The Saint’s Name Generator

stainedglass light The Saints Name GeneratorCheck it out! I used some of my holiday free time to create a little program that will choose a saint’s name at random. (Yes, writing code is how I relax. Yes, I am a hopeless nerd.)

Why would you want to choose a saint’s name at random?

I got the idea from the “saint for the year” devotion, where people have a patron saint for the new year chosen for them at random (usually by a priest or religious, who prays over each choice). I’ve had saints chosen for me this way before, and it’s always been a great experience. E.g. In 2007 St. Maximilian Kolbe was picked as my patron for the year. I wasn’t familiar with him before that, but his life ended up inspiring me tremendously all throughout the year, and I still ask him for prayers for all sorts of matters. He’s become one of my favorite saints.

I thought this might be a fun little tool for anyone else looking to select a saint at random to be a patron for a particular cause or time period. If nothing else, you might get to “meet” some new holy men and women. I had so much fun working on this, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

You can check it out here. I’d love to hear which saint you got — leave a comment and let me know!

[UPDATE: I just had the program choose my patron for 2011, and I got Francis de Sales. He has been a huge influence in my life, so I'm excited!]

RELATED

229 Responses to “The Saint’s Name Generator”
  1. Leah says:

St. Jude Thaddaeus was chosen for me.

• Diane says:

Well, I got St. Jude too. I’d prayed to him in the past, and always loved him. I really need the prayers of this saint, the patron of lost causes. This was amazing! Thank you.

• nikki says:

my saint was St. Adelaide of Burgundy. I wont expand but I want to mention that she could not have been a better match as her patronage is that of In-law problems!!

• Rex says:

Back before the New Year started I got St. Jude Thaddaeus also. I just came back to say two “hopeless” causes have been answered! A friend who I have prayed for since 1978 for a return to the Church did return. And a doctor has finally diagnosed a mystery illness that has troubled my wife almost monthly for over 10 years (abdominal migraines). We have been through 4 specialist at 4 hospitals. Of course lots of Rosarys have also been prayed for those two so I have to thank Mother Mary too and also Jesus for hearing their prayers.

2. Jason says:

Wow, I got St. John the Apostle, on his feast day! Pretty cool. I’m going through a transition right now, so I’ll be praying to him a lot the next few weeks. That way, if things don’t work out well, I can just blame Jennifer for giving me the wrong saint! :-)

3. Leila says:

I got St. Teresa of Avila!!! I LOVE HER!!! YAY!!!!!
    Leila recently posted..Dissenting Catholics dont know squat about conscience

4. Alhana says:

St. Dominic was chosen for me. A Spanish saint for a Spanish little lost lamb, isn’t it sweet? Also I love the work the monks do at St. Dominic’s abbey in Silos. I never thought I could get such a cool patron saint of the year. Thanks Jen!

5. Alhana says:

I got it wrong earlier. After a little searching on his feast day I noticed St. Dominic Guzman OP and not St. Dominic of Silos was the one chosen for me. But… I love him anyway! yay

6. Leslie says:

St. Pius V. What a great idea! Thank you for doing this and sharing it. :)

7. Jackie says:

St. Anthony the Abbot! That’s awesome! This is a great gadget . I’d like to share it on my blog if that’s ok .

8. Eunice says:

I got Our Lady of Guadalupe! How interesting! :) Thanks Jen! And a blessed Christmas to you and your family! :D

9. Andie says:

Thanks Jennifer, this is the coolest thing ever, I am soooo impressed! I got St. Bernadette and now I will ask for her intercessions in my prayers. Thank you for doing this, everyone is going to love it.
    Andie
    Andie recently posted..Where Will You Find Him

10. Kimberlie says:

I got St. Raymond of Penyafort, whom I had never heard of before. He sounds pretty wonderful. I am looking forward to getting to know him over the next year. Thanks Jen for this wonderful little tool!
    Kimberlie recently posted..7 Quick Takes – China Edition

11. Awesome! I got St Henry II, whom I had never heard of, but apparently he was married to St. Cunegunda and was a just ruler (reminds me of the pius rex idea I ran across yesterday about St. Wenceslaus). Very neat. I will try to learn more about him and ask for his help. :D

Jen, don’t worry about being nerdy — doing what you love is cool to all the people whose good opinion is worth having. :D

12. Marigold says:

I got St. Frances of Rome :) But the ‘read more’ link took me to a page about St. Juan Diego… crossed wires somewhere?

Happy Christmas!

13. Catherine says:

I got St Agnes of Rome. Loved her from when I was a little girl. I took Agatha as my confirmation saint but Agnes was a very close second. Thanks very much.

14. Jena says:

I got St. Andrew the Apostle, who happens to be the patron saint of “women who wish to become mothers.” God thing? Just so happens, my husband and I have been thinking (and praying) about starting our family when he returns from his tour in Afghanistan. I’ll just go ahead and take that as God’s “Right on!” :)

15. Ana says:

I got St Thomas Aquinas.. I have read a little about him, but have given up finding some of his writing too evolved for my simple brain… I’ll take this as God telling me to try again!
    Thankyou so much for taking the time to create this tool.. many will be guided to a holy start to the new year through your thoughtfulness

16. narda theobald says:

I got Blessed Bernard Scammacca. Pretty cool since he was “A gifted preacher, he preferred to spend his time in the confessional and working as a spiritual director. Had the gift of prophecy, and used it to warn people to change their lives…” I’ve been praying for a conversion to Christ for someone and this is the guy I need to help!!! Thanks Jen, this is terrific!

17. Debbie says:

So pleased – I got St. Dominic, founder of the Dominicans. The order was phenomenally successful in conversion work as it applied Dominic’s concept of “harmonizing the intellectual life with popular needs.” This is truly an area on which I need to focus. Thank you for this program – I’ll be passing it on :) Merry Christmas!

18. Kim says:

WOW! That is awesome! I just chose a Saint who would get me through my last semester of Nursing School. I have 6 children and am expecting my 7th in August. The Saint I received is St. Isidore the Farmer. My graduation day is May 14. His feast day is May 15!!!!

Thank you!!!!

19. Teresa says:

I was confirmed 3 years ago last Easter and while I still LOVE my Catholic faith (I feel “at home” with Catholicism) it’s lost a little of it’s luster. I’ve sent my myself on a bit of a prayer journey and prayer to a few saints were on the list. (I’m even planning to make a journal or scrapbook describing the saints and the ways they helped me. I’d use it to teach my children). I just get overwhelmed when it comes to choosing a saint. You’re fantastic gadget is wonderful and I’m so excited to use it! Starting today, and through January, if not longer, I’ll be praying to St. Helena. I could not be more thrilled and I know God chose her just for me. Thank you!!

20. Nadja says:

What a great gadget, Jennifer! Can you design a button so people can link to it from their blogs?

I got St. Roque Gonzales (Uh, who?)…never heard of him, but he was martyred on November 15th, which is my birthday…
    Nadja recently posted..Monday Musings-27 December 2010

21. Christina says:

Joyeux Noël! St. Peter Ou, pray for us! My friends usually come to me for “life” info on the saints, so to receive the name of a saint that I did not already know was a great and special gift. I can’t wait to spend time learning more about St. Peter Ou. Thanks a million!

22. Kathleen says:

I can’t believe that the saint generated for me was St. Thomas Aquinas, since I’m making a career switch and will be starting a new job teaching college humanities in January. How perfect.
    Kathleen recently posted..Angels Heavenly

23. Javier (JCA) says:

I got St Luke, whose day is, by happenstance, the following day (Oct. 18) of my birthday.
    Javier (JCA) recently posted..250 aniversario de la Inmaculada Concepción como Patrona de España

24. Shane says:

I got Josemaria Escriva – Founder of Opus Dei, and who says God doesnt have a sense of humour!
    Shane recently posted..Saint for the Year

25. Mary says:

I got St Albert the Great, a saint I have hardly ever heard of, but when I read about him, I was really inspired. Thanks for this. Happy Chritmastide!

26. Jenny says:

I got St. Christopher which was perfect for me! First of all, I have been dealing with flare ups with my anxiety while driving, so now I know who to pray for when that happens. Also, my husband drives a truck for a living, so now I can pray that St. Christopher helps keep him safe! Thanks for this!

27. Oh WOW, Jennifer! I have chill bumps!

As you know, I’m not Catholic, but I am experiencing a time in my life of discovering the wonder and beauty of church liturgy and the traditional calendar and all this incredible stuff I’ve been deprived of all my evangelical life.

So I followed your suggestion and whispered a prayer as your (totally incredible amazing WOW) Saint Generator searched for me and was blown away by the choice for me:

St. Brigid of Ireland who is the patron saint for Babies; Children Whose Parents are Not Married; Dairy Workers; Fugitives; Mariners; Midwives; Nuns; Poets; Printing Presses; Scholars; Travellers

I’ve built my entire blog around BABIES (the feeding and care of), and I’m feeling particularly drawn towards advocating for children in desperate life situations (many of whom have unmarried parents), midwives – well, the new year just might bring us a new baby and a new approach to birth, and POETS?! Hello. This is incredible.

Thank you for constructing this, Jennifer. I’m delighted and encouraged and thrilled.
    Megan at SortaCrunchy recently posted..Links for 2010-12-23 delicious

28. Trent says:

I got St. Robert Bellarmine – patron saint of canon lawyers….quite fitting since I’m a lawyer! Thanks Jennifer!

29. Heather says:

I got St. Joseph, which is SO amazing and MUST be from God. Did you pray over this code so that God would use it to give each of us what we need?!!

I said a prayer before hitting the button that I would receive a saint who would pray for me and my marriage, pray that my marriage would become more of a team over the next year. My husband works a LOT and is often out of town.

I received St. Joseph, patron of families, and working men. And not only that, but St. Joseph is my husband’s confirmation saint, chosen two years ago when he went through RCIA. My husband received a book of novenas for Christmas from my parents, and he has already started a novena to St. Joseph. The only religious statue we have in our home is a statue of St. Joseph. I will be moving that statue front and center and joining my husband in his devotion to this wonderful saint!!!

THANK YOU for such a wonderful, wonderful idea!!!!!!!

30. Jen says:

I got St. Michael the Archangel. I prayed for a saint that could help our family this year. Looks like we’ve got a tough guy.

31. Hi, Jen!
    A Big HELLO from………. BRASIL!!

A perfect way to be “familiar with” a specific saint is to know and follow the Liturgic Year of the catholic church. The Roman Calendar has a saint for almost every day of the year. So that is my preferred way to get familiar with them.

There is a book, whose title in English I translated for “The saints of the Roman calendar – To pray with the saints in the liturgy” (Enzo Lodi, 2007), which helps me a lot in it.

Another way to get familiar with the saints is when one of my family gets sick. So I have this specific book: “List of Saints and Blesseds of the Church – (…) Including the patron saints and patrons of professions” (Prof. Felipe Aquino, 2007).

When someone close to me develope a disease, I look the saint for who I must pray. For example: in a case of fever, I pray to St. Benedict, etc. And the most important: in doing that, I always get knowing about the saint’s Life.

All of this, Dear Jen, to tell you that I decline of your offer in your Post! (Sorry.)
    BUT, I wish lots of fun for who take the risk of the joke or game!

A hug for you, your family and all your friends and readers!!
    Stay in the Peace of God!!

~~~
    ~Ana Paula~A Católica recently posted..Notícias da nossa Noite de NATAL

• Debbie says:

Ana Paula, With all due respect, I’m not sure how it’s a “risk” to become more familiar with any given saint. The nice thing about having a saint for an entire year is that you are given the opportunity of really focusing on one saint in particular which gives a more in-depth understanding of the person. I continually look for quotes from that saint, I study about them and read their writings. I still read about the daily saints but, personally, I don’t feel like I get to “know” them as well as when I “live” with one through the year. Peace and Christmas blessings to you and yours!

• Debbie,

A Big HELLO from………. BRASIL!!

“With all due respect”, you obviously misunderstood what I wrote.
        My whole comment – from its beggining till its end – was about the IMPORTANCE of knowing and getting familiar with a saint. So that is not a “risk” for me as you wrote. OK?

The risk I meant in the final of my comment was about the joke or the game that Jen has offered to their readers. It is a risk – of course, a Good Risk – and that is why I wished lots of fun for everybody who participate of the joke or game. Luck to you too. And to yours.

HEY: I invite you to read my comment one more time and you will see your misunderstanding.

Stay in the Peace of God!!

~~~
        ~Ana Paula~A Católica recently posted..Notícias da nossa Noite de NATAL

• Christina says:

Anna Paula,

I read your message in the same way Debbie did, as a “I won’t participate in this because it’s dangerous – here are some ‘safe’ ways to learn about the saints.” Perhaps it’s a mistranslation of the word risk. For us, to call something a risk means that there is a potential danger involved in the act.

The confusion is in how this could be dangerous. The most danger I see here is the saint might be someone that doesn’t connect with you.

32. tanya says:

St. Albert the Great. I’m intrigued!

33. Beth says:

St. Brigid of Ireland was chosen for me – thank you for doing this for us. Happy New Year!

34. Thag Jones says:

St Clare of Assisi. So will that make her my confirmation saint? (I’m in RCIA and still an unbaptised heathen until April).

Anyway, neat idea!

35. Ashley says:

I was given St. Adelaide of Burgundy whom I know nothing about…yet. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and creativity! I would also like to share this on my blog.

Merry Christmas!
    Ashley recently posted..Post Office Perspective

36. Kristine says:

I got St. Eugene de Mazenod, patron of dysfunctional familes! This is fitting because I speak all over on the Theology of the Body and I will definitely pray to him over this coming year. He is also fitting for me personally because he reminds me that I must always be a source of charity and not heartache for my husband and children. A favorite quote I came across from him will stay with me all year, “Among yourselves charity, charity, charity, and in the world – a zeal for souls.”

37. maresi says:

I am not Catholic… but I recognize and honor the beauty and wisdom of the saints. I got St. Catherine of Sweden, patron against abortions and miscarriages. I hope to conceive in 2011, and so this is perfect! Also, my sister (named Katherine) is hoping to conceive soon also. God can even work through code-writing, isn’t He awesome?!? Thanks for the smile on my face.
    maresi recently posted..oh- henry

38. Bridget says:

I got St. Eugene de Mazenod, patron of dysfunctional families. Now, I have a sense of humor, but I sure hope this isn’t a foreshadowing of what this year will bring…

39. Elizabeth says:

St. Thomas Aquinas — Perfect for this time in which I’m learning more about apologetics!
    Elizabeth recently posted..Psst- Mary is preggers

40. Jamie says:

St. Helena, patron of empresses. :-)
    Jamie recently posted..Briefly-

41. KyCat says:

I got St Brigid of Ireland. I know very little about her but will do some research in the coming year. The first thing listed under her was babies which is interesting since I spent all Christmas day reminding myself that I could not steal either of my brand new nieces so apparently she has already been helping the babies! Thanks for the neat idea. Geeks rule!

42. KJ says:

Bl. Angela of Foligno – wow, never heard of her before. A Franciscan mystic famous for her visions and the “mistress of theologians.” Ok, she has her work cut out her, I think! :-)

Thanks, Jennifer. The only other time I took on a patron like this, was two new-year’s eves ago when I did an overnight retreat, and the saint name on my dorm door was Our Lady of Czestochowa, who I was delighted to get to know and pray to all that year. What a beautiful icon. Thanks again!

43. Christina says:

You wrote the code for a random saint generator with your vacation time? You are the most awesomenest nerd I know ;-)

I was given St John the Baptist — it’ll be fun to get to know him more throughout this year :)

44. Erin P says:

St. Therese Liseux! Very cool… her Little Way could prove a lesson for me this year!

45. Thank you so much for doing this. I got St. Louis-Marie Grignion de Montfort, which without going into detail is perfect. God’s Providence is working. :) Thank you.

46. Kara says:

This is neat! I was hoping it was a baby name generator for saint names. I guess it could work like that too, though. Hehe! Thanks for sharing!

47. Peony Moss says:

Our Lady of Guadalupe! Boo-yeah!

48. Kari says:

I got Bl. Miguel Agustin Pro. I have never heard of him before, but I am excited to learn more about him. I currently belong to Christ the King parish, and those were his last words…pretty cool! Thanks for doing this, I am definitely going to share it!

• Joan says:

I chose a “posse” to help St. Peregrine as I go through treatment for cancer this year, and YES, I WAS chosen by St. Peregrine, but in my posse, Blessed Miguel Agustin Pro came up three times. I really have to get to know him well. God bless you

49. cecilia says:

Hey Conversion Diary! I tried your saint finder said a prayer and i ended up with St. Damien of Molokai who is one of my favorite saints! thank you so much for this!

50. Craig says:

I am not a Catholic. But I have great respect for the Catholic Church. As for Saints, I’ve read what you’ve written about venerating them. I get it. We are surrounded by a cloud of witnesses.

I saw your tweet over Christmas and never in a million years would I have guessed you were programming a Saint Generator. That was an outstanding use of nerd-dom.

I was selected St. Clare of Assisi. I was hoping for St. Jeanne of Arc, or St. Catherine, or St. Margaret, two of her heavenly “voix” (voices).

A short story: when was a teen, and unsure spiritually. Sensing something more, something deeper. I attended mass of my own volition occasionally because the parents didn’t care. The church was – yes this is true – St. Clare of Assisi. I will do my homework now, find out all I can about her, and happily figure out a way to work my generated Saint into my Protestant way. Thank you and God Bless.
    Craig recently posted..In which we encounter “the word of truth”

51. Marie says:

St. Rita – AWESOME! One of her patronages is “against infertility”. Since that is something I have been most definitely struggling with for the past 2 1/2 years, this hit close to home. I love the Saints – thank you so much for doing this!!!!!!
    Marie recently posted..This is so COOL!

52. majellamom says:

Okay, the Holy Spirit sometimes cracks me up.

I got St. Hyacinth, and his memorial is on my birthday. Very interesting! Not a whole lot of info on him, so I may have to do some more research.

Very cool site!
    majellamom recently posted..Quick Takes Friday

53. Chris says:

St. Elizabeth of Hungary…hmmmm, just read about her in Wikipedia looking for the significance. I’ll have to give this more thought.
    Thanks for making this!

54. Kathryn says:

Thanks! That’s so cool!
    I got St. Lutgardis and my younger sister got St. Charles Borromeo.

55. Dave says:

Booyah – St Michael the Archangel!

St Michael, protect us!

56. Christy says:

Saint Louis-Marie Grignion de Montfort, about whom I knew absolutely nothing before reading his bio today. I’m looking forward to learning about and with him this year. His cause for declaration as a Doctor of the Church is being pursued, and I am very partial to all the others!

Thank you for this gift to the community, and Merry Christmas.

57. Kim says:

Thank you for doing this, I got St. Hyacinth (of Poland), he’s the patron saint of those in danger of drowning. I guess that’s good, I have a newborn baby girl, and I’m a little concerned about bathing her, I seem to need 4 to 6 hands to do that.
    Kim
    Kim recently posted..Most Surprising Thing

58. I have to agree with Christina who said, “You wrote the code for a random saint generator with your vacation time? You are the most awesomenest nerd I know!”

I got St. Frances of Rome who is one of my confirmation saints. I was just thinking a few months ago that I have never really taken the time to learn much about her and even went so far as to search for an image of her that I liked to inspire me to think of her and call on her help more often.

As a slightly nerdy girl (most of it rubbed off from my Husband) I have two questions… what did you use as your criteria for saints (pre-congregation, historical, etc…) and how many saints are in the database for the program to choose from?
    Charlotte (Matilda) recently posted..On the Feast of Stephen

59. CDH says:

St. Monica, whose feast day happens to be my birthday as well…

60. Willa says:

I got St Francis of Paola. His feast day is my little brother’s birthday as well as the day that Pope John Paul II died (April 2), s date that already has meaning for me. He is also the patron of travelers and there will be lots of traveling in my family this coming year. Thanks SO much for the wonderful toy ;-)!
    Willa recently posted..Saint for 2011

61. Sister Lynn says:

I got St Dominic! I love science and the stars and he is patron of scientist and Astronomers… also patron of those falsely accused. Definfitely the saint I need right now!!! Praise God! I too will be sharing this link!

62. Holli T. says:

I got St. Martin of Tours. I am not Catholic, but I look forward to finding out more about this Saint and the practice of having a patron Saint for the year.

63. I got St. Nicholas, patron saint of boys, of which I have two (teens). An “inspired” pick!
    Janet in Toronto recently posted..The Saint’s Name Generator

64. MelanieB says:

Jen, This is way cool! I got a creepy chill when it picked my saint. We’ve just about decided to name the new baby Anthony. It’s the clear front runner and Dom really likes it. So who should it pick for my patron saint for the year but St Anthony of Padua. I think that’s a pretty clear sign that I should stop being wishy-washy and we should just go for it.
    MelanieB recently posted..Christmas Blizzard

65. Inspired18 says:

Jennifer,

I got St. John Houghton. Never heard of him but will learn!

Fun program, Jen!

Thanks! :)

66. Valerie says:

Jennifer – I was pondering yesterday how to make this choice… I’m so glad you were led to do this. Let us see where St Bernard of Clairvaux will lead me in my pursuit of holiness. Thankyou for doing this. Every blessing to you, and a bright New Year.

67. tiphaine says:

I received St François de Sales! I don’t know him, I prayed for a saint to help me discern whether to look for a job or stay at home with my baby…
    we’ll see.. ;)

68. Amanda says:

Your Saint’s Name Generator is great!

I read this blog post, and really liked the idea of choosing a “saint of 2011″ for myself. I hit the button, and said a little prayer that the saint chosen for me would be guided by the Holy Spirit. At this time, St. Anne came to mind (she is my confirmation saint, and even though she is the patron saint of mothers, etc. I don’t venerate or ask for her intercession as often as I should).

Of course, St. Anne was the saint chosen for me.
    Amanda recently posted..Advent Activities- December 1

69. wendy says:

Okay that was cool and wierd at the same time. I got Blessed John Duns Scotus – here is the freaky thing. His feast day is my birthday. Looking forward to getting to know him!

70. Ute says:

Interesting… I clicked the button because we are looking for baby names. And I got St. Aloysius Gonzaga whose patronage is against sore eyes. Not something I would name my child, but appropriate for me and my family, because we all have pink eye right now!! Prayers are already said. I think I will bookmark the page!

• Susan says:

FYI, the name Aloysius is related to the name Louis. I think it is the Latin form of Louis.

• Jim from St. Louis says:

It’s possible that Aloysius is related to Louis, but probably not through the Latin for Louis, which is “Ludovicus.”

71. Val says:

I got St. Bernadette, which is an amazing coincidence since I received a statuette of the Lady of Lourdes as a Christmas gift! Thanks so much.

72. Elizabeth Ann Seton! Which is amazingly perfect. I just came across a book about her my mom had given me as a little girl and with what I have on my plate this coming week I can really use her help. Thanks!
    Elizaebeth@GoodnessAdded recently posted..Teaching Empathy

73. shelly says:

I got St. Bernadette! Just delivered our 8th child on Nov 15. Her name is Sandra Bernadette.

74. nicole says:

Cool!

St. Jane de Chantal was chosen for me. Her patronage includes in-law relationships. While I have a good relationship with my husband’s family and he with mine we can always use some help. :)
    nicole recently posted..Merry Christmas again!

75. Michelle Murray says:

I got St. John Bosco. I have recently prayed that Jesus would speak to me in my dreams because I think that is the only place He could speak to me without my own interference. I am fascinated by the fact that St. Joseph was told IN DREAMS when to take baby Jesus to Egypt and then back to Nazareth. Fascinating!

76. AgnesRegina says:

I got St. Thomas á Becket. I always did think he was pretty awesome. Just for fun I did it two more times and got St. John of Capistrano and St. Clare of Assisi.Sweet! :)

77. Jessica says:

I got St. Hilary of Poitiers. I haven’t heard of him before but he’s the patron saint against snake bites. Which is ironic because snakes are one of the few things I am deathly afraid of. ;)

78. Laura says:

I just got St. Catherine del Ricci. At first I panicked because she is the patroness of sick people. But then I realized that she fits in perfect with our side business of selling Reliv products since we are meeting a lot of sick people and trying to help them improve their health. She could be a great help to us. Thank you so much for this.
    Laura recently posted..Merry Christmas!

79. Darn-I can’t get one:/ It just keeps trying to choose.
    Marcee Rodgers recently posted..Wordless Wednesday

80. I got St. Martin of Tours–interestingly, not long ago someone gave me a biography of him that I haven’t read yet!
    Deacon David Backes recently posted..Thomas Merton- Faith and Reason

81. Mary says:

I got St. Francis of Assissi. This is unbelieveable. I just finished reading his biography. My daughter is a Franciscan sister and is having serious medical problems. I will be asking for his intercession. If it wasn’t for this program I would not have done that. Thank you Jen and God bless you in your pregnancy.

82. St. Raymond of Penyafort, master general of the Dominican order in 1238. As I’m a Lay Dominican, and he’s one of the Dominican saints I’m not as familiar with, I’m thrilled. But then, your list seems to include a number of obscure Dominican saints. (St. Hyacinth? Really?)
    Will Duquette recently posted..On Being the Right Shape

83. Saint Paula of Rome, patroness of widows.

84. Jess says:

Great idea- Patron for the year! I got St. Catherine del Ricci who is new to me so this should be fun. She is the patron saint of sick people and illnesses though- should I worry? :)

85. Maria says:

My patron saint is St. John Vianney! How cool is that. He is one of my favorite saints and he is also patron saint of priests and confessors. How interesting it is that we have been praying for this particular seminarian for 5 years and he is going to be ordained this year! WOW! Just amazing. Thanks for doing this on your vacation!

86. matt l says:

did you write it in perl?

87. Martha says:

It’s a wonderful idea! I got St. Jerome Emiliani. I’d never heard of him and I’m excited about getting to know this Italian saint.

88. MamaTod says:

Like Meganfromsortacrunchy, I am not Catholic, but am coming to appreciate the beauty of Catholicism through your blog and that of The Anchoress. You have both challenged me in my own Christian walk. Although the whole “saints” thing still feels sort of weird to me, I clicked through and got St. Rose Philippine Duchesne (I hope I spelled that right) who was born in Grenoble, France. One of my daughters is spending her first Christmas away from home in Grenoble!! St. Rose was known as “The Lady of Mercy” (NOT one of my spiritual gifts) and “She who always prays”. Certainly an area I’ve felt called to increase over the last year and which needs more focused attention. Interestingly, she was a teacher and I’ve spent over 18 years homeschooling our large family!

89. Stephanie says:

I love this! We are expecting our fifth child in a few weeks. The name we have picked if it is a girl is Veronica Rose after St. Veronica and St. Rose of Lima. The saint chosen for me? St. Rose of Lima! I have thought all during my pregnancy that I was having a boy…can’t wait to find out. The boy name we have chosen is Francis William. Thanks for creating this.

I love St. Francis de Sales. I have been using one of his quotes as a meditation during this pregnancy. (Bed rest, lots of issues, etc.)
    “Do not look forward to what may happen tomorrow. The same Eternal Father who takes care of you today will take care of you tomorrow, and every day of your life. Either He will shield you from suffering or He will give you unfailing strength to bear it.”
    St. Francis de Sales

90. Sally Thomas says:

Saint Joseph for me! Thank you so much for posting this. I thought I’d missed the patron-saint boat already.
    Sally Thomas recently posted..On the Fourth Day of Christmas

91. I received St. Jerome, perfect b/c I am not only a mom, but in grad school as well. I have GOT to get my dissertation done by May and St. Jerome is gonna get a lot of prayers in the process! Thanks for doing this!
    wheelbarrowrider recently posted..Reveal and Merry Christmas in pictures and song

92. Jen G says:

Your saint generator chose St. John Ogilvie for me, a convert (as am I) and a martyr. His great courage should serve as a model for me, and remind me to “be not afraid”.

93. Jen G says:

Your saint generator chose St. John Ogilvie for me – a convert (as am I!) and a martyr. His great courage will remind me to “be not afraid”.

94. Aimee says:

What a great thing you’ve created! I felt like I needed extra help this year, so I picked two. The first is St. Joseph, received after prayer for help with the terrible anxiety, fear of death and doubt that has suddenly assailed me this Advent/Christmas season. The first thing listed for St. Joseph has to do with battling doubt; he’s also known for helping out with death. :) I also wanted to learn about a new saint, and so my second saint is St. Anne Line–which is really, really weird. Here’s why: I recently discovered Father Gerard, who was a Jesuit in England right after Henry VIII’s reformation, and have been somewhat obsessed with him. Anne Line was a convert who assisted him and other priests from England. Courage and compassion are my words this year (I can never pick just one!) and my saints are perfect for the journey–thank you, thank you, thank you and God bless!

95. Jess G. says:

I got St. Katherine Drexel, which I am thrilled about! For so many reasons she just feels right for this time in my life and things I need to focus on.

96. Paula says:

I love this! I think you’re awesome to have the talent and know-how to create this and I’m not even Catholic! : )
    So I got St. Anthony; this is so perfect on so many levels. My grandfather was named Anthony, my family also hails from Portugal, he is the Patron saint of American Indians (have a daughter named for a native american tribe)and of Mariners (used to work on cruise ships)and I love the story of his incorrupted tongue upon exhumation from preaching the Gospel. I struggle with my tongue so much and that’s the one area of my life I really want to see change in this year. I will pray that St. Anthony helps my tongue to continuously speak life and not death this year. Amen. Thank you Jen!

97. Lisa says:

St. Louis-Marie Grignion de Montfort! How appropriate for a slacker like me who twice has started (and failed to complete) the Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary. Maybe this is my year! :)

98. Jeannine says:

I’ve been a little daunted by the concept of selecting a word or theme for 2011, so maybe a saint is the way to go! I got St. Jerome, and, after getting over a bit of jealousy of your scoring St. Francis de Sales for yourself, I’m ready to embrace him! Let’s see what he’s got for me…
    Jeannine recently posted..I Dont Need a Thing

99. LindaM says:

I got Saint Henry II, patron saint of childless people. I find this amazing as I was childless for many years and, in fact, my two dear children are adopted. I hope to discover more about my saint over the course of the year. Thank you, Jennifer!

100. sarah says:

Hi, Jennifer,

I think this is the first time I’ve commented, and I’m uber-nerdy enough to be excited to do so! I don’t remember how I came across your blog but I seriously appreciate what you write and have thought about many of your posts.

I see that I’m the first one who had this Saint “selected” for me, so I’m thrilled: St Dymphna, someone with whom I’m not at all familiar!

The best part is, she is patroness of (among other things): Mental Illness (myself and many family members) as well as Mental Asylums/Mental Health Caregivers/Mentally Ill People, Family Happiness (sure need it!), Princesses (a stretch, but my name means ‘princess’!). . . . I’m so excited!

Thank you for this, and all of the other wonderful ways you enrich the lives of others! :)

- sarah in Canada

101. Susan says:

St. Lucy, Virgin and Martyr! And patron saint of blind people, and I have some vision issues. I will be requesting her intercession this year. Thanks for this little program.

102. Jen Raiche says:

Thanks so much for this! I got St. Gianna Beretta Molla. I have four with one on the way in June. ;-) The biggest challenge to me is THRIVING (not surviving) in family life. What a perfect match! Thanks for writing this! What a great idea. If you do create a button, I’d love to share this on my (lowly) blog. =)
    Jen Raiche recently posted..Overboard

103. Lydia says:

This was fun. St. John the Baptist has been stalking me lately, so I had already given 2011 to him and the Holy Family (with a chaser of St. Jude), so I was curious to see who would turn up. You can never have too many saints. I got Katherine Drexel, whose feast day is my daughter’s birthday. She’ll be getting a lot of prayers this year!
    Lydia recently posted..On the Fourth Day of Christmas

104. Kathy says:

While the program was choosing my Saint, I was saying a prayer to give me a Saint to pray to on whether or not I should remarry. I’ve been married twice in the church (both annulled) and after swearing off men for two years, I met a wonderful man in a single’s group at my church.

I opened my eyes to see that St. Valentine of Rome had been chosen as my Saint. I’m still praying to him, but that’s almost my answer I think.

105. Anne says:

St. Matthias…prayed for a patron to accompany me through my son’s wedding festivities next month. Have lots of anxiety about how I will do everything I need to do. Amazing because he was chosen to be the new 12th apostle after the Resurection…and he is all about the welcome we must give to a new member of a group. I realize my mission is to welcome my new daughter in law, her parents and family into our, until now, small family circle. Needed to hear this right now!

106. Karen says:

Jen – I saw your post in Twitter. While I have a patron saint for 2011 already, I asked for a patron saint as an intercessor for improved health this year and “St Mary Magdalene” chose me!

Thank again Jen! Karen

107. JayDee says:

Got St. Valentine. And I’m single. HMMMMMMmmmmmm! Maybe 2011 will be very very interesting!

108. Diane says:

I disagree with the nerd part. I guess in some ways I’m a bit of a nerd too. Certainly was considered one in high school (although the term hadn’t been invented yet). As I said before, I got St. Jude, whom I used to pray faithfully too, stopped, but certainly will start.

109. St. Augustine of Hippo. Not only am I looking forward to getting to know my husband’s patron saint, but he is the patron saint of brewers. I asked for the saint that would help me with my family — DH is thinking about opening a mini-brewery in Florida. Maybe this means my house will sell soon!

110. Judith says:

I got St Peter the Apostle …… I’m looking forward to spending the year with him!
    Thanks!

111. Ed says:

Good one.
    Got the apostle, James the Greater, who Jesus called (along with John) “Sons of Thunder”, and one of the apostoles who experienced, in the company of Our Lord, The Transfiguration.
    I developed inflammatory arthritis last year. James is the partron saint of people with arthritis.
    St James, please pray for all of us (not just people with arthritis).
    Thank you.

112. Kelly says:

I got Lady of Guadalupe! Interesting, since I plan to attend the March for Life and possibly give my testimony for a second time on the steps of the Supreme Court…:)
    Kelly recently posted..Our Modern Life

113. Carol says:

I got St. Rose of Lima. I’m going to start out by reading her biography

114. Sandie says:

St. George for me–guess it’s time to slay some dragons! Thanks for sharing your creation.

115. Katy says:

I got St. Louis IX. I was a little disappointed at first because I do not know anything about him and I feel that I cannot relate to him right now in my life. My first reaction was to try it again, but I am going to wait it out and see if God has something in store for me. In the meantime, St. Louis, pray for me!

116. Theresa says:

Wow, this really took my breath away after I read my Saint’s story. I had St. Anthony the Abbot chosen for me. I am a busy mom yet I always feel like I am not doing enough in my spare time to live my Faith. This saint didn’t talk the talk rather he walked the walk. This is exactly the reminder I needed. Thanks for doing us all such a great service!

117. Sue from Buffalo says:

I got St Leo the Great. It made me cry instantly because his feast day is my parents’ anniversary. I lost my Dad last year and my Mom this past November. They both died right within 2 weeks of their anniversary. They were married 64 years. I guess with everything I’m going through, I’m going to lean pretty heavy on this one.

• kim bush says:

Hi Sue. I’m so so sorry for your losses. My Dad just recently passed on (as you know). I’m happy for him because I know he’s leaping in God’s gardens…he was an avid gardener down here.
      However, it’s so hard for me too. Our Faith is an awesome gift to hold on to. Guess what?…You were right here when I needed you, Sue. My Dad is the one I stay up with to toast in the New Year. Keep the Faith, Kim

• Chris says:

I got St. Leo the Great as well! I’ll say a prayer for your parents and for you, Sue.

118. Susan says:

I thought I left a comment already, but maybe I messed up the Captcha code. Anyways, I got St. Lucy and immediately rode my bike to the local Catholic book store and got a St. Lucy holy card and a little novena booklet to St. Lucy.

119. Marilyn H says:

St. Louis IX, King of France. I am looking forward to praying with St. Louis this year. Always intrigued by his goodness as a sovereign and his participation in the Crusades. Thanks, Jen!

120. Nathan says:

I received Leopold III. Oddly, last year I received a French Queen, Jeanne de France and this year a German margrave. Jeanne taught me a great deal about accepting difficult life circumstances, so I am very grateful for example of her life.

After getting Leopold and not seeing what his patronage had to do with me (and being something of a cynic) I decided to hit the button three more times to see what happened. Guess who came up…yes, St. Leopold! So, we’ll have to have some conversations together this year.

God bless, everyone.

121. Catgal says:

I got Pope Saint Damasus, who also had to deal with an Anit-Pope. My husband was just explaining this to me the other day. He also had the bible translated from greek to latin. This is all I know so far. I am interested in what I will learn from him this year.

122. Deo volente says:

My patroness is Saint Frances of Rome. What a beautiful blog! Thanks for your marvelous idea! D.v.
    Deo volente recently posted..6th Day in the Octave of Christmas – Missa Puer natus est- December 30th- 2010 – Propers

123. Lindsey says:

I got St. Joseph. It will be interesting to see how his patronage plays out in my life this year. I’m converting from evangelicalism and am going through RCIA right now.

Thanks for this!

124. Ellie says:

I received St Thomas Aquinas! Wonderful — and what fun. I look forward to learning and growing with him this coming year. Thank you for this sweet little program, Jennifer: Blessings to you and yours.
    Ellie recently posted..justice- love &amp peace

125. giarose says:

I LOVE this Jen! I’ve been wanting to pick a different patron saint each year for our homeschool and now is a perfect time.

So we will begin the year with St. Elizabeth Ann Seton. My confirmation name is Elizabeth, which I chose when I was 5 or 6 years old. I met my husband through serving with the St. Vincent de Paul society.

I will be praying fervently for St. Elizabeth Ann Seton’s intercession regarding in-law problems ;)

126. mm says:

thankyou for this, I got St. George.
    I hope St. George will find me a knight and shining armour ( I had recently had my heart broken with a guy who I thought would get married too, after 4 years :(

127. Elaine T says:

Saint Philomena, ‘the Living Rosary”, “powerful with God”.

We’ve got oodles of serious stuff in our family going on right now, and she seems to fit the bill for what we need help with.

Thanks!

128. Elaine T says:

St. Philomena, ‘powerful with God’. I think I know why.

Then I went back and asked for our daughter and my husband. St. Catherine del Ricci chose my daughter (patron of the sick, and daughter has health challenges). My husband was chosen by St. Barnabas – I’m not sure what to make of that. Thanks for doing this!

129. Maria Edi says:

Hello!
    I’m from Brazil and my chosen patron was St. Andrew Kim Taegon
    from Korea. I’m glad to say thar it’s the first time I hear his name, but I’m going to find out what’s about his life and deeds.
    I came to your site from The Anchoress. Wish you a holy 2011!!

Maria

130. Old Buckeye says:

Thank you for this wonderful tool. I’ll be working with St. Albert the Great!

131. I got Blessed Ciara Bodano, the first person to be beatified from the Folkalore movement in Italy. She died at 19 of bone cancer. I thought this was very timely as I was just asked to pray for a friend, Ciara, a woman from Italy who is living in Canada temporarily and will return to Italy to continue her medical studies. She asked for prayers that she will gain admission to the university here to finish her studies. She wishes to live here as her brother was just ordained to the Franciscans of Halifax, a new order which my daughter also joined. So now I am asking Blessed Ciara to intercede for her namesake, Ciara.

132. Heidi says:

Bl. Margaret of Castello was selected for me. I never heard of her, but when I read of whom she was the patron, chills ran down my arms. She is the patron saint for the physically disabled. We are facing a real possiblity that our daughter, who is our fourth child and only 6 mos old, may have a physical disability. Obviously physical disabilities have been on my mind lately. Even if my daughter turns out to be okay, this is a sign (I think) that the disabled need to be more on my radar, so to speak. Thank you!

133. Marilyn H says:

Jen – I have my whole family over on New Year’s day. This year I’m going to have my nieces and nephews each pick a patron saint for 2011. It will be a nice tradition to start and will give us another chance to pray together and reflect on our faith as a family. Thank you and happy new year!

134. Janet says:

When St.Acca popped out I said “Whaaa????” Then I began to read his story and I am speechless.

He died in 742 and was a bishop in England. He was involved in the building and decorating of churches – a sponsor of liturgical art. Also, his patronage is ‘Learning’ and he is depicted as a bishop in a library.

I have started to sell some of my artwork which is based on Christian themes and biblical passages. I have been praying for a sign from God on whether or not I should continue these endeavors. Also, I have been studying Latin for years and recently started substitute teaching for my Latin teacher. One of my resolutions for 2011 was to really buckle down this year and intensify my studies so I can be a better teacher. And I planned on spending regular sessions in the library.

Amazing.

135. Tootie says:

What a great idea! I got St. Lucy, who I’m anxious to learn more about!
    Tootie recently posted..Christmas Adam

136. Wendy J says:

I got St. Louis IX! Not only is his feast day on my first daughter’s birthday and is the patron saint of a much-beloved great-uncle, he’s also the patron saint of large families (just as I’m feeling overwhelmed with four kiddos six and under plus homeschooling). Awesome!

137. Diane says:

I hooked up with St. Ezekiel Moreno, whom I had never heard of, it is said he is an Augustinian Recollect known for his simple and open spirit, devoted to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and he strongly defended the rights of the Church. He died of cancer in 1906 and many miracles are attributed to his intercession on the healing of cancers. There’s not a lot of info beyond that, but I am looking forward to getting to know him in 2011! This is a great idea!

138. Beth says:

Hi Jennifer–I got here via The Anchoress. LOVE the Patron Saint generator. St. Bernard of Clairvaux was chosen for me. He is the patron of beekeepers and candlemakers. I am a mother of 8–our home is like a hive and my husband and I are trying to form our children into candles that will shine the light of Christ to all!! Thanks and Happy New Year. St. Bernard ROCKS!

139. Julie says:

I’ve always wanted a patron saint for a year like The Anchoress at First Things. But I knew I could never pick one on my own. Too hard to choose. Thank you so much for your saint generator.

I’m excited to have St. Valentine as my patron saint for 2011. For the past 5 years I have been praying specifically for help with my marriage of 18 years so it’ll be good to have St. Valentine on my team.

140. Judy says:

How fun! Thank you, Jennifer. . . great way to ring in the New Year.
    I got Saint Bernard of Menthon and I know nothing about him other than the fact that he’s the patron of Alpinists and Mountain Climbers (which your generator informed me)I’m excited to meet this Saint!
    Judy recently posted..Dec 27- Prayers-for-Mothers

141. Shannon says:

This is really cool, thanks! (I love the nice effects of the letters changing color while generating.)

My saint is St. Leonard of Port Maurice. I’ve never heard of him before BUT his feast at is November 26. My mom and her mom share that birthday and my great-grandma died on that day, so I have a special affinity for that day. And next month I’ll be involved in some parish mission work, of which he is a patron saint. Awesome. I’ll look for more information and ask for his intercession.

Thanks and happy new year!

142. Jen says:

I have been wanting to have saint for our blog and I got St. John Neumann. So fitting! I will be back to pick saints for our family, thanks for creating this! Happy New Year!

143. Teri says:

St John of God! An impulsive nut case?! Seeing a little too much of me in him and a little too little as well. I think he is perfect for me!

144. Lynn says:

I’m not a catholic, but have been feeling a strong pull toward some form of orthodoxy for some time now. I’m also an unmarried mother (I chose not to abort based largely on the guidance of JPII) living in a very poor neighborhood with many disabled/elderly folks in need (I’m the go-to person when it comes to pharmacy/food bank runs). Anyway, I tried your gadget and got Margaret of Castello (the blessed) – patron for outsiders, the diasabled, the discouraged, and the unborn.

Wow.

145. FiberMama says:

Right now I am feeling led away from the Protestant church and towards EO or possibly RC. I can’t tell…

I clicked on the link. I said an honest prayer that God show me something – that he give me anything that would let me know that I am moving in a direction that was pleasing to Him. I told Him that I had no idea what on earth a patron saint was even for…

Mine came up Saint Margaret of Hungary. The feast day is my birthday. And her name, Margaret, was my Nana’s name. I loved my Nana more than anyone else, save my parents. She was everything to me, and died when I was 13…

God did that. He just did something in my life, and even though I can not understand just yet exactly what He did, I am so thankful.
    FiberMama recently posted..30 Days of Thankfulness- Day 11-14

146. FoolishMortal says:

St. Anne Line was chosen for me. I read her biography and couldn’t really find anything that related specifically to me on any level. I then went to Wikipedia and there it was on a sidebar: her feast day was August 30, my birthday! Sweet!

147. Michiel says:

I got St. Vincent dePaul, which is interesting, as I was matched with Bl. Mother Teresa of Calcutta last year. I think something about ministering to the poor is being not so subtly sent my way.

My older son did a double try b/c he wanted a male. He received St. Guy of somewhere in Belgium (I’ll have to look that one up again), and younger son received OL Guadalupe, which delighted him to no end, as we often read Tomie dePaola’s book about her.

My question: how many saints did you include in the mix? How did you decide?

Thank you very much for doing this. My bag o’ saints, which has a few hundred on little slips of paper, is buried somewhere in my sewing room, and I couldn’t find it.

148. Katie says:

Such fun! I love your Saints Name Generator! I got Saint Brigid – which is wonderful as I used to live in Ireleand. I know very little about her, so I’m excited to learn more about her this year.

149. Debbie says:

St.Pio of Pietrelcina(padre Pio)…..Patron saint of stress relief,and January Blues…a famous quote of his……Pray,Hope and Don’t worry….In 1947 he heard the confession of a young polish priest..Father Karol Wojtyla…he told him he would someday ascend to the Highest Post in the Church….he became…POPE JOHN PAUL ll….I could go on and on about this Saint and I’ve just began the research !!! Thanks so much!!!!!

150. Tune says:

St. Andrew Kim Taegon, the first Korean priest was chosen for me! I learned that his feast day is a day before my birthday. What brought me chill was the fact I learned yesterday: that he was martyred on the age of 25, the age where I will be next year. St. Andrew Kim Taegon, pray for us!

151. Diane says:

I gasped when I opened my eyes and saw that Bl. Margaret of Castella was chosen for me! I am well aware of her story and it is deeply meaningful to me. I’m glad to have this little “wake-up call” to renew my devotion to this most beautiful little saint.

152. Joan says:

St Teresa Margaret Redi, Carmelite, for me. As I’m contemplating the religious life, and what it means to have a hidden life, she’s perfect. How incredible is that!

153. Michael Allison says:

We have been doing this for over 5 years; the second and third years for me were St. Apollonia (Patron Saint of Dentists because of the torture she received). She is honored with a display at the Univ of Michigan Dental School (Public University). This year I am fully covered, as I have Nov 1st (All Saints). This year my dad’s saint that picked him 1-23 (St. Idlefonsus); this is the first anniv. of my mom’s death. My father-in-law’s saint is Blessed William Joseph Chaminade, founder of the Mariansits,who founded University of Dayton, our son’s college. Many of our saints seem to be very good “fits” for our situation.

154. My blog is also choosing saints again for people. Please visit our 2011 devotion here:

Matthew from A Catholic Life recently posted..2011 Patron Saint of the Year Devotion

155. Ruth Ann says:

It took me three tries before I figured out how to do the Saint Generator. I misunderstood the directions, although they were straight forward. Duh!

I checked each of the comments above, and I didn’t see anyone who had Blessed Chiara Luce Badano, and 18 year old, who was beatified recently. Now I happen to be a sextagenarian who is retired, so it is certainly an interesting match!

Blessed Chiara, I discovered, had some qualities—athleticism, prayerfulness, and religious leanings—that mesh with some of mine when I was her age. She died of bone cancer and faced it courageously. Although I didn’t have to contend with that adversity at a young age, I had a different form of cancer, which I obviously survived, a decade ago.

I look forward to having a good relationship with Blessed Chiara.
    Ruth Ann recently posted..A Sublime Way to End 2010 and to Begin 2011

156. Diana says:

WOW totally loved this one Jen… have never chosen a patron Saint for year before… so after clicking first I got St John of Kanty… and thought who’s that?… saw the link to click for another saint so I did… after clicking the learn more about St John link of course… as I read the info on him the following qoute just popped out at me…”Fight all error, but do it with good humour, patience, kindness, and love. Harshness will damage your own soul and spoil the best cause.”

… and so I closed the other saint I had opened up coz I sure need the patience and good humour bit :) He is totally perfect and my brother just came to live with me and is job hunting so he is so fitting… wish I was a nerd like you who writes programmes to relax…. Happy new year from sunny South Africa!
    Diana recently posted..nativity of our lord 21st century style

157. JoAnna says:

St. Anthony the Abbot
    Feast: January 17

Patronage: Against Skin Diseases; Amputees; Animals; Butchers; Domestic Animals; Epileptics; Graveyards; Hermits; Monks

Um… okay. :) Not sure what God is trying to say to me, but it’ll be interesting to find out!
    JoAnna recently posted..7 Quick Takes Friday – December 31- 2010

158. Kathryn says:

This is awesome, Jen! I’ve used it for three different things and each one was deeply relevant to the specifics of the situation I was praying about. I recieved St. Dorothy of Montau, St. Joseph, and St. Andrew the Apostle.

159. Liz says:

Thank you so much for sharing your inspiration! I have visited the Saints Name Generator several time in the past week looking for wise prayer partners for very specific causes. I don’t believe these saints find me in a random way, because so many of them appear to fit my specific cause perfectly!

160. Liz says:

For healing for my husband’s back pain, St. Patrick. My husband’s name is Patrick!

161. Elizabeth says:

I got St Dorothy of Montau, patron saint of brides and large families. I have been waiting (trying to be patient) for my boyfriend to propose, maybe it’s a sign!

162. Molly says:

I got St. Brigid, patron saints of babies, who’s feast day is February 1st… my due date. =)

163. JoyfulPapist says:

I was chosen by St Josephina Bakhita. Ripped from her family in Southern Sudan while only a child, she had a terrible life as a slave. She was brought to Italy where she served as nanny to a child, but found God, and her freedom, and became a nun.

I believe one of the reasons St Josephina chose me was so that I could ask people to pray for the people of Southern Sudan as they prepare to vote in a referendum on independence next week. Please help. http://joyfulpapist.wordpress.com/2011/01/06/please-pray-for-southern-sudan/

164. Melanie says:

Love this! St. Bernard of Menthon was picked for me and since he is the patron of mountain climbers and that is how life has felt for me lately, I feel its appropriate. My eldest daughter picked with each of her siblings. We are all excited to learn more about each of our saints this year! Thanks, Jen!

165. Kathy says:

I stumbled accross this site while looking for information on saints. I decided on a whim to try the saint finder just for the fun of it. I wasn’t expecting anything special. When it asked for me to think about what I needed I asked for a saint that might help me with my son who struggles with alcohol. It gave me St. Matthias the Apostle. I literally gasped when I read that he is the patron saint against alcoholism and for recovered alcoholics. God Bless You for putting this on your site.

166. I got St Theresa of Avila- my favorite niece (not that I have favorites) is named Avila Mary!

priest’s wife recently posted..a simple womans daybook for January

167. Julie says:

So I got St Vladimir I of Kiev. Who? I’ll be interested to learn more of him. Saliently, his feast day is my sister’s birthday. He ordered the conversion of Kiev, where my friend is preparing to serve as a missionary. He is the patron of Converts; Parents of Large Families; Reformed and Penitent Murderers. I am sponsoring an RCIA candidate and hope to enlarge my family this year. As to the last…don’t think I’d like a connection there!

168. Theresa says:

Whoa!!!

I was showing my husband the “7 Quick Take Fridays” (which I plan to try out this Friday) and he noticed the Saint Generator. We decided to experiment with it together. Well … it came up with Saint Rita. This stunned me.

We were married in Saint Rita’s Church (Webster, NY), so I have claimed her as one of our patron saints for our marriage. Also, we have also been to Cascia and Rocca Porrena in Italy – two places where Rita lived. It was one of our favorite excursions during our three years in Italy.

I got goose bumps when Saint Rita came up for us!

Brilliant idea, Jen!

169. Jeanne says:

I got St. Joseph Calasanz. I hadn’t heard of him before but it is interesting because I am in a fairly new job working for my diocese’s department of Catholic education, and St. Joseph Calasanz is patron of school and students. Neat. I know I’m a little late on this, but I will post it on my blog soon.
    Jeanne recently posted..I’m posting every week from now on in 2011!

170. Jeanne says:

Jen, I just wanted to let you know I posted about this on my blog at http://knowledgehungry.wordpress.com. All 2 of my readers should see it! :) God bless you.
    Jeanne recently posted..I’m posting every week from now on in 2011!

171. jeanie says:

St Benedict was chosen for me. I began my postulancy to the Order of St Benedict in Oct 2010!

172. Ally says:

I’m a Protestant exploring the claims of the Catholic Church, and I got St. Thomas Aquinas- patron of Apologists, Academics, Learning, etc. An eerily good fit for where I’m at. ;)
    Ally recently posted..In the Beginning was a Catholic

173. Mary says:

I got ST. Juan Diego, which came a bit like a smack in the face cause these last couple of days I already received from different people cards with Our Lady of Guadalupe on it. :)

174. Becca says:

I got St. John of Kanty who I had never heard of before. But, he’s perfect for the two things that have been the most trying in my life these past few months. Getting a job (I have no idea what to do) and fault finding and being harsh with others. It’s definitely a grace that I got this saint! This generator is great, the kind of thing I love. Thanks!

175. Marie says:

Several months ago I visited here after feeling the need for a patron saint of a music recording project I’m still in the middle of. I got St. Claude de la Colombiere, whom I’d never heard of before. But this was truly a match made in heaven. He was, and has been, so fitting for this time, and the book of his spiritual direction which I sought out and bought was invaluable to me.

Today I’m back seeking a patron for another situation, and received St. Aloysius Gonzaga. My first reaction, like with St. Claude, was “huh?” but I trust that the Holy Spirit has plans here too.
    Marie recently posted..Having Compassion for Oneself

176. Jason says:

I found out about the saint generator from another blogger. I thought I’d give it a try for, if for no other reason than to learn more about the great saints in history. So I clicked on the start button and out came St. Jerome…

Aside from St. Jerome being a brilliant scholar (which I am, most assuredly, not), he’s also the patron saint of libraries and librarians. This wouldn’t have mattered to me much except for the fact that I work in a library and had just talked with my boss about the possibility of going to library school!

177. Angie says:

St. Peter Orseolo came up for me – very interesting as I continue to have this overwhelming urge to take the Santiago de Compostela pilgrimage, live a life of Benedictine prayer, and generally go deeper with God. This saint left everything behind to become a Benedictine monk in the highlands of the French/Spanish Pyrenees mountains…I will be asking him especially this next year to help me with my spiritual disciplines and for help on my journey home to Rome which is taking me many long years…thank you for this ministry.

178. CiCi says:

I love this. I wanted to choose a saint to guide me in the New Liturgical Year. I used your generator after saying a prayer for the guidance of the Holy Spirit and received:

St. Maria Goretti

It is most fitting because I am still working on restoring my purity after having a problem with pornography for a while. I hope St. Maria can help me overcome this tough issue. Thanks again!

179. Tara says:

Jennifer, thanks for keeping the saint’s name generator up. Last year, it chose St. Bridget of Sweden for me, which tickled me to no end. This year, I selected one for my family, and Brigid of Ireland was chosen for me! I guess the Bridget Brigade has me/us in their sights. And since this particular Brigid is a patron of babies, well, maybe 2012 has a nice surprise in store for us.

180. Elena says:

I got St. Francis of Rome. Patron of:
    Automobile Drivers – I drive a Chevy van all over town and last year I had a little auto
    accident that the other party is milking for all its worth – so there’s that.

Death of Children; I had a stillbirth and then 10 year anniversary is next year.

Lay People; I’m a lay people!!

People Ridiculed for Their Piety; Well I don’t know that I’m that pious but I do take ridicule for defending the church in different forums and for being pro-life.

181. suzanne says:

St. Philomena. I’d never heard of her but she is the patron of infants and converts among other things, so very applicable to me. Thanks for this.

182. Marija says:

I am totally amazed. I prayed before clicking for my saint and I got Our Lady of Guadalupe. Just 3 days ago my priest gave me a beautifully framed, “certified” print of Our Lady of Guadalupe 27 x 17. I had told him this month about something I saw in 2009 before I entered the Catholic Church. Driving in my car I watched a beautiful wispy cirrus cloud grow very large in the sky and turn into what I thought was an angel shape, but I really thought it was Our Blessed Mother, but because she gazed downward and seemed very sober-faced I did not know what I had seen—and I am not into seeking visions or making shapes out of clouds! I never thought anything more of it until in December 2009 our parish celebrated the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe and there was a large beautiful picture hanging in the sanctuary. I nearly fell over. There was that face and shape. Until then I had never seen her picture and never heard the story of Mary’s appearance in Tepeyac, Mexico. Now I know about her from our dear Mexican priest and will treasure her prayers for me in 2012, that what I think, do and say will be pleasing to our Lord. (Entered the Catholic Church on December 23, 2010. So happy!)

183. Brian says:

I received St. Anthony of Sicily a Carmelite. I have a devotion to the Blessed Mother and have been to Mount Carmel. What I found interesting is that he had a devotion to the care of the Jewish people of Sicily. Last year I had St. Benedicta of the Cross, Edith Stein. I have Jewish ancestors. Interesting choices!

184. Joan says:

My Saint was St. Peregrine, the patron Saint of cancer and breast cancer, and on December 22nd I was diagnosed with breast cancer, HR grade 3. I will have surgery on January 4th, and after that heals, begin chemotherapy, then radiation. I am truly amazed and grateful for St. Peregrine and I intend to be praying very hard to him through 2012.

All my love in the Immaculate Heart of Mary,
    Joan

185. Lisa says:

Thank you so much for this! I got St. Clare of Assisi and I am looking forward to getting to know her better!

God bless,
    Lisa
    Lisa recently posted..Some Christmas photos

186. Laura says:

I feel compelled to share this story. Over the summer, I was thinking about names for our next kid (we hope to get pregnant in 2012) and for some reason, I just decided I loved Augustine as a middle name. Ever since then, it seems like he is popping up everywhere. If there is a quote at RCIA (I’m sponsoring my sister) it’s from him. If there is meditation in the Magnificat I like, it’s from him. It’s gotten so bad, I joke with my sister that he is stalking me. Now how crazy is it, that your generator kicked out none other than St. Augustine for me. When it popped up on the screen, I just started laughing and texted my sister. I said, “you’ll never guess who I got,” but of course she already knew.

Thanks for the generator.
    Laura

187. Diane says:

I received St. Andrew Avellino the patron saint against apoplexy, stroke, sudden death and for a holy death. Jen, at the end of the next year let’s check in on what we learned by spending a year getting to know our saints. If I don’t reply it may be that he didn’t intercede for me against a sudden death. What did you learn last year from your walk with your saint?

188. Chris says:

I got St. Bernardine of Siena. Never heard of him, but apparently he is the patron of those in advertising and public relations – and that is me.

Thank you and have a great 2012.

189. Jennifer says:

Hi, I really like your idea. I was wondering though if you have a list of the different saints and holy people that are part of the generator or if people can suggest different Saints. I have some really favorite holy people I pray to:
    Gwen Coniker gwenconiker.com
    Teresita Quevedo Gonzalez,
    Mother Therese of Jesus from Allenton, PA who is incorrupt
    Blessed Imelda
    Venerable Anne de Guigne, incorrupt
    St. Faustina,John Paul II,Mother Teresa,Kateri Tekakwitha
    Our Lady of America ourladyofamerica.org

190. Jennifer says:

P.S. I forgot to mention that of course St. Louis de Montfort and Maximilian Kokbe are also favorites of mine. Is there a way to find out if these are on your generator list?

191. Julianne says:

I got St Anne. This is a bit freaky as this year I am taking a break from my work in order to finish my training as a spiritual director and to give a bit of stability to our family after a year that has been full of unheaval. I have also found time to do more prayer with my children and work with others on praying as a family and on formation of children in the home. So my random saint is one of the family and of home-makers, the woman who gave birth to Mary. A good saint to pray to this year when we are trying out different patterns in our family life.

192. Rita says:

St. Leonard of Port Maurice was chosen for me. An interesting choice, as I’ve been searching for a good patron saint for gastrointestinal issues and he dealt with gastrointestinal issues during his lifetime. Also, he’s a patron of Church Missions and I’m part of Austin Catholic New Media. And lastly, his feast day is one day after my birthday. Love how the Holy Spirit works!

193. tun says:

Hey there again, I’m a second year user. Last year I got St. Andrew Kim-Tae-Gon, who died at the age of 25 and feast day was 20th of September. I turned 25 last year and my birthday was 1 day after his feast day. This year, my first try gave me St. Wenceslaus, and I thought that was a joke since I had nothing in common with him at all. Then I realized that I wasn’t serious in praying for a patron saint. I tried again and I said a prayer, ‘Lord, I seriously need a patron saint this year.’ Voila: St. John the Baptist. Pretty cool, but had no idea why him of all the saints out there. I tried to search through any connection at all and couldn’t find any. Just now I went to my regular bible study and we talked about this upcoming Sunday reading. One question that came was, “why are we catholic in the first place?” Being a convert, I talked about my conversion story. At the closing prayer, somehow God nudged me and asked, “Remember your baptism date?” June 23. St. John the Baptist feast day? June 24. That was a humbling experience and a moment of grace for me.
    tun recently posted..What does Christmas mean to me?

194. LarkBunting says:

St Josephine Bakhita. I think she may be the only St Josephine. My parents named me Valerie Jo, but when I was baptized the priest insisted that I be Valerie Josephine because there is no St Valerie or St Jo. I don’t understand why. Anyway – what a coincidence! I already have a connection with St Josephine Bakhita!

195. Kathleen says:

My intention was to grow in the faith and learn more about the church… and zing! my saint is St Acca. I had never heard of him before but it says

Acca tackled his duties with much energy, in ruling the diocese and in conducting the services of the church. He also carried on the work of church building and decorating churches…He also introduced Christian arts and promoted learning.He was known also for his encouragement of students by every means in his power.

Sounds like a perfect match!

196. Ruthann Piepenburg says:

My patron saint for 2012 is St. Jerome! What a fascinating man. I look forward to learning more about him over the year. I already loved that he used the original Hebrew and Chaldean texts to translate the Bible into Latin (the Vulgate). I think he is a *perfect* choice for me. :o)

197. Adriana says:

Wonderful – I received – St. Urban of Langres. – “Bishop of Langres, France in 374. During a period of persecution of the Church, Urban hid for a while in a vineyard. There he converted the vine dressers, who then helped him in his covert ministry. Due to their work, and to Urban’s devotion to the Holy Blood, he developed great affection to all the people in the wine industry, and they for him.”

Wow – this brought me to tears. My novels that I’m writing are linked to the wedding at Cana and the wine that was served there. My characters are the Vine family of women. So glad to have found St. Urban. Humbled before God once again.

198. Linda Starr says:

Did you mean 2012 here?

[UPDATE: I just had the program choose my patron for 2011...]

199. James says:

Jennifer,
    I received St. Francis de Sales. His feast day is January 24th and he is the patron saint of educators. My birthday is January 24th and I am an Educator.

200. Mary Barbara says:

Blessed John Duns Scotus was selected. I might have “cheated” a bit because I didn’t like the first guy (St. Sigismund of Burgundy) – however, I will do more research on St. Sig because I’m sure there’s something in there that’s a message for me. I look forward to learning more from both saints. Thank you!

201. Jack Bennett says:

Mine came up Bl. Teresa of Calcutta. Unexpected to say the least.

202. Deborah says:

OK…..came here from the Anchoress: The choice was St. Cecilia. I’m a church musician: full time, children’s choir director and organist. She may be my most talked to saint in any case.

203. Jennifer Evancho says:

For 2012 – I got Blessed Titus Brandsma. We share a health prob. He is a Carmalite, I love St Tere. of Av. He wrote against anti-jewish marriage laws and said Catholic pubs can’t be Catholic if they had proNazi propaganda. So he got imprisoned and martyred in Dachau. Never even knew of this saint! Thank You

204. Paul Baylis says:

I was dreading the idea of printing out and cutting up a couple of hundred saints for drawing out of a hat. So, I was thinking of coding my own program to randomly select a saint. Then I found your site! Perfect. Each one of us in our family of 6 chose a saint. Providential or not, but I had been thinking of Padre Pio during the evening beforehand and even found a website with some recordings of his actual voice, which I was playing loudly to the family. So, who should choose me? Padre Pio!

205. Trish says:

My Patron Saint is “St Catherine of Sienna” my confirmation name. However, with the St Name Generator, I was given ” St Clair of Assisi” Patron St for eyes, phones and a few other things. I thought that was right on since I have terrible, painful allergies that affect my eyes, I have to use antibiotic drops and drops for the terrible pain. Plus, I work in a Doctors office and the phones are a huge issue since we don’t have an appointed operator. I giggled all day, even in terrible pain, which reminded me of how God does know exactly down to the detail of what I go through daily! My pain today brought tears but smiles too! :)

206. T Saksham says:

It’s St. Jude Thaddaeus for me. Lucky me ;-)
    T Saksham recently posted..Domain Name Generators

207. Pourquoi ne pas relater les significations déclarées la semaine dernieres selon la chambre national Au minimum on aurait la possibilité de chicaner selon les vrais taux

208. Carolyn says:

I got, St. Bernard of Menthon. Never heard of him before. He is the patron saint of skiers and mountains. Odd pick for me. The St. Bernard (dog) was named after him. I love dogs.

209. jhen says:

st. vincent de paul is my st. thank you for this helpful generator.. :)

210. So, I’ve seen links to this for a while, and I just never got around to it.
    And I think that’s because today’s choice was God’s “on purpose” moment for me – because when I got my saint, I immediately felt like God just reached out and soothed my heart.
    It was St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross.
    There are Two reasons she is a big deal for me.
    1. At the age of 17 I planned to move from my parents’ house to Germany after high school. The doors needed to be opened, especially funding. My mom started praying a novena to Edith Stein, still not a saint. Actually – a woman we had never heard of – but my mom thought the German connection would do it. Sure enough, and I believe through her intercession (and my mom’s) I had more than I needed, was taken in by good people overseas, and have been blessed in my faith life for over 20 years because of that German experience.
    2. I am now a doctoral student in Catholic theology. I fight almost weekly through the intercession of my sisters, the saints, against woundedness, andocentrism, sexism, perversions of feminism, etc, etc. St. Teresa Benedicta is one of “my girls”.
    Every day of pursuing this degree is a challenge. And it is these touchstones of our faith – this cloud of witnesses- that is allowing me to become more docile to the Holy Spirit, and stronger in fortitude and faith.
    Thanks!
    Christine Dalessio recently posted..Plenty of Reasons TO Send Your Daughter to College (or let her send herself!)

211. misty says:

I got Saint Mary of Eqypt. My first thought was “Oh, great! what does this mean”? Than I read more about her and she fit so well with my spiritual struggles.