The 7 Habits of People Who Place Radical Trust in God

iStock 000005657754XSmall The 7 Habits of People Who Place Radical Trust in GodI read a lot of biographies and memoirs about inspiring people who place radical trust in God. (By “radical” I don’t mean reckless or imprudent, but am referring to the difficult, very counter-cultural act of recognizing God’s sovereignty over every area of our lives. More on that here.) From He Leadeth Me to God’s Smuggler, Mother Angelica to The Heavenly Man to The Shadow of His Wings, these true stories are about people from all walks of the Christian life: Catholic and Protestant, consecrated religious and lay people, men and women. And yet they all have distinct similarities in their approaches to life and the Lord.

I found it fascinating to see what common threads could be found in the lives of these incredible people who place so much trust in the Lord, and thought I’d share in case others find it inspiring as well.

1. They accept suffering

One of the most powerful things I’ve read in recent memory is Brother Yun’s story of being a persecuted pastor in China, as recounted in the book The Heavenly Man. After facing weeks of torture, including electrocution, starvation, beatings, and having needles shoved under his fingernails, he was thrown in a box that was four feet long, three feet wide, and four feet high, where he would stay indefinitely. The day after he was put in this mini cell, he felt prompted to pray for a Bible — a ridiculous idea, considering that many people were in prison at that very moment for being in possession of such contraband. Yet he prayed anyway. And, inexplicably, the guards threw a Bible into his cell the next morning. He writes:

I knelt down and wept, thanking the Lord for this great gift. I could scarcely believe my dream had come true! No prisoner was ever allowed to have a Bible or any Christian literature, yet, strangely, God provided a Bible for me! Through this incident the Lord showed me that regardless of men’s evil plans for me, he had not forgotten me and was in control of my life.

Now, the less saintly among us (cough-cough) might have reacted to that a little differently. Had I been tortured and thrown in a coffin-like cell, my reaction to receiving a Bible would have likely been more along the lines of, “Thanks for the Bible, Lord, but could we SEE ABOUT GETTING ME OUT OF THIS METAL BOX FIRST?!?!” I wouldn’t have even “counted” the Bible as an answered prayer since my main prayer — reducing my physical suffering — had gone unanswered.

Yet what I see over and over again in people like Brother Yun is that they have crystal clarity on the fact that suffering is not the worst evil — sin is. Yes, they would prefer not to suffer, and do sometimes pray for the relief of suffering. But they prioritize it lower than the rest of us do — they focus far more on not sinning than on not suffering. They have a laser focus on getting themselves and others to heaven. In Brother Yun’s case, he saw through that answered prayer that God was allowing him to grow spiritually and minister to his captors, so his circumstances of suffering in an uncomfortable cell became almost irrelevant to him.

2. They accept the inevitability of death

Similar to the above, people who place great trust in God can only do so with a heaven-centered worldview. They think in terms of eternity, not in terms of calendar years. Their goal is not to maximize their time on earth, but rather to get themselves and as many other people as possible to heaven. And if God can best do that by shortening their lifespans, they accept that.

The Shadow of His Wings is filled with jaw-dropping stories of Fr. Goldmann’s miraculous escapes from death during World War II, which begs the question, “What about all the people who didn’t escape death?” Fr. Goldmann would probably respond by saying that God saving him from death was not the blessing in and of itself — after all, every single one of us will die eventually. The blessing was saving him from death so that he could continue his ministry bringing the Gospel to the Nazis. He eventually died while building a ministry in Japan, and presumably accepted that God would bring good from his passing, even though there was undoubtedly more work he wanted to do.

3. They have daily appointments with God

I have never heard of a person who had a deep, calm trust in the Lord who did not set aside time for focused prayer every day. Both in the books I’ve read and in real life, I’ve noticed that people like this always spend at least a few moments — and up to an hour or two if circumstances permit — focused on nothing but prayer, every day. Also, they tend to do it first thing in the morning, centering themselves in Christ before tackling anything else the day may bring.

4. In prayer, they listen more than they talk

I’ve written before about my amazement that really holy people seem to get their prayers answered more often than the rest of us. I’d heard enough stories of people praying for something very specific, then receiving it, that I started to wonder if they were psychic or God just liked them more than the rest of us or something. What I eventually realized is that their ideas about what to pray for came from the Holy Spirit in the first place, because they spent so much time seeking God’s will for them, day in and day out.

So, to use the example of a famous story from Mother Angelica’s biography, she had a satellite dish delivery man at the door who needed $600,000 or he was going to return the dish, thus killing all the plans for the new station. She ran to the chapel and prayed, and a guy she’d never met randomly called and wanted to donate $600,000. Her prayer wasn’t answered because she had a personal interest in television and just really, really wanted it, but because she had correctly discerned God’s plan that she was to start a television station on this particular day.

5. They limit distractions

Of all the amazing stories in God’s Smuggler, one of the lines that jumped out to me the most in the book was in the epilogue, when the authors talk about how Brother Andrew’s work has continued in 21st century:

“I won’t even consider installing one of those call waiting monstrosities,” he exclaimed, “that interrupt one phone conversation to announce another.” Technology, Andrew says, makes us far too accessible to the demands and pressures of the moment. “Our first priority should be listening in patience and silence for the voice of God.”

Far too accessible to the demands and pressures of the moment. That line has haunted me ever since I read it. I love technology, but it does come with a huge temptation to feel a general increase in urgency in our lives: I have to reply to that email! Respond to that comment on my wall on Facebook! Ret-tweet that tweet! Read that direct message! Listen to that voicemail! Here in the connected age, we are constantly bombarded with demands on our attention. Periods of silence, where we can cultivate inner stillness and wait for the promptings of the Holy Spirit, are increasingly rare.

One thing that all the people in these books have in common is that they had very little of this pressure of false urgency. It’s hard to imagine Fr. Ciszek coming up with the breathtaking insights about God’s will that he shared in He Leadeth Me with his iPhone buzzing alerts every few minutes, or Brother Yun seeing the subtle beauty of God’s plan in the midst of persecution while keeping his Twitter status updated on a minute-by-minute basis.

6. They submit their discernment to others

People who have a long history of watching the way the Lord works in their lives notice that he often speaks through holy friends, family members and clergy. If they discern that God is calling them to something, especially if it’s something big, they ask trusted Christian confidantes to pray about the matter and see if they discern the same thing. And when others warn them not to follow a certain path — especially if it’s a spouse, confessor or spiritual director — they take those indicators very seriously.

7. They offer the Lord their complete, unhesitating obedience

One of my favorite parts of God’s Smuggler is when Brother Andrew got a visit from a man named Karl de Graaf who was part of a prayer group in which people often spent hours of time in prayer, most of it listening in silence:

I went out to the front stoop, and there was Karl de Graaf. “Hello!” I said, surprised.

“Hello, Andy. Do you know how to drive?”

“Drive?”

“An automobile.”

“No,” I said, bewildered. “No, I don’t.”

“Because last night in our prayers we had a word from the Lord about you. It’s important for you to be able to drive.”

“Whatever on earth for?” I said. “I’ll never own a car, that’s for sure.”

“Andrew,” Mr. de Graaf spoke patiently, as to a slow-witted student, “I’m not arguing for the logic of the case. I’m just passing on the message.” And with that, he was striding across the bridge.

Despite his initial hesitation, Brother Andrew discerned that this was something that God was calling him to do, so he learned to drive. It seemed like a complete waste of time, an utterly illogical use of his resources, but he was obedient to the Lord’s call. I won’t spoil what happened next for those of you who plan to read the book, but let’s just say that shortly after he received his license, it turned out to be critical to the future of his ministry (which eventually brought the Gospel to thousands of people behind the Iron Curtain) that he know how to drive.

I often think of how Mr. de Graaf responded when Brother Andrew was scratching his head about this odd message: “That’s the excitement in obedience,” he said. “Finding out later what God had in mind.”

Obviously we can’t grow closer to God by aping the actions of others, but I find lists like this helpful as a starting point for reflection on my own spiritual progress. I hope you found it helpful as well!

81 Responses to “The 7 Habits of People Who Place Radical Trust in God”
  1. John Flynn says:

Jen you’ve inspired me to go back and read He Leadeth Me again! Great post!

2. Michelle says:

This is similar to something I did as part of my senior project. The title of my project is The Road to Sainthood, so for the preliminary research part of it I read a compilation of the lives of the saints, and then made a list of some of the most common characteristics that I found in their stories. It ended up being a pretty interesting list – and I agree, these types of things are very helpful in knowing where to begin as we take on the sometimes daunting task of becoming like Christ :) I’ll be posting my list, and reflections/videos/pictures from the other parts of my project on my blog as soon as it’s finished. I humbly (and shamelessly :)) encourage you to check it out!
    Michelle recently posted..We will not be silenced

• Nick Ruggiero says:

Hi Michelle,

I am interested in reading about your post, We will not be silenced.

God bless,
      Nick

3. more good books to read- thanks!

4. Great post. I read He Leadeth Me on your recommendation and loved it. I’ll add these others to my reading list as well.

#5 is such a great point and for me, can so quickly kill #3 and #4.

5. Laura says:

That line in “God’s Smuggler” about technology pretty much jumped off the page and smacked me across the face. Now granted, I haven’t done anything about it, but I did admire his insight and fortitude not to get sucked into all of this technology stuff! Great post!
    God Bless.
    Laura recently posted..A B See – G is for

6. Candace says:

I don’t know if I have commented before, but I am a regular reader and had to comment because I think this is probably my favorite post of yours ever! :) it is great!! In the past year I have read God’s Smuggler and Heavenly Man! Such phenomenal stories that build our faith!! Thanks for sharing!

7. Nina says:

One thing I tend to do is to ask WHY?, to over-analyze and to fixate on things intellectually, and to QUESTION God (and His determinations)…… which ultimately leads to anger at Him, essentially, and a spirit of rebellion. For me, I think this is the most destructive thing to my peace of heart. Yes, God does “choose” (allow) even things that appear bad to us—–and it totally confounds us. For His ways are not our ways, man does not think like God, we struggle with the idea that all things come from Him. Yes. Good reminders. Thanks again, Jen!

• Neil says:

@Nina,
      I went throught the same thing for almost twenty years. I has really strong faith in God up to my 20’s and always had my prayers answered, but then that wonderful desire to have a mate comes around and suddenly God doesn’t seem to be answereing that one. I allowed it to make me express the exact traits as you did and remained bitter and hard to God for so long that I allowed His blessings to pass. NOw I’m finally on the road of humility and trust and obedience once again and I must say how foolish and SELFISH I have been towards my God.

• Nick Ruggiero says:

Hello Nina,

I recently read Searching for and Maintaining Peace: A Small Treatise on Peace of Heart and I highly recommend it as it has helped me understand how to maintain peace in the turmoil of my life.

God bless!

8. Erika Ahern says:

Wonderful! Thanks for distilling this for me. And for the new reading suggestions! Amazon, here I come.

9. Joy says:

Really thought-provoking post. I’m reminded again to read some of these. Also, I was wondering if you’ve read One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp (maybe you mention it somewhere, and I just missed it/ forgot). But in regards to the post a few weeks back (maybe longer) about faith and trust and what’s reasonable or not, I found much in that book that would apply to the discussion. Plus, it’s a good read.
    Take care!
    Joy recently posted..My Not-So-Extreme Makeovers

10. Leila says:

…they have crystal clarity on the fact that suffering is not the worst evil — sin is.

This is the crux of it all! So clearly stated! Thank you!!
    Leila recently posted..Are feminists at war with their own biology

11. Thanks for this, Jen. :)
    Julie @ The Corner With A View recently posted..How fickle my heart and how woozy my eyes

12. Gina says:

Wow. That was so, SO powerful. Thank you, Jen.

13. Kimberlie says:

More great thoughts to ponder and integrate. I haven’t read any of these books and considering I have four children adopted from China and haven’t read Brother Yun’s book, embarrassing to say the least.

I read a really good quote today in Raniero Cantalamessa’s Sober Intoxication of the Spirit:
    “It is true that we should emphasize faith and the joy of the Resurrection to the extreme, but the balance does not lie in scaling back to moderate doses of self-denial and of the cross. This is an entirely human way of thinking. The balance comes only in carrying both to the extremes: fully accepting the cross in the depths of our souls so that we can fully accept the Resurrection in the depths of our souls.” (p. 71)

This is what the holy people mentioned above, and all saints, really get.
    Kimberlie recently posted..Lenten Wrap-Up

14. Emily D. says:

This is awesome!!! What a fantastic list! Definitely stuff to pray about here.
    Emily D. recently posted..Notes from the Triduum- Part III–Easter and a really awesome link

15. This is a very powerful post. Like Kimberlie, my oldest daughter is adopted from China, so I am eager to especially learn more about Brother Yan. Now, I am off to my local library website to see if any of these books are available. Thanks.
    Mary @ A Simple Twist of Faith recently posted..Why are you weeping

16. Maria says:

i first read God’s Smuggler when i was a teen, and i remember how much it inspired me in my faith. (it was also the time i read The Cross and the Switchblade). i think i need to find both of those and read them again.
    Maria recently posted..All is Good

17. Can I add one?

They understand that it’s all about God, and not about how to grow in spirituality. In other words, they are focused on serving. They don’t get caught up in gauging how much better they’re doing at being a Christian — they’re moving in a straight line from listening to doing, and ego doesn’t get in the way.
    Julia at LotsaLaundry recently posted..Black Ships under my feet

18. An addendum: I wish I were more like that!
    Julia at LotsaLaundry recently posted..Black Ships under my feet

19. Nicole C says:

I love this post. It seems so obvious, but I’ve never thought of most of these points so clearly! Great post!

20. Brittany says:

Brother Yun and his wife are dear friends of my family! I’m so happy to hear that you’ve read his book. He is no longer allowed in China but is praying that soon God will make a way for him to go back.
    Brittany recently posted..Do We Need to Grow Up

21. Lucinda says:

Thank you…whether this is your statement or a paraphrase “suffering is not the worst evil, sin is.” it really speaks to me today….along with the no two ways about it “need” for simply being quiet with the LORD.

22. Maureen says:

Thank you thank you thank you! Great post, Jen.

23. Pands says:

You don’t know how God answered a prayer/struggle I was having with myself. I have been going through some really life changing changes in my life. Lots of hurt and misunderstanding. I want to be the person God wants me to be. Before all trouble started I prayed that I would lose all my sons and husband if I was to be like Job and not fail to bless God thorough it all. I almost lost my husband and have been scared of losing him, so have been so afraid to pray for God’s total control of my life since. Thanks to your post I am not now. God used you to help me. Thank-you for letting God use you for my good. God is in control and will have the best for me in the long run.

God Bless

• Pat says:

Pands:
      I am very concerned to hear about your prayer. I am not surprised to hear that you have had problems since praying it. Although is is good to pray that the Lord will give us the strength to bless Him through whatever trials we have to face. It is NOT appropriate to pray that the Lord take away your sons and husband in order for you to gain an opportunity to test your strength. That would be considered a “curse”. We are told to bless and NOT curse.
      My suggestion to you would be to immediately repent of and renounce the “prayer/curse” you prayed, and ask the Lord that His sacrifice would cover this sin. Jesus took the curse upon himself, so we wouldn’t have to (Gal 3:13).
      Jesus Himself asked the Father: “if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not my will, but as You will” (Matt 26:39) Speaking of the coming sacrifice that He was about to make. Jesus is our ultimate example. We aren’t to seek out the pain and suffering. It will come of it’s own accord if we stand for Christ. Yes, it is a privilege to suffer for our faith, but to seek out more than what is already the Lords will is only helping the Evil one “The thief comes only to steal, kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full”(John 10:10).
      I also strongly suggest, after you pray, you do a search online for “Freedom in Christ Ministries” , and that you either speak to someone there or check out Neil Andersons books (he started the ministry). They can help a great deal to teach you how to pray appropriately concerning this kind of matter, in a God centered way.

• Kelly says:

Who are you to tell someone they have sinned? I think Christ would have been a bitter more compassionate about how he spoke to Panda- cleary she is in a tough spot. Be nice!!!

24. Denise says:

Great summary! Thank you for posting this. I’ve got to read some of those books, as absolute trust in God is a big issue for me.

25. Abd'Allah says:

sister, you are doing a great job – may God reward you for your efforts and search for truth – and thereby helping others to find the way.
    Abd’Allah recently posted..Who or What is God – an Islamic Perspective

26. Pamela says:

Great reflections. I find it funny how God sometimes puts these occasions into our lives Himself, probably knowing that we won’t do it ourselves. I do a lot of apologetics online, and like you say, there always feels like there’s a pressure to respond to this person, answer that post right away, come up with something clever to say!

I did that for years, then about two years ago I went through a very strange illness that I know recognize as atypical migraines. They limit my ability (and definitely my willingness) to spend time and think on debates, and while medication helps, they still come and go at random. But I find now that I am not so eager to jump into conversations, not so pressed to answer back right away, not so important to get the last word in.

And I find that if I mull on it, I can find reasons why it was probably good I not answer back right away (like it being Easter Sunday…), so I figure God knows what He’s doing. Sometimes He just has to hit us over the head with a hammer in order to get us to listen!

27. You have given me-all of us-much to contemplate. Often things I “know’ intellectually I fail to know with my heart.
    FullSpectrumMom recently posted..He is Alive and I love Him!

28. Suzanne says:

What a truly awesome post! Sharing!

29. Patrick says:

Nice post.

If you like these kinds of biographies, you will also love the Life of Fr Willie Doyle, an Irish Jesuit military chaplain and martyr of charity who died during the First World War. His story is really awe inspiring.

You can find the classic biography here:

and read an almost daily quote from here on this site:

30. I loved this post for a number of reasons. I, too, am fond of reading numerous biographies, memoirs, and such of people devoutly focused in doing the Lord’s Will. The Shadow of His Wings was a masterfully written book about what God does when you are willing to do anything and everything for him. Knowing how amazing his story was, I’m very interested in reading the other books you’ve mentioned in this post, as they sound to be equally intriguing.

I am glad you pointed out that the7 Habits of People Who Place Radical Trust in God include accepting suffering. Far too often in life, I’ve done the same thing you speak of, been so focused and upset about one prayer, though significant it may be, not being answered, that I forget about the many blessings God’s showered upon me during that time of suffering. I’d be so busy screaming to get out of the tiny box that my attitude wouldn’t change if I was hit over the head with a Bible to read in my stuffy, solitary confinement.

This is a great list of seven highly effective traits and habits of holy people that can be used to describe a great number of saints and modern-day holy men and women. One name that came to mind that I know would no doubt resonate very deeply with you and be a perfect addition to this post and must-reads list is Road of Hope: A Gospel from Prison by Cardinal Francis Xavier Nguyen Van Thuan.

God bless and thanks for putting these key elements together and outlining how others have served and glorified the Lord by following them.
    Trisha Niermeyer Potter recently posted..Lazarus Awakening- Finding Your Place in the Heart of God

31. Carrie says:

Thank you Jennifer for all the work you do on this blog. You really do inspire me. I am really struggling right now with trusting God and needed to read something like this. I also have been relying on you lately for awesome book recommendations!

32. Amanda says:

Thank you for this post and for the book recommendations! I recently “stumbled” across your blog and have been encouraged many times by your thoughts.

33. Amanda Rose says:

Great inspiration and perfect timing for me to be reminded to continue to have that “radical ” trust in God.

34. I thank you for a beautiful article! I passed it on to Facebook for others to read. God bless you!
    Reverend Doctor Victoria A. Howard recently posted..Anchorites and Hermits- Similarities and Differences

35. Marji says:

Thanks for a great post! You’ve done a wonderful job of crystallizing the themes found in the books you mention.
    May I also recommend Open Door Daily Devotionals (Brother Andrews’ Organization)- “Standing Strong Through the Storm”. I’ve found that they really reinforce these same inspirational messages for me.

36. Cheryl says:

What a tremendously thought-provoking post! I will be printing this for further review and reflection, and forwarding it to the special people in my life.

However, a note connected to your #3–that people like this tend to pray first thing in the morning–has me pondering. Does this mean that morning people have an advantage in growing holy? As I’m not a morning person, I’m sensing some divine discrimination! :-)

37. Very enlightening post :) The books you mentioned are really interesting and may they reach many people and be an instrument in reinforcing their faith.

38. Sarah says:

Jen, this is exactly what I needed to hear! (I also turned on EWTN today randomly and got a discussion about trusting God. I’m wondering if there’s some message I should be getting here.)
    Sarah recently posted..On Being Catholic

39. Dina says:

The first part about suffering hits so close to home even now as I often pause while in prayer with my children. Do I want to be a mother who models a “give me this, I want that, rescue me from all” mantra in prayer or do I want to be a mother who, in prayer, models a complete surrender to what God allows in my life that it might work a deeper faith and contentment in His will more than in my circumstances? Great new books for me to dig into, too!

40. Gotroot says:

It works for any of the thousands of gods you want to pray to.

41. Andrea says:

You say that they limit distractions. Is it also true that they do not have four young children?

42. Hamilton says:

You guys are dumb.

This is how we got here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pair_production

43. I hate to be a Negative Nelly but hopefully, in the spirit of #6, you won’t mind.

When I first skimmed this post, I had to reread it a couple of times to make sure this wasn’t written as parody.

Although each of the 7 points were written as if they were all positive habits, most, if not all, seem quite negative to me:

1. Acceptance of suffering? All progress and, I would argue, the very nature of humanity (and perhaps life itself) is about NOT accepting suffering. Suffering is not a thing to be endured but avoided or at least reduced. Of course, it is up to one to accept suffering of his or her self, but it is unfortunately too easy for human beings to move from acceptance of self-suffering to acceptance of other-suffering.

2. As above.

3. Granted.

4. Prayer, when actually looked at objectively by an outside observer, does not increase desired outcomes, beyond expected random and placebo effects. However, I’m not sure how listening in prayer is related to communicating and receiving through prayer.

5. This falls prey to the common mistake of seeing technology as only the “gadgets” that are new to US. Does an elderly person’s cane produce false urgency? How about farming? Democracy? Scissors? A bicycle? These are all “technologies”, but are as mundane to us now as MP3 players, iPads, and yes, even call waiting will eventually be.

6. Unfortunately the habit of asking the opinions of others tends to be, as mentioned above, limited to those who are identified as having very similar beliefs and thought patterns. They are “others” in the narrowest sense of the word.

7. Obedience would be great if that which is to be obeyed is eternally trustworthy and perfectly understood. Obedience because horrifying dangerous when given to the untrustworthy, the difficult to comprehend (and therefore to obey), and, worst of all, non-existent. Would you think of me as a good father if I told you I obeyed Zeus loyally? (The best example of all three, I think you would agree.)

I apologize for the length of my comment. Hopefully you’ll read it and respond (I checked “Notify me of followup comments via e-mail”.)
    Matthew Thomas recently posted..We get no respect- no respect at all

44. Patt says:

Excellent commentary–my family liked hearing this. Sent the article to an aged relative who has moaned and groaned since we met 45 years ago ( unhappy person).
    I have read most of the books you listed and you are on target. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
    God bless you.

45. “I hope you found it helpful as well!”

Indeed it is. Trusting God means obeying Him as well as to learn how to listen to Him in variety of circumstances. Thanks for this inspiring post, eh.

46. Sherri Kline says:

Knowing how amazing his story was, I’m very interested in reading the other books you’ve mentioned in this post, as they sound to be equally intriguing. Democracy?
    Sherri Kline recently posted..Many Cures

47. Ameralda says:

I only recently started reading this blog, but I must admit this is the best post I’ve ever read in the history of blogging :). Rings of St. John Climacus-type guidance, which is so hard to find!

Also–what a book list to get me started! Though most of these are “classics,” I’m waaay behind on my reading!

48. JL says:

Great post. Thanks!

49. Kate says:

Wow!! I am not a Catholic but I am a Christian and I find your beautiful posts inspiring, particularly this one. The traits you have mentioned are ones that I am keenly aware of and now its time for me to start asking God to cultivate them in me! Thanks for the nudge. : )
    Kate recently posted..Sunday Dinner

50. Dannie says:

I loved this post so much. I have been struggling with making time to spend in prayer with the Lord. I usually feel overwhelmed with all that goes on in my life. Today the Holy Spirit led me to Hebrews 12:1-4 (NLT version) and then to this post on your blog. I have decided to not make excuses anymore because I actually don’t have any excuse.

51. flordelisa says:

Thank you so much for sharing! It is truly moving inspiring stories how Faith and Trust in God can move human being to do extraordinary and marvelous courageous deeds! Msy God bless you too abundantly more wisdom to share God’s word and love to others :-)

52. Ron Bailey says:

So glad I ‘stumbled’ upon your blog. Just what I needed to read right now. God’s timing is perfect!

53. Beat Bisangwa says:

I was studying to teach on “trusting God even when it doesn’t make sense” and I stumbled on this article! I had read many others but this is it!!!! I needed exactly this. It is Spirit inspired and I need similar or related devotions if there are any! It is awesome and it is my area of specialisation in discipleship – helping people understand the trustworthiness of God even when it seems that He isn’t, due to our circumstances that seem contradictory to faith-expectations.

54. Teresa G says:

This is a truly fantastic article. Great observations!

55. Rgwest says:

Thank you so much for taking your time compiling this list. I have also gained some excellent reading material from this. Brother Andrew was one of my childhood heroes. Likewise, as I suggest, Josef Korbel was also one of my childhood heroes. I highly suggest his book “in my enemy’s camp”.

56. jujubee6 says:

I came across this when I googled “trusting God stories.” I’ve believed for a long time, but only recently did it come to my attention I had trust issues….not because of Him, He just sort of ended up being included. So right now, becuase He said not to, I’m not doing something that is very normal for me and I”m hugely out of my comfort zone. On the other hand, I can’t say it worked very well doing it MY way.

And then I had this totally DUH revelation: Why am I having trouble trusting the one being that is more trustworthy than any other being there is?

So I”m kind of scared….but I”m not, if that makes sense. Or maybe it’s vice versa. Anyway, I’ve made the decision to trust 100%. But I have to do it. My way hasn’t worked, and if I mess it up, I’m done.

57. Aline Lloyd says:

I recently “stumbled” across your blog and have been encouraged many times by your thoughts. But I have to do it. So I”m kind of scared….but I”m not, if that makes sense. What a tremendously thought-provoking post!
    Aline Lloyd recently posted..Heather Penko

58. Erin says:

Jennifer, thank you so much for writing this! I totally agree with this all and I am aspiring to make these my habits also!

59. Lyndsay says:

Thank you. Very much needed inspiration/hope :)

60. Erin Hindes says:

Thank you for this inspiring and thoughtprovoking artial. Unless we learn to trust and rely on God and His infinite love and grace we are not truly enjoying the life He wants us to experience.

61. Kamaro says:

Thank you for the post, it helped me to reflect on my Christian life.

62. Rev. Dan says:

Have gotten a very beautiful angle on the subject I love so much, trusting in God.

63. Please remember me in your prayers, I need for God to direct and guide me to be a great success in Life. God help me please.

64. FRANK CHANCE says:

Today is the day the lord as made, just this morning my wife and and i wook up and did not start the day as we would have like to. so went over to my computer room and googled a day of hope. I clicked on this past and never look back since. I was once one of those people who speak less, and spoke to me softly, but let go his hand and i i fell back. It no to late he promise to be with me until the end of time. After reading the seven steps i can fell God holding my hands again. Amen

65. inkymk says:

Thank you so much for this well-researched, inspiring article. I posted it on Facebook to encourage believers and enlighten non-believers. Total trust in God… what a wonderful way of life! God help me to live it.

66. Sheri says:

Terrific post. It was just what I was looking for.

67. Charles Vise says:

Very helpful indeed! I have felt and heard God whispering to my heart, “Trust God!”, yet I was at a loss as to how to actually trust Him. Now I see a bit more clearly…

68. Neomi says:

I was at a place where I was sad, angry and disillusioned. Wanting desperately to trust God and not being able to, because of years of sexual assault from different men. I thought i was over it. Learned how to live life by brushing everything under the carpet, never dealing with it but never trusting anyone again. I am now at a crossroad where I HAVE to TRUST God for something very major. Its do or die at this moment and I didnt know what to do. As i read this article, my heart began to soften and tears started flowing down my face. I felt God all around me. It’s a miracle, you’ve changed my day. I will need to get that book you reference and read it. Praise God for His amazing ways. And Thank you!
    Neomi recently posted..7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 230)

69. Anne says:

So thrilled I stumbled onto this page – thank you very much fpr taking the time to research these books and compile this list. Excellent resource for reflection. I particularly love the point on obedience – I certainly need to do more obeying!

70. Therese says:

As a missionary the last 4 years, these steps are the map to how I had to live life. Thanks for this affirmation that even though circumstances are frequently not clear-cut, the right steps have been taken…

71. jan says:

My brother passed a week ago of pancreatic cancer. He shared with his sisters his faith and brought us to empower it. During this painful time for me I asked him how he could stand this…his reply was “it is a privelege”. I could not believe what he was saying. I asked what he meant and he said “to suffer so my family won’t have to is an honor”. He was a chosen one for sure.

The books He Leadeth Me and God’s Smuggler are now on my list.

72. bhaskar says:

Bible cannot buy people of other faith other than with money.

73. Paul says:

You forgot one. Take away rights of equality from others.