My new column in Envoy

I’m excited to announce that Patrick Madrid has asked me to be a columnist for Envoy magazine! I’ll be covering the Catholic online world. Patrick did not elaborate on why he chose me for the role, though I assume that it was because he was impressed with my video statement about blogging.

envoy ad2 My new column in EnvoyFor those of you who aren’t familiar with Envoy, it’s a prestigious apologetics journal published by the Envoy Institute that offers quality, in-depth information about the Catholic faith in the modern world. It also makes you really buff, as you can if you click on the ad on the left.

They’re looking for people to join the Envoy Institute and help them fight the culture war. It’s a great organization, and I highly recommend supporting it if you’re able.

For those of you who aren’t familiar with author/blogger/Tweeter extraordinaire Patrick Madrid, he’s the author of a zillion excellent books, including the newly released Godless Delusion, which has already caught the attention of various online atheist communities. (I haven’t had a chance to read it yet, but it looks great.)

My first column is out in the current issue, which you can order here. And if you have any suggestions for topics I should cover in my column, let me know!

28 Responses to “My new column in Envoy”
  1. ERIN says:

congratulations on the new position!

on a side note, i saw this comic and thought of your blog. some of his work is a little racy, but this particular strip is clean, i swear. it just involves health food … and scorpions. http://channelate.com/2009/03/06/healthy-foods/

2. Claire says:

Congratulations! You will do a wonderful job. Patrick Madrid is wonderful and an awesome Catholic. To be associated with his magazine is an honor, and I am more than excited for you.

God Bless, Jen.

3. Whitney says:

Congratulations!! That is so cool, and I can't wait to see what you will write about.

4. Lauren @ Magnify the Lord with Me says:

That's awesome!!! I love Patrick Madrid and Envoy sounds incredible!

I love what God is doing in the CAtholic-on-line world!! :)

5. Michelle says:

Congrats! I can't wait to read (even more) of your stuff!

6. Amy says:

Congratulations! I listen to Patrick Madrid on EWTN Radio's Catholic Answers Live program with Patrick Coffin. I'm addicted to that program – I've learned so so much! I listen every day and Mr. Madrid is a frequent guest.

This is exciting news!

7. Paul says:

Congratulations Jennifer. I have just learned of Envoy Magazine after listening to Patrick on Guadalupe and EWTN radio. Being able to read more of your writing is another wonderful reason to subscribe.

I jumped over to the link you provided for Patrick's blog. While reading the angry comments from the atheists attacking his book, it occurred to me that you must also suffer from similar attacks. Thank you for carrying that cross with such grace.

I have not seen envoy, and will check it out. However I find Patrick Madrid's blog posts troubling to a large degree. For example his recent post quoting an asinine analysis of yoga that appears to neither understand what yoga is to the average American practitioner or what it is in the larger original spiritual context.

And quite frankly XTC is a fantastic band, and "Dear God" is a good song, regardless of his fear for our children's faith!

9. Catholic Bibliophagist says:

Cool! We're Envoy subscribers from way back.

10. Gina says:

That's wonderful! Congratulations!

11. geomama says:

I'm thrilled for both you and Envoy. Isn't it funny to see who (whom?- I'm not much of a grammarian) chooses to be His messengers, people who never expected it. You struggle with being an introvert, and yet God has blessed you with an ability to write, wit, and faith. Now you have this huge audience- rather, Christ has a huge audience through you. That is a beautiful thing. Now I can spend my time praying that you don't get a big head :)

12. mrsdarwin says:

How exciting! I can't wait to see the cover photo.

Congratulations, Jennifer! It's well-deserved. I always enjoy your perspective.

Jen G

14. Tom F. says:

Jen, I'm truly, truly happy for you, that is fantastic news. I've been a fan of yours and your blog since shortly after you came to the Catholic faith and it's been exciting to watch your journey, learn from you and see your audience grow. I always enjoy reading your stuff and will look forward to seeing your articles in Envoy. Good luck and God speed!

15. Jess says:

Wow, I read a Patrick Madrid book during my conversion process. Way to go Jen!

16. Kathleen's Catholic says:

Congratulations! As a matter of fact, I just heard about Envoy and posted on Kathleen's Catholic Facebook page about the Envoy Institute's apologetics summer camp for kids 16-19.

Hope you enjoy your new position!

17. Kathleen's Catholic says:

P.S. Loved your video on blogging. ;-) And also your video on living with an atheist.

18. Kelly the Kitchen Kop says:

I LOVE ENVOY and I'm absolutely geeked that you're now writing for them! We've subscribed since way before the 'dark' years (when they stopped publishing for a while) and before I had a blog, I'd read it cover to cover as soon as it got here.
    Congrats!!
    Kel

Jen,
    You're doing Envoy the favor!
    Suggestion: Don't forget to write about the scorpion-in-the-toilet
    :-)

20. Dorian Speed says:

That is great news! Bravo!

Re: your groundbreaking video. I hope you will encourage your readership to vote for you in the Our Sunday Visitor "Best of the Catholic Web" contest, YouTube video division.

21. Nick says:

Hello! I enjoy your blog and your conversion story. I just wanted to correct you on something in your video on what to do when someone you love is an atheist.

Saint Francis never said, "Preach the Gospel always, and if necessary use words."

These words do embody his life, yet, they are not his words. Words put into a person's mouth, regardless of who or what that person is, is an evil, called false witness, and false witness can lead to sensationalism – such as the sensationalism that there will be three days of darkness according to the false witness of words put into Saint Padre Pio's mouth about the so-called "three days of darkness" (more on that here).

Regardless, however, of whether or not sensationalism comes from evil – for God can even bring a greater good out of evil (for example, the good which comes from the false witness against Saint Francis, as I said above) – all moral evil, even those which we might deem necessary or so small as to be insignificant, are to be avoided, because, "the ends do not justify the means" (Catechism 1753, 1759)

I admit, I myself forget this and "quote" Saint Francis, so do not think I do not symphasize with you. And it is precisely out of mercy that I wish to correct you – yet, if my correction is ill, my intention does not justify the illness and I would need to be corrected myself.

Patrick Madrid blogged about your video and he said, in response to the correction that Saint Francis didn't say those things, that the good saint "doesn't mind." I found Patrick's reply scandalous, yet the scandal does not affect my faith, for we have Jesus Christ, and, I decided to correct him on the justification of evil, and I further decided to do the same for you, lest you innocently commit false witness against St. Francis.

I apologize for such a long reply. I also apologize for including a link to Patrick's blog, for, I fear it is the sin of retraction, yet, I am not sure, and I do suffer from scruples. Pray for me, a poor sinner. God bless!

I loved the surprise when I opened this issue of Envoy and saw your article- Congrats!

23. Martina says:

HOW EXCITING!! so proud of ya. :)

24. Rocket Scientist says:

Congratulations! Since you will be reviewing blogs, I'd like to recommend that you look at my favorite blog The B-Movie Catechism. Ah, you say, can there be a Catholic perspective about movies with guys in rubber suits? His blog is AMAZING. Each post concerns a B-movie and relates it to the Catechism of the Catholic church, and quite frequently, to the Gospel readings of the week.

25. GrandmaK says:

My heartiest congratulation!!!! Well done! Cathy

26. Grace in my Heart says:

Congrats! I look forward to checking it out!

27. Kate Wicker @ Momopoly says:

Congratulations, Jen!!!

28. catholicbookreport says:

Congrats on the column. I'm eager to read it. Envoy is a great publication and I'm glad to see they are attracting high-quality authors.

-Aaron