Life on the Rock

I’m going to be screaming and banging my head into a wall working on book edits this week, so instead of a post, how about a video of me on Life on the Rock last week? I really enjoyed chatting with Fr. Mark and Doug. It was an honor to be part of the show. Hope you enjoy it!

Also: Thanks to Chelsea Zimmerman for finding the link for me! By the way, if you’re not currently reading her blog, Reflections of a Paralytic, you really should. She’s one of the most insightful, interesting young writers out there today.

30 Responses to “Life on the Rock”
  1. Jenny says:

What a small world! Here you are with Doug Barry! I was a volunteer with Radix when I was in HS (he is from Lincoln, NE).

2. Carol says:

I saw you last Thursday night, Jen. You were great, as effective as in front of the camera as you are typing away on your computer!

3. Kimberlie says:

So glad you posted the link because we do not have cable in our house. I can’t wait to watch it when the kids go to bed tonight, which should have been 15 minutes ago but they are still bouncing off the walls.

Kimberlie recently posted..Interior Freedom – My Thoughts

4. Raymond says:

Great interview with the guys. I am a convert 2009.

5. Thanks for the link. Watching it now. You are even more engaging live and in person.
    Charlotte (Matilda) recently posted..Good Shepherd’s Garden Party ~ Week Two

6. Patrick says:

You were great on LOTR. Very well spoken I look forward to reading your blogs in the future.

7. Thank you all for the kind words! Really appreciate it!

8. Fun to see an interview in person. I think what you said about love, not always heady theology, converting people (atheists) is very true. It’s so great to see Catholic women showing the world what it means to be authentically Catholic (and still have fun doing it).

9. Erin says:

Jennifer,
    I so enjoyed watching this! I find the issue of contraception to be the line in the sand between myself and non-Catholic Christians. It’s difficult to articulate if and how it relates to other issues. I hadn’t heard you explain it in this way before (in regards to gay marriage and abortion) and feel like I just had an “ah hah” moment. Still, I struggle with when it is appropriate to tell other women about my choice. Some of my friends know I’ve switched to NFP, but I’m never asked why. How do we as Catholics humbly approach this topic?

• Amy says:

I’ve had the same problem. I’m a recent Catholic convert but still run in many of my protestant circles (my hubby is still protestant). We’ve used NFP our entire marriage and my friends are aware of it. However, that still does not keep them from bragging about their own or their husbands latest vasectomy/tubal or commenting about how happy they are that they are “done” with having children. These are god fearing, Christ following, daily devotional bible reading women! It is very hard to know how or when to respond especially since they’re not asking my opinion but stating facts. Sometimes I feel like if they think it’s appropriate to speak of their husband’s surgery I should feel ok about bringing up why I use NFP, but unfortunately I’m usually caught off guard and end up not saying anything. Sigh…

• if your friend is ‘green’- emphasize the natural, non-chemical aspect of NFP

the website iusenfp is almost up- look for more ideas there!
      priest’s wife (@byzcathwife) recently posted..QuickPeeves- some silly, some serious

• Great question, Erin. I’ll try to address this in a post soon. Thanks for asking!

10. Sue says:

OK, I know that I should comment on the great content, but I just have to say that you looked so cute and natural – you didn’t look a bit nervous! You have such a radiant smile.

I found myself wishing that I could have a chat with you in real life, over coffee. :o)
    Sue recently posted..{pretty, happy, funny, real} – Spring Has Sprung Version

11. Jackie says:

I loved the video ! Thanks for sharing it . You had some very interesting conversations with Fr. Mark and I enjoyed listening to you.

12. Aaron Lee says:

I listened to it through my EWTN podcast last night! God bless you.
    Aaron Lee recently posted..False Love found in Loneliness

13. kk says:

Great interview, Jennifer!
    The atheist professor you are referring to is certainly Peter Singer over at Princeton. Even he contradicted his own cruel philosophies and continued to take care of his mother suffering from alzheimer’s.

14. Mary says:

A great interview! You clearly stated the problems with our culture regarding contraception, woman and men as idols, and the case for marriage. So many could learn from this talk. You seemed so comfortable and at ease.

15. Eva says:

So, I take it that a video of you screaming and banging your head against a wall is out of the question?
    ;)

Eva
    Eva recently posted..Nobody is lonelier than an atheist.

16. Jessica says:

You did a wonderful job – and I certainly did not see the “socially awkward” woman that you claim to be! ;-D

17. Of course folks at tu don’t know it’s a scripture verse, it’s Sodom!

18. I’m so glad I finally had…well TOOK the time to watch this. Baby ought to be napping, house is a mess, but it was so worth it! Thank you for everything you do, Jen. You’re such an inspiration.
    Dwija {House Unseen} recently posted..10 Books to Read with your Kids

19. Kimberlie says:

I just finished watching the program and I really enjoyed it. I especially enjoyed your view on your vocation as a mother. It’s funny because sometimes I do have the whole “well, once so-and-so child gets to this point in school, I’ll go back to work and have fun.” However, when I honestly look back at my working days, they weren’t fun. I didn’t have that exact same moment as you because I wasn’t necessarily in my dream job yet, but I did see how money and kuddos were not really contributing to my happiness, but going home and making dinner for my husband and doing his laundry did. It’s tough not to fall into that secular mentality of wanting accolades when you are a SAHM and no one is saying, “Wow Mom! I think the way you did the laundry today was really innovative, and that dinner was absolutely delicious. Thank you!” It’s hard when all you hear from kids are complaints, grumpiness at being asked to pick up their things, and cries of “why do we have to be so poor (just a note: we are NOT)? So-and-so gets to have everything he/she wants.” It’s demoralizing some days. I need to keep in mind what I truly believe and that is God called me to be the mother of these children and it’s my first priority after loving and serving Him.
    Kimberlie recently posted..Interior Freedom – My Thoughts

20. Joselyn says:

What a great interview! I’ve posted it up on facebook. You’re gift as a speaker is so needed to turn on the lightswitch on the secular world! You make Jesus proud! God bless you, your family and all that you do for Christ!!!!

21. Caitlin says:

Great job! I think you were so right on with the contraception portion. Also, you have my dream hair. :)
    Caitlin recently posted..Mary’s House in Ephesus

22. Lisa says:

I have been thinking a lot about a comment you made on this show about working at something that helps you to “light up” (probably bad paraphrasing) as your vocation. In just a few days of paying attention to what exactly brings out my joy, I have clarity like I have never had, and I am finding work decisions much easier to make, using this as a barometer.

Once again, Jen…thanks for the hand up.

23. Judy Dudich says:

Father Mark served at our former parish when he was a seminarian at Mt. Saint Mary’s in Maryland! I LOVE to see him on EWTN. He was at my son’s baptism!
    Judy Dudich recently posted..Apr 19, Book Clubs for Women

24. Judy Dudich says:

Had the opportunity to watch this with my morning coffee,today, and just wanted to say how VERY much I enjoyed it. You glow with the joy and love of Christ, Jennifer Fulwiler. And, I think it’s so cute how Fr. Mark hangs out online reading Catholic Mommy Blogs. I remember, as he knelt behind me at my son’s baptism (and we only had 7 at the time), he just kept counting our kids and saying, “Wow, that’s a LOT of kids”. Now…all these years later…he GETS it. Thanks for sharing this with us!

25. Faith says:

I loved this! Thanks for not pulling any punches on the issues, and speaking the truth in love. Also, I enjoyed Fr. Mark obviously glowing in your bloggy greatness- the appreciation he showed for your work was touching.

26. Rachel says:

Thanks for this interview! We really enjoyed it! I especially appreciated your insight on “charisms” — and your thoughts on the subject have served to confirm a little something I’ve been thinking about for a long time, and will probably now require that I bravely pursue using my charism in a radical way. (Something that was also confirmed by your recent post on Mother Angelica.) Thanks for all you do!