Did someone say something about a conference?

Oh, that’s right. I did. When I said that Hallie and I are hosting one this summer.

Contrary to how it may seem since neither of us have mentioned it recently, we haven’t forgotten about it or blocked it out of our minds as a sanity-preservation technique. We’ve actually been doing a lot of work on it. The reason for our silence is this:

Our venue fell through.

This is an even bigger deal than it seems, since the property on which we were planning to host the conference is a very unique place, and our vision for the shindig was closely tied to its strengths and weaknesses. A new venue means scrapping everything we had sketched out, saying a prayer, pouring a large glass of wine, and starting fresh.

Ultimately, though, this is great news. The old venue was beautiful and had a lot of things going for it, but it also had some serious weaknesses that had potential to inflict misery on all involved. (Just one example: most of it was outdoors, with little shade. I spent a long time wondering whether we could include “Experience an authentic Texas heat stroke!” as part of the marketing pitch.) Now that we’re looking at the new venue options, we’re actually more excited about this event than we were to begin with.

So, in summary, here’s where things are:

• The conference is still on, and will still be in Austin.
  • We are making every effort to keep the original date of the weekend of July 26th. However, since there is not as much availability now, the date may need to change.
  • We know that everyone needs details sooner rather than later for planning purposes, and we’re making it our top priority to get a new location nailed down.
  • As soon as we get the location set, we’ll release all final details (schedule, when tickets go on sale, speakers, etc.)

Thanks for bearing with us as we work through these first-year glitches. There may be a few more bumps in the road along the way, but it’s going to be well worth it!

18 Responses to “Did someone say something about a conference?”
  1. Kelly Kaczmarczyk says:

You guys can do it!

2. Praying for y’all. Also praying you find a place with AC for this Midwest gal ;)
    Jenna@CallHerHappy recently posted..Vlog: Getting Started with Hand Embroidery

3. Julie says:

You’ve taken on quite a job with this, so I’m sure everyone will understand that there are/were some kinks to iron out. (Especially if that means the heatstroke risk will go down.) Best to you both as you try to get everything sorted!
    Julie recently posted..7 Quick Takes Friday (Vol. 23): Skiing as a Metaphor for Life; We Parents as Enough

4. I’m just excited you’re doing this. I don’t mind any changes and hope hope hope I can go!! Prayers that it doesn’t become too stressful for you both. Introvert plans event for lots of people to congregate, and be in the same room? Pretty big deal there.

5. I’m just excited you’re doing this. I don’t mind any changes and hope hope hope I can go!! Prayers that it doesn’t become too stressful for you both. Introvert plans event for lots of people to congregate, and be in the same room? Pretty big deal there.
    Carolyn Svellinger recently posted..7 Quick Takes Friday #37 (some) Stuff Making Me Laugh Right Meow.

6. jeni says:

Thank you for all the hard work yall are putting into this event! Hell or highwater I’m coming. I mean, as long as you don’t still sell out the new venue. I can’t wait.

Prayers for all involved!

And forget the large glass of wine–go for a large bottle :) jk jk jk

<3 jeni
    jeni recently posted..Down 10 Pounds!

7. Lynne says:

[now imagining you on the phone with resort staff explaining said vision for serene women's getaway/conference while multiple children are heard fighting/yelling/crying in the background]

alternately [now imagining myself entering Hilton while multiple age-assorted children (my own) make a mad dash towards...everything. Some go for the lovely top-heavy glass dispenser which holds 5 gallons of lemon-water, some for the perfect-height-for-bathing fountain. I duck my head and go for the elevator bay and pretend I don't know them. Except I'm pushing a crying baby in a stroller and can't get up the stairs to the elevators except by taking the very, very long all-access ramp that brings me in a broad swath directly across the main lobby. I feel like Mrs. America and wish I'd never agreed to go on vacation.]

I NEED this conference, Jennifer.

8. Kris says:

Hope it all works out! I would not mind a date switch, since that weekend was not good for me and I REALLY want to come! Keep us posted.

9. Elaine says:

I just realized the original date of the conference (which I was most definitely going to attend) is my baby #6′s due date. So if the original date is kept, will there happen to be any OBGYNs attending. (kidding!) Maybe I can catch the next conference since I’m sure there will be one!
    Elaine recently posted..Saint coins, chore charts and a family store

10. Jennifer H says:

Continued prayers as you continue to organize this! I’m still praying I can go! :)

11. Can’t wait!! I second the air conditions and indoor venues plea, even having lived in Texas. ;)
    Rakhi @ The Pitter Patter Diaries recently posted..Feelings, Nothing More Than Feelings…

12. Angie says:

I’m so excited about this conference even being possible! Not only would I be able to meet some of my favorite bloggers, but I’ll be able to visit my son and daughter-in-law, who will soon be moving to Austin!

13. Jill VT says:

Super super hope that a) conference happens; b) conference date changes a wee bit (selfishly); c) conference stays in awesome Austin; and d) conference is the start of an annual weekend of all-around wonderfulness for us mommies.

14. Gretchen says:

As soon as I read this I thought: maybe God had you fall in love with the first venue solely for the purpose of igniting a vision for this conference.

Now that you’ve committed to the conference, He’s giving you a venue that will ultimately serve your purposes better (bigger? more shade? whatever).

Believing in the Sovereignty and Love of God with you.

15. Karie says:

Actually, I will be very happy if the weekend changes, as I had a conflict that I would not change. So if your date does – Thank You,

16. Any chance you’ll have a little signup to receive info on the conference as it gets nailed down? I’d love to be on a list (I can’t believe I just said that – my email inbox is threatening to beat me with a stick for saying that…but it’s true!)

Thanks! :) Katie