7 Quick Takes about personality theme songs, Fall, fruitcake, and cats in boxes

7 quick takes sm1 7 Quick Takes about personality theme songs, Fall, fruitcake, and cats in boxes

— 1 —

How is your Fall going so far? I have to say, this new season has been as good as I thought it would be. The baby is five months old now, my crazy two-year-old is beginning to show signs of having a sane side, and school and activities are giving our days some very-very-much-needed structure. We’ve even got some cool-ish weather here in Austin, so I’m pretty much all set to kick back and mull some cider and drink a pumpkin spice latte and do whatever else Pinterest tells me I have to do to enjoy Fall.

— 2 —

Delena recently brought up the best subject ever: theme songs for different personality types (in take #7).

She says that Can’t Hold Us by Macklemore is the perfect theme for her type, ESFP. “If you’ve ever wanted to know what it’s like in my head, well, that’s pretty much it,” she wrote. My Myers-Briggs type is basically the opposite of hers, so It was a fascinating and delightful experience to close my eyes and listen to the song and be transported to ESFP world for a moment. I kept thinking, Oh my gosh, it would be so interesting to be this type of person!

Delena asked readers to come up with a song for their own personality types, and now we all need to drop what we’re doing immediately and set about this most important of tasks. I think I found the perfect song that represents what it’s like to be in my head as an INTP: Surrender to Hope by Trailerhead.

WHAT IT’S LIKE TO BE AN INTP:
(The music. Not the picture of the woman in the snow.)

Fellow INTPs: this is totally it, right?

Now I must know: what song best represents your personality type? (If you don’t know your Myers-Briggs category, take this quick quiz!) I am going to do nothing but sit in front of my computer and wait for your answers.

— 3 —

Speaking of songs, Joe and I got in a surprisingly heated discussion yesterday about whether it is possible to combine rap and country music. I explained that I used to believe that such a thing was always a terrible idea, but the song Cruise by Florida Georgia Line featuring Nelly has changed my mind. He strongly disagreed, and analogized creating a song that contains both rap and country to baking a fruitcake — the individual parts might be good, but to put them together would be an offense against nature. That started us on a debate about whether fruitcake can ever be good, wherein I admitted that I had never tasted one that I enjoyed, but pointed out that the popularity of the dish must indicate that it is possible to make a delicious fruitcake. Joe held firm, saying that, just like with songs that try to combine rap and country, not in the history of the earth has there ever been a decent fruitcake.

And I have no idea where I’m going with this take, so let’s move on…

— 4 —

My eight-year-old son has started playing football, and WOW is that a different culture than any of the other sports we’ve done. Two-hour practices, three times a week, rain or shine. They do cancel practice if they hear thunder, but you get the feeling that the coach is only doing it grudgingly, secretly thinking that he doesn’t want players on his team who can’t handle a little lightning strike to the head. In soccer the attitude was, “The only thing that matters is learning teamwork and having fun!” In Texas football, the only thing that matters is CRUSHING OUR OPPONENTS.

It’s definitely taking some getting used to.

— 5 —

The blogger Design Mom recently returned to the United States after living in France for two years with her husband and six children. She mentioned in a post that she was having trouble getting used to the frantic pace of American life, especially on weekends. I asked her to elaborate on the different attitudes that lead to a more relaxed pace of life in Europe, and I found her reply very thought provoking. She wrote:

I should write up a full post on it, but the main differences in schedule that I see are 1) In France, Sundays are really dedicated to family time. No visiting your neighbors. No errands or shopping (in fact, almost every store is closed). No parties or non-family gatherings. And 2) Extra-curricular activities like sports and lessons are typically held mostly on Wednesdays, because there’s no school that day (and only half day schools for the teenagers). This means Saturdays are quite open for most families. We usually used ours to work around the house or take a road trip.

As I continue to think about how to slow down my own family’s weeks, this has given me lots to think about!

— 6 —

Tomorrow we’re going to the housewarming party for the new convent of the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist (whose amazing album is blowing up the Billboard Classical charts). My daughters and I are helping run the dessert table with their American Heritage Girls troop. Then, next Saturday, I get to hang out with Grace.

It’s almost too much awesomeness for one seven-day period.

— 7 —

I’m short on time. How about a picture of a cat in a box? (Yet another benefit of my strict no-lids policy.)

7qt233 cat 7 Quick Takes about personality theme songs, Fall, fruitcake, and cats in boxes

————————-

160 Responses to “7 Quick Takes about personality theme songs, Fall, fruitcake, and cats in boxes”
  1. Melody says:

I get the song you suggest for the INTP – it feels of an epic journey; a persevering marathon; lifting beakers and gazing into their contents; and throwing one’s head back in mad laughter (but for a noble cause, of course). Great choice. The first one that came to my mind, though (I am also an INTP), was Bohemian Rhapsody (not so much the words as the sound). Maybe that’s the war between my F and my T.

2. Hmm, for ENTJ (mine), may I suggest “For Once and For All” from Newsies?

Once and for all, something tells me the tide’ll be turnin’
    Once and for all, there’s a fire inside me that won’t stop burnin’
    Now that the choices are clear, now that tomorrow is here
    Watch how the mighty will fall, for once and for all

This is for kids shinin’ shoes in the street
    With no shoes on their feet every day
    This is for guys sweatin’ blood in the shops
    While the bosses and cops look away

This is to even the score
    This ain’t just Newsies no more
    This ain’t just kids with some pie in the sky
    This is do it or die, this is war

Leah @ Unequally Yoked recently posted..“Use every man after his desert, and who should ‘scape whipping?”

3. I’m INFP- very strong on the I and F…maybe “To Dream the Impossible Dream”? but then, after singing, get into bed and read a book for awhile…that song was exhausting… ;)
    priest’s wife (@byzcathwife) recently posted..more summer memories- quick takes

• NOW I get it- Jen and I are different just by my “F” and her “T”- that’s why I am never thrilled with her computer detail notes and schedules and stuff…she’s the ‘thinker’- I’m the ‘idealist’
      priest’s wife (@byzcathwife) recently posted..more summer memories- quick takes

• elizabethe says:

I’m an INFP as well. The song that flashed to me was “The Scientist” by Coldplay.

But you have to imagine he’s talking about not another person but about the internal tension between wonderful beauty of the idealistic visions of the INFP and the impossibility or insurmountability of putting those visions and dreams into place. INFP is one of the most rare types, IIRC. I would not wish it on anyone.

Come up to meet you, tell you I’m sorry
        You don’t know how lovely you are
        I had to find you, tell you I need you
        Tell you I set you apart

Tell me your secrets and ask me your questions
        Oh, let’s go back to the start
        Running in circles, chasing our tails
        Heads on a science apart

Nobody said it was easy
        It’s such a shame for us to part
        Nobody said it was easy
        No one ever said it would be this hard
        Oh, take me back to the start

I was just guessing at numbers and figures
        Pulling your puzzles apart
        Questions of science, science and progress
        Don’t speak as loud as my heart

Tell me you love me, come back and haunt me
        Oh and I rush to the start
        Running in circles, chasing our tails
        Coming back as we are

Nobody said it was easy
        Oh, it’s such a shame for us to part
        Nobody said it was easy
        No one ever said it would be so hard
        I’m going back to the start

I have a great appreciation for Jen’s T. I love reading about it. I just don’t want to do it.

• Michelle says:

It’s interesting that you say that. I waver between INFJ and IFNP and thought of Coldplay right away. I was leaning toward Viva La Vida, but that might be the INFJ coming out. The Scientist definitely resonates with me too.

• elizabethe says:

Yes, there is something about the longing quality of all of Coldplay’s songs that just feels right. It’s sort of hopeful hopelessness.

I think Vida la Vida IS the J coming out! I’m a strong P, I never have the feeling that I had ever achieved that completion of “ruling the world” as the song says. For that song to be an INFP song it would have to say, I used to WANT to rule the world.” There’s never a completion of a vision, just discarding it for a new one.

I like the Scientist for the INFP esp. for the line “Questions of science, science and progress, don’t speak as loud as my heart.” It really captures the F but also the recognition of the striving for grandness (scientific progress). And creating a place above it all where you sit and gaze at the world and really strive to understand and be understood. “Tell me your secrets and ask me your questions” “I set you apart.”

I realize my sentence in my above comment didn’t make sense. I meant to say, you have to imagine the song is not talking to another person, but to the idealistic vision of the moment. Being an INFP is like having a series of very intense but doomed love affairs with one idealistic dream after another. And those dreams never truly fade away but continue to haunt you throughout your entire life.

And clearly I majored in the wrong thing in school. I should have become a psych major with a focus in Meyers-Briggs studies.

• Ann says:

Yes!!! Fellow INFP and I second the Coldplay! “The Scientist” has been a long time favorite!

• Kara says:

I also agree with “the scientist” suggestion as an INFP! I would also go for “Dreamers” by Jack Savoretti and “somewhere Only We Know” by Keane.

• I love Coldplay but had never heard that song. I LOVE it. And it really does help me understand what it must be like in INFP world. :)

• Cléo says:

Just what I thought!

• Lori says:

I Love “The Impossible Dream” for us INFPs … also, how about “The Logical Song” by Supertramp?

There are times when all the world’s asleep
      The questions run too deep for such a simple man
      Won’t you please, please tell me what we’ve learned
      I know it sounds absurd, but please tell me who I am…

• elizabethe says:

Also, Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls. “I don’t want the world to see me, cuz I don’t think that they’s understand, when everything’s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am.”

• caroline says:

Yes! I’m INFP and am loving this whole discussion. Makes me want to start an INFP support group. Well not really, but it’s fun to imagine. ;-)

• Cléo says:

Yay, the fellowship of the INFP’s! I tested as ISFP – but only 1% towards S more than N – and can relate to all of the songs above. Will think of another one during the day…

• INFP, so yes–that song was exhausting! Love it!
      Brian Sullivan recently posted..PZ Myers On the Good Life

4. Jenna says:

It’s funny you should ask about songs that reflect our personality type, because just a few days ago a friend shared a song on my Facebook page and I commented, “I think this song was written about me.”

The song is called “Try” by Blue Rodeo and it’s about a woman who is spontaneous, changeable and yet melancholic/introverted… a weird combination.

“Every time you walk in the room / Could never be sure to smile / You were never the same way twice.”

I did the test for the first time and I am an ISFP — the most outgoing or spontaneous of all the introverts.

So I think the song fits!

• Jenna says:

I changed my mind. I was playing the song “My Inner Ninja” by Classified while using the computer, and my husband, who I had asked what *his* theme song was, said “Now THAT is your song.” And I think he’s right.

• Esther says:

OH MY GOSH. I am an ISFP and this is PERFECT!!! Thank you [and your husband] for telling me about this AWESOME SONG!!

5. Hanne says:

Fruitcake is evil.

The France thing is true, btw. Sundays in Western Europe are mainly spend with family!

6. Our 7-year-old loves the Dominican Sister of Mary, and we look forward to attending!
    Adam Introvert recently posted..7 Quick Takes Friday – Vol. 39

7. Considerer says:

Hey, hey, hey – fruitcake is AWESOME! Find yourself a good recipe for a Dundee cake (it’s beautiful, too – concentric circles of whole almonds on top – delicious!) and try a wedge with a few slices of crumbly, tangy Wensleydale cheese. (yes, have them together in the same mouthful). It’s a taste sensation, and one which has been enjoyed (particularly in the North) in England for many decades.
    Considerer recently posted..7 Quick Takes 45 x FTSF

8. Re: mixing rap and country, I think that Cruise is actually a good example of why those two genres do not work together! Every time that song comes on the radio, I get sick to my stomach. Am I alone?
    Mary @ St Henry II recently posted..7 Quick Takes Friday

9. Kelly M. says:

I’m an ENFJ and I’d have to say, ‘Man In The Mirror’ by Michael Jackson.
    Kelly M. recently posted..Exposing Pre-Phase Three Syndrome

10. Liz says:

My husband and I are big fans of the show Justified, set in Kentucky. The theme song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff2-bTMdOU4) is done by a group called…..Gangstagrass. Enough said. I kinda love it.

11. I love Fridays on your blog and I keep meaning to join in the fun, but then I forget to come up with 7 things by Friday!

I’ll have to try harder because this really is fun and it is something I look forward to reading on your blog each week.

God bless!
    Julie @ Connecticut Catholic Corner recently posted..My Issues with Pope Francis

12. christine says:

I know there are better, but the only song that my brain could come up with this morning is a Sandra Boynton song (yes, the children’s author) called BusyBusyBusy (on the Philadelphia Chickens album). That is what it is like in my head. I’m ENFP, by the way.

Sounds like you have a fun week coming up. Enjoy!
    christine recently posted..Pig Escape Caught on Tape!!!

13. Erin says:

Struggling mightily not to sound rude and/or go on a crusade to correct your personality misunderstandings. MB has the basics right, but taken as a whole it has some major flaws. I set the link to my business blog, but it’s still in its infancy. You are welcome to contact me for more info or a discussion. BTW- I thought you were INTJ… was that a self-correction or a typo?

• Caroline M. says:

Personality tests are flawed of course, and MB is ancient, so there’s a lack of more recent research there. I also distrust IQ tests. My dad is a special-ed teacher, and he never looks at the IQ scores of his students because it would influence his teaching. He says that typically they can accomplish more than the IQ test would indicate.
      Caroline M. recently posted..Seven Quick Takes: Favorite Childhood Poems

• Erin says:

I agree that nothing is perfect, esp IQ tests. That’s what I like about the Keirsey personality method: It’s always growing and takes things as more of a whole with some distinctions rather than a bunch of parts or a type you can define with a paragraph. And as an NT, I am always refining my ideas and obsessed with clarity, so I want desperately to help Jen and others get it right (better), but don’t want to come across as a total witch. My only comfort is that knowing Jen’s personality, she probably understands!

14. Melissa says:

The secret to fruitcake is BRANDY! My brother-in-law makes fruitcake every year for the rest of the family. He starts right after Halloween making the fruitcakes, wraps it in cheesecloth, and covers it tightly. Each week until Christmas, he pours brandy over it. Most of the alcohol evaporates during this time, but it leaves behind the flavor. The final dose doesnt’ really have time to evaporate, so you do get a good kick from each bite of fruitcake. That is the way fruitcake is meant to be eaten!!

15. “That started us on a debate about whether fruitcake can ever be good, wherein I admitted that I had never tasted one that I enjoyed, but pointed out that the popularity of the dish must indicate that it is possible to make a delicious fruitcake. Joe held firm, saying that, just like with songs that try to combine rap and country, not in the history of the earth has there ever been a decent fruitcake. – See more at: http://www.conversiondiary.com/2013/09/7-quick-takes-about-personality-theme-songs-fall-fruitcake-and-cats-in-boxes.html#comments

I am reminded for some reason of Lewis Black’s “Candy Corn” routine. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find the full length video of just that set of jokes, so you’ll have to settle for this:

Another Hopeful Pessimist recently posted..What Did the Pope Really Say?

16. Megan Marie says:

I’m an INFP and the one that I was thinking of was, When Will My Life Begin from Tangled. It just seems to fit because I’ve never really “left”. I’m going to college locally and living at home. I’ve never been on my own…now that is not to say that I don’t have a life, because I (think I) do! I love my life, but at the end of the day, when I’ve been around tons of people (which quite frankly, it’s exhausting) I’d rather just come home, and curl up with a book.
    Megan Marie recently posted..7 Quick Takes: 9/20/13

• elizabethe says:

This is good too! I’ve never seen this movie. There is definitely a feeling of being isolated to being an INFP. It’s weird, I have a rapunzel statuette that is one of my treasured items from a family member.

Belle’s song from Beauty and the Beast is good, too for the INFP, she longs for an idealistic dream of adventure and also understanding. “For once it might be grand, to have someone understand, I want so much more than they’ve got planned.” That’s an INFP right there in a single line.

• Erin says:

My sister is an INFP and that song is perfect for her. The B&B one is good, too.

17. Jules says:

Two years ago I was helping with RCIA and was the facilitator for a small group of people thinking of joining. My group had a knack for changing subjects as often as possible, to the point I worried I’d get fired from my volunteer job someday. They made up for it by demanding time out of class to go to Adoration. We had been discussing various end time beliefs for a few minutes when one of the guys randomly switched the topic to nuns. Which naturally led to monks, and then the fruitcakes they make. We then went on to flying monkeys, but if you are interested in trying out what most around here would call a decent fruitcake, my group would recommend the Assumption Abbey Bakery. http://www.trappistmonks.com/
    Jules recently posted..Slow Down

18. Kyra says:

Bad fruitcake is dreadful. Good fruitcake is a lot of yummy dried fruit soaked in sherry or brandy, baked in a spicy cake, soaked again with booze, and then eaten. It’s dark, moist, sweet and sour, and very alcoholic. I make mine with lots of dried cherries (not candied!) and candied ginger. I am now tempted to send you some this Christmas. I have converted a lot of fruitcake-haters…

• I think fruitcake is something you either like or don’t. :) I don’t like dry fruitcake and I don’t like cakes soaked in booze, so I just write the whole thing off as something unfathomable and Not Worth The Calores. ;)
      Kathleen Basi recently posted..7 Quick Takes

• elizabethe says:

I agree with you. I don’t like fruitcake not because I haven’t had a “good” one, but because I’m not a fan of the concept. I just don’t like nuts and dried fruits in my baked goods.

I hate nuts in brownies so much so that I simply will not eat them. I hate oatmeal raisin cookies (oatmeal with chocolate chips is another story). I hate hate hate it when people put raisins in a perfectly good cinnamon roll. It’s almost a category error for me. If I want to eat fruit and nuts, I’ll eat fruit and nuts. If I want a piece of cake, it’s a totally different food item.

• Kyra says:

This is true. I should modify my statement. My MiL has had good fruitcake and she doesn’t like it. She doesn’t like mincemeat pie or plum pudding either. It’s a very dark, spicy, sweet and sour medieval-type dessert. Lots of people don’t like it because they’ve only had the commercial brick-type, but it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

More for me. :)

• Caroline M. says:

Yep, the booze is key. Most people have fruitcake that’s dried up, and course that’s terrible.
      Caroline M. recently posted..Seven Quick Takes: Favorite Childhood Poems

• Melanie B says:

You can send me one if you want. ;)
      Melanie B recently posted..With the Dignity of a Queen

19. Wendy says:

I love my mother’s fruitcake!!! It is never the same as she doesn’t use a reciepe, ever.

Rap and country is as bad as peanut butter and shoepolish mixed together.

I am a ISFJ. I have no song. Any suggestions?

• Judy says:

I’m ISFJ too and as soon as I saw this challenge, I was like “think think think!” I will not rest until I find a song, and since I read about this personality type as soon as the test told me what I am, I know that my reaction to the challenge is totally in character!
      Judy recently posted..7 Quick Takes: September 20

20. Lynne says:

I’m still back on yesterday, because I mistakenly read some of the youtube discussion comments about you. The venomous spew actually frightened me. How do you deal with that? All because you believe in God and tell others that they can believe too?

You talk about the MB personality stuff enough that now I am obliged to take the quiz and find a matching song. Which reminds me, I do like Florida-Georgia Line but I despise rap and I have had a fruitcake that was everything a fruitcake, in theory, should be–moist, dense, spicy and devoid of brightly colored candied fruit-like pieces. This one had real fruit; what kind is a mystery. I’ve been looking for a recipe ever since.

Going back to your facebook question, The Dominican Sisters were the highlight of my fb experience. I had the happy fortune to “like” their page, which brought me daily snapshots of young, smiling nuns living a most wonderful life. It was immensely reassuring and gave me much hope.

21. You know, the conservative Christian community is always bashing Europe for its a) socialism, b) secularism, c) lax attitude toward sex and the body. So it’s especially striking to me to see this so much more family-friendly cultural norm, combined with and enabled by a very traditional approach to scheduling and family. Maybe we need to climb down off our self-proclaimed pedestal.
    Kathleen Basi recently posted..7 Quick Takes

22. Delena says:

HAHA! So great! I’m loving reading all of the songs people are coming up with! Still waiting to find a fellow ESFP-er out there! I keep seeing a LOT of introverts in the blogging world which I find fascinating! Someone explained that blogging is a way for introverts to interact with people without really having to interact with people! :-) The extrovert in me likes blogging to interact with people, but yet I want to know every single detail about the people’s lives! :-)

Thanks for the shout-out! Looking forward to reading more in the comments box!
    Delena recently posted..Seven Quick Takes Friday

• Delana,
      Yes, the great thing about blogging for those of us who are Introverts, is that we can close the computer and walk away when it all gets a little too much for us. It is a bit like being able to have friendships without the actual energy-drain of having to meet everyone in person for a cup of coffee and a chat.
      TheReluctantWidow recently posted..Chaos in My Mind

• Ashlee says:

I’m looking through for ESFP’s too. I can’t think of a song, but was hoping someone else had a great one. :)

23. So excited the Sisters are opening their convent – they are such a joy! I love their Non-Discernment retreat they host here. As for Texas High School Football, God speed. I’ll be honest, the image I have pop into my head is from the movie, but I remember the crazy intensity. Can’t wait to hear more about that adventure! :)
    Rakhi @ The Pitter Patter Diaries recently posted..SQT: Zoolander, Risky Business, Robin Thicke & Embracing Grace

24. David Meyer says:

We INFP’s are always drawn to you NT types. Here is our theme song accompanied by ammusing images:

25. Christine says:

As an INTJ, I would more likely to write my own song rather than being constrained by something already written…(It’s a curse, really.)

26. #2 – I am an INTP as well and my theme song would normally be something like what you posted Jen. Something out of the Lord of the Rings soundtrack, or maybe a Loreena McKenitt. Something sweeping and swells of great hope but peaceful too.

However, life has a way of making “normal” change. I actually downloaded Kelly Clarkson’s song “Stronger” because that is the theme of my life right now. “Whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger…” When I feel overwhelmed by the task of life before me, I sing that song in my head, get pumped up, and head into the battle fray. Interestingly, the image of myself I always have in my head is of life being some team’s left tackle and I am a huge defensive lineman that is going to TAKE THAT GUY OUT. So maybe the way your family rolls (re: football) isn’t so unusual after all. It might be a personality thing.
    TheReluctantWidow recently posted..Chaos in My Mind

27. elizabethe says:

My fall is going great. We joined a once a week co-op that is so perfect. It’s as though someone went into my head and created it just for me. It’s a Classical Catholic co-op where you drop the kids off and you don’t have to co-teach or anything like that. (You just volunteer a few days throughout the year to help with shuttling the kids throughout the day). I have one whole day all to myself!

And we are looking at the end of the endless rounds of house projects we’ve been doing. In two weeks we’ll have almost everything done! I’m so excited because we’ll get a new built-in bookshelf in the homeschool room (which was too small to put another piece of furniture in) so I’ll have a place for all the homeschool books. I see order and calm on the horizon. Of course, then we’ll probably have to move, but I intend to enjoy it as much as possible until then.

28. Caroline M. says:

Listen, country and rap can totally go together. Look up “Nappy Roots” (if you can deal with a little cussing). Po’ Folks, Sick and Tired, Good Day, and especially Back Home. It’s more wholesome than a lot of rap (I know, low standard), and definitely down-home. They’re from Kentucky and represent their roots instead of trying to be urban, which they’re not. Good stuff.
    Caroline M. recently posted..Seven Quick Takes: Favorite Childhood Poems

29. BobTanaka says:

INTJ

I’d have to go with “The Impossible Dream” for my personality song: idealistic defiance, the desire to do great things, and fierce independence taking the form of a devotion to higher laws supplanting mere conventions.

And the absolute best version of the song, for my money, is Jim Nabors’ rendition in that one episode of “Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C.” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJlgio-UOng&feature=player_embedded

30. Cecilia says:

What about “Dirt Road” by Jason Aldean? As far as country/rap goes, it’s pretty good.

31. Kim F. says:

First off, IT’S NOT FALL YET!!!!! Not until Sunday. (Even though it definitely feels like it here in NH). Second, I haven’t taken the personality test since college and can’t remember what the results were but I’m thinking I’m definitely not an ESFP or INTP. I couldn’t make it past the first few seconds of either song! I did see several people mention Coldplay in the comments. Maybe I can just figure out my personality by the band I like best? I’d rather not take a boring test.

• elizabethe says:

You’re probably not an INFP. LOL! One of the INFP’s missions is to understand himself perfectly. There is no cheesy personality test I will not take.

32. Erika Evans says:

INTJ here—wait, music? Who has time for that when you can be listening to podcasts and absorbing/integrating information? Heh : )

• Jenny says:

Hahahahahah yessssssss, fellow INTJ here. Laura Ingraham in the morning, Dave Ramsey over the lunch hour, and a little NPR all things considered in the early evening hours. Though I did think “We Will Rock You” might be a contender for our ballad.
      Jenny recently posted..7 Thrift Takes

33. Erika Evans says:

Oh, and re: Texas football–my son, at 3, is just a wee bit too young yet (but just a wee bit!) but his 7 year old sister wanted to join the the youth football cheerleading league in the WORST way. When we found out that practices would be two hours daily for two straight weeks in August, then twice-weekly practices during the week, and up to 2 hours one way travel every Saturday from September through the end of DECEMBER, we had to shut that down. At least when he’s older if he really wants to play his sisters will be starting to leave for college so we might actually have the time available to let him!

34. Laura M says:

I’m an ISTJ (am I the only one in here?) I can’t dedicate as much time right now to the quest of a song as it requires, so I’m going to go the teenage melodramatic way and say “Welcome to my life” by Simple Plan

35. Therese G. says:

I’m an INFJ. “Helplessness Blues” by Fleet Foxes is pretty nearly perfect.

Therese G. recently posted..Seven Quick Takes

• Elizabeth says:

As a fellow INFJ I love this! Thanks for sharing.

• Diane says:

Another INFJ’er here. I would never be so bold as to suggest a song for ALL of us but I have always loved Leonard Cohen’s “Sisters of Mercy.”

• Sarah says:

Nice to see there are a couple more INFJs out there. Enjoyed the song, thanks!

• Bonnie says:

Here’s another INFJ (although my F is only 14%; as I get older I am either getting more rigid or I’m seeing the advantage of the T way of looking at things. :-) Like the song Helpless Blues, and LOVE the graphic on the video! I LOVE that kind of art. As for a song that “fits” maybe Simon and Garfunkel’s – Bridge Over Troubled Waters

36. Sarah says:

I agree that combining rap and country is like making fruitcake, except that I feel a little differently about what that means: it’s either really, really good or absolutely intolerable.

By the way, I don’t like most fruitcake, but the fruitcake recipe on the underside of the Paradise candied fruit labels is good. I skip the liquor and watch it carefully when it’s baking (it takes a few hours), and it turns out to be so moist and nice. Also, it does well as fruitcake cupcakes.

37. Wow, I can’t think of a song for my type (ENTJ). It figures…I’m pretty boring. :)

I don’t know if I could function in a slower environment — i would find some way to fill the time. I am not sure what that says about me.

Have a great weekend, Jen!
    Michelle @ Endless Strength recently posted..7 Quick Takes – 62

38. ENFP would have to be We Are Young by Fun. Hanging out with friends, promising to carry your friend home/knowing a friend will carry you home, SET THE WORLD ON FIRE (we are natural activist/inspirers/idealists, holes in my apology (we’ll say anything to make things okay between friends), living life to the fullest in the moment (“but our friends are back, so let’s raise a glass!”). Yes. This is us.

Runner-up would be Ariel in The Little Mermaid – Part of Your World. ENFPs love to be ALL UP in your business. It might look like nosiness, but really, it’s love. :D
    Megan at SortaCrunchy recently posted..aMfM: art and pain and urgency and relief

• LPatter says:

I have been scrolling and scrolling for a fellow ENFP!! (Not in your business at all…) I like it. I am so dorky, so I told Delena The Hills Are Alive, because I am SO MUCH LIKE MARIA!!! And so easily inspired. I also love the Audrey Assad song where she sings “my little heart, my little heart, is ringing like a bell!” :) Glad to find you on here!

• Delena says:

Aw! You found your person! :-) I’m still scrolling and looking for another ESFP! :-) There’s GOT to be one out there! And when I DO find her, we’re going to best friends, drink lots of gin and tonics, and dance together. I just KNOW it. :-)
        Delena recently posted..Seven Quick Takes Friday

• KyCat says:

Megan – I do love you!! I was feeling overwhelmed by the prospect and then I read your suggestions and immediately said YES! Well done! I am going to add The Cave by Mumford and Sons just because “’cause I need freedom now, and I need to know how to live my life as its meant to be”

39. greyhound says:

I slide between INFJ and INFP depending on the year, but when I’m in a full INFP mood (and you INFPers know what I’m talking about) nothing is better than Vienna Teng’s “Recessional” and in particular this live version:

40. ENFP: “The more we get together, together, together, the more we get together, the happier we’ll be. Cause my friends are your friends and your friends are my friends, the more we get together the happier we’ll be!”
    Emily Goldberg recently posted..Words in my head today.

41. Hannah says:

I am a HUGE fan of fruitcake. All kinds. I have to stop myself from buying it at stores. I also wish the pace of our life was slower. My husband and I both work full-time plus part-time teaching gigs and I always feel like we are in rush…rush to get home from work…rush to make dinner…rush to get the toddler to bed…rush to get SOMETHING done around the house..
    Hannah recently posted..7 Takes, 2013.27

42. Kathryn says:

See you tomorrow at the open house – bring your rain boots! I may have to side with Joe on this one, rap and country just don’t belong together, says the Texas panhandle girl ;)
    Kathryn recently posted..7 Quick Takes: A Wing and a Prayer

43. Katie says:

I’m an ISFJ. One website said that we like to think that the world is still good and kind. Mr. Blue Sky by ELO is a fitting theme song for us, I think!

44. Kimberlee R says:

Ha! My son played Pop Warner football for 5 years and yes, you’ve described it perfectly. I thought our coach was the only one who grudgingly cancelled practice under threat of lightning. Definitely not soccer but he loved it and I wouldn’t trade the experience for anything. Football is a big family — nothing else like it.

45. Thanks for linking to the Mater Eucharistae album! Have downloaded it and will enjoy it very much as I prepare for choir starting up again in a couple of weeks.

I also loved the item on family time in France. This summer has been a whirlwind and I realised that I have not had very much time to spend, one-on-one, with my spouse. We’ll be taking care of that this fall!
    Janet in Toronto recently posted..Seven Quick Takes – Getting my groove back

46. Paula says:

ESTJ . . . Um . . . . I just listen to music – lyrics don’t ‘stick’ with me . . .

• Jamie says:

I had a hard time with this one too. What comes to mind is Jimmy Soul’s- If You Want to Be Happy. It appeals to my highly practical and also opinionated nature. Plus the upbeat happiness of the song works with my dancey E qualities :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7myjFBwDlIk

“If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife. So in my personal point of view, get an ugly girl to marry you.”

47. Jesabes says:

I’m definitely with Joe on the country-rap. My husband likes the Nelly remix of Cruise, but I think it’s awful. They took a perfectly good song and screwed it up!

48. Dorian Speed says:

It bothers me that nobody from the ENTP world has responded yet, so I am just going to assume that we are all reading this and thinking “this is not a reasonable request! How could I narrow this down to ONE song? What would be the most efficient system for evaluating all possible songs? WAIT – does it have to be a song? What about a poem? Let’s talk this out…”
    Dorian Speed recently posted..Seven Quick Takes: Airing My Laundry

49. CarolHS says:

Our local grocery store used to have a certain fruit cake available in the fall that was delicious. But then, it was a rum fruit cake, and that probably made a difference.

50. Kris Chatfield says:

Love the Florida Georgia Line song – your husband is wrong…! :) Love the comment about European weekends. I always feel exhausted after our weekends. We have 4 boys, all playing sports. So, you know. That’s our “family” time. My husband and I always laugh because if it appears that a weekend will be rainy, we’re always high-fiving each other when soccer gets cancelled. So here we are, paying all this money for outdoor sports, and we’re so excited when there isn’t a game. Go figure. My two older boys played football in middle school, but have given it up for water polo, which is super competitive, but an infinitely better sport!! I do NOT miss football. Although I love watching it. We’ll see what the younger two decide to do….

51. Jenny says:

I thought good and hard, and I think my theme song might be “We Will Rock You” by Queen. I don’t even like it that much, but I think it basically lists the INTJ traits set to music…
    Jenny recently posted..7 Thrift Takes

52. Madeline says:

#2 – Putting ENFJ to music? Interesting!
    I immediately thought of the character Giselle from “Enchanted.” I suppose the actual lyrics of “Happy Working Song” make more sense for ENFJ – she is thinking about the well-being of others, and is inspiring new friends (even vermin) to help her out. However, even though the lyrics of “That’s How You Know” don’t really reveal ENFJ personality, Giselle’s motivation to sing is to help Patrick Dempsey’s relationship with his girlfriend, and the scene of Giselle enchanting strangers in Central Park to sing and dance along with her is sooo ENFJ.
    Happy Working Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb2si7fClqA
    That’s How You Know: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7Z8IdVwK5Y

#3 – Challenge accepted! Exhibit A: GANGSTAGRASS
    The combo of bluegrass and rap sounds very strange and jarring for the first 30 seconds, but their music is strangely addictive! Of course a group like this can only thrive in Brooklyn, NY…

53. Maia says:

No clue on a song, but now I’ll be spending the next several days trying to figure it all the while being so forgetful that I can’t remember what I am and so lazy that I won’t take the test.
    Maia recently posted..7 Quick Takes, from the couch

54. LeAnna says:

It’s so true about the pace of life in Europe compared to North America, and I’ve only experienced it in the UK where everyone complains that they’re way overworked compared to those on the Continent. Most stores have really reduced hours on Sunday, the working day is less, and there is so much vacation time. I can’t speak about kiddie routines yet as ours are still too little. But I dread the thought of having to return to North American working life after my experience here. I find I do a better job at work because I’m not so constantly exhausted from working long hours and not having much in the way of holiday time.
    LeAnna recently posted..7 Quick Takes – Mostly Kids and then a Recipe – Vol. 13

55. Bonnie says:

Looks like your cat is an introvert too! (Finds a place for a little refreshing solitude out of sight of romping kids but within earshot of a running can opener!)

56. Well, I like Gregorian chant and opera mixed up with techno, so I won’t fault anyone for mixing country and rap. ;)

ISFJ here, which translates to Keirsey as “protector guardian.” Which means that if we like you–and we like pretty much everybody–we will gladly knock ourselves out to make sure you’re happy and have everything you need.

On account of which, I’d probably choose The Pretenders’ “I’ll Stand By You” as a theme song. Taylor Swift’s/The Civil Wars’ “Safe and Sound” also works rather well. But I like the above suggestion of a happy-go-lucky song like ELO’s “Mr. Blue Sky”, too.

Also, I like fruitcake. I do!
    Jenna St. Hilaire recently posted..Aesthetic Restfulness and other stories

57. GeekLady says:

INTJ… no lyrics here though. Just Wagner’s Ride of the Valkyries.

Now, website commentary: After looking at your header a couple times, I think it what would improve it would be to have your arms showing so your picture looks like you were leaning on the top off the orange bar.
    GeekLady recently posted..7 Quick Takes – Revenge of Misc. Edition

58. Judy says:

Hi, I’m ISFJ. I found a good song! Pink’s “Glitter in the Air” has always taken me to a different world when I hear it. I read the lyrics and they are very identifiable for me. Fellow ISFJ-ers, do you agree? [note, sorry for the video link, it was the only performance I could find and her costume is a little hmmm].
    Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3stsDXki__U
    Lyrics: Have you ever fed a lover with just your hands?
    Close your eyes and trust it, just trust it
    Have you ever thrown a fist full of glitter in the air?
    Have you ever looked fear in the face and said I just don’t care?

It’s only half past the point of no return
    The tip of the iceberg, the sun before the burn
    The thunder before lightning, the breath before the phrase
    Have you ever felt this way?

Have you ever hated yourself for staring at the phone?
    Your whole life waiting on the ring to prove you’re not alone
    Have you ever been touched so gently you had to cry?
    Have you ever invited a stranger to come inside?

It’s only half past the point of oblivion
    The hourglass on the table, the walk before the run
    The breath before the kiss and the fear before the flames
    Have you ever felt this way?

La, la, la, la, la, la, la, la
    There you are, sitting in the garden
    Clutching my coffee, calling me sugar
    You called me sugar

Have you ever wished for an endless night?
    Lassoed the moon and the stars and pulled that rope tight
    Have you ever held your breath and asked yourself
    Will it ever get better than tonight? Tonight
    Judy recently posted..7 Quick Takes: September 20

59. Marcy K. says:

I took the personality test and was very disappointed. I read the results and thought “that isn’t me at all.” So I must have done something wrong. I still like the “Personality Plus” books. I think they are much more fun.

About fruitcake. I personally have never tried fruitcake because everyone has said it is so bad, and those weird artificially colored fruits are a big turnoff. I figured there must be some fruitcake somewhere though that is good, because so many people do eat it. I know there are monks that make fruitcake, and if you Google it you get three monasteries that make fruitcake. It looks really good, but is pretty pricey. https://www.gethsemanifarms.org/fruitcake.aspx

60. Leslie says:

From a fellow INTP, Thank You for that song. I got lost in it. Perfect!

61. #3-My husband and I listened to the song you mentioned, and it seems to work okay. The lyrics are clearly country. My husband said it was interesting. My first thought when reading #3 was the joke about what you get if you play a country song backwards: you get your wife back, your dog back, your truck back, your house back. I guess if you played a song that’s country and rap backwards, you’d have everything coming back to you 4X as fast.
    #5-In college, studied abroad for a year in Paris, France, and what I missed most was going to Mass with my family and lots of people I knew. Going to Mass on my own was pretty much guaranteed to make me cry pretty much every time I went. I had a lovely older couple as my host parents, and they were gone a lot on the weekends, so I felt pretty lonely and missed my family quite a bit. Life is different in Europe, and I can understand someone having trouble getting used to the hectic pace of life in America after living there for a time. I would really love it if American companies embraced several weeks of paid vacation, a shorter work-week, and longer maternity leave like France has!
    Trisha Niermeyer Potter recently posted..7 Quick Takes Friday (Vol. 120)

62. Pam says:

ENFJ?? Only 2% of the population? And alined with the same personality as Barak Obama?

“Part of Your World” from the Little Mermaid :) And I have red hair ;)

63. J.R. Baldwin says:

ISFJ – “Wonder” by Natalie Merchant :)

64. Amy says:

ENFJ here, and I really hate to rain on the other ENFJs up there, but I totally think our theme song is “Applause” by Lady Gaga. Not going to link to the video because good night nurse. Seriously not suitable for this blog, but here are the lyrics:

I stand here waiting for you to bang the gong
    To crash the critic saying, “Is it right or is it wrong?”
    If only fame had an I.V., baby could I bear
    Being away from you, I found the vein, put it in here

I live for the applause, applause, applause
    I live for the applause-plause
    Live for the applause-plause
    Live for the way that you cheer and scream for me
    The applause, applause, applause

Give me that thing that I love (I’ll turn the lights on)
    Put your hands up, make ‘em touch, touch (make it real loud)
    Give me that thing that I love (I’ll turn the lights on)
    Put your hands up, make ‘em touch, touch (make it real loud)

(A-P-P-L-A-U-S-E) Make it real loud
    (A-P-P-L-A-U-S-E) Put your hands up, make ‘em touch, touch
    (A-P-P-L-A-U-S-E) Make it real loud
    (A-P-P-L-A-U-S-E) Put your hands up, make ‘em touch, touch

[Verse 2:]
    I’ve overheard your theory “nostalgia’s for geeks”
    I guess sir, if you say so, some of us just like to read
    One second I’m a Koons, then suddenly the Koons is me
    Pop culture was in art, now art’s in pop culture in me

I live for the applause, applause, applause
    I live for the applause-plause
    Live for the applause-plause
    Live for the way that you cheer and scream for me
    The applause, applause, applause

Give me that thing that I love (I’ll turn the lights on)
    Put your hands up, make ‘em touch, touch (make it real loud)
    Give me that thing that I love (I’ll turn the lights on)
    Put your hands up, make ‘em touch, touch (make it real loud)

(A-P-P-L-A-U-S-E) Make it real loud
    (A-P-P-L-A-U-S-E) Put your hands up, make ‘em touch, touch
    (A-P-P-L-A-U-S-E) Make it real loud
    (A-P-P-L-A-U-S-E) Put your hands up, make ‘em touch, touch

[Bridge:]
    Touch, touch
    Touch, touch now
    Ooh-ooh-ooh-hoo
    Ooh-ooh-ooh-hoo
    Ooh-ooh-ooh-hoo
    Ooh-ooh

I live for the applause, applause, applause
    I live for the applause-plause
    Live for the applause-plause
    Live for the way that you cheer and scream for me.
    The applause, applause, applause

Give me that thing that I love (I’ll turn the lights on)
    Put your hands up, make ‘em touch, touch (make it real loud)
    Give me that thing that I love (I’ll turn the lights on)
    Put your hands up, make ‘em touch, touch (make it real loud)

(A-P-P-L-A-U-S-E) Make it real loud
    (A-P-P-L-A-U-S-E) Put your hands up, make ‘em touch (make it real loud)
    (A-P-P-L-A-U-S-E) Make it real loud
    (A-P-P-L-A-U-S-E) Put your hands up, make ‘em touch, touch

A-R-T-P-O-P

65. Hannah Sadar says:

Wow, I listened to that song, and now I want to be in your head. That music was epic…
    Hannah Sadar recently posted..On Modesty Wars and Shirtless Guys

• Amy says:

Well, Hannah, the good thing about us ENFJs is that we are overjoyed to tell you what it’s like to be in our heads. Mostly, it’s all about reading the personalities in the room and then figuring out how to bring the fun in a manner that *all* the personalities can enjoy. Which, of course, usually means being the center of attention because that gives everyone something to laugh at and, you got it, applaud. It’s pretty much always a party in my head, and when it’s not, I find people to go out and entertain so that it *becomes* a party. Huzzah!

And yes, the music is totally epic. I actually haven’t been able to stop listening to it. Really helps get the bathroom scrubbed. I just imagine all my peeps coming into the bathroom and breaking out in a slow clap for how spotless that toilet is. It fuels the zeal for a clean commode. Lol.

66. AnnT says:

I’m an INFP. Have you listened to “awake my soul” by Mumford and Sons. Its a beautiful balance between the struggles of our interior life and the fulfillment of what we are created for. I feel this song intensely :)

67. Emily says:

I’m an INTJ, and I was going to agree with the earlier comment suggesting we write our own song because no song in existence is likely to be truly accurate. (Gotta come up with the perfect solution, right?) But then I saw GeekLady’s vote for Ride of the Valkyries, re-listened to it, and laughed out loud. It’s perfect. All far-reaching and all-encompassing and marching relentlessly forward and mastermindy.
    Emily recently posted..seven quick takes friday – ed. 5

68. Lynne says:

What does it say about me if I failed the test? I took it three times and every time got ISFP–which isn’t me. Each time I read the first question I said (again), “What does this even mean??” So I read each type, one by one, randomly, often repeating ones and missing others until I hit on the idea of going down the list in an orderly way. I might be an ISFJ. I can’t think of any songs that describe me, though maybe You Never Even Called Me By My Name by David Allen Coe. That, or And She Was by the Talking Heads.

69. Lynne says:

Ah Jennifer I listened to yours–is it the theme from the end of The Passion? It’s so familiar but I can’t place it other than that.

70. Lynette says:

Have you and your children read “My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes” by Eve Sutton? As soon as I saw your kitty, I remembered this book we enjoyed from our library. Thanks, I’m going to request it again! Hope you have a peaceful weekend.

71. Steph says:

ENFP

Everybody’s Gonna Love Today by Mika

72. Karen LH says:

Before you write off fruitcake, you might also give Gethsemani Farm’s (www.gethsemanifarms.org) fruitcake a try. I never liked fruitcake until I had theirs. (They also make a bourbon fudge that will knock your socks off.)

73. Melanie B says:

Ok, I have to confess that as a fellow INTP I was skeptical before I hit play on your music choice because even though we are the same personality type, I know our tastes in music tend to be very different. But I did really like the piece you chose.

If I had to pick a song to fit my personality type… I don’t know what I’d choose. I’ll get back to you.

Also, I think I want to move to France. Is it possible I was really born in the wrong country and am really supposed to be French?
    Melanie B recently posted..With the Dignity of a Queen

74. Jess G. says:

One Voice/Wailin’ Jennys – ENFP

75. Elizabeth S. says:

I’m an INTP, and I like the song you picked, although I’m afraid my personal soundtrack probably sounds more like “Stay home” by Self from the Shrek soundtrack. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7IO6TVIkL0

“A simple life’s my cup of tea
    I don’t need nobody but me
    What I wouldn’t give just to be left alone”

76. I think I need to move to Europe!

77. Lena says:

Collin Street Bakery there in Texas makes excellent fruitcake. My family has been ordering it for years. The pecan pies are great too.

78. Mary B says:

I adore a good fruitcake, so the idea that no-one likes it just doesn’t reflect reality (just means more for me, I figure). In recent years I have become the keeper of the old family recipe, which means I am now contractually obligated to provide several each year for various family and friend gatherings where the lack of fruitcake would scream, “It isn’t really Christmas!”. My mother keeps the Orange Slice (the gummy candy, not the actual fruit) cake recipe in the same manner, so we exchange baking favors every December.

Don’t care for either country music or rap though, so don’t see why mixing them would be either an improvement or make ‘em any worse than they already are.

79. Kleejo says:

I’m an ISFP, and I breathe this song: Jem – Down To Earth

“Friends I have to tell you
    They sent me on a mission down to earth
    To watch and to observe life
    And gather information ’bout your birth

But what I mostly see is misery
    And it makes me sad

So capable of love yet, too scared to open up and
    Just wanna be accepted, but can’t show that you care
    Creating problems daily, no wonder some go crazy
    So special and so gifted, but most don’t know, it’s there

Friends I have to ask you
    Surrounded by the beauty of this place
    Why do you make it so hard
    For all the things you want to come your way

Well I don’t think you see your destiny
    And it makes me sad

So capable of love yet, too scared to open up and
    Just wanna be accepted, but can’t show that you care
    Creating problems daily, no wonder some go crazy
    So special and so gifted, but most don’t know, it’s there

Do it, just let it all out
    Express emotion
    Say how you’re feeling
    It’s liberating
    Nothing can hurt you
    You can be happy
    But you must believe it (believe it)

Well I don’t think you see your destiny
    And it makes me sad

So capable of love yet, too scared to open up and
    Just wanna be accepted, but can’t show that you care
    Creating problems daily, no wonder some go crazy
    So special and so gifted, but most don’t know, it’s there
    So capable of love yet, too scared to open up and
    Just wanna be accepted
    Creating problems daily, no wonder some go crazy
    So special and so gifted, but most don’t know, it’s there

Won’t you let me take you down to earth”

80. For INFJs, I think Fireflies by Owl City:

You would not believe your eyes
    If ten million fireflies
    Lit up the world as I fell asleep

‘Cause they’d fill the open air
    And leave teardrops everywhere
    You’d think me rude
    But I would just stand and stare

I’d like to make myself believe
    That planet Earth turns slowly
    It’s hard to say that I’d rather stay
    Awake when I’m asleep
    ‘Cause everything is never as it seems

‘Cause I’d get a thousand hugs
    From ten thousand lightning bugs
    As they tried to teach me how to dance

A foxtrot above my head
    A sock hop beneath my bed
    A disco ball is just hanging by a thread

I’d like to make myself believe
    That planet Earth turns slowly
    It’s hard to say that I’d rather stay
    Awake when I’m asleep
    ‘Cause everything is never as it seems
    When I fall asleep

Leave my door open just a crack
    (Please take me away from here)
    ‘Cause I feel like such an insomniac
    (Please take me away from here)
    Why do I tire of counting sheep
    (Please take me away from here)
    When I’m far too tired to fall asleep

To ten million fireflies
    I’m weird ’cause I hate goodbyes
    I got misty eyes as they said farewell

But I’ll know where several are
    If my dreams get real bizarre
    ‘Cause I saved a few and I keep them in a jar

I’d like to make myself believe
    That planet Earth turns slowly
    It’s hard to say that I’d rather stay
    Awake when I’m asleep
    Because my dreams are bursting at the seams
    Becky Castle Miller recently posted..(Blog) Complex Trauma and Other Reading

81. As an American living in the Netherlands, the pace of life drives me crazy here. Many stores aren’t open after 6 pm on week days or at all on Sundays. I miss 24-hour-Walgreens.

I’m not a super-energetic person, but I look like a crazy type-A go-getter compared to many Europeans. Thirty-five hours is a full-time work week here.

There are certainly benefits to downtime and family time, but nothing gets DONE or ACCOMPLISHED. People seem to be so afraid of over-committing that they won’t get involved at all. As the small groups coordinator at my church, I have 50 or more people who would like to be a group, but can’t get more than 2 or 3 people who are willing to lead a group. It’s very frustrating.

82. Stephanie says:

Loved this discussion and am still mulling over a song for me… In the meantime a suggestion- how about songs for liturgical seasons! How about Buzzcut Season by Lorde for Pentecost, Stereo Hearts by Gym Class Heroes for World Mission Sunday and and Cold by Aqualung for All Souls Day…
    Stephanie recently posted..The noisette rose Crepuscule grows on our front fence. It is a…

83. Ugh. My comment got erased, and have HAVE to share my song.

I’m SO not for writing our own (INTJ) theme song, because I am very aware of how my time is better spent.

Consider “Citadel” by Anna Nalick.

Here are some of the Lyrics:

I’m sittin’ on a citadel
    Contemplating life
    Making a point to waste my time
    I’m walking on clouds
    Of white

What if I fall
    What if I don’t
    What if I never make it home
    What if I bleed
    What if I break
    And I find that I can’t take
    The city below the citadel
    Holding my own hand?
    Sittin’ alone

And I’m breakin’ on the balcony
    Breakin’ window panes
    I’m killing the pain of broken hearts
    I’m walkin’ on clouds
    I’m walkin’ on stars

I love the bit about “making a point to waste my time.” That’s so NJ to me: Planning down-time. And the bit about being above everyone while being afraid to connect at the same time… well, that’s where I’m getting the INTJ.

Another contender is “How does it Feel?” by Avril Lavine:

I’m not afraid of anything
    I just need to know that I can breathe
    I don’t need much of anything
    But suddenly, suddenly

I am small and the world is big
    All around me is fast moving
    Surrounded by so many things
    But suddenly, suddenly

[Chorus]
    How does it feel, to be different from me?
    Are we the same?

This is the I_T_ for me: the tentative reaching out and questioning the value of connection.

And yeah, there’s a theme here, and, yes, before anyone else analyzes me, yes, I’m wrestling with that theme in my own life. ;)

But I think these are great INTJ songs.
    Amy of Writing Hope recently posted..Cross-Cultural Inclusion (NaNo Prep 27)