Fabulous finds

A few things I’ve come across in my web voyaging that are too good not to share:

– I shall henceforth think of my life as being divided into two epochs: before I discovered the Guy on a Buffalo videos, and after I discovered the Guy on a Buffalo videos.

(Thanks to Simple Felicity for posting the video in last week’s 7 Quick Takes post and giving my life meaning.) (P.S. That band is from Austin. Of course.)

– A great litmus test for finding balance: “Will saying yes to this activity require me to live in a frantic way?” (via Rachel Held Evans)

– I think I might have heard this astounding story about Olympic athlete Dominique Moceanu’s long-lost sister, but I had forgotten about it, and now my mind is blown again. One of the most amazing stories I’ve heard in a long time.

– Yard Sale of the Mind asks an interesting question: Is “adolescence” even a real phase of life?

Building a toddler play kitchen from an old cabinet. The kind of thing I’d do if I were talented, frugal, and not lazy.

– Never forget: most people are lonelier than you think (a reflection by “mildly grumpy introvert” Sharon Holland, who used to have the popular Veronica Mitchell blog. So glad she’s back.)

– Grief as “the realization of what you’ve lost”: one mother’s breathtakingly beautiful reflection about what the death of her baby taught her about her adopted son’s grieving process.

– This video about changing the way we understand what it means to be “educated” has some interesting points. Truth be told, it kind of begs for a part II, since many of the conclusions aren’t fully fleshed out, but the animation is so hypnotically cool that I had to post it anyway.

Happy Monday!

13 Responses to “Fabulous finds”
  1. Meghan says:

That last video was fascinating. The most remarkable line (to me) was “Great learning happens in groups.” I sort of wonder how true this is. I am in the middle of the book Quiet by Susan Cain, which is entirely about introversion (she also did the Ted talk The Power of Introverts, which I loved, and now I am loving the book). She certainly writes that it is a myth that the greatest ideas and greatest discoveries come from groups. I know the two aren’t exactly the same, but they seem to be somewhat dependent on one another.
    Meghan recently posted..Accessorizing (in a more traditional way)

2. You know, as with most things written about children/teens, the adolescence thing is only right part of the time. For some kids, you can treat them as adults starting at 13 and they will rise to the occasion. Others? Well, they literally go nuts. Their brains sometimes do not work right while being assailed by the hormonal storm that we term adolescence. So this phrase in particular was a real kneeslapper:

“Epstein argues that adolescents are fully capable of cognitive and moral reasoning, maintaining long-term relationships, and being responsible for themselves.”

Some adolescents, yes. Others? Absolutely not. People who have only experienced the former in their own kids make sweeping assumptions about the nature of adolescence that do not hold up to rigorous examination. You get what you get, parents; so hold onto your hats and be prepared.
    suburbancorrespondent recently posted..Down For The Count

3. And, for the record, I’ve raised both kinds of teens. So don’t start going with the nurture argument…
    suburbancorrespondent recently posted..Down For The Count

4. Carol says:

We love Guy on a Buffalo! My kids walk around signing it!! FYI, Guy on a Buffalo gear is available online. Fathers’ Day?

5. Jennifer – Thank you so much for linking to my post about grief and adoption.

And thanks for the link about adolescence. I’ve often wondered why God made teenagers with raging hormones when it is His will for them to wait until they are married to have sex. One day it hit me that maybe our culture abnormally delays adulthood. I don’t know how to turn this one around, but it seems like the age where you are considered an adult just keeps going up and up.
    Dana@DeathbyGreatWall recently posted..Unforgotten

• And the age of puberty keeps going down. There are a lot of theories about the causes for that one. I think we can generalize and say the Fall messed things up a bit, and our culture messes them up even more.

The education video was really interesting. I’ve thought about a lot of those things before relating to homeschooling. I think the best thing about teaching your own kids is you see them as individuals. You don’t teach to the average student (whatever that is), but to the actual human being sitting beside you.
      Connie Rossini recently posted..Meditation for Kids: Manna in the wilderness

6. I saw you tweeted the frantic life article. I’m looking forward to reading it. The grief one I might not get to. I am reading a book on a similar subject right now, and it might be a little too much for this pregnant mind ;)
    Jenna@CaIllHerHappy recently posted..Dear Ellen, I’m Scared.

7. Mollie says:

check out this equally cool (though much shorter) animated clip:

I think that if you’re not going to homeschool, Montessori is the only answer for the reasons that the guy in your clip enumerates.

8. Joseph M says:

Thanks for the link, Jen. I’m flattered.

While I appreciate the suburbancorrespondent’s point about how not all kids can handle adult-type responsibility at 13 (or 18. or 20.), I think that shouldn’t stop us *in general* from giving kids A LOT more trust and responsibility than we do now.

Mixed messages can be so damaging: we tell them we trust them, but never stop hovering. We trust a 16 year old to represent the school in sports, theater, whatever, to drive a car, and expect them to do unconscionable amounts of soul- and family-life-crushing homework – and then won’t let them walk off campus without signed permission and hover over their every decision to make sure they make the ‘right’ one. Even more subtle and insidious: we backstop their mistakes those rare occasions when we do let them do something – they can’t fail, and so can’t really own the success.

As Dory says: “Well, you can’t never let anything happen to him. Then nothing would ever happen to him. Not much fun for little Harpo.”
    Joseph M recently posted..Doing the Math – Approximating the Boring Truth

9. Just missed you Jennifer, so decided to come by and say Hi. I hope you are feeling better!
    Roxane B. Salonen recently posted..memorable mondays: in D.C., the spark of youth

10. Graham says:

I don’t know why, but “Guy on a Buffalo” really brings me back to the sound and generally wonderful craziness of Austin when I lived there back in the 70’s! Hope we get to see the next episode when it’s done!

11. Catherine says:

Here is the whole lecture, without the cartoon though :(

Enjoy!