The Our Father, one word at a time

our father The Our Father, one word at a time

Back in 2011, a bunch of wonderful writers gathered here to reflect on the Lord’s Prayer, one word at a time. It turned out even better than I could have imagined, and these beautiful posts continue to provide me with a feast of food for thought.

Since I know that many folks weren’t reading back then, I wanted to dig up those old posts and highlight them again so that you don’t miss all this good stuff. Enjoy!

BY WORD

OURFATHERWHOARTIN | HEAVEN (#1) | HALLOWED BETHYNAMETHY | KINGDOMCOME | THY | WILLBE DONEONEARTHAS IT ISIN |  HEAVEN (#2) | GIVEUS (#1) | THISDAYOURDAILYBREADFORGIVE |  US (#2) | OUR | TRESPASSESASWE FORGIVETHOSEWHO HAVE TRESPASSEDAGAINST | US | LEAD | US | NOT | INTOTEMPTATION | BUT | DELIVER | US | FROM | EVIL

BY AUTHOR

Sally ThomasLEAD
Stacy TrasancosTEMPTATION
Brandon VogtARTAS IT IS
Wellness MamaBREAD
Kate WickerDAILY
MeOURTHYCOMEDONEONDAYOURTRESPASSESTHOSEAGAINSTINTO, BUT, FROM

8 Responses to “The Our Father, one word at a time”
  1. Mira says:

Wow, what an amazing idea!

I haven’t been reading back then but I’m so glad I can read it now.

Thank you for this rerun!

2. Mary Ann V says:

This would make an awesome book!

3. Amy says:

Wow. I can’t wait to read through all of these posts. I just bought a book called “The ‘R’ Father: 14 Ways to Respond to the Lord’s Prayer” by Mark Hart (haven’t read it yet) because I wanted to learn more about it, and these sound just delightful also. Thank you so much for sharing them again!

4. What a gift for me today!!!!

Thank you for this purposeful, slow cooker style workout of this prayer.

Cristina
    Cristina @ Filling my Prayer Closet recently posted..Small Success Thursday Vol. 6: Bucket Lists, Books and Balance

5. Thank you, Jennifer! Just this morning I was driving home after Mass and an all-too-short visit to the adoration chapel, when the thought struck me that I didn’t really understand why we ask God to “lead us not into temptation.”

Being too proud to ask the question on Facebook, I intended to google it when I got home. Instead, I got busy with other matters and promptly forgot. Then your email landed in my inbox with the answer! Ask, and you shall receive. So thanks for the great post and for the opportunity to admit my Facebook pride. I, too, think this would make a great book. Send it to Fr. Fessio!

6. Nod says:

All too often we use words without quite reflecting on what we are saying. I was curious what you would do with the word “those”. Wow. Now I have to read the rest of them.

7. Aaron Lee says:

This is beautiful! I have made them into PDF format 2 years ago, so it easier for me to read.

8. Kathy B. says:

I wanted to share with you that the first time you ran this was just a couple months after I discovered the wonderful world of Catholic blogs – and if I remember, I think one of the bloggers I had started following was a contributor to this and had linked over and that was how I “met” you! At that time, I had a raging case of commenter’s stage fright (which I still occasionally get, even though I now post my own blog, lol), so I started writing a comment about 10 times that I never sent…the gist of which was that I really loved every word of this and got a lot out of seeing the Our Father from this perspective, which hit home with me because before my father would let me receive my First Communion, I had to be able to tell him what the words of the Lord’s Prayer meant.