Holy Week

I know I said I’d put up the form for us to talk about fabulous things to do in NYC and DC this week, but I’m going to hold off until next week. Things are about to get crazy — in a good and very fun way — and it feels right to spend most of this week offline, just praying and resting.

I won’t be hosting 7 Quick Takes this week in honor of Good Friday, but I look forward to seeing you all again next week.

I leave you with the perfect Holy Week song, which happens to be one of my all-time favorite pieces of music. It’s called Dum Transisset Sabbatum, which means After the Sabbath Had Passed. Treat yourself to a listen:

13 Responses to “Holy Week”
  1. Beautiful and perfect Holy Week song and images for sure! Thank you for sharing! May you have a blessed Holy Week and Easter season! God bless you!
    Tracy Bua Smith recently posted..Palm Sunday Videos, Easter Triduum, Holy Week Happenings 2014

2. Carrie says:

I love Dum Transisset. One of my all-time favorite pieces as well. :)

3. Amy says:

I hope you have a blessed Holy Week and a lovely Easter. I am so excited to almost be Catholic! :)
    Amy recently posted..A Day in the Life – My Monday

4. Barbara says:

Moved to tears! Thank you for sharing !

5. Just sad the ad for your book on the front inside cover of First Things, where I pick many of my reads from. I’m impressed!! (And, okay, I’ll put in an order for my copy)

6. Caren MacMurchy says:

Latin English Dum transisset Sabbatum,

Maria Magdalene et Maria Jacobi
    et Salome emerunt aromata,

ut venientes ungerent Jesum. Alleluia.

Et valde mane una Sabbatorum

veniunt ad monumentum orto iam sole.

Gloria Patri et Filio et Spiritui Sancto.

Mark 16: 1, 2; Third Respond at Matins on Easter Day

When the Sabbath was past,

Mary Magdalene and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, bought sweet spices,
    that they might anoint Jesus. Alleluia.

And very early in the morning, the first day of the week, they came to the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit.

7. sheila says:

have a blessed holy week & Easter! I had never heard this piece of music. I love it. I had to add it to my collection immediately. Thanks!

8. Patty says:

Absolutely beautiful, soul stirring music! A blessed Holy Week and Joyful Easter to you, Jen, and to everyone here!

9. Karen Morgan says:

I just pre-ordered your book as a gift, but the link for the gift certificate that you uploaded back in December isn’t working… Please help! :) Thank you!

10. Claire in the UK says:

Jen,

Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful piece of music – so moving. I love Allegri’s Misereri and this piece is in the same category – awe inspiring. This will definitely be added to the “all-time favourites”. (BTW who says the devil has all the best tunes – the Catholics have some pretty good ones too!) :) :)

Happy Easter to everyone.

Claire

11. Dean Stroud says:

Beautiful.

12. Dean Stroud says:

Also, who painted the picture of the three women looking into the tomb? Wonderful and powerful.