On proving God

There’s a huge movement that’s sweeping Austin right now called Explore God. If you live in central Texas, you know what I’m talking about. You pull out of your driveway and you see a sign in the yard across the street. You get on the highway and there’s a billboard. You drive past a church to see a big Explore God banner out front, then, on your way home, more signs dot the houses as you drive through your neighborhood.

explore god billboard On proving God

I was blown away by the saturation level that the people behind this movement managed to achieve, and curious about the campaign’s content. Since it seems to be targeting seekers and non-believers, I pulled up the section of the website that discusses atheism to see whom they got to address this topic. To my shock, I found…

Me.

Remember that time the camera crew was at my house when I was 9,000 months pregnant? (Not for the reality show. The other time.) Evidently that was for this Explore God thing. I had no idea! Well, I had some idea. I mean, they said something about the internet and God and billboards, but I didn’t catch most of it since I was busy trying to find a way to ask if they needed any footage of me taking a three-hour nap.

Anyway, I would have eventually figured out that something was up, since my email and social media accounts have been hit with a new round of feedback from the online atheist world (all together now!: “You were never really an aaaaaaatheist”). It’s been a while since I’ve had large numbers of people calling my conversion, my sanity, and my mental coherence into question, and it’s provided me with a good opportunity to take a step back and ask myself, Why did I become a Christian?

exploring god twitter On proving God

I’ve been pondering the question for the past few days as I fold laundry and make lunches, and I thought I’d share my thoughts.

On having proof

The issue that arises over and over again when you talk about atheist-to-Christian conversions is one of proof. We atheists had seen plenty of people concoct nonsensical and internally inconsistent belief systems because they confused “what feels good” with “what is true.” It struck me as a very dangerous path to start assenting to beliefs that cannot be disentangled from the messy world of subjective experience.

Deep down in my heart of hearts, I might feel that the sun revolves around the earth…but before I start announcing this as a truth about the way the universe works, I should go ahead and examine the evidence to see if it is actually true. It is this kind of never-wavering requirement for proof that allows us to have a clear-eyed look at the universe. No area of life should be exempt from this sort of analysis, certainly not religion.

Doesn’t that mean, then, that it’s impossible for any person who holds to this way of thinking to be a believer? At most, you could be an agnostic. But since religion cannot be proven in any kind of verifiable way, a person cannot both subscribe to an evidence-based way of evaluating the world and be a believer. One or the other has to go. Right?

For most of my life, I would have said yes. Absolutely, yes. But then, about 10 years ago, I began to reconsider.

exploring god filming collage On proving God

Filming for Explore God.

It started with a conversation with my grandfather, an engineer who worked his way through college by shoveling coal during the Great Depression, and went on to build complicated refineries all over Mexico and South America. He’s not overtly religious, and I always assumed that with his keen intelligence and careful, analytical way of thinking, he must be an atheist. So when it came out that he believes in God, it piqued my interest.

I began to consider that many of the pioneers of science believed in God — Newton, Galileo, Kepler, Copernicus, Boyle, and Mendel, to name just a few. Almost all the great Greek and Roman thinkers of antiquity believed that supernatural forces were at work in the world. In fact, among people considered to be the greatest minds of history, only a small percentage were atheists.

Realizing that so many bright people believed in God didn’t make me think they were right — after all, there are bright people in every belief system — but it did pique my interest about the issue of proof.

Was I really ready to say that I was a more analytical thinker than my engineer grandfather? Was I seriously going to claim that the monk Gregor Mendel, the father of modern genetics, did not require evidence before believing a theory to be true? Did I honestly think that it never occurred to Galileo to question assumptions?

These questions lingered in the back of my mind as a series of events played out that led me to consider that there might be more to life than the material world alone. I set out on a search for truth about the spiritual realm, which pretty quickly led me to the only lasting world religion whose founder claimed to be God. I came to see that there was a strong case that a person named Jesus of Nazareth did exist. I thought it was interesting that Christianity spread like wildfire through the ancient world, despite the fact that becoming a Christian often meant persecution or even death.

I began reading works by the great Christian thinkers, and was surprised that their arguments in favor of belief were more intriguing than the ones I’d always heard (mainly “Shut up,” and “You’re going to hell”). In fact, this was some of the most reasonable, lucid writing I’d ever encountered.

explore god filming4 On proving God

Yet I still had not seen proof. I was caught in a no-man’s land between finding the case for Christianity extremely compelling, and not being able to take the leap to belief because I could not prove it to be true.

I didn’t know where to turn, so I decided to do an experiment: something rang true about Augustine’s famous statement that you must believe so that you might understand, and so I began to live my life as if God did exist. I prayed, even though I felt like I was talking to myself; I followed the Christian moral code; I read the Bible and honestly tried to understand what it might be trying to teach me. I conformed my life to a God-centered life, even thought I wasn’t sure I believed that God existed.

There was no big thunder-and-lightning encounter with Jesus, and, frankly, I only rarely “felt” God’s presence. But once I began this experiment, it was as if some hidden, tremendously powerful magnet had been activated within me that began pulling me in one direction. One odd “coincidence” after another formed a breadcrumb trail to lead me to God, and it sure did seem like some external force was acting in my life in a real way.

But the most interesting part was this:

The more I went through the motions of believing in God, the more the world made sense to me; the more human history made sense to me; the more I started to make sense to me. The picture of human life that I’d formed based on science alone now seemed incomplete. I still believed everything I’d learned through the lens of science, but I now saw a whole other dimension to the world around me. It was like the difference between looking at a picture of a double-fudge chocolate cake and having one in front of me to smell, touch, and taste: everything I knew before was still there, but I was now experiencing it in a much more intense and vivid way.

explore god wedding On proving God

Joe and me after we re-stated our wedding vows, in a church this time (2007).

I’d considered my life before this God experiment to be good, and it was in many ways, but it now seemed disordered, confused, and flat compared to the life I had now. Little lingering issues faded away; parts of life that had seemed overwhelming were diffused and put in their proper place; I saw that certain actions that had seem innocuous in my atheist worldview had caused great harm to me and to others. I was finally able to put a name to the deep stirrings within my soul I’d experience when listening to a profound piece of music or hearing about an act of evil; I understood why Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel, what drove the efforts to build the great cathedrals. For the first time I felt the depth of my potential as a human, a woman, and a mother.

When I considered this experience in light of the evidence for Jesus of Nazareth, the improbable spread of early Christianity, and the seamless and perfectly internally consistent traditional Christian moral code that has stood strong for two thousand years, something clicked. To borrow from an analogy I once heard someone else use, it was like finding the box top that made all the puzzle pieces come together. Atheism allowed me to complete a few sections, but its box top had me constantly jamming pieces together in a way that didn’t work. With Christianity, everything snapped into place.

Finally, I had found my proof — though it wasn’t the type of proof that I’d originally been looking for.

What I came to see is that there are different kinds of proof in the world. The process for proving that the Horsehead Nebula is 1,500 light years from earth is different than the process for proving that the bad guy committed the crime, and the process for proving that God exists is more different still.

And so, to the folks who want to know what kind of proof I have to offer for my Christian beliefs, I would say this:

I can show you lots of evidence, and, if you’re willing to consider it with an open mind, I think I can make the case that this belief system is at least worth a second look. But I cannot prove its truth to you in the way I can prove that the earth revolves around the sun. The human soul is a necessary component of the God experiment, and the laboratory in which it takes place is the individual human heart. Yes, there is compelling, verifiable evidence for the truths of this belief system, but an analysis of evidence will not — cannot — get you all the way there.

If you are standing back and waiting for the data alone to convince you that God exists, that’s like holding a piece of litmus paper above a solution but never dipping it in. You can have a complete understanding of how the hydrogen atoms in the liquid would potentially interact with the dye on the paper, but until the paper has contact with the solution, the experiment is not complete.

And guess what: in the God experiment, your entire life is the litmus paper.

So no, you absolutely do not have to check your analytical, evidence-based way of evaluating the world at the door when you step into the waters of spirituality. Just understand that when you begin to explore God, you’re looking for an entirely different kind of proof.

98 Responses to “On proving God”
  1. Adrienne says:

Nice… I think this needs to extend beyond Austin and I am sure it will. I was travelling through Austin this summer with my kids when I visited my Mom and sister and her family in San Antonio (I am in Ohio) and thought of you. I think you had just described a shopping trip with all your kids in your blog. I passed the exit for that store you and couldn’t help smiling. Bless you!

2. Meredith says:

That last line is superb!

3. Erin says:

Perfect, especially the last analogy! Your conversion almost exactly paralleled my thought process and experience with going from being agnostic to being Catholic. After many years of learning, studying, and being intrigued, I decided to try it on for size. It fit perfectly, especially after I realized the minor alterations required would all be from my side. I look in the mirror every so often, because that’s my nature, but never have I concluded my conversion was wrong in any way.
    Erin recently posted..The Wednesday Word: Self Impettant

4. Teresa says:

Well said !

5. Angela says:

Thank you for this. As a longtime Christian, I have to remind myself that as long as I’m breathing, there’s still litmus paper left in this “experiment”, especially when the results aren’t always exactly what I’m looking for.

6. Jeni says:

I don’t know how you deal with the backlash from angry atheists but I am so grateful that you keep putting yourself out there! Even if it transforms only one heart I’d think that’d be worth everything; one lamb.

Grateful for all your straightforward posts that connect the dots. And the scorpion ones. Bc those are funny. ;)

God bless you and praying for you and this movement!

7. elizabethe says:

Oh, Jen, I am laughing so hard (but completely silently so as not to wake up the sleeping baby) about your shocking discovery that you were a participant in a major pro-God media blitz. I LOVE it! I wish I were your neighbor.

I love these posts about your conversion. I am always nodding my head in agreement.

So, I don’t understand the whole “you must not have been a real atheist” point of view. I sincerely and honestly want to know the worldview behind that statement. Are they trying to say that “real” atheists have some kind of genetic or hardwired component that makes them unsusceptible to the false arguments of Christianity/theists and so if someone eventually converts from atheism to Christianity it means they must not be hardwired that way? Were they “faking” atheism? Did they just want to be atheists because it was cool?

If this is the case, are there only a select, genetically superior few who are the “real” atheists and who can only possibly be atheists, those few who are able to resist the emotionalism or false consciousness or whatever that leads one to believe in God? What is the difference between a “real” atheists brain/way of thinking/chemistry and the rest of us?

If that’s the case that there is some hardwired difference between “real” atheists and non-atheists, then what is the point of trying to convince others to be atheists? You’ve as much as admitted that most people are incapable of true atheism. And the few that can be atheists, won’t those genetically endowed people just come to atheism by themselves?

Do they realize that this whole argument smacks of an 18th-19th century Calvinistic notion of the “elect” (do Calvinists even believe this anymore?)?

These are all really serious questions. I want to know what the thinking is. I don’t recall ever thinking this way about people who converted to Christianity from atheism when I was an atheist. I had a whole other set of beliefs about why people were or were not religious but I did not think that atheists brains somehow differed so fundamentally from Christian brains that a “real” atheist would simply never be able to come to belief in God. It’s almost like atheists to them are a different species, or a kind of X-men mutation. Atheists, have you really thought this through? Is that what you think? Is that the fundamental groundwork you want to build your non-religion on?

Some former or current atheist please explain. please. Jen? Do you know? Did you think this way?

• Campbell says:

The “you were never a real atheist” accusation sounds similar to the “he was never a real addict” line I hear trotted out by ‘real’ (i.e. actively using) addicts to discredit the sobriety of recovered addicts. After all, if they were never true than I can dismiss them rather than be challenged by the changes in their lives.

• Aleph says:

The “I don’t think you were a real atheist” is mostly an ill-formed, arrogant statement. It’s refusing to other people the right to define themselves.

But the idea behind is usually that you can have many reasons to be atheist, as you can have many different motives to believe in God. So when a former atheist is presented and explains her/his conversion and reasons as if it should convince any atheist, “because hey, I was an atheist like you so I know what you think and now I know better” it’s quite arrogant too. Maybe you had different reasons to be an atheist than me, so what made you quit them won’t do it for me, and so maybe I think you were an atheist for the “wrong reasons” (thus the bad shorcut “never an atheist”).

There are many atheists as there are many Christians and you shouldn’t debate them without considering why they believe what they believe, else you’ll strawman many of them.

• elizabethe says:

I agree. That’s why I’m trying to figure out what someone who says this means when they say a “real” atheist. What is a “real” atheist for that guy who tweeted that Jen wasn’t?

I recognize that analyzing the phrase from outside the group saying there are “real atheists” is an act of “boundary-work” as SSK people might say (or insecurity, as someone else said), demarcating a social and epistemological territory and guarding it, but I want to know what the atheists themselves mean when they say it. What makes a “real” atheist aside from someone who just agrees with the atheist point of view. What work does adding the word “real” do that has some kind of argumentative weight for the atheist who says it?

• Sane says:

No where was the word “real” used by the atheist who was questioning Jennifer. And its interesting everyone is focused on Jennifer’s paraphrasing of the atheist’s comment and not discussing the actual context of his message (the fallacies, vulnerability, false dichotomy parts).

• Steve Willy says:

Your faux-intellectual neck bearded outburst presupposes that only one such comment has ever beeb made. I have seen similar accusations leveled against Jen dozens of times on many sites, and most do use the term ‘real’ atheist. Your attempt to limit the data set to one point, then acting like that one point proved something, sums up the logical fallacy that underlies your entire existence. Yours is a petty trivial localized earth bound philosophy unworthy of the universe . If you truly honor the gods of reason and logic half as much as you claim, you would place your face firmly into your palm, step away from the device, find a quiet place, and rethink your life.

• Sane says:

And a Merry Christmas to you, Steve! What a wonderful example of the holiday spirit you’ve provided us.

Sarcasm aside, It’s quite the stretch to call my comment an “outburst”. It certainly didn’t resort to any of the childish personal attacks and insults that your post contains. Its rather obvious who is really making the outburst here.

As for my “attempt to limit the data set to one point”, you do realize I was replying directly to Elizabethe who was questioning a specific tweet? And in her questions about that tweet, she wasn’t correct in what that person had actually said. I have no doubts the “real” atheist accusation has been used against Jennifer, but she could have used a better example than that tweet if that’s what she wanted to demonstrate.

• Elizabeth, these are great points/questions, as always. If I can ever get a moment to breathe over here I look forward to answering your question about how I thought about it when I was an atheist.

The short version is that I probably would have bought into the “you were never really an atheist” point of view to some extent, simply because I thought that to be an atheist was to see that religion is just fairy tales, and what sane person would ever believe in fairy tales?

More when I’m not exhausted. :)

• Grim says:

And the answer is that a sane person can’t.
        To believe without and/or against evidence is a short definition of a delusional disorder.
        Grim recently posted..Why do you care what I believe?

• Steve Willy says:

Thanks for this steaming nugget of pseudo-intellectual neck bearded blather, you Hitchens-Dawkins parroting basement dwelling neck bearded megadouche. Yours is a petty trivial localized earth bound philosophy unworthy of the universe.

• Smoochagator says:

Unfortunately, Christians do this too when trying to discount the faith of a Christian who has gone through a “de-version.” We say, “Oh, she was never really ‘saved,’” and that’s how she was able to “fall away” or “backslide.” Which is a truly arrogant thing to say, because you’re basically telling a person, I know better than you do what your innermost beliefs are.

• R.C. says:

For starters, the “not a real atheist” accusation is pretty much just the No True Scotsman fallacy being played out.

But I think I can go into greater detail than that. I suspect that many atheists have their self-identity wrapped up around some or all of the following five assertions:

1. Atheism is for logical, tough-minded, smart people;

2. Atheism is the natural (and only possible) conclusion of logical, tough-minded, smart thinking about the topic of religion;

3. Anyone who is logical, tough-minded, and smart becomes an Atheist if they think about the topic long enough;

4. Anyone who is already an Atheist must have arrived at that view through logical, tough-minded, smart thinking about religion;

5. The fact that a person has become an Atheist means that they’re habitually logical, tough-minded, and smart.

Now, examine those assertions: They all use “logical, tough-minded, and smart,” but while they overlap, they aren’t identical.

They constitute a self-referential belief system in which many things are explained in a convenient and comfortable way. This belief system thus incentivizes its own preservation.

Jennifer’s story, and the story of other atheists who became Christians, is uncomfortable to atheists because it prevents them holding all five of those assertions simultaneously, and thus complicates the picture.

It’s unsettling because it raises certain questions: “Well, Jen was an Atheist, which means she was a person inclined towards smart, tough-minded, logical thinking. And yet she LATER became a Christian. This means either that people can stop being smart, tough-minded, and logical without any obvious mental trauma having occurred; or, that smart, tough-minded, and logical thinking isn’t reliable for producing correct beliefs on matters of religion; or that some Christians arrived at Christianity through smart, tough-minded, and logical thinking. Or perhaps some other formulation…but at any rate my worldview requires revision, which is uncomfortable.”

The statement “oh, she was never a REEEEAL Atheist” is a lazy way to defend the integrity of that belief system.

Note: I say, it’s a “lazy way.”

With a little greater effort, an Atheist can still acknowledge that Jen was a “real” Atheist, while preserving his worldview that matches “Atheist” with “logical, tough-minded, and smart.”

He could say…

“1. Atheism is a good match, indeed the BEST match, for logical, tough-minded, smart people…but it’s not the only plausible match;

“2. Atheism is not the only possible conclusion of logical, tough-minded, smart thinking about the topic of religion…but it is the most likely, because of being the best match for that kind of person;

“3. MOST people who are logical, tough-minded, and smart becomes an Atheist if they think about the topic long enough;

“4. Some people who are Atheist arrived at that view through logical, tough-minded, smart thinking about religion…but not all, and some folk who aren’t inclined towards tough-minded, logical, smart thinking are Atheists;

“5. The fact that a person has become an Atheist OFTEN, but NOT ALWAYS means that they’re habitually logical, tough-minded, and smart”

…and still come away with a reasonably consistent worldview, but it’d be blurrier around the edges. That blurriness is disquieting for some folks, and the more they’re inclined to champion hard-edged truth-seeking, the more likely it is that they’re disquieted by such blurriness.

8. Tia S. says:

elizabethe, I am not an atheist, but I think the logic is something like: “not real” atheists were insufficiently knowledgeable about/committed to the belief, and so they were easily deluded by Christian logic.
    Also, “not real atheist” seems like code for “not one of the smart ones,” which of course is totally irrational and snobbish but that is definitely a vibe I get.
    The people who seem to be most vocal in the atheist public discourse seem to lean more towards the the idea that atheism is the obvious consequence that any scientifically literate person should come to. Ergo, if someone uses logic to come to a different conclusion, by definition they must have made some grave mistake in logic or scientific thinking and therefore they were never “real” atheists because they had no logically empirically correct grounding for their beliefs, or something.
    I think? Maybe? that’s how they think.

Also, Jen, do you know who funds this #exploregod thing?

• I think I was told who funds it when we filmed it, but now I can’t remember what they said. It definitely was not cheap to put all this together — I’m impressed with the generosity of whoever is behind it!

9. Jeff says:

I too am so grateful for your testimony.
    I think this is great to be happening in Austn. Isn’t that were Matt Dillahunty is from? Sounds like what Mr. Dillahunty meant for evil, God is using for good. Hopefully this will catch on all across the nation and world.

10. Erin says:

elizabethe, as a former non-believer, I think it’s insecurity. If you spend a lot of time and energy into (not) believing something, it’s scary when one of your own suddenly flips. The only way you can explain it is by saying they were never really an atheist, and therefore it could never happen to you. But then, I was cognizant enough to distinguish my self at a fairly early age as an agnostic. I was willing to concede from the beginning that I might be wrong. Maybe they are afraid if God is real, He can never forgive their previous opinion, which shows how little they know about God, but how much they know about their own ability to be terribly, terribly in the wrong.

• Aleph says:

I can’t disagree too much with this, and I think you’re misunderstanding people a lot.

• Erin says:

**shrug** You are free to disagree, but those are issues several of my friends and I dealt with in our conversion, and the way outsiders dealt with it as well. It may not be everyone’s attitude, and I didn’t mean to imply it was a universal reaction. Still, rather than flip out and throw up defensive walls when one of your own kind does a 180, it would be better to try to understand them, no? But that’s hard, because it challenges our deepest beliefs. The door slamming “they were never a real atheist/Christian to begin with” retort smacks of inability to objectively examine the issue.

11. Wow. All I can say right now is, “Preach it, sister!”
    Joy @ Caspara recently posted..Dog Daze

12. Eva says:

I wish I hadn’t followed the links to your critics. So harsh. I don’t know how you cope with that; my post (that links below) was about how I deal with comments that disagree with me. I’d have a breakdown if I had to deal with entire articles!

Oh well, you have more with you than against you :)

Incidentally, I’m looking into Catholicism. Like, seriously. NO-ONE IS MORE SURPRISED THAN I AM!
    Eva recently posted..My reaction to dissent, in GIFS.

13. Sandy says:

Of all the wonderful writings you have produced, I think this is right at the top. Outstanding! THANK YOU!!

14. Rebecca says:

This is awesome. The last part of your post made me think about an idea I’ve been mulling over for the last few weeks. Because I am a math geek, though, I had to compare atheism to working only within the integers and the rationals rather than seeing the entire real number system. (And I swear I wrote this up before I read your post!)
    Rebecca recently posted..Life outside the integers

15. Anne says:

So honest and eloquently stated! Thank you for this piece. As one who struggles to find and keep the faith, (also wanting some kind of definitive exp,anation for it all) this really spoke to me. I feel a renewed sense of encouragement to keep learning and practicing, and attending church amid my doubts and questions because there is always a peace and grace that comes with it.

16. Amanda says:

You continually inspire me. I appreciate your willingness to be so open about your faith even in the face of criticism. I may be a protestant, but I am so challenged and affirmed by your posts. Thank you for what you do. We all serve a great God and I know you are making a huge difference in the lives of others.

17. I absolutely loved this post! Now I know why it can be so hard to explain my faith in a way that makes sense to non-believers. Until you experience it, it’s just a bunch of pretty words. I hope that this inspires others who are struggling to find faith to know where to start. Thank you for all that you do to inspire us all.
    Jennifer @ Little Silly Goose recently posted..It’s not about me, and I like it that way (who knew)

• Sane says:

Hate to be the one to burst your bubble, but it still won’t make any sense to non-believers (at least the ones who can think critically).

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Your personal experience doesn’t prove God any more than my abduction proves aliens. I’m not really claiming I’ve been abducted, just making a point. :)

• Lili says:

So we came from nothing, ie. the Big Bang/Expansion, which came from nothing? That requires extraordinary evidence to prove.
        And to burst your bubble, atheists are not the only critical thinkers in the world. There are many people who find logical reasons to believe in God. They think critically too.

• Lili says:

Nice name by the way, “Sane”, like your the only sane person around.

• Sane says:

I’d recommend a little less time in church and a bit more time doing some research on the Big Bang because its obvious you don’t understand the actual theory. But you’re right in that Big Bang requires evidence to support it, which it has. For example: the redshift of galaxies, cosmic microwave background radiation, and the relative abundance of certain elements. All of this can be repeatedly tested, peer reviewed and independently verified.

Now compare that within the context of what I was talking about earlier. How is a personal experience going to prove anything to someone else? I had to stop for a unicorn crossing the road this morning on my drive to work. Hey, I experienced it so it must be true and you should believe it, right? That’s the faulty logic at work here.

And Sane is a shortened version of an online handle I’ve used for about a decade now. Its not anything unique I made just to post comments here. You probably shouldn’t be so judgmental. ;)

• Steve Willy says:

Wow, your comments have really opened my eyes. I mean, this is mind blowing stuff! You make some powerful points, except … let’s put the Hitchens-Dawkins Kool-Aid down for a while and look at reality: Kalaam Cosmological Argument, the Argument from Reason, Fine Tuning of Universal Constants, irreducible biological complexity, the argument from morality…. Your entire world view lies shattered at your feet. If you truly honor the gods of reason and critical thinking half as much as you claim, you would plant your face firmly into your hand, step away from the device, find a quiet place, and rethink your life. Indeed, why are you even bothering to comment at all? No atheistic position can be taken seriously until two threshold questions can coherently be answered. 1. Why is the atheist even engaging in the debate. On atheism, there is no objective basis for even ascertaining truth; there is no immaterial aspect to consciousness and all mental states are material. Therefore, everyone who ever lived and ever will live could be wrong about a thing. By what standard would that ever be ascertained on atheism? Also if atheism is true, there is no objective meaning to existence and no objective standard by which the ‘rational’ world view of atheism is more desirable, morally or otherwise, to the ‘irrational’ beliefs of religion. Ridding the world of the scourge of religion, so that humanity can ‘progress’ or outgrow it, is not a legitimate response to this because on atheism, there is no reason to expect humanity to progress or grow. We are a historical accident that should fully expect to be destroyed by the next asteriod, pandemic, or fascist atheist with a nuke. In short, if atheism is correct, there is no benefit, either on an individual or societal level, to knowing this or to spreading such ‘knowledge.’ 2. Related to this, why is the atheist debater even alive to participate. If there is no heaven, no hell, no afterlife at all, only an incredibly window of blind pitiless indifference, then the agony of struggling to exist, seeing loved ones die, and then dying yourself can never be outweighed by any benefit to existing. As rude as it way sound (and I AM NOT advocating suicide) the atheist should have a coherent explanation for why they chose to continue existing. Failure to adequately address these threshold questions should result in summary rejection of the neckbeard’s position. In the end, we all know you can’t answer these questions because yours is a petty, trivial, localized, earth bound philosophy, unworthy of the universe. Finally, is there a basement dwelling troll left in the multiverse who doesn’t drag themselves out of the primordial ooze and logged onto this site in order to announce our collective atheism towards Thor, that gardens can be beautiful without fairies (a powerful rebuttal to fairy apologetics, by the way, but it leaves a lot unanswered about the Gardener), and that we cling to Bronze Age skymen due to our fear of the dark? Let me translate that to neckbeard: you are unoriginal, you are wrong, and you are a clown. Also, FTW atheism is incoherent: http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/higher-things/2011/nov/19/atheism-why-it-logically-incoherent http://www.catholicthinker.net/the-incoherence-of-atheism/http://www.peterkreeft.com/topics-more/4-arguments-transcendence.htm http://www.reasonsforgod.org/the-best-reasons/the-argument-from-reason/

• Sane says:

You know Steve, replying to people’s comments using the same derogatory, copy/pasted response could be seen as trolling by most people. Its rather ironic actually, since most of my own comments here have been about pointing out how hateful and disrespectful Christians can be since everyone was focused on the “big, mean” atheists. And here you are, providing a perfect example of what I’ve been talking about.

Anyway, as much as I’d love to discuss the topics you mentioned(Kalam, Argument from Reason, etc)I’m convinced I’ll just get another canned response from you rife with insults that completely ignores everything I said.

18. Judy says:

I really enjoyed your article and your “proof”. It really makes me think. I was born Catholic and then became Muslim. I discarded both. I now consider myself to be a seeker who has a really hard time sticking to any point of view. I will never be an atheist. I know there’s a loving energy that exists – call it what you will.

I see it’s time for me to take a stand. I think I know now where I’m going. Thank you Jennifer.

19. Katie says:

Love this – thank you!

20. LPatter says:

You are so awesome. I love how your whole story is coming together in so many of these publications now after following snipets throughout the last 3-ish years. (I’m sure its been “together” for you all the while, lol! I just mean its awesome to see it articulated in these sweeping perspectives. WHEN is the book coming?!!) I run our confirmation program and love to send worried parents to you when the (so far all) boys don’t want to progress in the program because of “science”.

The segment is beautiful and the final summation eloquent and provocative.

Have a blessed day!

21. Doug says:

Thank you for an exceptional essay. My own experience has followed a similar storyline, but I could not have summarized it nearly as eloquently.

22. Claire says:

Thank you for this beautiful post.

23. Kim says:

Thank you for yet another thoughtful, well-reasoned post. I’ve edited it into a “FB post with link” in hopes that a few of my atheist friends will read it. Your story is so inspiring. Thank you for sharing it with all of us. Thank you for letting GOD shine through you!!!

24. Christian says:

“I went through the motions of believing in God…” Yes. Faith isn’t just a mind-soul-spirit thing. In catechism class I tell the kids: The Soul Trains the Body in Virtue (or Sin); and the Body Trains the Soul in Virtue (or Sin).
    Christian recently posted..Ледокол

25. Will says:

Found some good in this. Here’s my take: Conversion is supported by God’s logic, because God is a rational being and created a logical cosmos. But conversion is supernatural. The power of God to create and recreate (we are new creations per the Word of God) is the Wod of God. Conversion is never our “figuring God out,” or proving him in any sense. Conversion is always God breaking into our narcissistic belief that we can understand our lives and the world he created apart from him, that we are our own masters, that we don’t need a God, living and thinking entirely on a worldly plane. God comes to us when we are that lost “while we were yet sinners Christ died for us.” The power of conversion is the Word of God. If anyone turns toward God to seek him, it is because God is drawing that person, per Jesus. And if we turn to seek him, he tells us he will be found. He is found in his word, not in our understanding. He is not of this world, but for our sakes breaks into it. And when we trust him we are born again, we are recreated by the living Word who died for us, whom God raised from the dead. We also become “not of this world,” though for his sake and by his power we remain in the world. Human argument and rules of logic change. God does not. His Word does not. His salvation does not.

26. the harshness of the atheist critics tell me that atheism is a religion…agnostics don’t go around yelling at people, but atheists do
    priest’s wife (@byzcathwife) recently posted..overworked & uncommitted married priest, bitter & busy wife, sullen & sinful children- Our Future?

• Grim says:

Any honest agnostic is also an atheist, and vice versa.
      Atheism has none of the characteristics of a religion, it is simply:
      “I don’t believe in god/s.”
      That’s it.
      That is the sum totality.
      Some reaction is harsh, certainly, but much of it is simply honest – read as harsh by you, unused as you are to criticism.
      Grim recently posted..(Im)Proving God(arguments)

• elizabethe says:

Yes, Christians are never ever criticized in this modern world.

• Grim says:

Not nearly enough and they dish out more than they take. The slightest shift in the status quo is seen as an attack.
          Grim recently posted..(Im)Proving God(arguments)

• elizabethe says:

I thought this too, when I was an non-Christian. It may have even been true 10 or 20 years ago. But today I think there is just as many anti-Christian in the culture that is anti-Christian than is Christian, with the triumph of relativism and environmentalism and the modern gender/sex concept in schools today.

27. Allison Vieira says:

When I was considering a return to the Catholic church, I searched for atheist to Catholic conversion stories and there were virtually none save for yours. Having considered myself and atheist for most of my 20′s and early 30′s I needed to find a resource that closely matched my own situation. I downloaded the speeches that you gave about your conversions and I listened to them over and over. I subscribed to your blog and I dove in. Thank you so much for putting yourself out there like you have, It has helped me in so many ways. I did return to the Catholic church and I completed my confirmation that I had walked away from as a teenager and I was confirmed in May. I am now coming back this season as an RCIA sponsor at my parish. Thank you Jennifer and God bless!

• B. says:

Dear Athefist,
      why do you have a hand holding a rosary as a symbol? Before I read your post, I thought your blog was by some wannabe cool Catholic and a blog about punching atheists. With a rosary in your hand.

• Grim says:

I don’t. The upraised fist symbol is a common symbol of protest and activism. The lines on the hand coloured red form a scarlet ‘A’ for ‘Atheist’. The background, blurred, is an image from an illustration of the crusades, suggestive of the pointlessness of fighting over who is better, Batman or Superman.
        Grim recently posted..(Im)Proving God(arguments)

28. Lauren says:

Wow. The last few paragraphs are just perfect, Jenn.
    Lauren recently posted..Who’s going to show up next?

29. I love hearing a bit about your conversion here, Jennifer. As a convert myself, I find your story and others so inspiring. Thank you.
    Natalie Trust recently posted..Of Churches and Amusement Parks: What in God’s Name Are We Doing?

30. Bonnie says:

Jennifer, of all the posts you do, from the humorous (Yaya) to the scary (blood clots!) to the ordinary (meal planning), you are at your best and most powerful when you speak about your conversion. It is so obviously your mission, or part of your mission, because of course you are also called to be wife and mom and daughter and chief cook and bottle washer. But you are a teacher, and educator, and an apologist, and I pray God protect your spirit from the vitriolic attacks on your person simply because you opened your eyes and saw, and that He take you into the next level: becoming an authoritative voice in defense of Him to those who long for an honest discussion of the truth. God bless you.

31. Michelle says:

As a fallen away catholic who knew nothing of the tenets of her faith, and then challenged by a protestant friend, I searched every teaching for truth and you have gotten it all right!! Don’t doubt for a minute that God has used your life as a much needed champion of the church.

Also, your critics make atheists look bad.

• Grim says:

Truth is neither good nor bad. It simply is.
      Grim recently posted..(Im)Proving God(arguments)

• Michelle says:

Truth is good because it is a person Grim. Jesus Christ.

• Grim says:

No, truth is that which is confirmably so.
          Jesus is an ahistorical fictional character. Not an embodiment of truth.
          Grim recently posted..Why do you care what I believe?

• Lili says:

Jesus Christ is not a fictional character. That is pure hogwash you get from atheist boot camp. There are 40 non-Christian historians who document the existence of Jesus Christ; even agnostic and atheist historian agree he existed.

Wake up and smell the bacon.

• Sane says:

So Lili, 40 non-Christian historians, huh? That’s a suspiciously nice, even number. You didn’t even provide us with a single name, let alone any examples of the work they’ve published on the subject so we can examine the evidence. And a quick google search on the subject demonstrates that your claim “agnostic and atheist historians agree he existed” to be false.

Also, even if you could prove to me Jesus existed as a historical figure that does not mean you have automatically proven he was some sort of divine being.

32. Very, very well said.
    Elisa | blissfulE recently posted..a new website is coming soon

33. John says:

“You were never really an aaaaaaatheist”… (7 a’s, I counted). This common reaction confirms an observation – true atheism requires a constant rejection of God. The moment you “start questioning assumptions,” you allow a tiny sliver of God’s grace to enter your soul. Unless you actively deny or reject that grace, you will end up writing a blog similar to this.

I pray that St. Michael and all his angels protect you and your family.

• Grim says:

Rather I suspect she was a ‘passive atheist’, that is she didn’t believe but hadn’t really thought about it very much. The arguments put forth in this post, and originally, show that lack of thought since they’re riddled with various fallacies and other problems.

It seems to me in societies dominated by Christian cultural thought the role of questioning assumptions is one that belongs to the atheist.
      Grim recently posted..(Im)Proving God(arguments)

• elizabethe says:

Hi Grim, I’m curious about what you think is a fallacy in this post and what you mean by “originally.”

I have to disagree with you about something you say here. To say Jen “didn’t think about it very much” is a simple, demonstrable falsehood. She has a 10-plus year record on this very blog of her very detailed thoughts on Atheism and Christianity.

You can disagree with her thoughts all you want, you can say she’s wrong, but you simply cannot claim and expect to be agreed with that she “didn’t think about it very much.”

• Grim says:

In this one, an argument from authority. ‘Originally’ meant what I was referred to in the tweets where she was quoted as saying she ‘couldn’t believe that this child was the result of random evolution’.

That’s a two-for. Argument from personal incredulity and the mistake of thinking that evolution is random.

Thinking about it would imply examining the reasons. Succumbing to these elementary mistakes and fallacies would suggest otherwise.
          Grim recently posted..(Im)Proving God(arguments)

• elizabethe says:

Hi Grim,

I read your blog post on this. I think you are misreading Jen a little here. I can see why you would think that Jen is making an argument from authority, but she’s not really. She’s instead saying why she became open to arguments for God.

She’s not saying “hey, smart people believed in God, I’m going to believe in God!” Instead she thought that the existence of scientists (her model of the rational person) across all times and ages and cultures who were able to use their rationality to upend the prevailing scientific knowledge and also still believed in God caused her to question her atheist assumption that rationality and theism were mutually exclusive.

Now, you may not find the existence of scientists who also believed in God to be compelling evidence to reject your belief that religious belief is only for irrational people. Maybe you don’t think scientists are a model of the rational person (This is what you go into on your blog post, and I actually agree with much of it — this particular evidence wouldn’t and didn’t make me question my non-belief). But Jen is simply not making an argument from authority here.

Similarly, her discussion of her feelings when her baby was born is not really an argument for God from her personal incredulity, it’s more of a description of her moment of questioning, where she questioned whether the evidence of her lived experience matched up with her atheist theory about what a human being was in a non-theist world. It may have been then that she rejected the idea of a random evolution (which, as you say, you don’t believe in), but this was not the reason she embraced Theism.

These things she describes didn’t prove God for her, they merely made her intellectually open to hearing the arguments for God because they seemed to contradict her atheist assumptions.

The reason for Jen’s conversion was in no way limited to these instances. Again, you can disagree with her reasons for converting and say they are not compelling reasons for you to convert or even for you to reject your atheism, but she’s simply not making the logical fallacies you say she is making. Jen is much more careful than that and deserves a closer reading.

Anyway, good luck in your endeavors! I’ll pray for you. ;)

• Lili says:

Questioning belongs to the people who care about improving life.
        I don’t see any atheists creating homeless shelters, soup kitchens, foodbanks, and hospitals. Instead, atheist organizations blow their tax money on “Reason rallies”, and seminars to encourage the fervor to reject God more and more.

34. Amy says:

I love this post and the video. Sadly, I clicked on some of the links and was surprised to see how hateful some people are toward you! Your blog has been incredibly helpful to me in my own conversion, and I’m sorry you get so much ugliness flung your way in response to your beliefs.
    Amy recently posted..I Am a Yoga-Pants-Wearing-Mom

• Grim says:

Part of the problem in cross-communication is that religion is so used to being treated with (undue) deference and respect that criticism and examination comes across as hate.

Also it can be incredibly frustrating trying to get a reasoned point across to the religious. Everyone loses their temper at some point.
      Grim recently posted..(Im)Proving God(arguments)

• Sane says:

So many Christians here playing the victims as if this “ugliness flung your way in response to your beliefs” is a one sided affair.

Perhaps you’re all overlooking the part where Jennifer says, “I began reading works by the great Christian thinkers, and was surprised that their arguments in favor of belief were more intriguing than the ones I’d always heard (mainly “Shut up,” and “You’re going to hell”).

Haven’t seen anyone acknowledging that little tidbit where she clearly admits receiving a fair share of “ugliness” from Christians prior to her conversion.

• Amy says:

No, I’m not overlooking that, and I’m not “playing the victim” either. I have also seen and experienced ugliness from Christians, which is part of the reason I began exploring atheism and became atheist for many years. There are plenty of Christians who fling hate and call it religion, but Jennifer Fulwiler is not one of them, so I don’t understand all the attacks and insults directed her way.
        Amy recently posted..Louisville – A Little Walk Down Memory Lane

• Sane says:

I’m glad you recognize that. The general theme I’ve picked up through reading these comments is a lot of pointing at those “hateful, angry” atheists. And what does that accomplish? Nothing much other than perhaps breeding more mistrust and anger, especially when people on the religious side are just as guilty of throwing the hate around. I believe that verse about beams in the eye applies here.

That said, I don’t think Jennifer deserves to be personally attacked either however her ideas, beliefs and arguments are fair game for criticism. While I’m not condoning their use of insults, it seems that is what everyone is focused on and no one is discussing their counter points. Overlook the obnoxious, attention grabbing title and I think the Ask an Atheist article (the mental coherence link) makes the best rebuttal.

35. James says:

Wow, I love it.

36. Sara says:

I love this. Your explanation is so fluent and smart. I have a need to understand faith with my heart and my head, too, and I love your comments about the great thinkers who also were Christians.
    Sara recently posted..Canadian Delicacies

• Grim says:

As I cover in my blog, you have to understand:
      a) The historical context in which many of these people lived.
      b) The human capacity to hold contradictory concepts in their mind at the same time.
      c) That some people don’t apply the same reason they do to everything else to the god concept.
      d) That this is an argument from authority.
      Grim recently posted..(Im)Proving God(arguments)

• Lili says:

Socrates lived hundreds of years before Christian thinkers, and he was agnostic. No body stopped him from questioning the existence of the gods of Greece. he was heavily criticized and was arrested. But he still questioned the existence of the gods. Don’t come with that.

37. Kris, in New England says:

To anyone who thinks that the bile directed at Jennifer at the links she provided – plus the epic ugly words directed to all Christians that show up at her National Catholic Register column – isn’t hate, I suggest that person go back to the definition of the word.

Non-regligious people would have a better and easier time talking to Christians (because, let’s face it, their brand of venom seems to only be directed at Christians and in many cases, specifically Catholics) if they showed a little less derision and scorn.

Which leads me to the question I ponder whenever Jennifer talks about her conversion from atheism and the incredibly negative attention it garners: why do atheists even care? Rant and rail against religion in general if you feel called to do so but to direct so much anger towards one person and her personal story is just beyond puzzling.

In fact, it seems irrational to me. Which is ironc because most atheists I’ve encountered believe that they are the most rational people on earth.

• Grim says:

Criticism is not just levelled at Christians, as the recent troubles Dawkins and others have had with Islam should show.

Derision? The beliefs are ridiculous so why shouldn’t they be?

Why care? Same reason you’d care if someone healthy came down with something.
      Grim recently posted..(Im)Proving God(arguments)

• Michelle says:

When I came back to the church, my protestant friend scared me. Why? Because I was afraid that everything I had known or come to know would be wrong. I hated that idea.

38. Carrie says:

I have been lurking on your blog for a while, which I came to by googling “atheist to catholic convert.” Being raised with no religion and one parent who is a staunch atheist, its been a long and winding journey for me to figure out what my own beliefs are. Recently I’ve been intensely interested in Christianity for reasons I still don’t understand. I have been “trying on” Christianity by reading the bible, praying, and learning as much as I can and I totally understand what you mean with the chocolate cake analogy (and who doesn’t need more chocolate cake in their life?!) Thank you for sharing your journey so publicly, I know its been a comfort for me.

39. Nic Kennel says:

Can’t help but be skeptical of the experiment described here. How do you account for confirmation bias in such an exercise? If I, a godless heathen, were to conduct the same experiment and come to the conclusion that there’s still no gods or anything else supernatural, how can I be sure I’m not just seeing what I want to see?

40. TCatch22 says:

I find this a very timely post given my current “crisis of faith” (for lack of a better term). It struck me as really interesting that I’m basically doing the opposite of what Jen did…in that I’ve been a believer for quite some time–until about a week ago, for a variety of reasons, and now I’m really skeptical and uncertain about even the existence of God (let alone details in any specific religion itself). And aside from praying, daily, as I begin my day, for God–if he exists–to reveal himself to me, I’ve been for the first time since grade school with an experiment: living my life as if God does NOT exist.

So far, the resulting feeling has been what Jen described as what she felt doing the experiment the other way. I guess I’ll have to keep going and see what happens. Truth be told, I want to have a “happy ending” in which I return to believe again. So I’m still glad I read this. Something more to reflect on.
    TCatch22 recently posted..state of my soul (if i have one)

41. I was in Austin this week. It left a mark on me. Literally. I tripped off a curb and ended up with five stitches and a Tetanus shot. Compelling city :) And we saw the billboards everywhere and how fun to find your voice behind at least a portion of them. Wonderful.
    Lisa-Jo @lisajobaker recently posted..100 things I want to teach my daughter

42. Vaso Gama says:

Jennifer,

I experienced also an atheist-to-Christian conversion, but my experience was somehow distinct. In spite of a traditional Catholic education in a religious family, I departed from religion during puberty and became a convicted atheist. However distinctively from most of my fellow atheists I never shared their contempt in relation to religion or the religious believers (and could never consider religious a superstition or the believers as deluded persons in need of any kind of enlightenment).

As my conversion process is relatively recent (initiated 2 or 3 years ago) I am not entirely aware what motivated it, but in general I may say that I sensed a “need of God”, it is difficult to describe well the situation, but as far as I can say I experienced this need of God, which in my case seems to make sense as a young boy I was once a believer. If I can recognize that somewhere in my life I missed God, I acknowledge that it was the product of disturbances in my personal life (not really relevant to others) that lead me to question a variety of beliefs that had held my atheistic world view.

As a result I must say that the belief in God made me experience a strong sense of coherence in reality, which I clearly had not before (I guess that I share this with you and other believers).

Often I hear atheists demanding for the proof for the existence of God, which is reasonable, in spite of the efforts of a large number of apologists I guess this proof atheists demand doesn’t exist (and the weird thing is that believers “know” that God exist as they sense God and for them God, as experienced, is very real). However this “proof” required by atheists (as an a priori proof for the existence of God) I think that it can’t be produced as in my view that it would contradict the existence of our free will. God is accessible to all humans (that so will, given that we possess the capability to love, reason and free will). If an a priori proof of God´s existence was possible, reason alone would force us to believe in Him, which would be inconsistent with our free will. In this sense our belief in God is in the first place the result of our love (for God) and believers are by their free will worshipers of God).

Believing in God is an act of love (and will and reason), not believing in God is also an act of will and reason (in fact God doesn’t impose on us but asks for our love).

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Best regards

43. Asha2820 says:

So… appeal to authority got you interested: “I began to consider that many of the pioneers of science believed in God — Newton, Galileo, Kepler…”

…then rhetoric somehow turned into evidence: “In fact, this was some of the most reasonable, lucid writing I’d ever encountered… [I found] the case for Christianity extremely compelling” Or you’re simply choosing not to pass on the compelling arguments you found.

…then you did a biased experiment and did a non sequitur from ‘what makes me feel good’ to ‘what is true’: “One odd “coincidence” after another formed a breadcrumb trail to lead me to God, and it sure did seem like some external force was acting in my life in a real way”.

…and finally, in a fit of special pleading, you lowered your standard of evidence to allow for what made you feel good: “But I cannot prove [the existence of a god] to you in the way I can prove that the earth revolves around the sun”.

You still claim a valid argument: “Yes, there is compelling, verifiable evidence for the truths of this belief system”, but don’t say what it is!

• Steve Willy says:

Thanks for another steaming nugget of regurgitated pseudo-intellectual blather, you Hitchens-Dawkins parroting basement dwelling neck bearded megadouche.

44. H. says:

As a former Catholic-turned-seeker-turned-atheist-turned-liberal-Protestant-but-not-really-sure …. thank you for articulating so beautifully the reasons why I won’t give up the search. This has inspired me to act-as-if and see where it leads … thanks!

45. Michael says:

“…I cannot prove its truth to you in the way I can prove that the earth revolves around the sun.”

Thank you for admitting that. It’s refreshing to know there are theists who will admit they can’t prove things about their religion in the way scientists *can* prove things about the Universe.

“The human soul is a necessary component of the God experiment, and the laboratory in which it takes place is the individual human heart.”

You immediately jump from “I can’t give you proof” to asserting the existence of things for which there is no evidence. The “soul” is something people speak of poetically, but there is zero evidence such a thing exists.

I was hoping for really for a good, solid argument for your faith, something with some teeth, *especially* since you claim to be a former atheist with a respect for science. Someone with a genuine history in those fields would surely not switch teams without compelling evidence, yet all I’ve found in your testimony is:

1. Having a baby changed your feelings. (This is an entirely natural occurrence that most parents experience, yet based entirely on feeling, not rational thinking) and

2. There is a…..soul?

If your blog is an attempt to justify your faith in a particular god, then it seems you still have all your work ahead of you. Would you care to take a stab at proving “souls” even exist?

Thank you. Cheers.

Michael

• Steve Willy says:

Wow, your comments have really opened my eyes. I mean, this is mind blowing stuff. You make some powerful points, except … let’s put the Hitchens-Dawkins Kool-Aid down for a while and look at reality: Kalaam Cosmological Argument, the Argument from Reason, Fine Tuning of Universal Constants, irreducible biological complexity, the argument from morality…. Your entire world view lies shattered at your feet. If you truly honor the gods of reason and critical thinking half as much as you claim, you would plant your face firmly into your hand, step away from the device, find a quiet place, and rethink your life. Indeed, why are you even bothering to comment at all? No atheistic position can be taken seriously until two threshold questions can coherently be answered. 1. Why is the atheist even engaging in the debate. On atheism, there is no objective basis for even ascertaining truth; there is no immaterial aspect to consciousness and all mental states are material. Therefore, everyone who ever lived and ever will live could be wrong about a thing. By what standard would that ever be ascertained on atheism? Also if atheism is true, there is no objective meaning to existence and no objective standard by which the ‘rational’ world view of atheism is more desirable, morally or otherwise, to the ‘irrational’ beliefs of religion. Ridding the world of the scourge of religion, so that humanity can ‘progress’ or outgrow it, is not a legitimate response to this because on atheism, there is no reason to expect humanity to progress or grow. We are a historical accident that should fully expect to be destroyed by the next asteriod, pandemic, or fascist atheist with a nuke. In short, if atheism is correct, there is no benefit, either on an individual or societal level, to knowing this or to spreading such ‘knowledge.’ 2. Related to this, why is the atheist debater even alive to participate. If there is no heaven, no hell, no afterlife at all, only an incredibly window of blind pitiless indifference, then the agony of struggling to exist, seeing loved ones die, and then dying yourself can never be outweighed by any benefit to existing. As rude as it way sound (and I AM NOT advocating suicide) the atheist should have a coherent explanation for why they chose to continue existing. Failure to adequately address these threshold questions should result in summary rejection of the neckbeard’s position. In the end, we all know you can’t answer these questions because yours is a petty, trivial, localized, earth bound philosophy, unworthy of the universe. Finally, is there a basement dwelling troll left in the multiverse who doesn’t drag themselves out of the primordial ooze and logged onto this site in order to announce our collective atheism towards Thor, that gardens can be beautiful without fairies (a powerful rebuttal to fairy apologetics, by the way, but it leaves a lot unanswered about the Gardener), and that we cling to Bronze Age skymen due to our fear of the dark? Let me translate that to neckbeard: you are unoriginal, you are wrong, and you are clowns. Also, FTW atheism is incoherent: http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/higher-things/2011/nov/19/atheism-why-it-logically-incoherent http://www.catholicthinker.net/the-incoherence-of-atheism/http://www.peterkreeft.com/topics-more/4-arguments-transcendence.htm http://www.reasonsforgod.org/the-best-reasons/the-argument-from-reason/

46. You seem like a very easy person to talk to and you have a great sense of humor. As an atheist who used to be a believer I don’t really find your evidence all that compelling. I don’t find the moral code of the Bible particularly insightful. There are a number of other commandment lists that have many of the same insights. And while I still have a sense of the transcendence I find absolutely no evidence this is described by the god in the bible. What I see so often in what I perceive as a well meaning narrative to try and find meaning is really what I call a semantic shell game. What you are describing is not evidence that can be applied universally. You may see it as personal evidence, but in the strictest terms of the word your application of the word evidence wouldn’t be considered intellectually honest by most atheists. What I’m saying is you can honestly claim you had an experience with something you perceived as greater than yourself, but that is not evidence. This type of triumphal presentation plays well with people who already believe, but I can see why many atheists wouldn’t consider your description of your conversion as evidence you really understood what atheism is. You can honestly claim inspiration, but your use of the word evidence is misleading. I understand you are using the word evidence metaphorically, at least I hope your are. If you are using it literally then your standard for intellectual truth is not high enough. And that’s why you’ll fail to convince most atheists of your position. What you have plays well for the already convinced and provides great theatre.

47. Margaret Kelly says:

Jen, I’m a cradle Catholic turned skeptic, and I’ve been tempted quite often to do the believe-that-you-might-understand, take-communion-and-all-will-be-well thing. It would make my life simpler; it would give me intellectual and moral clarity and greatly strengthen my relationship with my mother and father and others who are very dear to me. But I’m still skeptical. I can’t help thinking that if I do decide to just try it, just start living as a Catholic and see what happens, my very decision to do so would prime me, intellectually and emotionally, to notice things that seem to prove the decision I already made and ignore things that seem to contract it. So my guess that it is true will be confirmed by “evidence” that I wouldn’t have seen if I hadn’t made the decision in the first place. How do you know that this wasn’t your experience? Can you demonstrate that this isn’t a plausible explanation of what happened?

48. “Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam”
    For the Greater Glory of God

Think back to those basic kinds of conflict we learn about the life Jesus Christ. I personally responsible in the importance of representing the its people and what your life reflects back to us the way we think, feel and the order in which memory things he had done, whatever they were goes for people afraid to admit a mistake or even those expert in the area of the theology of our God.

For instance, the different ways people perceive to celebrate these feelings before our eyes evaluate the credibility the importance and value of our image, (I think) they really believe that our appearance is a reflection of the respect of the social condition and of beliefs and things that other people work that is more meaningful, that they may see your good works, when we say He is the Savior of the world?

It does reflect a consensus of all members of the catholic faith specifically to peoples that it represents generally as individuals thinking and history. The importance of religion, values, and reflected a great deal we learn much about the world that they see themselves as part of the learning process. People are people and they can love whoever they want. we know and believe that a person reflected in their practice suggest that they work what lessons we can learn about God, our love for Him increases; and this, in turn, enables us to and our actions reflect more and more the attributes and qualities of God.

Despite our best to “know thyself,” the truth is that we know the structure and social organization goals and people in the world who can say our goal is to have their rights. As Christians, we are called to for Christ, and that is the reason that many Christians today truly standing out in a good way making intelligent decisions about people, people may have said they want their priest “Freedom, by definition, is people realizing that they are their own leaders. But the mutual reflection of these self-secures integrities? Many people choose to wear their ashes for the remainder of the day both as those around that they are a follower of Christ and are entering into a season with our communication and to address problems as soon as they arise. While this guide (a others like it) is our awareness that very cautious in how we deal reflect a person’s professional identity, power to reflect culture and influence thinking was first promote our reflection more likely we are to both find peace in things being the way that they are trying to get People to feel sorry for you – reflect something of the divine, is already of compassion with people.

I see it as are reflection of my inner world. The ability to read the emotions of others is linked to always reflect the people that give power. High fluency reflects high memory strength consciously their upbringing ever reflect the opinions of people I know? This reflects our own sense that whatever problems the mankind ever faced, whether they are that they were warriors of Christ and steadfast in their faith. That the Christ or the soul consciousness our mind while we think and carefully bring down into practice. While we accept and honor Jesus as the exemplar and bearer our words reflect our obeisance to external principalities of gratitude to others a way that the people of Christ’s describing experiences very different than those of Christian in Jesus Christ. Among those who have the power to control others in this way are as telling objections the very meanings we find in our religion the unity of Godhead, they measure in the doctrine of the Trinity. Contrasting their concerns with those of St.Paul our societies is far more that they may be used in a celebration of our faith.

We shape our sense of self and who we are in Christ from our retelling of our experiences. And get right with God, or they go around making excuses for their failure. That’s where you’re confronted with “Christ died for us while we were sinners. Nonetheless they won’t be able to save your everyday life more faithful at the life others are called. Him on his own accord, the Body of Christ they are what give us our spiritual identity, they remind us, in a very controlled way, the mankind condition envision to” takes back into history, years of missionary effort of Jesus Christ into heaven.

Our passion for God and our compassion for people comprehensive guide leads you into becoming the person God designed you to believe inspires, motivates, and encourages others to believe they, too, can love Christ, of its insurability, This work is dedicated to the Lord Jesus Christ. I believe we are God’s identity and will endure that His Blessedness are only joined together when they are rightly with the god experienced. We are called, along with all the humbling and Christ- like traits accept things that our Christian faith and values of His righteous lives, represent a significant it happened when we surrendered our god-given power to someone else. Represents a person’s basic identity, his life in all its fullness is Jesus Christ’s ultimate mission.

We thank thee, our God, for the life and knowledge which you madest known to us through Jesus thy Servant; to thee be the glory forever. Even as this broken bread was, more holy, and together and let thy Church together into thy catholic church; for thine is the glory and the power of Jesus Christ forever.