An interview with a small, fuzzy woman who looks like me

I’m only, oh, six weeks late on this, but I keep meaning to direct you to this webcam interview I did with blogger extraordinaire Brandon Vogt. It’s a 10-minute discussion in which we talked about evangelizing to nonbelievers, how to get traffic to your blog, how I find time to write, and the top three books that changed my life. And you can see it all right here!

Now, it’s bad blogging etiquette that I am posting the video here rather than directing everyone to the link where Brandon posted it on his own site, but I am in great need of an easy update this week, and desperate times call for ripping off other people’s content and making your own post about it. So you have to promise me that you’ll go check out his blog and subscribe to his RSS feed right now to make it up to him. You won’t be sorry: Brandon is one of the most insightful, energetic voices out there, and has a ton of interesting things to say. You’ll love his site. And I’m not just saying that because he invited me to write for his super-popular book and I’m “borrowing” his video.

On another note: I barely recognize the woman in that video.

For one thing, I look small. And fuzzy. One thing we did not discuss in our interview is how Brandon managed to look normal and clear, while I look like a redheaded hobbit, broadcasting from a distant planet where the webcam signal can’t quite reach planet Earth. Maybe we’ll hit that next time.

I seem startlingly energetic too. Where did all that go? Anyway, in the interest of full disclosure, me right now is much less like me in that video, and more like Henri the Existential Cat:

In the interview with Brandon, I laughed out loud at the part where he asked me how I have time to write, and I said confidently — as if this is just second nature of put-together people such as myself — that I simply get up early. Yes! You know, so that I can do a lot of work! In the morning! And be on top of the day! Did you hear that, internets? You just have to GET UP EARLY — LIKE I DO.

Ah-hem.

This interview was recorded back in my “six for six” phase when I was actually getting up around sunrise all the time, so I guess I thought that this might become a lifelong habit and was momentarily feeling proud of myself about that. Long story short, when a friend asked me what I was working on these days, I explained that my big goal for the summer is to see how late I can sleep, each day trying to top the morning before. The other day all five kids (or at least the ones little enough to be unable to feed themselves breakfast) slept until 9:40, but I feel certain that we can top that. 9:45 FOR THE WIN!

Oh, speaking of ennui: I’m still finishing up some book edits, and will probably be at it for another 10 days or so, but after that I should be back to something that looks like regular blogging. I very much look forward to that, for a lot of different reasons.

See you Friday!

15 Responses to “An interview with a small, fuzzy woman who looks like me”
  1. This was a great way to start my day.
    First, your interview and yes you do seem to be a wee bit smaller than Brandon, but you’re still better looking. Then I jumped to Brandon’s site with another great article which led me to Leah’s site and learn of her conversion. It appears that the Holy Spirit was talking to you this morning.
    Thank you.
    Paul Forgette recently posted..My Slow Takes (vol. 53)

2. Leila says:

Good interview, fun, wondering how you know where to look while doing that. I feel like when I’m skyping I tend to look at the thumbnail of myself while hating that I do that, as it must appear singularly narcissistic. And is.

Love those chat videos — they are truly hilarious. Cats + French. Awesome!
    Leila recently posted..{pretty, happy, funny, real}

3. Becky says:

Woops, I thought you guys were in the same room.(Those rooms were in are pretty similar looking.) I was wondering why Brandon kept looking ahead instead of looking straight at you! Anyway, this explains why you look so small.

Other than that, I think the interview was great!
    Becky recently posted..Dominic, alive and doing well–UPDATED

4. Becky says:

Wow, talk about major typos! I meant to say, “Those rooms are pretty similar looking!” I get distracted when I’m online.
    Becky recently posted..Dominic, alive and doing well–UPDATED

5. Matt says:

That existential cat was so, so funny – a regular feline Sartre. I did indeed laugh until tears came. And I needed it – thank you!

6. Andrea says:

You look fine! Too much introspection gets in the way of my learning and enjoyment of the blog.

7. I keep hearing of this Brandon fella. :) I need to check out his site! How funny that you look smaller than real life. I suppose that’s better than the alternative? lol.
    Christina @ The Recovered Catholic recently posted..Look who has sanctifying grace!

8. Dave says:

Not only are you small and fuzzy, but you also sound like you’re in a closet. Fits with your “broadcasting from a distant planet” metaphor.

9. Brittany says:

Your Steven Pressfield recommendation was one that I picked up last year and have loved. I might just have to check out your other two favorites.

I’m pretty sure you’ve already figured this out but… an upgrade on your webcam might help diminish the pixel fuzz in your future home-based video interviews. Regardless, you look great (at least fuzz doesn’t cloud reality in that area).
    Brittany recently posted..Still a Virgin?

10. Caitlin says:

Nothing deep to say, but I can’t even describe my jealousy that you are able to sleep so late!!! My 8 month old is my alarm clock and thusly I get up between 6:30 and 7am. It’s really not too bad, but it’s about 6 hours earlier than I would drag myself out of bed in college. :) How things change!
    Caitlin recently posted..I’m Back!

11. Cate says:

I’m so glad that you shared your writing advice! Having gone from “mama of one” to a “mama of two” in April, I’m still learning the ropes of this balancing act. That you find time to write with a houseful of five little ones gives me hope! Looking forward to checking out your book recommendations; I’m always looking for my next good read!

12. Amanda says:

thanks for posting the video, and the cat is hilarious too :)

I wish I could sleep in during the summer, but it’s just too hot and sunny. I take the winter hibernation approach to things and pray each night that my kids will sleep just a little later the next morning. 9:40am is seriously impressive though for a house full of littles! You must have black-out curtains…or benadryl as a part of your bedtime routine ;)
    Amanda recently posted..Announcement

13. gwen says:

“How Catholics should respond to, engage and love these [Atheist] people” “THESE” people? Nothing could sound more distanced and condescending; newsflash! atheists are human beings too, made of flesh and blood. Next time I have to mingle with Catholics to refer to them in conversation, I’ll be sure to refer to them as “those people”

-gwen

• Brandon Vogt says:

Gwen,

Sorry if it sounded condescending; that certainly wasn’t my intent. I totally agree that everyone–Catholics and atheists alike–are human being made of flesh and blood and have inherent dignity.

But in defense of grammar, “these” and “those” are simply used to delineate between two groups. Since Jen and I are both Catholic and atheists are not, it’s not offensive to refer to atheists as “them” or “those.” It’s just a function of right grammar.

If you and and an atheist friend were talking about Catholics, and described us as “them” or “those,” I wouldn’t be offended.

But I’ll try to me more careful in the future. Thanks for the heads up!
      Brandon Vogt recently posted..Weekly Giveaway (6/22)

14. Pam says:

How is it that even though I get up well before sunrise (5:00 or 5:30) I still don’t get a fraction of the things done I need to do? :o(