Wow. Thank you. [Updated]

I told Hallie not to do it, but she did it anyway.

Truly, words cannot express my gratitude. Not just to those who have donated, but to all of you who have reached out with prayers, kind words, and support. I get choked up just thinking about how generous and wonderful everyone has been.

I would write more but not being able to breathe well is surprisingly exhausting, so I’ll leave you with a picture that says a thousand words about how thankful I am for the donations.

lovenox pmt Wow. Thank you. [Updated]

A month's worth of Lovenox at the new dose. I think they had a defibrillator standing by when we went to pick it up.

Going to rest now. More updates as soon as I can.

UPDATED to add that I just got the great news that our prescription drug costs definitely do count toward our deductible, so relief from this Lovenox cost madness is on the horizon. Thank you so much again for all of your prayers and support!

51 Responses to “Wow. Thank you. [Updated]”
  1. Michelle says:

OMGosh, Jennifer. And me with my piddly $300/mo scrip charge for injectable Progesterone. God bless you. We say regular round the clock St. Michael the Archangel prayers for you and your family.

Michelle
    Michelle recently posted..7 Quick Takes – 37

2. Abigail says:

Wow. That’s overwhelming. Glad you are home and I love that folks are pulling together to help!!
    Abigail recently posted..26 Weeks!

3. Lena says:

Four THOUSAND dollars??!!!??? Prices like that can kill people, seriously. You aren’t kidding about needing a defib nearby. I hope Sandra Fluke chips in with all the money she’s saving on birth control.

• Simon says:

Maybe you should concentrate on the issue at hand instead of pointing you finger at others. If Sandra has a website or blog i’ll be sure to send her your Christian-like best wishes.

• Linda says:

Well, Lena’s remark made me laugh and hopefully, Jenn too, if she can afford the air. I don’t think dry humor is necessarily unchristian.

• Simon says:

I guess you have a point:)

I like humour too and we can all laugh when we think about it..Maybe i was too sensitive so sorry…..”I guess the prayers didn’t work then?”

• Simon says:

P.S. I don’t think that man who died on the cross would find it funny when the Pope speaks about Capitilism whilst walking around with a solid god cross and wearing funnym expensive looking clothes:) …I wonder if the Vatican would open up all their rooms for the unwanted if abortion were banned?

:) :)

• jen says:

Major Jesus Juke there, Simon. (Refer to http://www.jonacuff.com/stuffchristianslike/2010/11/the-jesus-juke/ for the definition of “Jesus Juke.)
            jen recently posted..The Simple Woman’s Daybook: January 7, 2013

• Simon says:

To Jen down below.

If you can read this i can’t reply to you directly it seems..There’s no reply feature under your comment.

Thanks for that link anyway but i’m no believer in god and thought Major Jesus Juke was Elvis’s old manager.

All the best,

Simple Simon.

• Andrea says:

Simon:

So your point is to troll around websites and try and provoke people into fights about how wrong and hypocritical they are? You state that you don’t believe in God, but I wonder where your belief that this is a productive way to spend your life comes from.

Andrea

• Simon says:

Firstly i’m not a troll, i’m just stating my opinion..You are being a hypocrite your self by assuming everyone that disagrees with you is a troll on here.

It’s also non of your buisnes what i chose to do if they want to remoove my posts that ok with me..I dont care..What was the point in talking about Sandra Fluke then? not to provoke?

• Simon says:

Actually Andrea i’ve changed my mind.

If you want to view me as a troll that’s ok with me. My appearence isn’t too far away from being one anyway…If i have nothing bette to do then that’s up to me as well. If the one in charge of this place wishes me to leave i will.

I see myself more of a Gollum though..Hiding in my my darkness and consumed by my own guilt…Whatever your view of me, and i can assure you there would be much worse to learn about me,,Much ,Much worse!!!… I still wish you a good day

• People, there’s an old internet saying: ‘Please don’t feed the trolls’. There’s much wisdom in that.
            Inge (Ars Vivendi) recently posted..Please, Help!

• Simon says:

Go fudge yourself Inge.

• Andrea says:

Simon:

You’re all over the place in casting aspersions and justifying why you do so. I would ask the simple question of why you hang out in conversations that seem to have no purpose for you other than to provoke or to be rude. It’s like you’re at a bar and barging into conversations you have no standing in. Why spend your (online) life doing that?

Andrea

• Simon says:

You’re doing the same and justifying it it seems too.

So what if i do because i fele like it? The only rules are those with the one in the position to remove or ban me..Who the hell are you to say what is right and what isn’t?

Why spend your life believing in a myth?

Because you fele like it and it makes you fele better about yourselves you pick and choose what is right to you and your dogmatic religion…You think that you say is somehow relevent too?

I spend my life doing it because i want to..simple as that..Just as you want to believe in your belief…Sometimes i want to kkwhy someone believes ion something that has no facts but faith alone…There is NO REASON TO YOUR BELIEF ACCEPT TO GO TO YOUR MAKE BELEIVE HEAVEN…so, that makes us no different.

Barging in was what you did, my first comment was pointed at comments about Sandra Fluke which had no bearing on the situation…If you wanna carry though go ahead.

4. Oh Jennifer! Ouch!

It makes me so grateful living in The Netherlands where these kind of expenses are covered for by the state. My donation is coming your way!
    Inge (Ars Vivendi) recently posted..Social Media: Giving The Internet A Soul

5. Considerer says:

Blimey! Gives me new resepct for the NHS all over again. Thank God people love you ;)
    Considerer recently posted..Have you got the time?

6. Jenn,
    Do contact the drug company that makes this stuff and see if they have a special program to bring down the cost for people who can’t afford it. Most pharma companies do that.

Also, appeal the hell out of your insurance company. Assume it will take until the baby is, say, 12, but also assume that eventually they will pay.

So glad you’re well enough to be home. Still praying for you and that little one. Oh, and for all the other little ones, and for your poor husband, too!
    Julia
    Julia at LotsaLaundry recently posted..Yessss!

• Pauline says:

I agree. I’m never going to complain about my name brand script charges again! No wonder you went with the generic in the beginning. Do you have insurance? Your out of pocket limit should eventually kick in. It will be higher for the non-generic but there should be some sort of cap. I would also contact your insurance company and appeal. You could get your doctor to write them a letter as well. I have had to do this MANY times for much smaller things. If you were getting clots with the generic, I would think that should do it. I have a lot experience doing this…so if you need any help…just let me know. I know I’m a complete stranger but we girls with high risk pregnancies need to stick together. :) Worst case scenario, you’ll have a great tax write off!!

I know about the breathing thing. It’s awful. You really can’t do anything. I couldn’t even read to my children. I was short of breath most of my last pregnancy (#5 and the other 4 were 8 and under) due to atrial fibrillation. My heart rate would really get up there–the 140′s and up are the worst, aren’t they? It’s about all you can do to sit and breathe. The best thing I could do was to pray and distract myself by watching movies.

I also had to do the Lovenox injections. They are a penance by themselves. Have you run out of spots that aren’t bruised yet?;)

My husband works for an injectible pharma company and I was thinking I could get some Lovenox for you– but I forgot they make generics! Ugh!

I know it seems so awful when you’re going through it, but God has a plan much better than ours. My health trials really strengthened my marriage and brought our family so much closer. Now that I am doing better, it’s really helped to change my perspective on things and I don’t sweat the small stuff (at least most of the time;). Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you need anything!

God bless you! You and your family are in our prayers. Padre Pio has worked miracles for us.

7. Keystone says:

Oh Jen,
    May your breathing problems become soul solutions for many!
    Consider every breathe you send out as a small prayer.
    And consider the exhale of God….your next inhale….be the answers to those prayers.
    You are never alone in difficulty.
    Troubles shared are divided and JOY shared is doubled. Can’t wait to hear of your new joys!
    Keystone

Ps. God always provides. His economy is priceless. And so are you. Prayers continue for mother and child…and family.

8. Karen says:

Praying for you!

Have you called the pharmaceutical manufacturer of your meds? They sometimes have programs to help with exorbitant co-pays.

These 6 figure babies are worth it. Mine is 4 and driving me nuts.

9. I am SO GRATEFUL that we had good insurance with babies #3 and 4- I also needed lovenox and progesterone every day- now I have compounded health problems that would make pregnancy an even bigger risk- but my HMO will NOT cover any of this now (I have asked)
    priest’s wife (@byzcathwife) recently posted..Meet Miro: computer geek, papa, Catholic

10. Abigail Benjamin says:

You are worth it!!! You’re priceless son is worth it too!

(Thanks for involuntarily tithing this month to the pro-life cause!)

Jen and Hobby Lobby–getting fined at the same time! :-)

11. I am absolutely gobsmacked at this. I’m so gobsmacked that I just used the word “gobsmacked” in public forum! Prayers for you and your family, friend.
    Dwija {House Unseen} recently posted..A Morning in the Life

12. Jen – I know this from experience – the makers of Lovenox (Sanofi) DO have a program by which they provide free medication for those for whom the cost is insurmountable (especially those without insurance). I know this for a fact because I had to contact them about the program for my mother, whose medicaid had run out and she needed it to survive. I do suggest, urgently, that you give their offices a call

And ask them about programs for providing their medications for people who truly cannot afford them. Hopefully they still do this, but my guess is, they do.

13. JoAnna says:

Does it come in a diamond-encrusted bottle?? Good grief!!

Ongoing prayers!
    JoAnna recently posted..7 Quick Takes Friday – January 4, 2013

14. I’m so glad you have access to the medication you need. Take it easy. You and your family are in my prayers.
    Larissa Heart recently posted..My Foray into Link-Ups, Soup and Lost with Zombies (7 Quick Takes Friday Vol. 1)

15. Kathy says:

Wow – just wow, I remember my cost being around $700 to $900 a month, but we had excellent insurance and our co pay ended up being closer to $100, I complained about that and I feel so bad now. $4,000 and that is just the Lovenox, I can’t even begin to think of all the ultrasounds etc.., not to mention to constant blood work. You feel like a pin cushion with this condition when you DON’T have an embolism, I’m sure with multiple ones it is over the top. Lots and Lots of prayers for you!
    Kathy recently posted..Epiphany & Asparagus Enchiladas

16. Monica says:

Jennifer,

I first heard you while being interviewed on relevant radio a few weeks ago. You sounded very articulate and sure of yourslef which I found refreshihng. After reading your website I became an avid reader of your blog. I am a Mother/Baby nurse by profession and understand everything you are going through. My heart and prayers go out to you, your unborn little one, Joe and the family. Hoping and always praying for a complete recovery, a safe delivery and many long years for you and Joe of famliy life, Monica.

17. Kerry Wolf says:

Jen, I wish there was something I could do to help you! I do live in the Austin area–I don’t work right now so I am always available to help with errands, kids, etc. Please contact me if I can be of help.
    Kerry Wolf recently posted..A Place to Pray

18. elizabethe says:

Jen, your online presence is a rock for me, at least. Take care of yourself.

19. WOW! That is INSANE! Our family is still praying for you and your little one!
    Maggie @ From the Heart recently posted..Back from Minnesota

20. Mary Morales says:

Prayers for you, Jennifer! I met you at a Dominican Sister’s event and heard you speak at the Relevant Radio lunch. May God give you heroic strength during what seems like an extremely trying time. You continue to inspire and encourage the rest of us. God bless you and your family!

21. Marilyn H says:

Jen, You and your family are in my prayers. God bless you during this difficult time. Praying that your lungs open up and that you can breathe freely. Thank you for your beautiful writing. Your kindness, humor and intellect are a wonderful combination.
    Marilyn H recently posted..Whither Social Justice? Conversations with my Nephew

22. Catherine Post says:

Oh Jen, I am SO GLAD that Hallie has started this! I am sending out tweets to let others know, too; and I do hope that you get household and mother’s help, along with meals, to tide you over for, oh, 6 months or so. ;-) I continue to pray for you during this very rough time.

Regarding your breathing, a thought came to me that I’d like to share with you. When we think of having a hard time breathing, often we might say, “I was totally winded!” Well, of the 3 persons of the Blessed Trinity, which one do you think may be accompanying you during your need for ‘Wind’? I’m thinking that the Holy Spirit is with you, watching over you, helping you through this very hard time. You have given so very much, been ‘selfless’ in many ways. Now, in prayer, the Lord is suggesting to me that He might just be VERY there for you – not in the Eucharist, but in the quiet (or noisy!) whisper (or cough, wheeze) that you are experiencing. I say, Let the Holy Spirit fill your lungs with God’s love!

Lots of prayers. :)

23. Janet says:

No medication should cost that much! People can blame the government, but if you don’t have coverage for a particular medication, it is the “insurance product” that was purchased. Human resources at Joe’s job (if your insurance is through his job) can sometimes get prescriptions covered.
    God bless you, we will continue to pray for all involved!

• Laura says:

I believe Jen’s husband is self-employed and my guess is that they have a high-deductible plan. Our family’s deductible in $6k for in-network, $12k out of network. You pay a premium but it’s like you’re uninsured. . . with none of the benefits of being uninsured (discounts from providers, high-risk pool eligibility, etc). :-P Anyway . . .

my prayers are with you Jen!
      Laura recently posted..All About Bone Broth . . . and Will It Ruin Your Child’s Love Life?

24. I love helping you out! You help me out each time you hit “publish”. I really appreciate all of your work; I’ve said it before, but you really inspire me.

Now, stop inspiring me and rest for a while. We will all be here when you get better!
    Jenna@CallHerHappy recently posted..Celebrate Like a Catholic: Epiphany

25. LuAnne says:

Jen,

I’m so glad that Hallie did this – and so glad for the response!

Praying for you and your family…
    LuAnne recently posted..this prayer and wish and hope

26. coco says:

You are great! Hang in there!

27. If you haven’t (though Im sure you have) talk to your social worker. Those people are the best for getting things covered. They will often know they right people or be able to pull strings to help make things more affordable.

P.S.
    I’ve seen A LOT of lovenox prescriptions and charges but this one takes the cake. My former high was $3300/month. So…uhh…congrats I guess? ;-)
    Katie @NFP and Me recently posted..Family Pictures

28. Susan says:

Dear Jen,

So glad you are doing better, and to have had the honor of helping out in a very small way with your current trial.

While I wish it were not so, I am sure that you are already being criticized from some fronts for decisions you’ve made re: NFP, etc. That’s why I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you and your family for your faithfulness to church teaching. I am still a new convert and know that your good example has made my feeble attempts to follow Christ’s teachings easier.

God bless you and yours!

29. So glad you are recovering, even if slowly. We’ll continue praying for you. As others have said, please take it easy. We understand if you can’t post for a while!
    Connie Rossini recently posted..Seven ways to make time for prayer

30. I spent half of my last pregnancy with insurance that gave me a $75 co-pay on the Lovenox (which my pharmacist was aghast at, I think he might have a coronary if he saw your bill) and half on Medicaid where it was free. (Lost my job and my husband’s job at 23 weeks). Sending prayers and storming heaven. My heart has been aching since we were diagnosed with secondary infertility over the summer, I am offering that pain up for you and yours.
    Kristen @ St Monica’s Bridge recently posted..More love from the Interwebs

31. Jen says:

I’m due with #6 in April too. I’m going to stop complaining about my progesterone shots and my sections. I was telling my husband about you last night, and he is praying too. We sent some money. After this pic, I think we’ll send more. Wow.
    Jen recently posted..Morning routine

32. Jeni B. says:

I have been reading your blog for years now but am not really a commenter. I just wanted to say that you inspire me and my thoughts and prayers are with you, your baby and your family!

33. Jennifer says:

Wow. Will be sending a gift for sure. This also has me fearing how much my lovenox will be after I deliver my next little one. Won’t have to take it as long as you, but wow, what a number. On the plus side, we too will surely hit our deductible.

Hang in there. Lots and lots of people are praying for you and your family!