and say that her first book definitely read poorly – especially the first half of the first book. It comes across as very amateurish and poorly written/edited. I don't see how it was ever accepted in that condition.

Thanks for the reminder about Gallo wines. I've always liked them, but they do seem to be looked down upon (or overlooked) as "cheap wine" because of the price.

Best of luck to you in your endeavors. Please keep us informed :)

Jen G

38. Tami says:

Jen,
    Please do keep us posted with your book. While impressive as it is that the Twilight lady wrote her book in 3 months, I'm sure your book will be great too. . .regardless how long or short it takes you to get it finished! Good luck and happy writing.

39. Karey says:

Mitch,

Thanks for mentioning Fr Tom Kraft O.P. I didn't know of his passing. He witnessed our marriage over 22 years ago when he was a relatively new priest. Now I know he is an intercessor in heaven.

Karey

40. Jess says:

You should move. Seriously. Scorpions inside the house would be a deal breaker for me! VA has no scorpions…

To make you feel better, my mother in law is from Thailand and they have a house in Bangkok that they stay in during the US winter months. A couple years ago a very good friend of hers kept hearing funny noises in their living room but just assumed it was house settling/outside stuff.

They found a NEST with a cobra mama under their sofa. The thought of them just sitting there night after night with their feet dangling right there by that seriously poisonous and aggressive snake just sends me into orbit. I would need a gallon of wine to get me back into that house!

As for Stephanie Meyers, I think she had a really great marketing push and good covers. I know that sounds silly but marketing an unknown author is a make it or break it thing and her success is really unusual, especially considering that her books are just paranormal romance novels for teen girls. I got through the first two books and realized I was not going to "get it". (I also was underwhelmed by Harry Potter so the problem is more that my reading tastes are obviously not mainstream.) If she wrote the first book in 3 months with 3 kids under 5 then there was a whole lot of Sprout and Nick Jr. going on in her house. Seriously.

41. Colin Kerr says:

You have suddenly given me another reason to look forward to Fridays. Thanks, Jennifer!

1. Scorpions: thanks for reminding me (of the one reasons)why I love Canada.

2. Dominican: I have gained a great appreciation for St. Thomas, seeing as I have been teaching a course on him for three years now.

3. Wine: Cheap does not mean bad. The worst bottle I ever had was also the most expensive.

4. Book: keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to it!

42. Summer says:

I love the Dominicans. We even named our 2yo, Dominic, after St. Dominic. I look forward to reading the book.

God Bless!

43. abroadermark says:

Can't wait to read that book of yours!

44. Scott Johnston says:

In the interest of helping you nurture your love of Dominicans, here are some further items of interest:

Main web site of the Dominican Province of St. Joseph (my former province)–all sorts of neat stuff here; scroll down to see some very interesting items

Priory of the Immaculate Conception
    (studentate and graduate school in Washington, DC)

Dominican House of Studies

A Web site about St. Catherine of Sienna, the 14th century lay Dominican woman (and doctor of the Church!)

Amazon page of Dominican authors (there are multiple pages)

The Dominican laity (third order)

Pope Benedict remembers St. Dominic

You may also be interested to know that there is a resurgence of sorts in vocations in the United States to the Dominican friars. This coming summer, the St. Joseph Province has 21 men entering formation as novices making up the new novitiate class.

And last but not least, here is a really neat video made by Polish Dominicans. It doesn't matter if you don't know Polish, its message still comes through. It's a music video about the life of Dominican students training to be priests and how it is both apart from and inserted in and concerned for the life of the world.

45. Maia says:

If it's Dominicans you are after, make sure to check out Holy Rosary Parish in NE Portland when you are in Oregon. Especially the 11am Sunday Mass. You will not be disappointed!

46. Monica says:

We were married by a Dominican priest, a family friend who has since baptised some of our kids and who has been a huge part of our lives. He also did our marriage preparation, and it was the most wonderful way to start our marriage. I will never forget what he said about the "work" of marriage, which is that it is our work to "heal, perfect, and exalt" our spouse. The O.P. behind a Dominican priest's name (your probably know this) stands for Order of Preachers. They are known for their homilies, for their ability to distill Christ's teachings into words and ideas that resonate with people; I know that nothing compares to a homily by our own beloved Fr. Michael. He gets you where you live.

My husband is part of a lay Carmelite order; their "thing" is contemplative prayer; in a house full of kids, contemplation is not easily come by, so his participation in that order gives him time and space to pray, and to hopefully stay grounded in Christ. It has been wonderful for him. He might give you more information if you are interested.

Lovely Quick Takes!

47. Chris Burgwald says:

The OPs are amazing, particularly the Friars of the St. Joseph Province and the Sisters in Nashville and Ann Arbor.

I had the good fortune to earn my doctorate at the Angelicum in Rome (run by the Dominicans) and got to know Fr. Paul Murray well… he's an amazing priest! I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed his book, Jennifer.

Others have referred to the third order OPs; in terms of lay movements that might be in a similar orbit to the OPs, I'd also recommend Communion & Liberation, an ecclesial movement which started in Italy in the 60's. I'm fairly certain there are some groups in Texas… not sure if any of them are near you, but you can check out their US website at clonline.us/home.cfm.

48. Patty says:

Hi! I found your blog after hearing an excerpt read on Catholic radio. I so look forward to reading your book! Don't worry about Stephenie Meyer writing a book in three months. Trust me, the Twilight series is NOT that great. It's a vampire teen soap opera. I read the first one and listened to the second, out of curiosity.

Don't compare yourself to anyone else! Do you think God is constantly doing that, or does He want you to use the unique talents He gave YOU?

Love the Yaya stories! God bless you and your family.

As much as I enjoyed the Twilight series you are writing a book based on real life and facts…soooo I am gonna say I would be surprised if your book didn't take 10 times as long as hers…when you have all the history of your own life and experiences along with the great history of the Catholic church in your story…a lot of care and time will come with writing that story. So keep it up I can't wait to read it as much as I enjoy your blog.
    PS – I too love the Dominicans, we have a wonderful Dominican priest who has been a part of many wonderful moments in my family. I also have started to get to know the Miles Christi priests who have become a part of our community as well. So many great men with wonderful personalities and senses of humor and their devotion to God and the community is greatly inspiring!

I too, am a convert; came home to the church at Easter, 2007. As a life long, committed protestant, my prejudices were as deep as yours, and I am still surprised (and delighted) to find myself in this wonderful church.

I am also a Benedictine Oblate (lay Benedictine), a process I began before I became Catholic – odd story. I didn't know about other lay orders, and didn't look anywhere else. So now I am a lay Benedictine, and am continually challenged by my commitment. The Benedictines have slightly different vows – Obedience, Conversion and Stability. I might have looked at the Dominicans, but don't know of any in the city where I live, and didn't know about them at all when I was moving toward a lay order. So God apparently called me to the Benedictines before I could confuse myself with too many choices!
    -Dawn Hope

51. Shannon says:

I still won't buy Gallo wine. Too many memories of picket lines in the 60s, advocating for farmworker rights. Gallo was an awful employer in those days.

I'm Franciscan and Jesuit in my leanings. They are two very different orders, and I'm always surprised when the Jesuit piece pokes through, but "finding God in all things" is a strong spiritual dynamic that cannot be ignored.

52. TaraS says:

"To discern if you are called to become a Dominican, consider whether the following things describe you: you love to study and are a motivated learner; you long to read more and know more about the life of Christ and the Church, and you cannot contain your desire to share the fruits of your study with others; you prefer good literature that contains universal truths; you appreciate the many avenues through which truth can be taught, whether it be literature, science, theater, or visual art."

Oh. Um, yes!!

53. ADAReed26 says:

Don’t have enough cash to buy some real estate? Worry not, just because it’s real to take the loan to work out all the problems. So take a financial loan to buy everything you want.

54. I really appreciate your professional approach. These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future.