We have a publisher!

ignatius books We have a publisher!

One thousand eight hundred and twenty days ago, I started writing my book, a memoir about going from atheism to belief. After three complete, from-a-blank-page rewrites; countless feedback sessions from Joe and my agent and brilliant fellow writers, each of which left me wondering whether I should perhaps just give up on the written word altogether; revisions that made me feel like my brain was melting; a reality show; three new babies; and a pitch process that almost sent me into cardiac arrest every time I saw my agent’s name in my inbox…I finally have a publisher.

I know I use this word too much, but there is no other way to describe the pitch process other than to say it was EPIC. When Ted, my agent, first told me that we had multiple offers from great publishers, I was thrilled. My excitement quickly melted into a vague sense of dread, however, when I realized that I could only pick one. I know, I know, good problem to have. But because my writer angst knows no bounds, I had these visions of making the wrong decision and ruining everyone’s life in the process, leaving some poor acquisitions editor so scarred that she’d spit on the ground any time she heard my name.

I prayed for direction, and to my great relief my prayers were answered. God made it clear which house would be the right fit for this project, probably because he knew that I’d turn this situation into too much of a hot mess if he didn’t intervene directly this time. Ted made some calls, we all signed some papers, and now I can finally tell you:

Ignatius Press is my publisher, and my book will probably be released either this Fall or next Spring!

Ignatius? you say. Ignatius Press? The Pope’s publisher? The house that puts out all those works of theology that make you feel like you didn’t know anything about anything until you read this book? They’re publishing you? All I can say is: I KNOW!

Our bookshelves are about half full with Ignatius books, and I’m still having a hard time believing that mine will one day be among them. Let’s see, we have:

…And Jennifer Fulwiler talking about listening to Tupac on her iPod while reading the Catechism.

I keep waiting for Mark Brumley to call and tell me delicately that there’s this professor with five PhDs named Jennifer Fullwider, and, long story short, a horrible mistake has been made. But that hasn’t happened yet, and I’ve given it a few weeks, so I guess I can officially say:

Ignatius Press is my publisher!!!!

I invite you to raise a glass of your favorite beverage to celebrate this moment with me in a virtual toast. Thanks for putting up with my writer drama over the past few years (though I shouldn’t talk about it in the past tense, as if there’s not a whole lot more to come). I love sharing my story with you, and I hope you’ll continue to join me in the adventures that are yet to come!

112 Responses to “We have a publisher!”
  1. Laura M says:

Jennifer congratulations! Igantius press? that is amazing. Virtually-toasting with you.

2. Patty says:

That’s awesome, Jennifer! I’m really excited to read your book:)

3. Alice says:

Congratulations! I was going to say “and don’t forget Walter Ciszek!” but I see you already have him there on your shelf.

“Fulwiler” is going to look very nice on a thick band of color on the upper third of the spine.
    Alice recently posted..A Picnic, and Teaching Tales

4. Ute says:

Congratulations!! I can’t wait to see it in print. Did they give you a timeline or any hints how long it will take until we can buy it?
    Ute recently posted..Praying for Oklahoma

5. Congratulations!!!!!!! You’re way better than that Fullwider chick anyway! I can’t wait to see it.

6. Camille says:

How exciting!!! That is such great news! When will the title of the book be released?! I can’t wait to hear what you’ve called it!
    Camille recently posted..Yarn Along

7. JoAnna says:

Congratulations! Ignatius is a great publisher! I have a ton of their books as well.
    JoAnna recently posted..Six Words I Never Thought I’d Hear

8. Congratulations to you!!! I’m so excited! Can you tell us the title? Can’t wait to read it! :D

9. Eugenia says:

I cannot wait to read your book! And I love Ignatius Press, so I’m thrilled you chose them!

10. Jeni Wilmot says:

I just scanned my bookshelf to see if I had any books published by Ignatius. Oh yes, just about half my collection. Congrats! SOOO STOKED! Can’t wait to read it!!

11. Congratulations! Don’t sell yourself short – Christ is revealed through all those great works, yours included! Sometimes more so in the laughter and drama of the daily journey for many! I’m seriously interested in the whole Tupac on your iPod bit myself….. :)
    Rakhi McCormick recently posted..Five Faves: Home Edition

12. Nichole says:

Congrats! I love Ignatius Press and I’m sure I will love your book. Hope it’s out in time for Christmas! ;-)

13. Smoochagator says:

SO. FREAKING. EXCITED. AND. PROUD OF YOU.
    Smoochagator recently posted..Munchies Monday: Green Breakfast Quiche

14. Mary says:

such wonderful news!! congratulations Jennifer!! cant wait to add it to my Ignatius collection!! awesome!!
    Mary recently posted..gratefully exhausted…

15. Marietta Newland says:

Congratulations!!! What an exciting time! :)

16. adrianne cantor says:

Wow, what a wonderful Holy Spirit driven gift! Cant wait to add it to my Christmas list :)

17. Congratulations – and at least as many congratulations to Ignatius Press! Very much looking forward to reading it!
    Heidi @ Table Reading recently posted..Tablet Reading – links for May 22

18. Lindsey says:

YES, IGNATIUS PRESS!!! I cannot wait to see it in their print catalog which I always drool over when it comes in the mail. Congratulations, Jennifer! You can bet I will buy it! I’m so excited for you!

19. Pat Gohn says:

You’re gonna rock it. Congratz!
    Pat Gohn recently posted..Post Pentecost – Recalling the Effects of Confirmation

• Lindsey says:

Oh, hi there, Pat! I just picked up your book. I’m reading it with a group of friends for a summer ladies’ book club. Nice to “meet” you!

20. Jennifer says:

Congratulations! I hope it’s going to be published this fall. I can’t wait to read it!

21. Melissa says:

So happy for you, Jen! So proud of/for you!
    Congratulations! (Btw, I meant to shake my fist at you for that dang 7 Quick Takes last week- reading anything you write involving scorpions does NOT make for good post-op reading! I nearly split a gut…literally!)

22. Laura says:

Congratulations! That is fabulous! Can’t wait to get me a copy!!!
    Laura recently posted..When Homeschooling Moms Graduate

23. Cheryl says:

Awesome news! I watched “Minor Revisions” last month and hopped over here to find out details of where to get your book and was disappointed then that it wasn’t out yet! I know from what you’ve said that it’s been a long journey for you so congrats and take the time to inhale this moment of celebration! And blessings to your new precious baby boy!

24. Serena says:

Congratulations!!! Sláinte!

25. KAthleen says:

I am so happy for you! I have loved your blog for a long time and look forward to buying your book!

Congratulations! I cannot believe how you are able to write a book, homeschool kids, feed a newborn and deal with health issues. The only explanation is grace! I plan on giving your book to any and all the Atheist in my life!

26. Brandon Vogt says:

So thrilled! Great for you, even better for Ignatius. Can’t wait to see all the waves the book will make in Catholic and atheist worlds.
    Brandon Vogt recently posted..New and Notable Books (May 2013)

27. Jill says:

Congratulations! I’m so glad for you; I’ll take this opportunity to tell you how much I’ve enjoyed reading your blog. I find it spiritually uplifting and funny every time! So thanks, I’ll look forward to your published book!

28. Leanne says:

Congrats!!!
    Leanne recently posted..Joy Dare Monday: what a week!

29. LPatter says:

Congratulations! Cheers! (Newman’s Lemonade :) )

I LOVE Ignatius Press! Can.not.wait. to BUY your book and READ IT!

Keep us posted!

Enjoy – you deserve to celebrate

30. I am thrilled for you.You are an inspiration to me and I sure will buy your book-maybe more than one. What an awesome lady God picked to work through.

31. DorianSpeed says:

Wonderful news! I can’t believe it’s been this long but I’m so glad I will soon be holding a copy of your real live BOOK.
    DorianSpeed recently posted..THE PINISHERS, Volume 4: Family

32. MelanieB says:

Ignatius! Wow! That’s so awesome. Congratulations, Jen. I knew you could do it. I am so looking forward to reading your book! And making all my friends and blog readers read it too.
    MelanieB recently posted..The Hiding Place

33. Mary says:

Sweet! Amazaing! Well-deserved! I can’t wait to read it! Congratulations.
    (Will it have a chapter titled “SCORPIONS”?

34. christine says:

Yay!!! Congratulations!!! I shall raise my glass of milk in a toast to fabulous new books with fabulous publishers! (Is it sad that the strongest drink I have in a day with which to toast you is a glass of milk?)
    christine recently posted..Interviews With the Pig Wranglers

35. Jane Hartman says:

I’m so happy for you! No one is more deserving of this than you. I really can’t wait to read your complete conversion story.

36. Wow! that is so cool! Congrats! :D
    Jessica Snell recently posted..Book Notes: "Once Upon a Prince" by Rachel Hauck

37. Amy B says:

WOAH. THAT IS HUGE. Congrats!!!!!! Can’t wait to read it!

38. Judith says:

What wonderful news! Toasting you with orange juice even as I type!

May the Holy Spirit use your book to move hearts toward Him, as yours was moved …….. to truth and love and joy in Jesus~!

39. Suzanne Beck says:

Jen…you are SO funny! Congrats and blessings to you as you continue to follow Him!

40. Awesome, Jennifer! I can’t wait to read your whole story. I’m one of those who has only “known” you after your conversion was complete. We hear snippets, but the whole thing in detail has got to be so interesting. Congratulations!
    Connie Rossini recently posted..Free review copy of my forthcoming e-book

41. Congratulations! I saw this on Publishers Marketplace, actually! Great news!

I’m curious (I write fiction that’s not terribly easy to put into any one genre and the question of audience has been one I’ve grappled with a lot)–I remember at some point during the process you felt like your audience was non-Catholics. Is that still true, given the publisher, or has that shifted?

Can’t wait to read!
    Kelly Loy Gilbert recently posted..What’s Up Wednesday

42. KJP says:

Of course it’s st. Ignatius!!! No surprise :) you rock!

43. Squeeeeeeeeeee! Congratulations!!!!!
    Sarah Reinhard recently posted..Weekly Giveaway: An Awesome Catholic Trio o’ Books

44. Monica says:

Congratulations!!! I can’t wait to get my hands on it!!

Speaking of writer’s angst, every time I see something about a writer and their agony, I think of you! :D I tagged your page on a photo on FB the other day because something reminded me of you. Hope that wasn’t extremely creepy, stalker-esque of me since I don’t know you in person. :) I feel like I do!

Toasting to your accomplishment! Yay!!

45. Monica Benninghoff says:

Virtually toasting you with a virtual margarita. If I’d known about this event earlier, I would’ve postponed drinking my ONE margarita of the evening! Congratulations!

46. Congratulations!
    suburbancorrespondent recently posted..Like Mother, Like Daughter(s)

47. Tom Perna says:

Congratulations Jennifer! Great to hear Ignatius Press is your publisher. I need to start shopping for a publisher. Thinking about publishing my “Mondays with Mary.”

48. Sandra says:

I’ve been waiting for your book to be published for a long time. Congratulations!

49. Catherine (Vancouver) says:

Congratulations! I’ve been following your blog when it was still the reluctant atheist, and I’ll be one of the first to buy your book [and share it with friends!]! :)

50. Oh my goodness! Ignatius is my fave!! I have so many of their books, and they helped solidify my reversion. I cannot wait to get your book on my shelf, and I also cannot wait to promote it to the hilt! Congratulations, Jen!

51. Melody says:

I am sooo happy for you!! This is indeed a thing to celebrate! I’m glad you shared with us, and I can’t wait to buy/read your book!!!
    Melody recently posted..May, Day 20/21 …on the Devastation in Moore, Oklahoma…

52. Congratulations!

53. jen a says:

Fantastic news! IGNATIUS!

54. Bonnie says:

This is such great news! Congratulations! I hope you’ll share with us how “God made it clear which house would be the right fit for this project.” It helps to know how others discern God’s leading. Anyway,
    I am so happy for you! God bless!

55. Lizzie says:

So many congratulations Jennifer! You are such an inspiration – to write a book and mother your 6 little ones and go through all you have this past year. What a witness you are to faith, hope and love.

I can’t wait to read it and pass it on to friends and family. God bless you, Lizzie (London, UK)

56. TracyE says:

Cheers to you from my morning cuppa!!! Such great news!!! Congratulations!!!

57. Jessica says:

I just about fell off my chair! All glory, honor and praise to our God!

I am SO HAPPY for you and your family. Well deserved!

58. Rhonda Ortiz says:

Congratulations, Jennifer! What wonderful news!
    Rhonda Ortiz recently posted..Get a Life, Mom!

59. Abigail Benjamin says:

Prayer works! YEAH! I remember when you started the writing process all those thousands of days ago. Here you are!!!! HURRAH! Great job!

60. Maia says:

Hooray! Can’t wait to add yours to MY collection of Ignatius Press books!!!
    Maia recently posted..Praying for Oklahoma

61. Chris C says:

Congratulations!!You certainly are deserving! You will grace many with your words, Jennifer.
    How awesome!
    Chris C recently posted..Deckschooling 5/21/13

62. Laura says:

Congratulations! And Ignatius Press too – Wow! I look forward to reading it.
    Laura recently posted..Italy revisited

63. Emily B says:

Wahoo! I am ready to pre-order. Congratulations!
    Emily B recently posted..It Does Require Sacrifice

64. Claudia Graham says:

Totally awesome Jen! Thrilled for you and praying for Fall release!

65. elizabethe says:

raising my iced mocha in toast to you. I have tears welling up. I am SO happy for you. Congratulations.

66. Wanda says:

So proud of you Jennifer and your courage to stand out there for the faith !

Can’t wait to read it!

67. Roger B says:

Congrats, and welcome to the herd! It’s been decades since Ignatius published my first work, but they should be coming out with my second collection shortly (e-book only, I fear). However, I have another MS in for their consideration. I’m @arwenelizabeth’s dad, by the way.

68. Julie Cragon says:

Awesome Press Jennifer! They will do a wonderful job publishing and promoting your book. We sell their books extremely well. Congratulations!

69. tacy says:

Congrats!!! :)

70. Miranda says:

Congratulations, Jennifer! I just found your blog and TV show. As a new mother myself, it is so nice to watch your show and see your family. I don’t know how you have time to write with 6 kids–I’ve really got to hand it to you!

71. Christine says:

Congratulations!

72. Natalie says:

Congratulations. I can’t wait to read it.

73. Kerri says:

Congratulations, what amazing news!! How exciting to be working with Ignatius!!
    Kerri recently posted..More Cute Boys

74. Patty says:

Oh my goodness you are so funny…Jennifer Fullwider, lol!!!! Congrats on this very momentous moment! I just know your book will ascend to the top of the best seller list. God bless.

75. Marie says:

Wow, what exciting news! Congratulations. Can’t wait to read your book.

76. Tom says:

Brava, Jennifer! I am so punching “pre-order” on this book when it hits Amazon!

77. Kathryn says:

Super proud of you, Jen. Like, ridiculously proud.
    Kathryn recently posted..A Hootin’ Good Time: Crafty Owl Birthday Party

78. Josee Turner says:

I have goose bumps at hearing the news. Way to go! I am so happy for you, and just thrilled at the good that will come from this.

79. Vicki says:

Congratulations, Jen. It couldn’t happen to a nicer person. I’ll be ordering a copy when it is released.

80. Joanna says:

Congratulations, Jen (and Joe and kids)!

81. Robina says:

Congrats. Can’t wait to read it.

82. Skywalker says:

Congratulations! Looking forward to details about title and publication date.

83. Monica says:

CONGRATULATIONS Jennifer and Joe!
    I can’t wait to purchase your Book from Ignatius Press!!!! and read your about you and Joe’s journey to Catholicism. Thanks for sharing your great news. I lift my glass of chocolate milk and cling it with your glass of your favorite beverage! Salute!

84. Paul Jaminet says:

Congratulations!

85. Claudia says:

Congrats, Jen!

86. Bonnie says:

So very happy for you! Great publishing company! Can’t wait to read your book!

87. MaryG says:

Jen

How wonderful! I am raising a Chimay in your honor right now ( the monks make the BEST beer)! I CANNOT WAIT TO READ YOUR BOOK!

God bless and keep you!

Yours in Christ,
    Mary

88. Jennifer says:

Congratulations!!! That is an honor in itself. Can’t wait to read the book!

89. Becky says:

I’m always a day late reading your posts, but….(my Diet Dr.Pepper is raised high in the air)a toast to you, Jen, congratulations and I can’t wait to see your book on the shelves next to the smart people! :-)
    Becky recently posted..Custom Orders

90. Amity says:

Wheeee! Congratulations!

91. Liesl says:

Wow, that is awesome! Ignatius Press! Congratulations! Really really looking forward to your book! :)
    Liesl recently posted..The Beholder

92. Ginny Jaques says:

I’m happy for you, and I must say I’m amazed that you had to do three re-writes and suffer numerous pitches before you were discovered. Your writing style is delightful. Your personality sings. And your story has to be of great interest to many people. God bless your book!
    Ginny Jaques recently posted..Conflict Submission

93. Congratulations!
    Lindsay (Young Married Mom) recently posted..Making It Official

94. Marty in "Hail-Mary" land says:

Well…It’s about time! Ha! Congrats Jen! Can’t wait to get the book. From accidentally seeing you on TV “Choices We Face”, to your blog, to “Revisions”, to another baby, to being published. You go girl! And, I’m hanging on for the ride, and praying for you. How do I get an autographed copy?!

95. Nicole says:

Could not stop laughing at Tupac on Ipod. I’m an east coast girl, so I like Big. But it’s neither here nor there, congratulations on being published. Can’t wait to read it!

96. Jessica says:

I am not surprised!!! But I am incredibly excited for you!!! You completely deserve this! You’ve had such a tremendous year, what an amazing highlight to add! Congratulations! Thanks be to God! And a thoroughly embarrassing happy mommy dance to ya!

97. Shannon says:

*happy dance* So excited for you, and I can’t wait to read it!

98. Tania says:

Congratulations!!! You have so generously put yourself out there and poured yourself into your writing–this is well deserved!! May this book help to bring many to Faith!!

99. Adrian Gallacher says:

Great news! You’ve earned it. Congratulations.

100. FABULOUS!!!! I’m so glad God made it clear to you which one to go with. Bravo!

101. LeAnna says:

So, this is one of the coolest things ever! Congrats!!!!
    LeAnna recently posted..a growing family

102. YES!! I know you must feel like a million bucks. We are all excited proud and can’t wait to read it and say we “knew” you when!!
    Bonnie Morris recently posted..Prayers and ketchup packets

103. Sarah says:

Congratulations! I’m so excited and can’t wait to read your book!!

104. Jonathan Brumley says:

Great! Congratulations!

105. Jaime says:

Congratulations!! So exciting!!! I’ll be ordering one for our house! My husband is an atheist convert also and we both love your writing!

106. YAY!!! I am looking forward to it! Congratulations! Ignatius Press was smart to pick you up, I am sure we will see you on the Best Sellers list.

107. Lisa Murphy says:

Hi Jennifer! That is fantastic news!! Good for you to see it through:) I ended up self-publishing because I didn’t have the patience (or the connections) to publish through traditional means. Now I wish I had a good publisher. Any chance you could recommend an agent? So happy for you, and can’t wait to read your story!!

108. Cristina says:

I prefer Notorious B.I.G. myself. Ever watch the documentary while making rosaries? I have. Wassup sistah?!

congratulations!!!!!!! Can’t wait to download it and listen to Wu Tang as I read it. Love them too. :)
    Cristina recently posted..Week 7: Lawn Chair Catechism: I’m Covered

109. Fairly nice post. I stumbled upon ones site in addition to wanted to say that I’ve actually appreciated surfing around the weblog threads. Whatever the case I’ll be checking in your give food to and i also we imagine you compose all over again soon!

110. Woah! I’m really loving the template/theme of this website. It’s simple,
    yet effective. A lot of times it’s difficult to get that “perfect balance” between user friendliness and visual appeal. I must say that you’ve done a
    great job with this. In addition, the blog loads super quick for
    me on Opera. Superb Blog!
    cheap auto insurance recently posted..cheap auto insurance