Observations from the Walk for Life

I’m excited to report that I was able to make it to the West Coast Walk for Life while I was in San Francisco this weekend. I came really close to confining myself to the comfort of my hotel, but I’m so glad I went. Some pictures and observations:

I’ve never seen so many people in one place.

walk for life 3 Observations from the Walk for Life

I couldn’t make a rough estimate of how many people were there, because I could never see them all at once. Even when I found higher ground, the crowd stretched over one horizon to another. This video is the closest I could come to capturing it:

What you see there is only about 20% of the people in attendance. One man said he stood in one place and waited for the entire line of marchers to walk by, and it took an hour. I heard someone say that an estimated 40,000 turned out, but that seems a little low.

walk for life 8 Observations from the Walk for Life

I didn’t see a single media outlet there, which was odd given the enormity of the turnout. It basically shut down part of the city.

Overall, it was a young crowd.

walk for life 7 Observations from the Walk for Life

There were tons of people there aged 16 – 25, and they were full of energy for the cause. I wondered if that had anything to do with the fact that they all grew up in the age of ultrasounds, where we have a whole lot more information about what really goes on in the womb.

walk for life 51 e1295995620990 Observations from the Walk for Life

What I found most interesting was the counter-protestors. I was surprised that there were so few of them — they were like a drop of water in the ocean compared to the marchers. Also, their average age was older than that of the pro-life crowd.

walk for life cp1 Observations from the Walk for Life

The most striking thing was how many of them wore some sort of disguise.

walk for life cp5 Observations from the Walk for Life

I’d estimate that 30 – 50% of the counter-protestors wore some kind of costume or obscured their faces in some way.

walk for life cp4 Observations from the Walk for Life

Also fascinating was their heavy emphasis on the sacrilegious. Notice the upside-down cross on the face of the girl below. (I obscured part of her sign because it was really vulgar.)

walk for life 11 Observations from the Walk for Life

A focus of many of the signs was graphic, unbelievably crude sexual insults involving Jesus and Mary. This disgusting sign below is one of the few I can post a picture of, as it was, amazingly, one of the milder messages.

walk for life cp6 Observations from the Walk for Life

Some of them put on little impromptu plays where they’d pretend to be Jesus or Mary and pantomime lurid sexual acts, shouting profanity-laden narration all the while.

walk for life cp7 e1295992996463 Observations from the Walk for Life

The highlight of the day was listening to the testimonies of the courageous women of Silent No More. There wasn’t a dry eye on the field. God bless these women.

walk for life silent nm e1295993080742 Observations from the Walk for Life

It was a beautiful day in a beautiful city.

walk for life 10 e1295993166866 Observations from the Walk for Life

After seeing the turnout of this Walk and others like it, I have no doubt that the tide is turning. As I walked back to the train station, through crowds of awed onlookers, many of whom were whispering things like “Can you believe this?”, I felt filled with hope for the future of unborn life in this country.

RELATED

96 Responses to “Observations from the Walk for Life”
  1. Colleen says:

I’m from Vancouver, BC and was amazed seeing documentation of this event. Although I found it incredibly sad that such a huge event could take place and not have any sort of media coverage, it did enable me to have a conversation with my teenager about our secular media and what is reported is not necessarily what is really going on.

My mom was a huge part of the pro-life movement in Canada. She would have been so proud to see the amazing turnout. I can only imagine what it would have felt like to be a part of that.
    Colleen recently posted..The Monkeys Turning 4 Help Me

2. Dan Lord says:

This is incredible, Jen. I love your observations of the way the counter-protesters wear “disguises”–they actually disfigure themselves, and every facial expression is either a sneer or just dead cold. Thank you for going to SF and enduring creepy people!

3. Christine says:

What a powerful experience for you. The counter-protesters’ signs and get-ups are sickening. That would take some serious self-control to ignore. God bless all of those who were out speaking up for the unborn!

4. so there says:

While your observations capture a small number of extreme pro-choice protestors, I can assure you that there are many people like myself: young, well educated, respectful and well dressed who are pro-choice. As an atheist pro choice supporter, your blog fuels me with the energy and courage to stand my ground when it comes to abortion and the freedom to believe or not believe in a higher power.

The pro-choice people in your pictures seem a far cry from the people I’ve seen holding hateful signs that read “gays go to hell” on marches in support of same-sex rights.

• so there- just be courageous to really say what you believe in- you believe in abortion- you are pro-abortion. What has Roe v Wade really done for the country- 61% of all African American pregnancies in NYC ending in abortion? The eugenics movement of Margaret Sanger is doing well I suppose.

and being an atheist, you don’t care if the counter-protesters used anti-Christian symbolism (I don’t see any Islamic blasphemy- hmmmm)- but don’t you think that people will see the disrespect and they actually might turn against abortion? Just thoughts

• Kmo says:

Priest’s Wife,

I just want to quibble over terminology – Being pro-choice is NOT the same as being pro-abortion. There are many pro-choice individuals who find abortion abhorrent, but value an individual woman making a choice for herself and her baby. There are many pro-choice individuals who work to minimize the number of abortions by promoting adoption, abstinence, and contraception. I do not think it is fair to characterize someone who believes women should have a choice as being “pro-abortion.”

That said, I am also appalled at the offensive imagery in the above pro-choice posters, particularly the comment about the world being better off if Mary had an abortion. It is possible that someone who is not Christian would not understand the full impact of such a “joke,” but I am dismayed that anyone would think that was funny.

• Lee says:

“There are many pro-choice individuals who find abortion abhorrent, but value an individual woman making a choice for herself and her baby.”

So – am I to understand that a pro-choice individual values another individual’s right to make a decision to terminate her baby’s life? Is that what you have just written? That you value the “right” of a mother to kill her child? What about if the child was older – say, oh I don’t know, about six weeks out of the womb? Would you “value” that right of the mother to kill her baby then?
          Lee recently posted..Anali – I am glad you have written again

• Kmo says:

Lee,

I was simply pointing out that pro-choice individuals are NOT “pro-abortion” by default. It is not the same thing. Wanting to decriminalize marijuana, for example, does not mean that you want people to smoke marijuana. I know that’s a poor analogy, as some might argue marijuana is a victimless crime, whereas I don’t feel that way about abortion. I actually feel the same as you – which is why I mentioned that a woman would be making a choice for herself AND HER BABY. Many pro-choice individuals see it as a choice that a woman makes for herself only. Regardless, it’s not about wanting women to have abortions, it’s about wanting women to have a choice. Personally, I don’t think women SHOULD have that choice, since there is another life involved. Hopefully I am making sense and not just rambling. I am a former pro-choicer and don’t think the term “pro-abortion” is accurate for most pro-choicers.

• Kmo says:

P.S. I apologize if I sound argumentative about terminology. I’m not sure why this struck a chord with me. I am pro-life, but was formerly pro-choice, and have definitely seen some misconceptions on both sides. That’s part of why I love Jennifer’s blog – she has a great perspective.

• 'Becca says:

I’m not the original poster, but I am pro-choice, and yes, I do. I hope and pray that women make that decision only in the gravest of circumstances and in consultation with the father of the child and with God, but I believe it is their right to make the decision.

For exactly the same reasons, I value another individual’s right to make a decision to continue having children when I think she already has enough children, even if her pregnancies exacerbate a life-threatening medical condition such that she requires extra care at the expense of either her insurance plan (which will distribute the costs among other subscribers) or the taxpayers. I hope and pray that women will avoid such pregnancies, but I believe it is their right to make the decision.

This is why I believe my position is more accurately characterized as pro-choice than pro-abortion. I believe that abortion is the wrong choice in most situations, but because not everyone has the same values I do and because I don’t know everything about everyone’s personal business, I believe the choice must be left up to them.
            ‘Becca recently posted..Great source of nutrition and food-safety information!

• Christine M. Williams says:

so there,

I would highly recommend that you read Jennifer’s blog post “How I became pro-life,” which she linked to at the end of this post. She goes into detail about being pro-choice. I am sure that she understands that many pro-choice people are well educated, respectful and well dressed.

I hope we can agree that just as the images of pro-choice people in this blog post are abhorrent as are any other protest signs that express hatred, including those that claim others are going to hell.

• so there says:

I remain unchanged having read the “How I became Pro-life” post on here, but thank you for steering me towards it anyways.

As for the signs of protestors, we are entitled to free speech and expressing opinions in this country, right? I completely disagree with the March for Life, but fully recognize that people have the right to express their concern and opinion on this issue, even if I do not agree. I don’t think some of the signs pictured above are respectful, but I also see the protestors pictured above as possibly protesting something larger than the pro-life movement, which is heteronormativity, conservatism and attacks against alternative lifestyle.

Lastly, I don’t think pro-life gatherings that use enormous pictures of bloody babies and damaged reproductive organs are respectful either.

• MelanieB says:

so there,

I’m Catholic and pro-life and I agree with you that I find the pictures of bloody babies and such distasteful. Also ineffective rhetoric. If we want to convince people we’re right, I don’t think those tactics are effective. They just convince people that we are fringe loonies.
          MelanieB recently posted..An Hour

5. Kara says:

That’s wonderful! What a great crowd. The Phoenix March for life was pretty big too. I can’t wait for pics of that. We had a blast. I’d love to go to one of the bigger ones someday.

The counter protesters are disgusting. We didn’t have any this year, but last year they were just terrible. Not as bad as the ones you showed/mentioned, but still rude none the less. Amazing how different the two sides are.

We had one guy yelling from the light rail terminal that we would rather women be forced to use coat hangers. Such a ridiculous argument. I joked that his argument was so powerful that I was changing my mind on the issue. *rolls eyes*
    Kara recently posted..7 Quick Takes Friday – Volume 3 – Pro life – Abortion topic heavy

6. Debbie says:

Ugh. Only in SF. Loved your photos – glad you got to participate!

• Leslie says:

It is too bad- the counter protestors, that is. My family hails from San Francisco, and are practicing Catholics. There are many, many beautiful Catholic parishes there

7. Wow– thanks for the pics and video, Jen. It looks amazing, and this was just one of many times that I’ve read about where there was no (apparent) media coverage.

“So there” (the commenter above me) is so right to say that, as Christians, we always need to be cognizant of the words on our signs, too, so that our true message is not obscured by the medium. Although I’ve always thought that, even if I weren’t a Catholic– even if I were an atheist– the idea that anyone could decide who should and should not die would still sicken me.
    Lisa @ Cheerfully Chaotic recently posted..Ultimate denial

8. I also attended and found the disproportionate representation extremely hopeful. I pray we don’t relax our efforts until the race is won!
    David Charkowsky recently posted..A Catholic Reads What Does the Bible Really Teach

9. Meredith says:

I was on the March in D.C.! It was rather cold but we had a great turn out and it was great to hear the speakers.

10. Susan says:

Thanks for posting this. I really hope that you’re right and that abortion will one day be looked at as the horror that it really and truly is.

11. Thank you for sharing your pictures and observations. They are very encouraging. Last night after skimming the horrific Grand Jury report (http://www.phila.gov/districtattorney/PDFs/GrandJuryWomensMedical.pdf) regarding the abortionist Kermit Gosnell, I found myself crying out to the Lord to open the eyes of our nation so we can see that abortion is killing precious babies–not just getting rid of a lump of tissue–and is very wrong and should be illegal. Babies, including unborn babies, deserve to be protected.

I pray that the tide is indeed turning.
    Melissa @ Anxious for Nothing recently posted..Blue Heart Blessed- by Susan Meissner

• MelanieB says:

Sadly, many people who are pro-choice do believe it’s a baby and not a lump of tissue. They just think that the mother’s desire takes precedence over the child’s right to life.
      MelanieB recently posted..An Hour

12. Ottermom says:

I think that the tide is turning, as well. We were unable to go to the March in our area as it was very cold and I am getting over being sick, but next year we WILL go. My 18 year old daughter will be glad to know that she’s not alone in her age group. Life is precious.
    As far as the protesters, if they are so sure of their position then why do they feel the need to disguise themselves? Or act like they do?
    There is a murder mill (our name for them) not too far from where we live. The local Catholic church bought a vacant lot across from it, and they will never build anything on it – but they do have a very large billboard that can not be missed, facing the clinic. Stroke of genius!

13. Kerry says:

You got my mom, dad, and brother in that first pic!!!!!!!!
    My mom is in a blue shirt, and holding my dad’s hand, and my brother is in grey behind them.

AWESOME!!

You also captured the “essence” of the protesters. Yuck.

Thanks for the wonderful pics– glad you could make it.

I was at the March in DC yesterday..brrrr!

14. Prayers and fasting- for women that think abortion is their only choice

15. Ed says:

Thanks to all the Christians there making a stand. God bless you for that.

Don’t be intimidated by the people dressed in the weird costumes etc .. No doubt Our Lord would have mixed with people like this who had turned their backs on God – and He would have been persuading them of the great love of God for each one of them, and winning them back to His truth and light.

Jesus is the Good Shepherd leading the lost back to the flock.
    Nothing is impossible for God.

16. DN says:

I’ve been to a few Walks over the years, and these observations ring precisely true. The opposing crowd along the way seems to get both thinner *and* more violent and vulgar in their rhetoric. Last year they had a lovely jingle about feeding us to the lions, which I couldn’t help but laugh at since people of similar stripe had just finished telling me how unlike the Civil Rights Movement it was–we didn’t really risk anything, you know.

17. Theresa in Alberta says:

And NOT one word of this wonderful event can I find on Canadian secular media :-( Those sideline protestors,,,,,,,,,,so tragic….

18. Wow. No profound observations. Just…wow.

19. Suzanne says:

Knew you were going to be there and was hoping that you were a speaker, as i wanted so much to meet you!! Glad you had a good time, but next time have a ‘reception’ or something so we can meet you!! LOL!! It was a GREAT day!

20. Mary says:

So wonderful to see your pictures in SF! Me and my family went to DC for the March. We left PA with -2 degrees, but when we got there, the energy of the young people were just overwhelming. I think the tide is turning too! As for the media, nothing new. Only a few were there…Fox, EWTN, etc. But it’s ok, truth will still come out in the end. There were so many Bishops, priests, Anglicans, Lutherans, Baptists, Eastern Orthodox, and others. Also, I believe there were more pro-life politicians (on stage) this year. Yay!

21. Nicole C says:

So glad you were able to go. It’s great to see pics. I’ve always wondered what the atmosphere was like there! I’ll be posting pics of the national march soon…such a great event!! I also noticed the large number of young people!! They’re taking over! It’s wonderful!
    Nicole C recently posted..My idea of a celebrity

22. Lacia C says:

You rock! Thanks for posting this.

23. Loretta S. says:

Bizarre about the costumes on the counter-protestors…Wondering if other cities had the same experiences or is it just because San Fran can sometimes attract a fringe element?

• Kmo says:

The men who were dressed in costume are part of the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence. They frequently wear costumes in public (usually an absurd “nun” costume). I don’t think they were trying to hide their faces. Nonetheless, I think the revelry of the pro-choice protestors was distasteful.

24. Leila says:

Oh, goodness. The counter-protestors just make me so sad. What are they searching for? Well, God, obviously, but how sad that they probably don’t even realize how close peace is….
    Leila recently posted..The power of a nun in a habit

25. Kristy says:

This was unbelievably encouraging to read. Thank you!!!

26. Liesl says:

Love seeing the pictures! I attended the March for Life in DC and it was massive… and a young crowd! Lots of media there, of course, which is great. I didn’t run into any counter protesters either… which was weird. But maybe the tides are turning finally! I truly believe that my generation will help turn this back around.
    Liesl recently posted..1 John 4-7

27. Nina says:

Hey, Jen. I looked for you, but sigh…..there were TOO MANY PEOPLE. ;) I jokingly called it the Shuffle for Life as my family could barely move one foot in front of the other. We moved like snails, we were so compacted. Wow, I was overwhelmed by how many people were there.

There is a great video from the Walk on love2learnmom’s blog (I found it, thankfully, a la Danielle Bean’s links) that juxtaposes the two “camps”—interesting and meaningful. I was especially moved, and surprised to see my (very introverted) son near the front!—Ha. I had no idea. The rest of the family was way back in the line, and it was so long, that we didn’t even see him or meet up with him until the very end, and barely at that! What a day. God bless, Jen. Glad your bod allowed you to make it. :)

28. Kmo says:

Jennifer,

Since I have responded to a couple of your commenters, I should introduce myself. I am a recovering atheist. :) By recovering, I mean that I am still in the process. Your blog has provided a treasure trove of information and insight. You are a truly inspired writer!

– Kmo

29. Lee says:

Hi – I am one of your fellow walkers – I gave my testimony for Silent No More at the end of the walk. The police that I spoke to on the Marina Green said that they thought there were 40 to 50 thousand walkers – it took over four hours for everyone to make it to the end of the walk – and YES! we were compacted!

We must pray for those who protest – for it is not us that will change their hearts, but God.

God bless –
    Lee recently posted..Anali – I am glad you have written again

30. Clare says:

As a 20-something native San Franciscan and convert to Catholicism, I’m glad you enjoyed the city! Don’t be too bothered by the sacrilegious counter-protesters–most everyone who lives here is thoroughly bored by attention seeking teens and men in drag at this point, so they resort to the events with out-of-towners.
    It’s been so awesome to watch the march grow over the better part of a decade. I heard that there were at least 50,000 people this year. I have a lot of hope for the future of pro-life activity in San Francisco (and beyond!). I spent high school watching friends have abortions and the deep pain and sadness it caused all of us, for reasons we couldn’t quite explain. My conversion moment was when I realized that what we were grieving for–the loss of a child–had no place to be expressed in the rhetoric of SF liberalism and “choice”. PS. I love your blog!

31. Judy says:

May God have mercy upon those poor, lost souls who were blaspheming and desecrating all that is sacred with their lewd acts.
    I wanted you to know that my daughter, who marched in Washington DC, made the same observation as you in saying that there were not nearly as many “pro-choice” protesters in the crowd this year and in years past. I find it interesting that you are on the West Coast and we, on the East…and yet the atmosphere was the same…truly a sign that the “tides are changing” as you say! Thank God!
    Judy recently posted..Jan 18- Prayers-for-Mothers

32. Mary Kay says:

My daughter attended the DC March for Life with a large group from her school. Prior to the march they attended a Youth Mass and Rally at the Verizon Center. There was also a similar event for others at the DC Armory. At least 28,000 attended those events. I’m sure many more attended the march. Yet the Baltimore Sun covered it in a small article as thousands attending. No political agenda there.

33. Headless Mom says:

I’m glad you enjoyed your day! I’m not surprised about the lack of coverage. The media is so liberal here it’s almost sickening. You’d think the entire state were like those counter-demonstrators if you only watched traditional media. Don’t worry. Us conservatives are out here, we’re voting, and we’re getting tired of being pushed around and ignored.
    Headless Mom recently posted..Dont Rush Me- Mom!

34. Erin says:

Kmo, are you a Christian? If so, do you believe in the Body of Christ and that we are all a part of the Body of Christ? If you truly believe that, then the choice of a mother to kill her baby does not just effect the two of them. We are all effected by the sins of others. We are ALL call to defend the sancitify of every single soul that God created and Jesus Christ came and died on the cross for. The closer your relationship to Jesus, the more you are able to love like Him and He gives you a love for ALL souls that He came to save. So, for those of us who defend life, there is no distinction. Those babies are our brothers and sisters in Christ.

If you aren’t Christian, I welcome you to consider becoming part of the family of God. It is true, you will struggle, but you will also experience a peace and joy that this world cannot give. The world doesn’t even posses it, it is God’s to give.

God Bless you!!!

• Erin says:

This should have been a reply to KMO’s comment defending a distinction between pro=abortion and pro-choice.

Sorry, not sure how I messed that up.
      Erin recently posted..Spiderman was named after St Peter

• MelanieB says:

Erin, I think KMO’s comments are very helpful. The thing is if pro-lifers want people who identify as pro-choice to listen to us– really listen and not just tune us out– then we need to listen to them as well. We need to realize that fruitful discussion will begin by finding common ground and perhaps even conceding a point or two in order for them to realize that we are being reasonable. While I agree the “choice” is a euphemism that allows people to sidestep the reality of abortion, I think you’re more likely to make progress in discussion with individuals if you move past debating over the label and dig deeper into the real issues. As KMO says, many people who think of themselves as “pro-choice” do consider abortion distasteful. That should be a common ground we can start from as we talk to them. Assuming they like abortion or approve of it means you are ignoring the person and instead dealing with a caricature that you’ve created. All discussions of abortion must begin with recognizing the personhood of the person we’re talking to, listening to them and respecting that they have reasons for their choices and reasons for their beliefs. Only by beginning there can we convince them that we care about the personhood of the mother and the unborn child.
        MelanieB recently posted..An Hour

• Erin says:

I couldn’t agree with you more, MelanieB. However, we are still always called to speak God truth. God’s absolute truth isn’t relative and doesn’t change out of respect or compassion for another human being. It is, however, ALWAYS to be spoken with the love of God because that is how HE speaks it. He doesn’t hit us over the head with His truth, He reveals it to us in the quiet stillness of our hearts through a growing, loving relationship with Him, little by little.

God Bless!
          Erin recently posted..Spiderman was named after St Peter

• MelanieB says:

Erin,

Exactly. God’s absolute truth doesn’t change but we should still recognize that people are at different stages in their journey and may be more open to receiving some parts of the truth more than others. (Obviously they can’t digest all of the whole Truth at once. No one can.) So I think in talking to someone who is objectively in error, you still have to choose which truths to emphasize and which to skip over for the moment. St Paul says we should have compassion on those whose faith is weaker than ours. He also says something to the effect that those who are grown no longer need baby food; by implication I take him to mean also that those who are still in their infancy in terms of recognizing the Truth of Christ may still need to be given milk before they are ready for the stuff that is harder to chew on.
            MelanieB recently posted..An Hour

• Larissa says:

Melanie B, I really appreciate your pro-dialogue stance. It’s a real breath of fresh air. I have too many pro-choice friends whose hearts I know well and to call them pro-abortion would immediately shut down any kind of discourse. I’m glad there are people willing to realise this and not simply ‘shut down’ dissenting voices.

• Kmo says:

Erin,

Thank you for the insight. As you noted below, I do not yet identify as Christian, but find myself wanting to open my life to Jesus Christ. I think part of what has been difficult for me with this pro-choice/pro-life issue is that I know so many pro-choice women who do so much to prevent abortion (for example, my pro-choice parents adopted four children and welcomed pregnant teens and teen mothers into our home), so I don’t feel comfortable seeing them as being on the “opposite” side of this issue or being “pro-abortion.” I know there are also many pro-life women who do much to help pregnant women in need, and I respect that. I guess I just see many areas where pro-life/pro-choice women could work together.

However, I am only beginning to learn about the Christian perspective. Your response was very helpful. Thank you.

And actually, now that I’m writing this post, it makes me realize that I may be struggling because I do not want to see my family and friends as being on the “wrong” side. I should re-read Jen’s post about her gay friends. :)

• Erika says:

Kmo,

I’m so glad you’re considering allowing Jesus to work in your life. I was raised nominally a Baptist, was away from any kind of church for many years, and after a long period of study and consideration (and eventually, prayer) joined the Lutheran church at 29. It would be the understatement of the century to say that choosing to return to our Father, and raising my children in faith, was the best choice I ever made. When I have the opportunity to share the news of God’s love, all I ever ask is that people keep an open mind and heart–so many people have already convinced themselves that religion is for fools and suckers–so it makes me happy to hear that you are doing just that. Reading, considering and being open, and then just seeing what happens!

In other news, I wanted to say that I appreciate and agree with your thoughtful and moderate observations on the “pro-choice/pro-life” labels. Views on abortion are so complicated, and so hard for many people to discuss; getting caught up in labels and pigeonholes promotes divisiveness and erodes the possibility of people with varying viewpoints to work together to reduce the number of abortions taking place. And that should be the goal. It is much more useful to stop and listen to why “pro-choice” believe what they do, than to tell them for the millionth time that they are wrong. Mutual respect goes a long way toward the possibility of a changed heart.

• 'Becca says:

Erin wrote: the choice of a mother to kill her baby does not just effect the two of them. We are all effected by the sins of others. We are ALL call to defend the sancitify of every single soul that God created and Jesus Christ came and died on the cross for.

I agree with this, but it seems that it must mean something different to me than it does to you. I believe that Jesus died and rose to demonstrate that this life is not everything; there is more. The sanctity of a soul does not depend on its being in a living body. We defend the sanctity of every soul by ensuring that every person in his life on this earth gets the care and love he deserves. If a mother feels that she must abort her baby because she cannot find a way to provide him care and love and/or because she herself does not have the care and love she needs to get through the pregnancy and birth, then we as a society and as a species have failed, we are sinners, because we are letting these precious souls slip through the cracks. Killing the body is a sin. But ignoring the suffering of immortal souls is a far greater sin. In my opinion.
      ‘Becca recently posted..Great source of nutrition and food-safety information!

• Erin says:

Becca,

You have such a compassionate heart. That is so beautiful. I guess the heart of the issue is that life is not ours to take, not even a mother who cooperated with God in the creation of that life. Killing is a sin and if we, although compassionately, condone or rationalize the right of a woman to kill her baby because circumstances may not be ideal for her to care for or provide for that child or it may become a burden for others, we are not loving her. We are not defending the sanctity and dignity of her life.

God created that little baby for a purpose. I agree with you in that we are a sinful society and yes, many babies are born into horrible conditions and live lives of misery. That is heartbreaking and I assure you that THAT is NOT the plan of our loving God, but the consequences of our sins in this world, but nevertheless, WE don’t have the right as a sinful society to determine that the life of a child God created has not right to exist. It is not up to us. YES, WE can and should work to create a better world through many, many ways, but perpetuating the very sin that creates that kind of horrible environment is just wrong. I’m sorry, Becca. It just is.

God bless you, Becca. God has given you a beautiful heart. Seek answers from your Jesus and not the world that blurs truth. I recently read that the best thing we can do for our children, our family, our friends, and our world is to continue always growing in our own personal holiness, always drawing closer and closer to Jesus through prayer and time with Him.

God Bless
        Erin recently posted..Spiderman was named after St Peter

35. Wow, those pro-choice protesters are not very impressive are they.
    angela michelle recently posted..Drama

36. Lisa says:

I too attended the Walk for Life in SanFrancisco on Saturday. What an awesome experience! This year my husband, 8yr old son and 6yr old daughter also walked. The two kids walked the entire way and never complained and they want to go next year!

I walked last year in the rain and was surprised at how few protestors there were but figured it was because of the weather. This year with the perfect weather I thought there would be a lot of protestors, but again was really surprised at how few there were.

Next year we plan on helping to fund raise so we can get more people from our parish to attend. It was a great way to spend our Saturday!
    Lisa recently posted..TWINS!

37. Judy says:

For KMO:

I do not think you appear argumentative…but I would like to offer these thoughts in response to your comments, if I may:

As Christians and Catholic Christians, we believe that in issuing the 10 Commandments, GOD Himself, has already chosen; hence, there is no “choice” other than whether or not to obey/follow God’s already-made-given choice.
    In other words, we can not be Christians and Catholics in good standing and profess to believe that a woman has a “right” to “choose” whether or not to kill her baby…she has a right of choice, so to speak…but that right of choice is the right to obey God’s choice…or not. Therefore, we can not approve of or promote the colloquial term of “Pro-choice” as it is intended in our society as it carries an underlying meaning of “each woman has a right to choose whether or not to kill her baby”…and..we do not have that right of choice…as I have expressed above; hopefully, articulately enough that it makes sense when read in this format.

So, not only are we not “pro-abortion” but neither are we “pro-choice” as it is understood to mean politically and socially today.

God made the choices from all time in eternity…He did not bestow any right of choice on us; other than whether or not we choose to follow His commands.

I wish you much peace…I am happy you grew in spirit and are now pro-life…and I hope that you accept this comment in the way it is intended; that being with Christian charity and fellowship to gain a common understanding among us. God bless you!
    Judy recently posted..Jan 18- Prayers-for-Mothers

• Kmo says:

Judy,

Thank you for the response. I suppose one area of Christianity that confuses me is the notion that humans can choose whether to be Christian – should Christians take away that choice by forcing people to follow Christian values? In any case, I need to do a LOT more research and praying to begin to understand Christian philosophy and moral values. Obviously the free-will/choice discussion is very complex, and I think that’s one of the sticking points for many atheists/agnostics. Thanks for your insight and perspective on the matter.

• Judy says:

You’re so welcome KMO…and you will be in my prayers as you quest for Truth…
        I do not think Christians want to “force” Christian values upon another…but the fact that one does not subscribe to Christian belief does not make an Absolute Truth any less “there”.
        In other words, someone NOT believing in God does not make God cease to exist…it just means that they do not believe in Him.
        Therefore, when hold His Truth as evident in our lives…it is inextinguishable…unable to be made to cease to exist…even if NO ONE followed Him…HE and HIS COMMANDS would still “BE”…and when we DO follow Him…we are bound to abide in Him and to profess Him…no matter what…I like to say that I will take Christ’s word that “HE IS” sooner than I will take a man’s word that “He isn’t”.
        Best wishes to you, KMO! I hope that one day you will return to Jen’s to tell us all that you have accepted Jesus as your Savior…and in the meantime, no matter what the end of your search holds…I enjoy your thoughts and discussion…thank you.
        Judy recently posted..Jan 18- Prayers-for-Mothers

• Kmo,

You wrote: “I suppose one area of Christianity that confuses me is the notion that humans can choose whether to be Christian – should Christians take away that choice by forcing people to follow Christian values?”

The decision to become Christian requires a personal response of faith that cannot be coerced. In Catholic terminology, this is known as the right to religious freedom. Here is the description in the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

“Freedom is exercised in relationships between human beings. Every human person, created in the image of God, has the natural right to be recognized as a free and responsible being. All owe to each other this duty of respect. The right to the exercise of freedom, especially in moral and religious matters, is an inalienable requirement of the dignity of the human person. This right must be recognized and protected by civil authority within the limits of the common good and public order.” (CCC 1738, http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s1c1a3.htm)

But some matters of morality, such as abortion, concern fundamental human rights, such as the right to life. These are based on the dignity of the human person and are knowable to all by virtue of reason (i.e. they do not depend on faith and divine revelation). Thus, a belief in a right to choose abortion goes beyond “the limits of the common good.”

Therefore the state has the duty to uphold the right to life and prohibit direct abortion through laws for the sake of the common good:

“The inalienable right to life of every innocent human individual is a constitutive element of a civil society and its legislation: ‘The inalienable rights of the person must be recognized and respected by civil society and the political authority. These human rights depend neither on single individuals nor on parents; nor do they represent a concession made by society and the state; they belong to human nature and are inherent in the person by virtue of the creative act from which the person took his origin. Among such fundamental rights one should mention in this regard every human being’s right to life and physical integrity from the moment of conception until death.’

‘The moment a positive law deprives a category of human beings of the protection which civil legislation ought to accord them, the state is denying the equality of all before the law. When the state does not place its power at the service of the rights of each citizen, and in particular of the more vulnerable, the very foundations of a state based on law are undermined.'” (CCC 2273, http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c2a5.htm)

For more discussion of this specific to abortion, I’d suggest an essay entitled “Reason, Faith and the Abortion Debate” by Fr. Scott McCaig, CC (the general superior of my community, the Companions of the Cross) available online at http://www.socon.ca/or_bust/?p=1540

38. Thag Jones says:

I’m not surprised the MSM wasn’t there, seeing as it doesn’t fit their agenda. Why would they report on something that goes against so much that the left has fought for?

The whole pro-choice movement started with fabricated statistics. I can’t find the link at the moment or remember the doctor’s name, but there is an essay by a former abortionist who was a large part of promoting abortion but who is now a pro-life activist, in which he talks about how they convinced Americans to accept abortion. Maybe someone else knows who I’m talking about; it’s been a while since I looked that one up.

39. Erin says:

KMO,

I’m sorry. I see in a later post you stated that you aren’t a Christian. Well, the fact that you are frequently this blog means that you are responding to God’s invitation to the fullness of this life, His purpose for creating you. I’ll pray for you. This is a great place for resources and to seek more info. Jen’s witness is powerful and her spiritual journey amazing. I would encourage you to seek with your heart through prayer and increased knowledge and let the Holy Spirit guide you.

Again, God Bless you on your journey!!

40. LP says:

Wow, Jen. I have tears in my eyes seeing those young angry counterprotestors. The sacreligious stuff tears my heart out – not simply at the offense to our Lord – He is worthy of all praise but knows every sin under the sun and extends His Mercy to each and every one – but rather out of sadness for those kids who have no idea what they are missing or why they are so angry. (This is in aignificant contrast to the DC march, which I’ve participated in at least 10 times – in my experience, there has always been a handful of counter-protestors, but more intellectual-feminist-types, with a lot less vulgarity – suppose that’s partly due to the “personality” of the two respective cities, but eye opening for me as someone who feels pretty familiar with the pro-life movement.) So glad you had the chance to go!

• Erin says:

LP,

That’s what tore at my heart as well. The young lost souls who have no idea what they are truly doing, but one day will see and sob in pain from deep remorse at what they’ve done and the choices they have made.

But hey, thanks to Jen, they will be in our prayers and I have hope that one day they’ll accept God’s invitation to the life filled with the joy, love, and acceptance that only He can give as well as His endless amount of Mercy.
      Erin recently posted..Spiderman was named after St Peter

41. Great post! I’m originally from San Francisco and took part in sort of an earlier version of the Walk for Life back in the 80s – a 32 mile walk from the South Bay into the heart of the city. We usually had 100 or 150 people back then (we stayed overnight in a parish hall). It’s thrilling to see tens of thousands of people turning out for this beautiful event!
    Love2learn Mom recently posted..Culture Clash at the West Coast Walk for Life

42. I went to each SF Walk For Life for my entire time in undergrad, from 2005-2009; this was the first I had to miss, and I was very sad about it, because I graduated from Thomas Aquinas College. At the head of the line:

you will find us every year, two hundred or more students and several alumni, directing the banner; roughly half to three-quarters of the student body buses, flies or drives up to San Francisco from Santa Paula, which is right by Santa Clarita and inland of Ventura. They arrive the night before, attend the annual all-night Eucharistic Adoration at Sts. Peter and Paul in Little Italy (my favorite church in San Francisco, because I am a Dante scholar, and the front facade is emblazoned with a Paradiso quote) and stay joyfully in their cold auditorium, so as to wake up early the next morning, head to the official Mass, and get to the Walk early enough to be coordinated. I myself had the joy of helping to coordinate the backup-face of the Walk last year. It is a pleasure and an honor to help other pro-life people who wish their voice, and more importantly the voice of the unborn, to be heard.

Some highlights: One time, I was walking with the school choir director, whose family is notoriously large and extended within the TAC community. He and his family are very well loved. Among other things, they often sing Latin hymns, for fun, as a family, as that is part of our Catholic heritage. We were carrying the Thomas Aquinas College banner, just aft of the front banner, and singing; the protesters were trying to shout us down, but it’s hard to shout down a four part harmony in C Major. One of them, I remember, shouted “Why don’t you sing something we *underSTAND*?” The director, without missing a beat, responded with a grin: “Because we don’t speak APE!”

If one is glad that the Walk proceeded well in 2006, one ought to thank a particular graduate from ’07, who directed it. Here are some photos.

Similarly, if one is glad it went well in 2009, one need look no further than a member of my own class. TAC always leads the way with the Walk for Life. And I can say, from experience of how it was in 2006, that the protesters are a joke. There were a lot of them then, then more, then NONE (apparently the word had gone out that they were hurting their own cause by acting that way) and finally only a few. Code Pink showed up for the first two; the “‘sisters’ of perpetual indulgence”, who deserve neither title nor capital letters, show up each time; we just ignore them, because they are meaningless, both relatively and objectively. Relative to the protest, they can do nothing but hurt themselves. Objectively, they have already done so; they dedicate themselves to the protest of the right of the innocent to live, and thus lose all innocence and meaning themselves.

If you get the chance next year, find the kids in the TAC sweaters and say hi. You won’t regret it.

43. Lisa says:

I think we may have to consider coming to the West Coast March for Life sometime. I didn’t know there was one. We’ve been to the D.C. March several times, and as inspiring as it is, it is always FREEZING and not exactly pleasant. Not that that is the point, but traveling with a small child AND freezing temps…that’s just a little more than we want to take on. D.C. has counter-protesters too, but I’ve never seen any quite as…colorful as the ones you show. Or as obscene. And their numbers are always quite small.

44. Jen,

So glad to see the pictures of the vibrant young faces at the SF march. I had intended to go to the Dallas March for Life (which stops at the steps of the courthouse where RvW was decided), but at 28 weeks into my pregnancy I had severe Braxton-Hicks contractions the previous morning and was ordered to take it easy for the next few days by my OB. Hopefully this one will continue to bake for another couple of months before making her entrance into the world, at least! I also was hosting my son’s 3rd birthday party (he was born the 23rd) that day, but as I was cleaning and preparing for the party, I continued to pray for those in the various marches around the country and for the lost innocents since RvW. And you, Jen, are always in my prayers.

45. Judy says:

To the commenter who said that the signs bearing images of murdered babies are disrespectful…that is the whole point…to show how disrespectful abortion truly is. It seems that the message was clearly conveyed to you by looking at the images.
    I’d also like to add that human sexuality is not a “lifestyle”, nor does an “alternative” to it exist. It is part of a beautiful and perfect Absolute Truth, ordained by God and given to us for the purpose and invitation to take part in the miracle of procreation with Him…His thoughts on it are clear; as well as His expectations of us, regarding it.
    We are free to follow or not…but the Truth is still evident and existing for all eternity.
    May He bless you and help you to find the joy in His ways.
    Judy recently posted..Jan 18- Prayers-for-Mothers

• MelanieB says:

Judy, I’m staunchly pro-life but I think such signs and the attitude they represent are problematic if our goal is really to change people’s hearts and minds who don’t agree with us. It seems to me that if we want people who are pro-choice to listen to us, part of that begins by having respect for their feelings of repulsion. While it’s true those signs are effective for some, opening their eyes to the horrors of abortion, for many more people when they see that kind of sign they automatically turn off any willingness they might have previously had to consider a reasonable argument from a pro-life perspective. They see pro-lifers as fringe lunatics and don’t hear those arguments which they might truly find persuasive. As a pro-life mother with three children under five (soon to be four) I seriously question the wisdom of such tactics. I don’t want my kids to see those kinds of pictures. Not yet. Not until they are much, much older. I want to preserve their innocence of the ugliness of sin until they are formed enough to be capable of handling it. I imagine many mothers and fathers who consider themselves pro-choice but are uncomfortable with abortion feel the same. They shut their ears to their discomfort because they don’t like what they see when they look at pro-lifers.
      I think that when forming a message it is of utmost importance to consider the person you want to receive that message and how you can frame what you have to say in a way which they will be able to hear.
      MelanieB recently posted..An Hour

• Judy says:

Melanie,

While I appreciate your thoughts; I disagree in that I do not think that shielding people from the horrible images of the reality of abortion makes them any “more” able to receive or hear the message.
        Like you, as a mother of many (I have 10 children and the last 6 were born in 7 years’ time…so we have 8 still at home with 6 of them under age 10)…I am very conscious, carefully discerning, and mindful of what I allow my children to view. (I always think of Corrie Ten Boom telling her father’s analogy of giving a child a suitcase to carry…and that a loving parent will only give them one proportionate in weight to what they are able to handle…thus, the same is for the information and images we give to our children…only what they can handle) For this reason…only our teenagers attend the March for Life…it has become rather a right-of-passage in our family; that when they reach their teen years (IF we think they can “handle the suitcase”) they begin to March in DC. It is up to each parent to decide what they present to their child…However, I do not believe that people should refrain from showing those images…the same might be said for images of war…while I’m certain that there are some which are “gratuitous” in nature and almost seem to glorify the gore or the violence…most of the images I have seen show the stark reality of what happens when a woman murders her child in the womb…I believe it is unfair to make a blanket statement saying that because you find the images distasteful…that you feel they backfire in getting the message across.Some people, upon seeing the reality of those images…have reached conversion…have become pro-life…and have even changed their hearts and minds about having an abortion…so what you say might be true for some…but not for all…for others…those images are exactly what is needed to get it all to “sink in” if-you-will. I will share a story with you that happened recently near our home. There is an abortion center just blocks from a Catholic Church…for years…each Thursday, priests, sisters, deacons, and lay-people pray the rosary and hold the signs bearing the images you find distasteful….just a few weeks ago…a teenage mother, with her 1 1/2 old baby on her hip…walked briskly up to an older man who is known for “his signs” and for his weekly presence on the sidewalk…she showed him her son and said, “I just want you to know that a year and a half ago, I came to this building, pregnant with the intent of going inside to have an abortion…but I saw you grumpy old men standing here with your prayer beads and your signs…and I decided NOT to…and I just wanted you to know that”.
        And so, Melanie…while I respect your opinion and thank Jennifer for allowing us to exchange ideas here on her blog…I will let that story stand for itself in how I feel about those images…on that day, for that young girl…those images SAVED A BABY. God bless you and your dear family.
        Judy recently posted..Jan 18- Prayers-for-Mothers

• MelanieB says:

But Judy, I don’t at all dispute that graphic images are in fact effective for SOME people. In fact, I said that in my comment. I have heard many such success stories. I know they have in fact saved lives.

BUT for every such success story of a woman who decides to keep her child or someone whose heart is changed from pro-choice to pro life because of graphic images of abortion, there are other stories I’ve heard from people who remain firmly pro-choice in the face of such images. Who in fact are deterred from listening because of them. They think all pro-lifers are religious fanatics.

Isn’t it possible that had those same priests, sisters, deacons, and lay-people been there with rosaries and prayers but without the graphic signs (which not only I but many people find distasteful– my argument is really not based on my feelings but those I’ve heard expressed by people who consider themselves pro-choice) that instead of one woman it might have been a dozen? Isn’t it possible that they would be more effective and not less?

Yes, we don’t have firm numbers for how many people ignored protesters in front of clinics and had the abortion anyway because their disgust at such images hardened their hearts instead of softening them. We don’t have figures. But I’ve heard stories too.

And so I wonder if you weigh them in the balance how many people have each reaction? How many possible converts have been lost because the message didn’t reach them where they were at? St Paul says we need to be patient with those whose faith is weaker than ours. It seems to me that part of being patient with those who are pro-choice is talking to them in a language they can understand, to meet them where they are. And for some people such images simply won’t work. We ignore that truth not at our peril but at theirs. We are willing to let those souls slip through our grasp if we are unwilling to modify and restrain our message to be something they can hear. How many babies have been lost because of the inflexibilty of some pro-lifers who are unwilling to give up their signs?

I’m not saying graphic images don’t have a place. I think they do. But I’m not convinced that that place is on a sign in public where everyone can see. I think it should be handled with tact and sensitivity and in such a way that parents can control how and when their children are exposed to them. Because that is every parent’s right, it isn’t exclusive to those of us who are pro-life.
          MelanieB recently posted..An Hour

• Judy says:

It occurs to me, as I read your reply, Melanie…that God blesses BOTH approaches…and how fitting…signs for those who will be reached by them…and quiet conversations for those who turn away from the active presentation of “reality” posters.
            This way…both types of people may be reached, in Christian love and charity.
            God bless!
            Judy recently posted..Jan 18- Prayers-for-Mothers

46. Erin says:

KMO,

Thanks for giving me insight into some people who hold the pro-choice position, like your family. I like the way Judy expressed the knowledge of God’s truth and how once you know it and embrace it, you are called to live it fully. God’s truth isn’t relative to how we feel and doesn’t change to accommodate others. That’s why we can’t bend on the truth, but we are called to speak it with love, not hate.

It appears that your family has many aspects of God’s truth. They recognize and respect life and have compassion for the mothers, however that compassion is misplaced in thinking that allowing a woman to kill her baby will bring her freedom when it only brings deep, deep wounds.

It sounds like they need someone (perhaps you) to bring them into the fullness of God’s truth, with love. Speaking the truth should always be done with love and dignity always remembering that EVERY SOUL is precious to Jesus, as He died for us all.

The same can be said for those who are gay. It doesn’t change just because someone doesn’t choose to embrace it, but we are called to love all souls with dignity and respect. I can’t imagine the turmoil someone who is gay goes through and how they must feel rejected by Jesus because so many Christians today don’t treat them with dignity and respect. The truth is that Jesus died for them and loves them as much as He loves me. Jesus NEVER rejects a soul, never. It’s our choice to sin that builds a wall and blocks US from full access to Jesus’ love and grace, HE NEVER rejects us. He’s always there waiting for us to choose Him. He, alone, can give the love, acceptance, and joy that our hearts seek.

God bless you again and continue to seek with an open heart.

• Elizabeth says:

Erin,

I really appreciate your thoughtful and respectful comments. I don’t think it is ever particularly helpful to respond with angry judgement, pity, or accusations. I, too, am “new” to Christianity–still exploring and finding my way, but committed. One of my favorite Christian authors is Philip Yancey because he sees the shades of gray in people’s lives and seems to genuinely care about everyone, even people who do things that aren’t considered “Christian.” He tells a great anecdote in one of his books about a prostitute (I think) who won’t go to church because she’s afraid that instead of finding God’s grace, she’ll only get heaps of condemnation from the parishioners. While reading Jen’s post (and the subsequent comments), I kept thinking, “If only we could all sit down and really talk to each other with open hearts…I bet we would agree more than we would disagree. Maybe we could solve this issue once and for all so that everyone was happy.” Wishful thinking, perhaps, but shouting each other down at protest marches doesn’t seem to be getting us very far, either.

47. thereserita says:

You know, years ago I lamented the Poor-to-Zero coverage given these annual marches by the MSM but I don’t anymore because now I realize how God & the Blessed Mother love to fly under the radar. While all the Powers That Be are sure they’re in control of death, God is busy turning this world into a culture of life right under their arrogant noses….just like Mary said in the Magnificat!

48. You pointed out something that Simcha Fisher did, too: how little the Walk for Life is covered by mainstream media. She called them ninja protesters…or something like that.
    I told Leila we’ll have to plan a Phoenix blogging convention to get all the fun bloggers to come and STAY a night in Phoenix instead of just pass through. I’m trying not to be to hard on Leila for hogging you all to herself. Good thing I like her ;)
    Praying for your health in your pregnancy! Blessings.
    Alishia Hanson recently posted..Walker Percy on Scientists 1987

49. Dexter Tiro says:

I am a young Catholic from the Philippines, and I am very happy to know that Catholic Americans are actually marching to defend life. I thought that all Americans are for abortion and that they would do nothing to hold firm to their faith and defend it. I used to think of most Americans as abortion resorting people since all contraceptive-thinking and pro choice influence that Filipinos have today came from America. I am happy nevertheless to learn that I am wrong. God bless the American Catholics! God Bless all Christians who stood up to defend life! Your brothers and sisters here in the Philippines are behind you!

• Judy says:

It breaks my heart to think that the influence of birth control and abortion was thrusted upon your nation from my own, Dexter.
      I am so relieved and happy to learn that you can now see that not all Americans are like that. God bless you!
      Judy recently posted..Jan 18- Prayers-for-Mothers

• Dexter Tiro says:

Yes Judy, USAIDs and other donor agencies including the EU are admittedly funding numerous organizations that works for advancing contraception and abortion in the Philippines in the guise of development. They see our country which is in dire need of your developmental help, and that we have no choice but to receive this help even if sometimes they are not relevant. But I am not blaming all Americans, there are even some pro choice Filipinos who are part of the game. The Church here is even engaged in a long standing battle against a Bill being proposed that will legalize all forms of contraception and will eventually pave the way for abortion. Pro choice would often antagonize the church charging that the church is irrelevant, they would even resort to the sacrilegious and the blasphemous. Its actually a sad scene, just like what you have been fighting for in your own country, and I hope, this Bill will never find its way in my beloved country, otherwise it would be a shame for the once “only Christian country in Asia”. Thanks Judy and God Bless you!

50. Aggie Grant says:

It’s good to see such a strong showing for the pro-life worldview. Still, I wonder how likely any turning of the tide is in the near future. It’s easy to surround yourself with similar voices in the heart of Texas or at events like this, but the facts remain that abortion on demand is the law of the land throughout most of the developed world, and there’s broad support for this at least in the US. There idea that no life is valuable before birth is ancient and firmly rooted in the hearts of virtually all of my old friends on the west coast. I don’t mean to sound despairing in all this, and I’m glad you had a great expience in San Francisco, but I think the battle to win the hearts and minds of our culture and protect all human life as fully as possible has barely begun.

51. This is so encouraging, Jennifer. If hearts are changing in the Bay Area, they can change anywhere. I used to live in San Francisco. It is indeed beautiful and open and sophisticated. But it is also dark with paganism and hopelessness and anger. What a joyful thing to see so many young people believing that abortion is a choice to kill.

52. Melanie says:

Happy for you to have made the march! I have only ever attended the DC march and it is also very powerful. Never saw anything like the protesters in your photos, wow!
    Melanie recently posted..Rosary First Responder

53. Erin says:

Elizabeth,

I agree with you. I’m sure no one has ever brought another soul into the fullness of God’s truths with angry judgment, pity, or accusations. It is only through the love of Jesus and their relationship with Him that change hearts. I recently read something that basically said that we are called to show others the love of Jesus and support a relationship with Him, but it is up to Jesus to change their hearts.

I do, however, firmly believe that we are always called to speak the truth in love. For example, I think it is a fabulous idea for pro-choices, pro-abortionists, and pro-lifers to treat each other with the dignity and respect that each hold as children of God who are redeemed by Christ. However, the absolute truth of God is that He created each individual soul with that same dignity and respect (and with a purpose, a mission in life, I might add) from the moment of conception and that doesn’t change. For someone who is pro-life to deny that truth in a compassionate attempt to “compromise” so we can all be happy would be a grave mistake. It denies God’s absolute truth that HE created all life from the moment of conception. It also is a grave injustice to the mothers who continue to believe that killing their babies is their only option and “right” when in fact, it can rob them of the fullness of life and the purpose God intended for their life. They deserve better than that and God has far better plans for them than the deep emotional pain that is the longterm result of a woman exercising her “right” to take the life of her baby.

God Bless!!

54. Margo says:

I can’t believe what I’m seeing. Thanks for providing this info and these photos and video. It’s beyond disturbing. I can’t even comment, other than to say thank you to all of the people who have commented and are proof that there is still hope for this troubled and morally deformed world.
    Margo recently posted..Moral Decay in America

55. Joy says:

Wow, Jennifer… I hope that you are right and the tide is turning. For me, just looking at the pictures of the counter-protesters is kind of depressing, but I love seeing all the younger people rallying for life. When I got pregnant at age 20 (already married, mind you) twelve years ago, I was kind of surprised by the reactions of “pro-life” people at my church who couldn’t believe my husband and I had “allowed” ourselves to get pregnant before becoming established in careers. I felt like we were judged more than the guy who led worship and got a girl pregnant out of wedlock around the same time. If I could go back in time, I think I’d ask how dare they, but by the grace of God, our family is so abundantly blessed. LIFE is good.
    Joy recently posted..Love in Translation

56. Erin says:

I just want to add another comment. A friend of mine happened upon a blog kissesfromkatie.blogspot.com. This is a remarkable story about an American college student who went to Uganda on a missionary trip after college. Her heart was so moved by what she experienced there, she now, at 22 years old, is the adoptive mother of 14 little girls. One of her daughters, I believe it was one of her daughters or one of the villagers, was brought to her at 4 years old weighing 6 pounds, her feet covered with chigger bites and her extended stomach with multiple cuts (apparently the local villages believe you can alleviate the swelling from a malnurished stomach by cutting holes). She spent hours pulling the chiggers out of the child’s feet and tended her cuts and fed her, but most importantly loved her. Katie, at her tender young age, brings Jesus to the people of Uganda. Just the two postings I read, I can tell you that she would never entertain the idea that any of those children not have the right to exist. She rejoices at the birth of the child of one of her friends in the village and she mourns the loss of a little baby b/c of malnutrition that she was too late to help.

Yes, we are called to serve the suffering immortal souls in this world, but again, not by perpetuating sin.

Please check out Katie’s blog. There is a spot where you can donate money to help her to help her fellow villagers.

57. On a side note, I hope you also stayed out of your hotel room long enought to visit Alcatraz. That’s a lot of fun.
    sister mary martha recently posted..ON and on

58. Anne Marie says:

Someone may have already commented or you may already know this, but I believe the folks with the face paint and the head dress call themselves “Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence” and they are involved with Most Holy Redeemer Church in San Francisco. Here’s a link to info and some disturbing video of their silliness. http://www.traditioninaction.org/HotTopics/a02xAlert_MFR_Engel.html#indulgence

59. KatorikuRant says:

I AM SO GLAD YOU CAME!!! I heard the number in SF turned out to eventually be 50,000.

I went to DC and there were 400,000 people! We didn’t have so many protesters either- perhaps maybe 15. Maybe. It was hilarious watching the Notre Dame students take care of them…they were the oxymoronic “Catholics” for “choice” and decided to pray a Rosary. Of course the ND people joined in…emphasizing that whole FRUIT OF THY WOMB thing vociferously. No name calling, no glares (well, they glared) just prayer with a little oomph.

Its sad that the protesters (SF) are so paranoid that they hide their faces, although a few looked like the “Sisters of Hedonism” or something like that- they’re (in)famous for going to Masses for the express purpose of desecrating the Eucharist. They’re usually gay or bi men, and I guess they give money to GLBT charities.

I guess the only thing to do is pray for people like that. Although, if you see someone sporting the upside down cross, thank them for their devotion to Saint Peter, who was crucified upside down because of his humility. (I’m pretty sure it was Saint Peter, anyway…).

Thank you so much for marching for life! I was at the basilica and we saw the television program that EWTN put up for it.

God bless you!
    KatorikuRant recently posted..Pro-Life!

60. KatorikuRant says:

Also, would like to add that we got some attention from the Washington Post, which selectively picked out photos that made us look like there were ten of us altogether.

Damn, I wonder if they do photographs for apartments, with that sort of distortion?
    KatorikuRant recently posted..Pro-Life!