Sometimes I write about faith, but a lot of the time I just talk about the craziness that is my life. One day you might see a post examining the human tendency to rationalize sin, and the next day I’ll be freaking out about a scorpion in my toilet.
If you’re interested in how on earth that “atheist to Catholic” thing happened, I detail all of that in my book, Something Other than God, which will be released in April. You can find out more about the book here. I have an awesome literary agent who made me slave over the manuscript for five long years, all with the goal of making it a great read. Luckily, I handled the endless delays and revisions with grace and patience, and did NOT act like a big, huge, whiney drama queen.
To give you some backstory to my posts, here are a few other things about me and my family:
- My husband, Joe, was raised by a single mother and grew up very poor. He ended up going to Yale, then getting a law degree from Columbia, and an MBA from Stanford. He studied artificial intelligence in the Computer Science graduate program while he was at Stanford, and recently became a CPA. Sometimes he dresses up like a banana.
- Joe was a lukewarm nondenominational Christian, and converted to Catholicism at the same time I did (all the details about that in the book).
- We had our own reality show, Minor Revisions. There’s a possibility of a second season, and I told them I’m all in if it’s called Minor Revisions: The Fulwilers in Tahiti.
- Joe and I met when we both worked at a high tech company. I was a PHP developer who designed web interfaces to work with databases. I’ve rarely encountered an activity that’s more of a natural fit for me than sitting in front of my computer and writing code for 16 hours at a time.
- We live in Austin.
- We have six kids under age 10.
- Our oldest and youngest are boys, and we have four very wild and girly girls in the middle. The first time we visited a monastery with our oldest, he thought it was the most amazing thing he’d ever seen that there’s a place where you can hang out with only other dudes in silence.
- Joe and I are both only children. Isn’t it crazy that our kids won’t have any cousins? Sometimes it makes me sad that I’ll never be an aunt.
- I think I might be the laziest homeschooler on the planet. Or maybe lots of other mothers consider Dora the Explorer to be their kindergarten math teacher.
- I’ve appeared on the TV shows Fox and Friends, Huffington Post Live, The Journey Home, Life on the Rock, and The Choices We Face, which taught me that it is extremely important to have a professional blow-out if you’re going to be anywhere near television camera lights.
- I’m an INTP. If you’re not familiar with Myers-Briggs personality types, let me put it this way: I once saw a sci-fi movie about a man who was a brain in a jar, and I thought, “What a great life.”
- Raising six children in a small-ish three-bedroom house when you’re an extreme introvert is…interesting. I am not above locking myself in my closet with my computer.
- My favorite genres of music are Gregorian chant and gangsta rap. I also never heard a dance remix I didn’t like, which is kind of tragic since a friend once described my dancing as “Gumby on quaaludes.”
Now, let’s talk about you. If you have a moment, leave a comment here to introduce yourself.
Nice to meet you!