My literary agent was in town this weekend, so I had the rare treat of getting to talk to him in a format other than emails dashed off at 11 PM after all the kids finally stop screaming.

jen ted Should I a) come hang out in your city, or b) stay secluded in the shadowy recesses of my home where I belong? (A survey!)

He’s thinking, “I hope she doesn’t put this on her blog.”

Over a Tex-Mex brunch he quizzed me about my plans to let people know that my book exists. I pointed to the yeoman work I’ve done complaining about the audiobook recording and trying to get people sitting next to me on airplanes to ask me what I’m reading, yet I got the impression from the look on his face that I’m not getting Client of the Year this time around. (Though since one of his other clients is Austin Kleon, I should have called that a loss on a long time ago).

He suggested that I explore the idea of a book tour. I immediately began choking and sputtering, but when he framed it as “hanging out with people who know you through your blog…with books!” it didn’t sound so bad.

plane Should I a) come hang out in your city, or b) stay secluded in the shadowy recesses of my home where I belong? (A survey!)

Bonus: If you live far enough away, you get #TWEETSONAPLANE!!! as part of the package!

So that’s what I want to do today: explore the possibility. There are a lot of things that would have to come together on my end and on my publisher’s end to make this happen, so there are no guarantees, but if you think it would make sense for me to come to your city for a book signing, fill out the form below!

(If you are reading this on a feed reader or by email, you will need to click through to the post to see the form. Thanks!)

80 Responses to “Should I a) come hang out in your city, or b) stay secluded in the shadowy recesses of my home where I belong? (A survey!)”
  1. Renee says:

My atheist friends know who you are Not sure how taboo, you are.

2. Erin says:

I put that the st Raphael Center might be a good venue in my area, but I bet Walsh university would be even better.

3. Um. I filled in the form. I don’t suppose you’ll come to Europe, but I hope it makes you laugh.
    Becky Castle Miller recently posted..(Blog) Dear Friend, As You Attend AA

• I would looooove to come to Europe. I just need to convince my publisher that I have a HUGE audience there. ;)

• Well, you have a grand total of one so far!

• Ute says:

Actually, your target group in Europe is probably bigger than you think. There is lots of Catholics in the American military stationed overseas, and especially the wives love to read blogs (yours included of course). Plus, all this going to war business makes the soldiers more open to religion, and there is lots of them who are “seeking”. Isn’t that the audience you’d like?
        Meg Hunter-Kilmer from http://www.piercedhands.com is coming for a speaking tour to Europe this fall, and I’m sure, there could be something arranged for you too, if you could manage it from your side.

• Mira says:

Yes, yes, yes, most definitely come to Europe!

We would LOVE to welcome you in Croatia – anytime, anywhere! :-)

4. I filled out the fun form for you! (Now say that 10 times fast!) LOL! :)
    Tracy Bua Smith recently posted..Lenten Love Links

5. Oh one more thing…I don’t know if I ever put my name on the form, although I did leave you my blog address. Anyway, I’m the one that suggested St. Mary Parish bookstore as a possible venue! :)
    Tracy Bua Smith recently posted..Lenten Love Links

6. TheresaEH says:

cleaning coffee off my computer screen after………;p

7. I suggested 20110 where I live, but Catholic Information Center in DC cicdc.org hosts many book signings and would be perfect. I would love you to come to Northern Virginia. I think you might need to do a couple stops here….big following. Just please come outside the Beltway,
    Jennifer G Miller recently posted..7 Quick Takes — Beginning of Lent Edition

• the other Becky says:

You’ve got almost the right idea, but you mean INSIDE the Beltway in Md. not Va.

• Jean says:

No! Jennifer got it right–but why does it have to be either/or?

• Martha says:

I just posted a local church in Northern VA. Definitely come to DC area! I suspect you have a large group of readers here. There is at least one Catholic bookstore in Fairfax, VA (Paschal Lamb), and tons of parishes in the Arlington Diocese, all of whom I am sure would love to have you talk/do a book signing.

• Clara says:

I suggested NJ but if you come to the DC area, I’ll drive 4 hours to see you! :D (it’s where I grew up.)

• Cammy says:

Yes, I suggested the Catholic Information bookstore, too! Come to DC, please! I’ll go to Virginia or Maryland. ;-)

• Betsy says:

I was going to give the same suggestions (multiple stops in the DC area). You should hit up DC, NOVA AND MD (outside the beltway). I’m sure you’ll have a great turnout at all the stops!

• JoAnna says:

I second this! It would be awesome to have Jen at CIC!

• Kathleen says:

The Catholic Information Center is a great venue… and you would get a following of young professionals coming off of work, but it’s hard for your Mom readers to get there during Rush hour.. They normally do their talks at like 6 pm… So I would also suggest doing the CIC book store and another parish in the suburbs. McLean Falls Church or Arlington.

8. Robin Duke says:

I forgot to mention when I suggested EWTN, that we don’t have any scorpions in our area (at least I hope not). We do have flying roaches, beetles, etc. (just so you know).

9. Tracy G in SLP says:

Jen – I filled out the form but forgot to include contact information, so here it is. The Twin Cities would love to have you!

10. I really want to fill this out, but . . . Alaska.
    Best wishes!

11. jeni says:

Tallahassee! You’ll love it! :)
    jeni recently posted..It’s Ash Wednesday!! & You Know What That Means…

12. Lpatter says:

12302 – didn’t even think of Siena College but that would be an option too!

13. Anne says:

I filled out the form, but I wanted to add that you should get the publisher to rent you a bus, like the Gaffigans, and travel around with your kids! You can read about how they do it in Dad is Fat.

14. Well, I just tried submitting 3 or 4 times, fiirst through my phone and then through my iPad, and got kicked out. I *think* the last time went through, but there is a distinct possibility I look like a stalker with a spelling problem.

15. Anne McD says:

Wow, he even “looks” like a literary agent! (like, well read and smart :) )
    Anne McD recently posted..40 in 40 Update

16. Gina says:

Oh, please come to Northern Virginia! (Not Southern Virginia, mind you, Northern Virginia! It takes forever to get from here to to the southern part of the state. It’s a bigger state than people think.) I want to meet you for real!! :-)
    Gina recently posted..New interview with Lucinda Dickens Hawksley

17. Karen says:

I suggested a venue in the Beach Cities part of Los Angeles. WE HAVE GREAT WEATHER ALL YEAR! Beaches! No scorpions!

18. Maria Ramos says:

Yes! Johns Creek, Ga. We have a parish full of wonderful moms who will only be enriched by you, your book and your story!

19. Jennifer,

We’d love to have you in New Orleans and on the Northshore across from Lake Ponchartrain! Hey moms in the Greater New Orleans area–give a shout out to let her know you’d come!

• S. M. says:

If you visit New Orleans, you’ll be close to Picayune, MS, which has an active Catholic church and sometimes has guest speakers. Here’s their website: http://www.scborromeo.org/ I’m sure you’d have a turnout there.

An hour and a half up the road is Hattiesburg, MS, which has several Catholic churches. If you feel your story might be of special interest to young adults, there is a Catholic high school and a Catholic Students Association group at the local school (the University of Southern Mississippi.) Try these sites for a little info: http://www.stthomas-usm.org/

20. Kelly Kaczmarczyk says:

AHHHH.

Grand Rapids, Michigan! Or Detroit. My husband and I will drive the four hours.
    But I think Grand Rapids would be better

21. KarenElissa says:

I’ll throw out a vote for St. Louis!

• Mary says:

Come to St. Louis, we are crawling with Catholics. They call us the Rome of the West. There are many churches, bookstores, and other venues to choose from. You will like us.

22. I’m the one who suggested a couple of Dallas venues, and look other posters, I totally forgot to include any contact info.

You should totally come to Dallas. I’m sure you’d get tons of people to come. We have Catholic radio stations hear (Guadalupe radio network) and if you advertised on that, you’d get a great turnout.
    Casey @ My Love Is Too Little recently posted..7 Quick Takes About Birthday Celebrating, Barbecue, and a Themed Cake – 7 Posts in 7 Days: Day 7

23. Monica says:

I suggested Seattle — Seattle in the summer is SOOOOOOOOO much nicer than Texas in the summer. I should know, since I’m a transplant from Houston. AND we don’t have scorpions, and we have few enough bugs that we can even leave screenless windows open in the summertime without hosts of bugs entering and making formations and taking us out in our sleep. I know, paradise, right?

24. Mary Beth says:

San Antonio invites you because:
    1) We’re in your back yard so no plane required
    2) Even better TexMex than Austin :-)
    3) Y’all can bring the kids (that would be a plus, right??)
    4) We’ve got Guadalupe Radio Network!!!
    My contact info not on form — Aargh

25. Deacon Tom says:

Phoenix AZ where you would be hotter than a firecracker… well that’s if you come in the summer. We live 90 miles up in the mountains north of the valley but if we can’t get you to come for homemade lasagna and an evening of respite (where you can tweet late into the night) — we might be willing to drive anywhere into the valley to join the other five fans we’ve talked to who promised to buy one book. Not one each… just one book. :-)
    Deacon Tom recently posted..Catholic Vitamin S Spirituality

26. The other Becky says:

So, I’m just wondering, did anyone tell you to stay home?

It looks to me like you should take about six months, put your whole family in a bus, visit all the different places when the weather is good there. Of course you will need a ship to get to Europe and Alaska, but first do the bus tour of the United States. Begin with the nations capital.

27. Susan says:

I live just outside DC and would love for you to come to the Basilica of the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception. If you want to bring your family I’ll even organize a tour of the area for you, complete with monuments, the Smithsonian (minus the insect zoo, obviously) and the National Archives (where my husband works).

28. Stefanie Pawelczyk says:

I would visit you if you came to DC/Baltimore area! :-)

29. Amy Caroline says:

Well, if you came to Southern Oregon I can assure you that I would bring my family and that is 10 people alone. So how can you say no to that? :)
    Amy Caroline recently posted..Let It Go

30. Grace says:

Oh please come to the San Francisco area! I know you would have a great turnout, either in SF (might I suggest St Dominic’s church) or the East Bay, I’ll bet St Margaret Mary in Oakland would love to have you!

31. Filled out the form and I am praying that God sends you to Pasadena CA! You would love Vroman’s Bookstore… and I’ve never seen a scorpion here.
    Karianna@Caffeinated Catholic Mama recently posted..{Virtual} Coffee Date: Vol. 28

32. Kirsten says:

Left yet another vote for the D.C. area, though this time for the Maryland side of things. We’d love to see you! Love, love, love it! Such an exciting prospect!

33. Heidi says:

I just put my city on there. You would love us and I would break out of the shadowy recesses of MY home where I belong/am most comfortable. Fortunately, I have friends who aren’t so introverted here and they will love to come! :)

34. Josette says:

I concur with Karianna @ Caffeinated Catholic Mama. Come to Southern California…Pasadena to be precise!

35. Allison says:

Another vote for the DC area! Your blog has inspired me to learn more about my faith and I’d love love to meet you to thank you for that. :)

36. Susan says:

I filled out the form with some suggestions for the greater Houston area.

There’s no scorpions here – but we do have lots of other creepy crawlies!

37. john says:

Here’s a fan-made book trailer… http://youtu.be/nL-1NkanGEA
    Hope those who read this comment help me spread this.
    I would be the first to order her book from the Philippines.

38. Come to Chicago! It may even stop snowing by the time you get here!
    Eliza@SuperSwellTimes recently posted..Red Flag: Harsh Penalties

39. Clara says:

I suggested the Princeton, NJ area…. we also have a local Catholic Radio station to help with drawing a crowd. Forgot to include that in the form. (Also, also submitted it twice – I included my contact info the second time.)

40. Bonnie says:

Soooooo…. will you be coming back to Peoria?

41. Cindi says:

Jennifer,
    I just sent the request for you to come up to Wisconsin for a book signing, but I thought I should give you my e-mail address! I’ve been following your blog for 2 years and love it, so it’s about time I contact you!
    Cindi