On Saturday night at around 2:18 AM, I sent the final draft of the book to my agent. Even though there are many more steps to go in the process, I have a feeling that I might finally be out of the Sisyphean Wheel of Book Writing, and that at least there will be forward progress from here. (Though I’ve been mistaken before. If at any point you see a post pop up titled PLEASE KILL ME NOW, you’ll know I was wrong.)

I wanted to invite each one of you over to share a glass of champagne with me, but since I didn’t think you’d appreciate getting a call in the middle of the night where the person on the other line begins by saying, “Hi. I’m Jen. You read my blog. I Googled your name and found your number…” I took a screenshot instead.

sending draft screenshot2 Since youve put up with so much of my whining, I wanted to share this moment with you

Also, in a moment I will remember all my life, I was finishing up the last of the my husband’s major edits on Friday when I happened to check New Advent. There was a link there to a site where you could track the Pope’s flight to Mexico in real time. I clicked on it, and my thought process was something like:

Oh, cool, the Pope is over the south central United States right now…over Texas, actually…central Texas…[zooming in more]…OH MY GOSH THE POPE’S PLANE IS RIGHT OVER MY HOUSE RIGHT NOW!!!

I rushed outside. There was only one plane in that part of the sky, headed in exactly the right direction, exactly where the map said it would be. It was so weird to think that Benedict XVI, the Pope, the successor of Peter, the man who was so influential in my conversion was here in my area; that if he looked down, one of the dots he saw below would be my house.

And in a moment that shows you just how much I need a break from this writing process, I thought: If I’m ever audacious enough to write a memoir about writing a memoir, I just got an AWESOME closing scene.

21 Responses to “Since you’ve put up with so much of my whining, I wanted to share this moment with you”
  1. That *is* a great scene! And congratulations on hitting “send”!
    Kathleen Basi recently posted..The Determination of Dandelions

2. Fabulous, Jen! I don’t comment often, but I’ve been wildly cheering you on behind the scenes, and I’m very excited the draft is off to your agent. That’s so cool about the Pope’s plane, too. :) Enjoy the champagne!!
    Elisa | blissfulE recently posted..sister-throne

3. Diapeepees says:

What are the odds of that? The pontiff plane overhead…maybe the HS was trying to tell you something…And, I must say, I appreciate your honesty every time. If it was me, I would never tell an editor I would be obsessively checking emails — and I’m sure I would be even more obsessive about it than you.
    Diapeepees recently posted..Why Spaghetti Dinners Don’t Work in Lent

4. boomama says:

Congratulations to you! And listen – that whole Pope-flying-over-your-house thing? I’m thinking that God lined that one up especially for you :-)
    boomama recently posted..Spring Has Sprung And Music Is Good (A Spontaneous Giveaway)

5. HUZZAH!

and I pray that the editor makes only a few comma changes!
    priest’s wife (@byzcathwife) recently posted..Artificial Contraception, Why Not? NFP, Why? A Guest Post from Bear

6. You totally saw the pope’s plane! That’s almost like seeing the pope. You should just tell people you saw the pope….
    Kaitlin @ More Like Mary recently posted..Hannah Loves Our Lady

7. Angie says:

Congratulations! I know (from friends) that it’s not all flowers and unicorns from this point on, but savor the moment – you’ve worked hard for it!
    Angie recently posted..Pork Medallions with Capers and Cream

8. Jen G says:

Congratulations, Jen!! I really can’t wait to read it.

9. Christina says:

Hey, why not slip it into the end of your memoir when the editor sends it back for the two typos that need to be fixed?

Congrats on getting it sent in!

10. Liesl says:

No, you should write a memoir of your memoir and close with that scene… it would be EPIC!!!!! I can’t even imagine how cool that would be to know that Papa Benny is flying over your house. Sometimes the Pres flies over my car when I’m driving in DC but it’s just not as cool…
    Liesl recently posted..Men, Aspire to be Worthy!

11. Mark S. says:

CONGRATULATIONS!

12. Fernando says:

Congratulations, you did a great job.
    Fernando recently posted..All About Tattoo Removal Surgery

13. Becky says:

That is so cool you saw the pope’s plane! I am so jealous! In a nice Christian way, of course.

Congratulations on finishing your book! I can’t wait to read it!
    Becky recently posted..Max’s greatest gift

14. Congrats Jen! It’s as if you just gave birth to your 6th baby (or would you consider yourself in transition?)!

15. Congrats, Jen! I can’t wait to read it!
    Mary @ St Henry II recently posted..7 Quick Takes Friday – Other People’s Stuff

16. Clara says:

Congratulations! I’m looking forward to reading your published book. And that is so cool about seeing the Pope’s plane fly overhead! :)

17. TRS says:

That’s a very cool ending!
    Congrats on getting the book to your editor. I have a mental list of people to send it to when it’s published. Cheering for you all this time!
    TRS recently posted..There Is No Pleasing Me

18. How cool is that? Thanks for sharing. I’m kind of jealous now!
    Jenna@CallHerHappy recently posted..We Went to the Zoo, Zoo, Zoo

19. ceciliamaria says:

Congratulations!!! And I hope you waved like a madwoman to get the Pope’s attention!

For the record, I never turn down an opportunity to raise a glass… Just say the word and I’ll toast to your success!!! :)
    ceciliamaria recently posted..tell me when it’s over!

20. Marian says:

You don’t have to write a memoir about writing a memoir; you’re still living your story, right? And that scene had an awesome closing!

Congratulations!

21. Pat J says:

I’m lifting a glass of chardonnay in your honor. Congrats girl! It’s an answered prayer.