Litany

For all those who are not in great moods today, and/or are mildly exhausted from staying up too late and yelling at the television (cough-cough), here’s a treat for you:

This song makes me so happy. I don’t think I’ve ever listened to it without at least letting a small smile slip. It’s a version of the Litany of Saints┬áby Matt Maher, and you can find it on iTunes.

It also makes me excited that I’m about to spend a week at a monastery. As I was saying over at the Register, there’s nothing like hanging out within the walls of a 1,500-year-old Order that’s part of a 2,000-year-old Church to put things in perspective. And seeing all those icons in the video makes me look forward all the more to see my cousin the iconographer monk. (If you’re not familiar with icons, check out this short post about their history and their place in the Church.)

Back to packing and running around like crazy to get ready for this trip. See you Friday! (Or, if you’re coming to the Frassati Conference, I’ll see you Saturday — literally!)

25 Responses to “Litany”
  1. melody says:

This made me weep. I did laugh after I recalled that it made you smile and here I am in a puddle. But as smiles and laughter have a cathartic value… today, I just really needed the healing tears. Just really needed to weep cradled in the arms of the saints. I don’t think I knew how badly I needed it at this moment. And can I just say that I feel the grace of God washing over his people today. Come what may, he has made us promises that He will keep. And we are loved beyond any comprehension. His mercy is an ocean. Thank you so much for posting this. It was a gift… I would like to download it into my soul.
    melody recently posted..He Asked Me to Paint Him Something Beautiful…

2. Christina says:

I adore this song. It reminds me of the night my husband was Confirmed, a night of such peace and joy. Stark contrast to today – which is exactly what I needed. :)

3. Allison says:

Long time reader (and forcer of teens to read various articles of yours!), first time commenter. Thank you for the peaceful reminder.
    Warmly,
    Allison
    Allison recently posted..Breastfeeding a Baby with CF

4. Jessica says:

what a beautiful arrangment! listening to it was like seeing an old friend again…thanks for sharing! had me in tears as well!

5. Lisa Schmidt says:

Beautiful. What a nice time-out. Thank you for passing this along. Pat Madrid sent me by way of his shout-out of this post on Right Here, Right Now. He told us to say that, but I would’ve come on my own eventually, so he really shouldn’t get all the credit.

Re: your upcoming getaway — my husband and I (and our kids) have the privilege of spending one weekend/month at a benedictine abbey. He and I were just chatting today, in light of the election results, about what a blessing this has been and will continue to be for us. I certainly had an uncharacteristically strong peace about me last night and still today. I credit much of this to those happy monks at Conception Abbey (rural rollin’ hill SW Missouri) who have provided a much needed boost in my faith journey.

Traveling mercies…
    Lisa Schmidt recently posted..The Day I Locked My Keys and Baby in the Car

6. Nicole says:

Thank you! Needed to hear and see this to calm down and soften the heart.
    Nicole recently posted..She is here….

7. MemeGRL says:

I’m so sad that you are so sad. Thanks for the beautiful musical interlude in my day.

8. Bonnie says:

I wept last night, I wept today. I have been crying on and off all day. I am sorrowful. This is a beautiful video, but it did not take away the ache in my heart. I know Our Lord will lead and guide us. Today it is all the more apparent to me how far short I fall in trust of Him. May all the angels and saints pray for us.

9. Paula says:

I loved this… so beautiful and so needed today. Thank you for sharing.
    Paula recently posted..Halloween

10. Very nice. That brought a nice respite of peace in what has certainly been 24 hours of chaos.

Thanks Jen, and enjoy the monastery!

11. Larissa says:

One of the things I love about your blog is that it isn’t divisive and it reminds us of the important things. This was beautiful and emotional and as I am definitely tired, I needed that.

That being said, I just wanted to point out that some of us may not be sad today and the word ‘all’ in your first sentence kind of implies that we should be!

12. Considerer says:

I quite liked the song – find this *far* more peace-inducing though. Hope you all feel more positive soon; I’m far away from all this but the ripples sure reach across the Pond

Considerer recently posted..Inspiring

13. Fanoffoucauld says:

Thank you for this. We will include th litany during prayer. God bless you and safe travels.

14. Needed that gem today :) This would have been perfect for All Saints’ Day. I was looking for a song about Saints to teach my music-loving toddler. I am going to start teaching it to her for next year :) And, prayers for safe travels!
    Jenna@CallHerHappy recently posted..Mike Hines-Site

15. Clara says:

Thank you for this!! Listening the Litany of the Saints is balm to my soul. (I teared up and was smiling at the same time.) While listening I forgot all earthly cares. Thank you, God bless and safe journeys!

16. Michigan_Pat says:

Beautiful song and much needed relief at the end of an occasionally stressful day.
    “ProLife Action League” sent out a request to join in a “Lord’s Prayer every hour” for the election. It only took two or three and I was already finding comfort in “forgive us, as we forgive”.
    Thanks so much for the Litany.
    Prayers for a fruitful stay at your abbey.

17. I heard Patrick Madrid mention this on Immaculate Heart Radio today. It’s nice to hear something soothing like this after such a rough day.
    John Culver II recently posted..True troubles

18. I listen to Patrick Madrid’s show Right Here, Right Now on EWTN radio and he suggested his listeners check out your site for the Litany video by Matt Maher. It was soothing and a good distraction for me.
    I had never been to your website before today, but I had previously heard your interview with Marcus Grodi, I believe, so I was aware of your name and your fascinating journey of faith, with finding God and His Truth.

I was in despair and actually sick to my stomach last night over the election results. My husband of 40 years passed away in September. Then I got a call that my sister-in-law died yesterday. Now, on top of those losses, I feel we’ve lost our country. But then I remembered the Lord told us not to be afraid, do not despair, or be discouraged, as those feelings work against virtue. So I will be strong, as He gives us the courage to endure. We must put our trust in Him, who gives us strength.

19. I love this song! I have it on my iPod and it brings me such peace every time I hear it. I guess knowing that all of these holy people are praying for us puts everything into perspective!
    Beth (A Mom’s Life) recently posted..Cub Scouts Raingutter Regatta

20. Becky says:

I love the litnay of the saints! It’s like seeing all my old friends again.
    Becky recently posted..The Holy Face of Jesus Rosary

21. LeAnna says:

Thank you so much for posting this — I needed a reminded that I’m not alone in my struggles. Hope you’re having an amazing time at the monastery!

22. the litany always makes me verklempt. I do prefer a much longer version :) but I also very much appreciate that this one doesn’t try to sneak in people who aren’t saints, like they did at our church on All Saints (Origen, for example)…. Thanks for the joy!
    Christine Dalessio recently posted..7 Quick Takes: Thursday Edition

23. AnneG says:

Really needed this. Tanks so much, Jennifer.