Something Other than God

C.S. Lewis, an atheist-to-Christian convert, once observed: “All that we call history…[is] the long, terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy.” As I wrote my story, I realized that it was as much about searching for true happiness as it was about undergoing a religious conversion. That C.S. Lewis quote often echoed in my mind.

And so, after five long years of very hard work, I am thrilled to tell you that the title of my book is Something Other than God. And here is the cover, created by Ignatius designer John Herreid:

something other than god fulwiler Something Other than God

A few folks read advance copies, and here is a sample of some of the generous endorsements the book has received:

“A humorous, uplifting story about one woman’s journey from lifelong unbelief to both faith and an intimate relationship with Jesus and His Church — Something Other Than God joins science, faith, and reason in an engrossing read.”
Cardinal Timothy Dolan, Archbishop of New York

“Jennifer Fulwiler’s spiritual memoir is thought-provoking, honest, and often hilarious. It will strike a chord with anyone who ever posed − or tried unsuccessfully to avoid − the big questions of life.”
Gretchen Rubin, New York Times bestselling author of Happier at Home and The Happiness Project

“Jennifer Fulwiler’s story of finding God when you aren’t looking for Him is a universal tale which will touch many hearts. With warmth and unflinching candor she leads us through a personal journey of faith and maturity that is as funny as it is affecting.”
Raymond Arroyo, host of The World Over, New York Times Bestselling Author

“What is this nonsense?”
– The three people who never spoke to me again after reading it

It’ll be released in hardcover in March. Pre-orders start in December. No exact dates yet, but you know I’ll keep you posted!

This is all so surreal and amazing and wonderful. THANK YOU so much for your support.

116 Responses to “Something Other than God”
  1. Love, love, love, love, LOVE!!!!!!

I cannot wait to get my grubby little hands on a hardcover copy of this baby!
    Leila@LittleCatholicBubble recently posted..Quick Takes: The delightful, surprising edition!

2. Erin says:

Thrilling, exciting, wonderful:):) A mammoth effort to write I’m certain, well done{{}} and to have Cardinal Dolan read and endorse your book!:)
    Erin recently posted..Chinese Picture Books

3. Sue says:

Aahhh! Exciting!!
    Sue recently posted..Christians! Blend In or Stand Out?

4. Meg says:

You have a blurb from Gretchen Rubin!

Will it be released in ebook at the same time?

5. “The most anticipated book of the blogging world.” – all the people (like me) who love your posts

Awesome cover. Can’t wait to read what’s inside!!

6. Kendra says:

Congratulations! The cover is beautiful. I love the meandering.
    Kendra recently posted..Birth Story Week: #3, in which I give birth to the same baby twice

7. Danielle says:

Beautiful title and cover!! Congratulations, what a huge, huge accomplishment!
    Danielle recently posted..Snow and my “sunny” side

8. Kaitlin @ More Like Mary says:

Awesome!!!! I’m so happy for you and excited to read it!

9. Mary says:

Congratulations, Jen!!! So happy for you!

10. Monica says:

Honest First Thoughts: When I saw this come up in my bloglovin feed, I thought (without reading the text blurb)- “Wow, whatever book Jen is recommending looks awesome, based on title and cover alone!”

So I was doubly excited to open the post and see that it is YOUR BOOK!

11. Linda says:

Wow, this is beautiful! Great blurbs from some great folks, except those last three…what the heck do they know, anyway?! (did they really say that???) As for me, I can’t wait to read it.

• Well, they didn’t say that — I don’t know what they said. But it’s true that a few folks have not talked to me since receiving the ms months ago. At least that doesn’t make me totally neurotic. :)

12. elizabeth says:

Wow! Couldn’t be more excited if it was my own book cover (ok, maybe that’s a bit of an overstatement–but it is beautiful!). Thanks for taking us on this writing journey with you–though I write fiction, I’ve found solace/inspiration from your struggles and triumphs along the way. Congrats, Jen!
    elizabeth recently posted..Pilgrimage to Milledgeville Part I

13. Amy says:

It’s beautiful. Congratulations! I can’t wait to read it.
    Amy recently posted..Sharing Dessert, Pig Slaughter, and Advent

14. christine says:

If you could see me, you’d see I’m simply giving you a great big round of applause.
    So very exciting!
    christine recently posted..Big Chicken News and a New Song to Stick in Your Head – TToT, Week 24

15. Rachel says:

Congratulations! Love the cover! I am grateful that you’ve been such a dedicated writer. You definitely played a part in my conversion! Imma go all fan girl and say I want a signed copy :P

16. Erica Saint says:

Nice! I can’t wait to read it!
    Erica Saint recently posted..Yarn Along

17. Michelle says:

Very nice. I can’t imagine having those folks reading a book I wrote! I have wondered for the first time since watching your reality show and reading your blog, how fame may have affected you. Do you ever wish it hadn’t?

18. Cardinal Dolan read it and liked it? You are amazing Jen! Love the name and cover!
    Mandi @ Messy Wife, Blessed Life recently posted..Advent Preparations

19. Christine says:

Wow! I love it! I am so excited to read it. :)

20. Amanda says:

Congratulations! Love the cover! And what great endorsements! I’m looking forward to reading it.

21. Erin Oswalt says:

Congratulations Jennifer. What a proud accomplishment! I can’t wait to read it. I feel like I know you from reading the blog!

22. Marcy K. says:

The cover is just fantastic. Very elegant and well done. It makes it look like a classic book already (a good classic!). Congrats and I can’t wait to read it.

23. karen c says:

It’s just like you said – the cover fits the title and your personality perfectly! Looking forward to some good reading… Congratulations on such a great accomplishment!

24. Lynne says:

“What is this nonsense?” lol

I predict Ignatius will be more swamped with preorders of this book than anything else they’ve ever released.

Love the cover and love the quote. I hope you are using one of those little squeezy hand excersizer things 5x/day because you’ll be doing lotttts of autographing now–will need much hand strength.

25. Lynne says:

but it wasn’t accidental : )

26. Julie says:

It’s beautiful! And the name strikes me (from what you’ve shared of your journey) as perfect. Just perfect. Congratulations on this exciting step! I can’t wait to read the book!
    Julie recently posted..7 Quick Takes Friday (Vol. 20): Back to Blogging, A pirate ship in my family room, and Get me to Texas!

27. TheresaEH says:

Yes please let us know when we can pre order. Congratulations!!!!

28. Amy B says:

I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!! Congrats!
    Amy B recently posted..Potty Training Bootcamp!!

29. Anne says:

Blurbs from Cardinal Dolan??! Gretchen Rubin!! Raymond Arroyo? Dang, Jennifer! Way to go. Can’t wait to read it. Congratulations on this super achievement. How is this all feeling?? :)

• Thanks! And that’s a great question. It’s super exciting…but I also have a teething baby and a wild toddler and all sorts of household craziness that keep my attention mostly focused on mundane things like changing the next diaper or figuring out whether I can count a half-melted chocolate bar as lunch. And I think that’s a good thing. :)

30. Janet says:

I’m as excited as the rest of your readers, and will definitely purchase it.

31. Jennifer says:

Congratulations! The book cover looks great! I never pre-order books, but I’ve been looking forward to this for so long that I’ll be placing mine in December.

32. Martha in VA says:

I’ve have been reading your blog for years now anonymously and tell people about you all the time. I look forward to reading your book in March!

33. Lacia C says:

Congratulations Jennifer!! Can’t wait to read this book and I will definitely be pre-ordering it!

34. Smoochagator says:

OH. MY. GOODNESS. You got endorsements from Cardinal Dolan and Gretchen Rubin? GIRL YOU IN THE BIG LEAGUES! I can’t wait to pre-order my copy. I am so happy for you.
    Smoochagator recently posted..Seven Quick Takes

35. Hot dog, Jen!!!! I am so impressed. I cannot wait to read it. God bless you, Joe & your whole family!!!!

36. Claire says:

Oh Jennifer it is beautiful!!! Cannot wait to get my hands on this. And the endorsements are fantastic – go you!!!

37. Cristi says:

I have never posted here before but I just have to say that your cover is BEAUTIFUL! Your blog is such an inspiration and I CAN’T wait to read your book and tell everyone I know about it until they will no longer talk to me. :D

38. Andrea says:

Wow! You weren’t kidding about the cover — it’s fabulous! I love the title, I love the colors, and I especially love the winding road that leads to the Holy Spirit. That winding road is such a universal symbol of the path we all follow, restlessly seeking what we know not until we find it. I don’t know why, but when I first saw the cover, it brought a tear to my eye. It really resonated with me. I’m so happy for you, Jen, and I can’t wait to pre-order the book!

• It’s funny, I had the same response of getting teary when I first saw it. At first I thought it was just from being overwhelmed by all the craziness it took to get to this point, but then I realized it was because the cover really does say so much about what the conversion process is like.

Thanks for sharing that!

• Jessica says:

I just became teary as well. I’m really, really happy for you, Jen.

God be praised and may your work bring Him much glory.

Lots of love to you.

39. Jenny says:

That was the first CS Lewis quote I fell hard for…LOVE it Jen. Congrats on your 7th “baby!”

40. Oh the TITLE! Excellently chosen. And the cover design is brilliant. I kind of got choked up when I first saw your post, I am so excited for you.
    Carolyn Svellinger recently posted..7 Quick Takes #33 Updates + My Dad’s Famous.

41. I honestly wanted to cry when I saw this post. I’m a convert so I always love reading conversion stories, but it goes much deeper than that. I converted five years ago without my husband, who is still discerning, and I am hoping he’ll be interested in reading the book. He doesn’t read your blog, but he has read many of the books you’ve recommended here (including your dad’s, which he enjoyed!) Maybe it won’t be a big leap to read yours! :)
    Andi at Bringing the Sunshine recently posted..Sun-Beams: November 17, 2013

42. Congratulations! May it touch many hearts for Christ.
    Connie Rossini recently posted..How to grow in holiness in 10 minutes a day

43. Lacey says:

I LOVE it! Congratulations!! and I will be asking for a pre-order receipt in my stocking for Christmas.
    Lacey recently posted..Toddlers are Weird

44. Pat Gohn says:

All the best for a great launch! Happy for you and those who know you — and those who will be blessed by your writing in the future!
    Pat Gohn recently posted..This makes me think… not about what, but who, is at the center of my faith.

45. Amy K says:

Beautiful cover, and a great title! I can’t wait to read this! Your insights are so helpful to anyone–believer or un- — who has ever doubted God’s existence or his goodness.

46. Jeni says:

Oh it’s beautiful. Beautiful. Beautiful. This makes me so happy for you! :) Sending all my best!

You’ve worked so hard and look at the beautiful fruit of your writing endeavors, your path–this looks perfect. Ah I’m just so excited to get my hands on it! :)
    Jeni recently posted..7QT: Resolutions

47. Lisa-Jo says:

Thrilled. Exited. Can’t wait to read. Cheering. Confetti! Cake Pops! Free Child Care!!! :)

48. Kerry says:

LOVE the cover!

Can’t wait to read it and then share it with others!

Way to go!

49. Kristen N says:

Congratulations! I love how the cover design incorporates the dove from St. Peter’s Basilica in a modern way – with you chasing happiness and the holy Spirit chasing you. Can’t wait to read it!
    Kristen N recently posted..5 Easy Ways to Ignite Kids’ Creativity

50. Jamie says:

I’m really happy for you and for your success. I know that this was a FAMILY affair to get this book published and it is their success as well. I will definitely be reading this book! I have very much appreciated your blog and conversion story. (I’m the Lutheran who reads Catholic blogs :P) My husband and I are also Christian converts so we very much identify with your journey.

51. Theresa Sismilich says:

I’m with Lynne. It was no accident. But I guess I will have to read the book to understand that part of the title. Congrats on your book!

52. Kris says:

Love the cover – can’t wait to pre-order! And, WOW (!) – Cardinal Dolan?? Nice!

53. Tori says:

Love love LOVE the cover!! I can see why you were so excited to share it.
    Tori recently posted..Star Wars Reads 2013

54. Congrats! It’s a lovely shade of blue.
    Suzette @ jambalaya recently posted..“ISFJ” or Random That You Don’t Have to Endure

55. Jen G says:

As someone who has been reading your blog for a long time, I offer my congratulations!! I’m very eager to read it. Have you ever thought about offering a seminar on time management? I don’t know how you do it!

• Thanks so much! And I’m actually not great at time management. I think the big “secrets” are 1) that I worked on it so long — five years gives you a lot of time to get something done. And 2) Joe and I agreed together that *we* would get this done, so he gave me a lot of writing time by watching the kids so that I could go to coffee shops and focus.

56. Dorian Speed says:

Congratulations! What wonderful news! I love everything about this. WAHOO!!!!
    Dorian Speed recently posted..7 Quick Takes: Where’d the blog go?

57. Laura says:

Congratulations! The title and book cover are wonderful. I absolutely love that last endorsement :)
    Laura recently posted..Catholic Woman’s Almanac

58. Tom F. says:

Congratulations Jennifer, I can’t wait to read this. As I was reading the post, I was having visions of giving a copy to my wife for Christmas, seeing her unwrap it and say “Oh, this is perfect, I was hoping you would get me this for me, I’ve always wanted to read a book just like this! This is the most wonderful Christmas gift ever!!!” But…but…but then I got to the bottom and it said March!! MARCH!! As in three months after Christmas. And my little Christmas morning fantasy just went poof! I guess I’ll just go back to my original plan of bunny slippers and an omelet maker, what could go wrong?

59. Stephanie says:

Have to join the chorus of praise – gorgeous cover, excellent title.

60. Anna says:

Beautiful! I can’t wait to read it and share it with everyone I know!!

61. Sweet!! Can’t wait to read it!

62. Nancy says:

This is so great – I absolutely cannot wait to read it!
    Nancy recently posted..God opened the door and I walked through it

63. Tim Dolan and Gretchen Rubin blurbed your book?! WHOA.

Can’t wait to read it. Love the cover!
    Anne @ Modern Mrs Darcy recently posted..Every woman needs a Confidence Shirt.

64. Claire in the UK says:

WOW – you have reviewers in high places. Well done!
    Many congratulations. When will we get it in bookstores in the UK ?

65. PatJ61 says:

Cardinal Dolan is your first reviewer? WOW! Are there plans for an Audible edition of the book? Please say yes.

66. Colleen says:

Gee, I sure would love to give this to a few people for Christmas this year…so glad it will be out soon. Please keep us informed. God bless you, Jennifer!

67. dweej says:

But March is like….NEXT YEAR!!! Have you heard that I’m super patient? They were lying.
    dweej recently posted..Grateful

68. Mira says:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

If we can judge a book by its cover – then this one is going to be awesome!!

Enjoy every second of your success, you’ve earned it.

And the last endorsement made me laugh at loud. Thank you so much for that.

Wahooooo!!!

69. Ruthie says:

Congratulations! Celebrating with you!!!!

70. Katie says:

Congratulations- I know that this must feel like a child being born. I know that the Holy Spirit will bless your work and that many souls will be touched by your story. Thank you for putting yourself “out there”. I know that your humor will go a long way to dispelling the myth that Catholics don’t have fun. Well done.

71. Marilyn says:

Wonderful, congratulations! I’m not at all surprised at the endorsements…I look forward to reading it.

72. Ginny says:

The title is perfect, and the cover is beautiful. I love the simplicity and the colors.

73. Cindi says:

Your book looks amazing from the outside, the reviews from Cardinal Dolan(!) and Gretchen Rubin and Raymond Arroyo (!) will draw people inside to discover what your bloggees (Ha! I just made up a word!) already know. That is…you are a great storyteller who has an uncanny ability to make people laugh and smile, but most of all who is an attractive example of loving and living Christ. May many souls be converted by your perseverance and by your story. Looking forward to reading it.

74. Gina says:

So excited for you!!!
    Gina recently posted..Special ‘Christmas Carol’ display

75. Shirley says:

Congratulations, Jennifer! I love the cover!! I am so happy for you and excited to get to read it! You’ve put so much hard work into it and I know it will be a huge success.

76. A wonderful cover, I was so happy to see it in my feed, congratulations! My birthday is in March, so I know what I’ll be asking for…
    Amy @ Consecrated Housewife recently posted..Happy, Happy Birthday (with pumpkin pickin too)

77. Barb says:

It’s looks wonderful! I just wish we didn’t have to wait until March!

78. Jen- We all feel like we know you and love you, especially those of us who have been reading this blog and watching you on EWTN for a long time. I almost want to run out and grab the first person I see and show them the cover and say “My good friend Jen is publishing this book!” That wouldn’t be weird or anything would it? Congrats. We all want autographed Copies! :)
    Bonnie Morris recently posted..My mama bear is a bit on the red neck side . . .

79. Monica says:

AWESOME!

80. Jane says:

I’m giving it to my husband for Christmas,even though I won’t have it yet. It will be an IOU type of gift. Can’t wait!!

81. Kara says:

Awesome!!!! Can’t wait to read it!
    Kara recently posted..Introducing…

82. Congratulations! I can’t wait to read it. I love the quote that inspired your title.
    Jennifer @ Little Silly Goose recently posted..What happens after you quit

83. Marie says:

Congratulations! This is such a beautiful cover and I, like many others, am eagerly awaiting your book! I can’t even imagine how much work and energy you’ve poured into this and it’s going to be amazing!

84. Amanda says:

I LOVE it! But March???? MARCH???? I’m with Dweeja, patience is not a virtue I possess in enough quantities to tolerate a March release of your book!

But seriously the cover, the title, the reviews, everything about it is just perfect. I’ve been reading your blog since my first son was born, so about 5 years now, and I’ve been looking forward to this book to come out someday for all that time. It feels surreal that it’s finally done, your book has a cover and reviews and a real release date. Totally crazy! My long-suffering husband will no longer have to hear “come here, you have to hear what Jen wrote today!”…..I’ll just get him his own copy of the book and make him read it instead. :)
    Amanda recently posted..Happy Third Birthday Gizmo!

85. Congrats!!
    It’s looks wonderful!
    Julie @ Connecticut Catholic Corner recently posted..Catholic and Boycotting Kmart

86. Monica says:

Congratulations! I look forward to reading this book. :)
    Monica recently posted..Simply and Only

87. RMF says:

Cardinal Dolan as a book reviewer…nice!

Congratulations on your first book; here’s hoping for a long stay on best seller lists!

88. Rhonda Ortiz says:

What a gorgeous cover. Many, many congratulations to you, Jennifer.
    Rhonda Ortiz recently posted..Bleak House: Who’s Driving the Plot?

89. Ashley says:

I cannot wait!!!!! Congratulations!

90. Nikita says:

I am very excited about this! Congrats the book, but also the beautiful cover!
    Nikita recently posted..Catholic Woman’s Almanac Vol. 11 Issue 20

91. LPatter says:

So exciting; looks terrific! Can’t wait!

92. Patty says:

Perfect title and beautiful cover! So happy and excited for you!

93. Rachael says:

Congratulations! I have recently discovered your blog and have really enjoyed it. I am looking forward to reading your book when it comes out next year.

94. Katie says:

As per usual, anyone who quotes C.S. Lewis has me at “hello”. Can’t wait to read!

95. Congratulations, Jen! I love the cover design and love the title. Can’t wait to read it.
    Karen Edmisten recently posted..Bits and Pieces of our Nanoing Days

96. Lindsey Wilson says:

“A few folks…” …like Cardinal Dolan?! Wow, Jennifer, kudos! I cannot wait to get your book and read it!

97. Aileen says:

Oh, Jen, the cover is so beautiful!! Simple but elegant. I’ve been reading your blog for years and love it. Consider me among the blog stalkers who don’t know you in real life but consider you a *friend* lol. Can’t wait to preorder the book in December!

98. Emily Davis says:

If you need a book-reviewer OR if I can give one away on my blog – I’d love to do one or both of those.
    As a convert – I am extremely excited!

LOVE LOVE LOVE!
    em
    Emily Davis recently posted..Small Success Thursday – Vol. 5

99. I’m late to the party, but I wanted to extend a HEARTY congrats! This is so exciting for you (and us too!) I can’t wait to get my paws on it. I hope that I will be able to chat with you about it in July!
    Jenna@CallHerHappy recently posted..Are you a social media master? At what cost?

100. Kerri says:

Love the cover graphic and LOVE the title! Can’t wait to read it.
    Kerri recently posted..Pregnancy Update: Week 38

101. Bernardett says:

I’m a 18 years old mexican girl who CAN NOT wait for your book! I’ve been waiting for years! >.<

I've been an addict since I found your blogs a few years ago (thanks to my father who brought a catholic magazine where it was mentioned).

I hope the pre-sell includes international readers too!

102. Bernardett says:

I hope the pre-orders includes international readers too!